2021 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

If you're on the GOM, be aware. Storm surge and flooding are the big threat.

Elsa is now expected to become a hurricane before landfall as per the official forecast. Landfall is expected to be just south of Cedar Key, near Crystal River.

Areas just to the right of landfall will likely see the worst of the wind and surge overnight into tomorrow.

Key Messages:

1. Heavy rain will impact Cuba tonight resulting in significant flooding and mudslides. As Elsa moves across the western and northern Florida Peninsula through Wednesday, heavy rainfall may result in considerable flash, urban, and minor to isolated moderate river flooding. Mid- to late-week, heavy rainfall across southeast
Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and southeastern Virginia may result in isolated flash and urban flooding, with considerable flash and urban flooding possible across coastal Georgia and the of South Carolina.

2. There is a danger of life-threatening storm surge along portions of the west coast of Florida tonight and Wednesday, and a Storm Surge Warning is in effect for that area.

3. Hurricane conditions are expected tonight and early Wednesday along a portion of the west coast of Florida, where a Hurricane Warning is in effect. Tropical storm conditions are occurring across portions of the Florida Keys and will spread northward along the west coast of the state within the warning area through Wednesday morning.

4. Although the center of Elsa is expected to remain inland of the coastline from Georgia through the Carolinas during the next couple of days, tropical storm conditions are expected in a portion of southeastern Georgia and are possible elsewhere along much of the coasts of Georgia and South Carolina.

My sister texted me earlier today to see if I was ready. I told her I had water & a Hershey Bar, I’m good. LOL!!!

Seriously tho, my hurricane shutters are on my bedroom window and have been for over a year. I like a dark bedroom to sleep in.

My oldest, the marine scientist, is in Charlotte County and is getting bands of rain now. She is in a concrete apartment building. Her colleagues in the Cedar Key office all live inland near Gainesville.Their offices are closed and of course all research field trips cancelled.

My sister texted me earlier today to see if I was ready. I told her I had water & a Hershey Bar, I’m good. LOL!!!

Seriously tho, my hurricane shutters are on my bedroom window and have been for over a year. I like a dark bedroom to sleep in.

My oldest, the marine scientist, is in Charlotte County and is getting bands of rain now. She is in a concrete apartment building. Her colleagues in the Cedar Key office all live inland near Gainesville.Their offices are closed and of course all research field trips cancelled.

Water and Hershey bar LOL!

None of my neighbors are boarding up - our apartment building is concrete, too, with hurricane windows. Well we'll see what hapens. The lights flicked a few times this afternoon with the rain but no major power outage.

Stay safe! :)

Sarasota Report:

We've had steady hard rain for at least 2 hours and so has my oldest in Charlotte County, an hour south. She is right on Charlotte Harbor too. She's been wearing ear buds while she worked from home today. That masked most sounds for her. I don't think initially that was her intent but I am actually glad she did.

She went thru Hurricane Irma in St Thomas, VI in 2017. She curled herself around the toilet and had drywall raining on her as the roof lifted and slammed back down. Her and her roommate had a twin mattress over them and they were hanging on for dear life, crying and praying out loud. Some of you may remember me writing about that in the past. To this day, storms are hard for her. So I check in via text every couple hours. If it's really bad, I call so I can gauge the anxiety in her voice.

The wind here is whistling on/off. When it was still daylight, I could see the tree branches blowing and the hood on my neighbors car blew up. After a little bit they went out, got in the car and drove off. I don't think that car lives there so they must have had visitors who left. I can hear small things hitting my roof. Likely tree branches as our power lines in the neighborhood are underground.

My place is not in a flood zone or an evacuation zone. The county has not opened any shelters, which I find foolish. One friend who's mother is near hospice is over at her parents place. Another friend is about 10 miles south but her house is on big stilts. My youngest and her boyfriend are at their new place, neither are far from the water. They haven't experienced any flooding tho.

Stay safe, and try to distract yourselves. I’m in Nova Scotia on the bay, with you in hurricane alley.

You guys sound like you know what you’re doing —you’re going to be okay. If the noise gets to be too much try audiobooks or a podcast if you can.

Filling my bathtub with water was a lifesaver after Hurricane Dorian hit us. (5 days without power.)

Check in, you’ll get through this!

Water and Hershey bar LOL!

None of my neighbors are boarding up - our apartment building is concrete, too, with hurricane windows. Well we'll see what hapens. The lights flicked a few times this afternoon with the rain but no major power outage.

Stay safe! :)
LOOK AT MY NEW RECIPE!!!! LOL!!!!
One of my besties even named it for me. Wasn’t that sweet?! Hahahaha!!!

Attachments

• 512DA9B1-589B-4DCD-AA77-DF5D021E034E.jpeg
    512DA9B1-589B-4DCD-AA77-DF5D021E034E.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 809DD775-9AE0-4B8B-9FE2-C11AFA5D9F6C.jpeg
    809DD775-9AE0-4B8B-9FE2-C11AFA5D9F6C.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 23
Well it's about time they take it seriously..... good grief. I still cannot believe they've not opened any shelters, especially for the elderly, flood prone and disabled.

Sarasota PD bring in additional response teams, ask residents to stay off roadways
Snip:

Sarasota Police have brought in additional reserve teams as conditions deteriorate on the Suncoast.

Members of the Emergency Response Team have arrived for a debriefing at headquarters.

ERT officers are trained specifically for natural disasters including hurricanes, tropical storms and floods.

Sarasota Police are asking people to stay home and off the roads as heavy wind and rains are expected all night.

I am blessed to be in the green area which is getting less storm activity than the yellow and red areas. The people on the beaches and the east areas of Myakka City and Lakewood Ranch are getting pounded.

It is guaranteed the Myakka River, the Peace River and Horse Creek out near Arcadia are probably 5’ feet over their banks.

Attachments

• 3301F711-2DDA-4085-BF8D-8EC0205AA92A.jpeg
    3301F711-2DDA-4085-BF8D-8EC0205AA92A.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 13
I was able to sleep from 2am-7am. My oldest down in Charlotte County was nailed by the tail end of the storm moving thru. She said it was nasty, the lightening kept lighting up her room plus the wind blowing through the courtyard of the complex. She tried to sleep from 11pm to 3:00am before it got really bad. This screenshot was at 4:17am.

Attachments

• 87EA85AF-379D-4D4D-9724-879213380B52.jpg
    87EA85AF-379D-4D4D-9724-879213380B52.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 11
I was able to sleep from 2am-7am. My oldest down in Charlotte County was nailed by the tail end of the storm moving thru. She said it was nasty, the lightening kept lighting up her room plus the wind blowing through the courtyard of the complex. She tried to sleep from 11pm to 3:00am before it got really bad. This screenshot was at 4:17am.

I'm glad you and your loved ones came through Elsa all right!

Looks like it's coming ashore, north of Cedar Key, Taylor area. It is still a force Floridians are going to have to deal with. Elisa is wiping her tail across the lower part of the state. If you're in north central FL stay alert for flooding. There are a lot of low areas, unincorporated areas without nearby rescue services.

Elsa strikes Florida's Gulf Coast: Live updates

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back