2009.10.02 dateline friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what do the grunts get paid?

Yeah, that's were the problem lies. The patrol officers have to work overtime because of the many vacant positions due to cutbacks. I see what Rupf is saying, but it's still wrong and the results were horrific cruelty to innocent children. Another point; there were several prosperous years for this area and still she went undiscovered.

i see so if that patrol officer had a bigger paycheck he wouldnt have been so lazy as to not do a background check?

There's just no excuse for not looking further. I think some believe it's because there are less deputies to cover a larger area and they are working a lot of overtime. That's a good argument, but the economy was good here in 2006 and there hadn't been any cutbacks to LE then.

There's just no excuse for not looking further. I think some believe it's because there are less deputies to cover a larger area and they are working a lot of overtime. That's a good argument, but the economy was good here in 2006 and there hadn't been any cutbacks to LE then.

to me there is no excuse here. he had it right in front of him and he didnt even check the damn yard. thats plain out lazyness, stupidity, or incompetence.....not what pay level he's at

gotta ask again why im the only one that questions how incompetent the fbi was in all this.......18 years.....all they ever did was blame carl and call terry on jaycee's birthday. what a crock

Carl said he was considered a suspect for 90 days, not after that. Other people may have blamed Carl, but it wasn't the FBI.

You don't know what they were doing for the last 18 years. They can only follow leads that they have, and generally in these sorts of cases if they don't get anything solid in the first week or two the chances of solving the crime becomes very bleak unless they get incredibly lucky. If a body isnt found eventually then those cases usually are never solved.

After that it becomes a management issue, do you dedicate massive resources on an old crime with little chance of success or do you focus those resources on more recent crimes. The answer to that question should be pretty obvious to anyone with an ounce of sense. As time drags on newer crimes which have a better chance of being solved become a higher priority. Jaycee's case would have become cold a very long time ago, with little hope of progress until someone found her body (and, unusually, in this case the body turned out to still be alive - that allmost NEVER happens though). There were probably allways some cold case investigators looking at her kidnapping over the years, but they would be following up new leads as they came in, and as months turned to years, those leads would have trickled down to allmost nothing.

Carl said he was considered a suspect for 90 days, not after that. Other people may have blamed Carl, but it wasn't the FBI.

You don't know what they were doing for the last 18 years. They can only follow leads that they have, and generally in these sorts of cases if they don't get anything solid in the first week or two the chances of solving the crime becomes very bleak unless they get incredibly lucky. If a body isnt found eventually then those cases usually are never solved.

After that it becomes a management issue, do you dedicate massive resources on an old crime with little chance of success or do you focus those resources on more recent crimes. The answer to that question should be pretty obvious to anyone with an ounce of sense. As time drags on newer crimes which have a better chance of being solved become a higher priority. Jaycee's case would have become cold a very long time ago, with little hope of progress until someone found her body (and, unusually, in this case the body turned out to still be alive - that allmost NEVER happens though). There were probably allways some cold case investigators looking at her kidnapping over the years, but they would be following up new leads as they came in, and as months turned to years, those leads would have trickled down to allmost nothing.

if the fbi had done a run on that make and matched it to california sex offenders back in 1991 this possibly doesnt even take 18 days to resolve, nevver mind 18 years.
btw, the local police cleared carl within 90 days, carl has also stated he was the fbi's main suspect right till the day jaycee was found

The FBI agent on Dateline said that women don't really participate in these types of crimes and that there were times when they questioned the entire witness statement (Carl's) about there being a female abductor. Well, hey, you know what..you might just want to think outside the box sometimes especially if you have no other solid leads or signs of the missing child. I understand profiling, but find it disturbing that a lead would not be pursued strongly just because this particular perp profile didn't fit the run of the mill, textbook perp.

My favorite part though is that after she was recovered the FBI told Carl Probyn that he actually had been eliminated as a suspect after the first couple of weeks and that they knew it was someone different. Oh, really now? lol Carl mentions this in the interviews he did shortly after Jaycee was found. Of course, he was amazed by that because as far as he knew he was a suspect up until that Tuesday in August 2009 when they found her.

