3-day-old baby fatally mauled by family dog, in front of parents

Phoenix, I understand your input, but my dogs never had to be introduced to my babies - they just got it, crystal clear. I was amazed, really, at how well they "got it". My dogs wouldn't approach the baby quilt when the baby was on it, would quickly back off if they were in danger of getting bonked with a baby toy, they even innately knew that food in the hands of a baby wasn't "fair game" just because they could easily have taken it. I'm a little concerned when i read websites about how to introduce the dogs, as if you're presenting the baby to the dog for approval - when I think it's the opposite. This is the baby, dog, and you are the dog.

Anyway, just reading between the lines on this story it seems this was a sweet loving family and the unthinkable occurred.

Is it really that unthinkable? A huge dog (pit bull and great dane mix) and a 3 day old newborn in the same bed. What could possibly happen here?

It seems to me that if an animal is known to have killedl a child, that animal needs a very special environment for the remainder of its life.

"It is a 2-year-old, neutered male American Staffordshire terrier-mix named Polo, DeSousa said. He said the dog will be held in 10-day quarantine to determine whether it has rabies.

After that it will be up to the owner to decide whether to reclaim the dog, he said."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/apr/22/dog-mauls-kills-baby/

If it were up to me, there is absolutely no way I would allow these people to have the dog back. This dog has to be walked and there could be other children around. Something could startle it again.

Is it really that unthinkable? A huge dog (pit bull and great dane mix) and a 3 day old newborn in the same bed. What could possibly happen here?

Dogs and babies have been together since the beginning of canine domestication. Some dogs clearly are aggressive, and parents take heed and either always separate them or rehome the dog. Some dogs - and I'm going to boldly bet this is one of those - have never displayed any aggression whatsoever and it came out of the blue.

And that's what's so terrifying about cases like this. When you see a dog progress through various communications that indicate aggressive behavior is escalating (stiff wagged tail, licking lips, hackles up, looking out of the corner of their eyes, low growl escalating to higher louder growl, and finally attack) it's easier to predict and prevent.

When it comes out of the blue - as pit bull attacks tend to do, it makes them harder to prevent and predict.

Dogs and babies have been together since the beginning of canine domestication. Some dogs clearly are aggressive, and parents take heed and either always separate them or rehome the dog. Some dogs - and I'm going to boldly bet this is one of those - have never displayed any aggression whatsoever and it came out of the blue.

And that's what's so terrifying about cases like this. When you see a dog progress through various communications that indicate aggressive behavior is escalating (stiff wagged tail, licking lips, hackles up, looking out of the corner of their eyes, low growl escalating to higher louder growl, and finally attack) it's easier to predict and prevent.

When it comes out of the blue - as pit bull attacks tend to do, it makes them harder to prevent and predict.

They were in bed together. The baby was only 3 days old. Did these parents even have enough time to observe whether this dog was "progressing" through various communications indicating aggressive behavior toward this baby?

They were in bed together. The baby was only 3 days old. Did these parents even have enough time to observe whether this dog was "progressing" through various communications indicating aggressive behavior toward this baby?

jenny, I do have a lot of experience with dogs. Yes, VERY typically, you have quite a bit of time to see the progression of aggression. Some people misunderstand, and miss the stiff tail wagging and licking of lips, but few miss growling and snapping.

The parents were in the bed too, did you realize that? (I'm not being snarky, I'm just trying to picture this completely). It's not like they weren't right there. If you are around dogs, and have the means to escape, you usually have plenty of time to get out of there. Little kids don't always "get it", and will continue to interact with a dog that is snarling. But adults who know dogs can recognize the signs and usually have more than enough time to see the bite coming. Chows, though, bite you in the butt when you're not looking. So there is that.

jenny, I do have a lot of experience with dogs. Yes, VERY typically, you have quite a bit of time to see the progression of aggression. Some people misunderstand, and miss the stiff tail wagging and licking of lips, but few miss growling and snapping.

The parents were in the bed too, did you realize that? (I'm not being snarky, I'm just trying to picture this completely). It's not like they weren't right there. If you are around dogs, and have the means to escape, you usually have plenty of time to get out of there. Little kids don't always "get it", and will continue to interact with a dog that is snarling. But adults who know dogs can recognize the signs and usually have more than enough time to see the bite coming. Chows, though, bite you in the butt when you're not looking. So there is that.

Yes, I realize parents were in the same bed. What good did that do? Obviously they didn't have enough time to react in order to prevent killing of the baby.
And I doubt at 3 days old the baby was doing anything to interact with the dog.

I love dogs. I love my dog like he is family. But he never sleeps in my bed. I even lay claim to his bed from time to time by making him get out and lying on his(he has a toddler bed)....I think letting any dog, especially powerful ones, feel like they are on a level field with you is a dangerous precedent. What's mine is mine. What my dog has, be it his food, bed, blankets, bones or toys are mine as well, I just let him have them. I think once you wait for signs of aggression to be shown, for many people not well versed in training, you have begun a climb on a slippery slope to establish pecking order.