The FBI agent on Dateline said that women don't really participate in these types of crimes and that there were times when they questioned the entire witness statement (Carl's) about there being a female abductor. Well, hey, you know what..you might just want to think outside the box sometimes especially if you have no other solid leads or signs of the missing child. I understand profiling, but find it disturbing that a lead would not be pursued strongly just because this particular perp profile didn't fit the run of the mill, textbook perp.

My favorite part though is that after she was recovered the FBI told Carl Probyn that he actually had been eliminated as a suspect after the first couple of weeks and that they knew it was someone different. Oh, really now? lol Carl mentions this in the interviews he did shortly after Jaycee was found. Of course, he was amazed by that because as far as he knew he was a suspect up until that Tuesday in August 2009 when they found her.

barzee and michaud say "hi!" morons jeesh
the fbi is full of it. they never had any other suspects excepy michaud and her boyfriend and that was impossible cause they werent together in 91

Those are the managers though, not the folk who actually do the work.

Those are pretty standard salaries for this area. We have a very high cost of living in the Bay Area.

Not excusing that LE failed, just saying.

I would have liked to know exactly what the neighbor who called in the complaint said. Does anyone have that actual info? Did she say, "Phillip Garrido is a registered sex offender and there are children living in his backyard". Or was it a more general complaint? I find it apalling that the neighbors even knew Phillip Garrido was a sex offender, but the police officer did not. Give me a break. There is NO EXCUSE for that!! And if the complaint was indeed specifically about something going on in the "backyard" why then, didn't this officer investigate the complaint? Too bad we couldn't here it from his own mouth. Going to the front door and asking questions is not checking out the situation, period! This was a total screw up, and I'm sure the guy probably feels like dog poop now, but the excuses have to stop. There just aren't any!!

On another note, a conincidence or similarity? Did anyone else catch that Katie's rape was on Thanksgiving weekend and that Micheala's friend said it was Thanksgiving break when she was abducted?

If the parole officers had done their job, which was required by the law (e.g. interview neighbors and business associates as with all high-level threats*), then Dugard would have been found several years earlier, if not at the beginning of her ordeal. You can advocate and deliver all the reform in the world, but if the people on the ground don't actually do their job then it's pointless. This was a failure of will, not the law. If law enforcement is allowed to break the allow by refusing to do their job without fear of repercussion then they'll do it again and again. They must be held accountable. However, I doubt they ever will, no matter how egregious their actions.

This case was an obvious failure by law enforcement, at the federal and local level. It's not as if Garrido was all that impossible to spot. His own personality was that of someone who made others uncomfortable. He had several electrical cords that ran from the back of the house to the larger backyard. Why did they not simply follow to where the electrical cords went to? Especially since this man had a history of kidnapping, which involved preparing a room well to hold a captive. When a neighbor calls, worried about women and girls living in a backyard, which in itself is a crime (child abuse), why did the deputy not even bother checking on the girls, whose welfare was the entire point of the call? Notice I did not even mention the failure to do a standard background check (even though the neighbor also mentioned she was worried because he had a "psychotic sex addition"), the fact his parole officer apparently didn't even know such a call came in concerning him, or that the deputy warning him about people living in "his" backyard violated code undermined the later contention by the Sherrif's Department that they didn't even know this larger backyard was part of his property (Even it wasn't part of his property, you're supposed to check such areas because they could easily be used by the parolee).

Even that Contra Costa Sheriff unintentionally admitted that it was their failure that contributed greatly to Dugard's ordeal when he said in the days after her rescue that the greatest lesson they learned was to not assume the parolee is telling the truth. That is an unbelievable insult to anyone's intelligence! Anyone who knows anything about parole knows that it's fundamentally defined by suspicion. That's why they're on parole!

Simply: this was a clusterf@#$ of epic proportions.

*[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVDSGcMahYg"]YouTube - Who Was Supervising Phillip Garrido?[/nomedia]

Edit: I'm sorry but I meant to write, "If law enforcement is allowed to break the *law* by refusing to do their job without fear of repercussion then they'll do it again and again."

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member