I do feel so very awful for this family. The tragedy is so overwhelming, and I imagine they have had heard a few told you so's already based on the breed of the dog alone. I truly wish a proper training course was required for people to own big dogs, someone who is new to dogs can miss so many signs and chances to nip bad behavior before it escalates to an issue.

Who knows how that dog was raised and how the people treated it. They may not have established themselves as the leader of the pack.

My son and wife had a pit, Scary looking biggest baby ever. We watched him for one year while they went to the University in a foreign country, He refused to eat for days cuz he was so depressed.

He was a part of the family. Loved to go for car rides. They have two young children.

Our family rule is if a dog shows any aggression whatsover, he is not fit to live in a family. Growling around a food dish; any sign. Not acceptable. People do not realize they need to establish being the alpha

I love dogs. I love my dog like he is family. But he never sleeps in my bed. I even lay claim to his bed from time to time by making him get out and lying on his(he has a toddler bed)....I think letting any dog, especially powerful ones, feel like they are on a level field with you is a dangerous precedent. What's mine is mine. What my dog has, be it his food, bed, blankets, bones or toys are mine as well, I just let him have them. I think once you wait for signs of aggression to be shown, for many people not well versed in training, you have begun a climb on a slippery slope to establish pecking order.

I do feel so very awful for this family. The tragedy is so overwhelming, and I imagine they have had heard a few told you so's already based on the breed of the dog alone. I truly wish a proper training course was required for people to own big dogs, someone who is new to dogs can miss so many signs and chances to nip bad behavior before it escalates to an issue.

RSBM

Dogface ; excellent post .
Around children of any age, I would treat a dog as I would a loaded gun. Not only to protect the dog from being teased or goaded into biting in self-defense, but also to protect a child from being bitten or worse.
My opinion is that babies and small children may smell differently and move differently than adults --and may be seen by the pet as 'prey'.
Not sure if this is true-- but I'd heard that cats may sometimes react badly to the movements of a small baby, like when the baby is moving/waving his/her arms and legs ; etc.
Regardless, what a horrible thing to happen to those parents and my utmost condolences ! :(

This dog was reportedly a mix of Pit Bull with something else. He was bigger than an average pit bull. Pit bulls are among the most dangerous breeds of dogs. And even if it wasn't a pit bull, it's not a good idea to have a huge dog in bed with a newborn baby. Even if the parents are in the same bed. Obviously if dog decides to do something, parents would not have enough time to react.
http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/the-biggest/the-worlds-10-most-dangerous-dog-breeds/?view=all

The second I spotted this thread, I knew what kind of dog it was without even reading. Thats all you really need to know about this story.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/apr/22/dog-mauls-kills-baby/

The dog was NOT a pit. "According to Dan DeSousa, deputy director of the county Department of Animal Services, the dog was a 2-year-old, neutered male American Staffordshire terrier-mix named Polo"

The dog doesn't even look like a pit. I have not found ANY LE or News reporting that it was a pit.

This is a horrible tragedy, and the lesson here should be that you never expose ANY family pet to a new member to the family, especially a defenseless baby, as if they love it as much as you do. Animals are territorial, no matter what breed. Even cats are. You have to introduce the animal slowly and with distance and calmness. Always ready to intervene if there is any sensitivity. My heart breaks for these new parents.

I agree with your posts about the "pitbull" thing. However, I had a very protective (of me) German Shepherd who MAY have done the same thing. She never did kill any kids, but there were times she scared the 'ell out of them - one wouldn't even go into the house when I wasn't home. But, that doesn't let the pitbulls/mixes off the hook. They ARE more dangerous and deadly than any other breeds. Just look it up if you doubt me.

It wasn't a pit. And the dog only bit the child once, when the dog was startled. It's true.. any family pet is likely to be sensitive to an "intrusion" to their life like a new baby. All animals have some loyalty to their owners and are doing what they think they should. It's a horrible accident.

It's a pit mix. American Staffordshire Terrier IS a pit bull. This was a pit/great dane cross.

I love and admire pit bulls, but I will never ever have one because of the small risk, but truth is truth. American Staffordshire Terriers are Pit bulls, making this dog a pit bull mix.

It was not a Pit Bull and it's an unfair and misleading title to the thread. It was an American Staffordshire Terrier. Time news has reported it here.

http://time.com/4305697/san-diego-newborn-killed-by-family-dog/

The American Staffordshire Terrier, also known as Amstaff (in USA) or simply Stafford, is a medium-sized, short-coated American dog breed. It is one of several breeds commonly known as pit bulls.[2][3] In the early part of the twentieth century the breed gained social stature and was accepted by the American Kennel Club in 1936.[4] The name was changed to reflect difference from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of England.

It is definitely one of the breeds referred to as pit bulls.

It wasn't a pit. And the dog only bit the child once, when the dog was startled. It's true.. any family pet is likely to be sensitive to an "intrusion" to their life like a new baby. All animals have some loyalty to their owners and are doing what they think they should. It's a horrible accident.

The dog is a pit bull mix. And I haven't seen reported anywhere that he only bit the child once.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back