3-day-old baby fatally mauled by family dog, in front of parents

American Bulldogs and Staffordshire Terriers are extremely muscular, heavy dogs and can weigh over 100 lbs. Legs are longer than standard Pitt Bull. Like a "Super-sized" pit. Jaws are bite pressure are at the top of the list. Yes, with their strength they can lock and hold a human or other animal in such a grip a strong man cannot pry their mouths off. They also shake their victims, doing massive damage, tearing out throats, femur arteries and causing death due to bleeding out. Unfortunately I know this first hand.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

This child was declared dead upon arrival to the hospital. So I am guessing damage was severe.

Humans kill FAR more often than Pit Bulls....maybe we should exterminate humans?

Owning a Pit Bull/Mix is like owning a loaded weapon. With a gun however, you can choose not to shoot. With a Pit Bull, they are wired to mentally "snap" without warning. They are as dangerous to their owners and their children as to strangers. I agree that there should be a Breed Specific ban on them. It would not extend to all other dogs, that's ridiculous! Yes Labs and Goldens can bite, but how often is it fatal??? Not nearly at the rate of Pit Bulls who inflict far worse damage because of their locking jaws. That's why Golden Retrievers are NOT the drug dealers dog-of-choice, pit bulls are!
I sincerely hope these owners learned their lesson the hard way and don't reclaim this dog. It should be put down.

There's a reason people refer to someone as having the "Tenacity of a bulldog". It's due to their ability to hang on with a phenomenal grip.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

Owning a Pit Bull/Mix is like owning a loaded weapon. With a gun however, you can choose not to shoot. With a Pit Bull, they are wired to mentally "snap" without warning. They are as dangerous to their owners and their children as to strangers. I agree that there should be a Breed Specific ban on them. It would not extend to all other dogs, that's ridiculous! Yes Labs and Goldens can bite, but how often is it fatal??? Not nearly at the rate of Pit Bulls who inflict far worse damage because of their locking jaws. That's why Golden Retrievers are NOT the drug dealers dog-of-choice, pit bulls are!
I sincerely hope these owners learned their lesson the hard way and don't reclaim this dog. It should be put down.

Here is a case where labrador-reteriever mix tore baby's leg off.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...gs-father-slept-room-police-article-1.1065711

If you want to drink tonight please don't drive
If you drive tonight please don't drink
If you enjoy and want a large breed dog that can fit an infant's head inside it's mouth, please don't have babies in that house.
If you want babies in your your house please don't have a dog that can fit a baby's head in it's mouth.

Life is all about choices. Life doesn't have to grow complicated by making less than stellar choices

Not big? At 97 lb, he is huge and heavier than your average pit bull. And he is a pit bull mix, as has been explained by numerous posters on the thread.

Did you see the picture? I did not see any height or weight quoted. I saw some general statistics, nothing in regard to this dog.

Here's the information referenced upthread about the parents attempting to call 911 twice. I'm not sure it would have made a difference in this case, but sad.

It seems there is some doubt that the dog actually BIT the baby. Is it possible this big galut of a dog jumped toward the mom, and landed most of its weight on the baby's chest? It's odd they say "made contact" and other articles have shied away from describing the baby's injuries.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...y-Dog-Tried-to-Call-911-Twice--376867331.html

Cause of death was determined to be bite injuries to the head.
"A three-day-old infant attacked by the family dog died from bite injuries to his head, according to an autopsy report by the San Diego County Medical Examiner's office."

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...-Head-MEs-Office-377058011.html#ixzz46tpJw2Kr
Follow us: @nbcsandiego on Twitter | NBCSanDiego on Facebook

The American Staffordshire Terrier, also known as Amstaff (in USA) or simply Stafford, is a medium-sized, short-coated American dog breed. It is one of several breeds commonly known as pit bulls.[2][3] In the early part of the twentieth century the breed gained social stature and was accepted by the American Kennel Club in 1936.[4] The name was changed to reflect difference from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of England.

It is definitely one of the breeds referred to as pit bulls.

Thank you for showing me that. I didn't realize that the term "pit bull" is more or less a nickname given to several breeds that make up this group of dogs.

I'm a dog lover, but ITA with you on this breed. They aren't like other dogs, they are completely unpredictable and impulsive and were bred to be weapons, killers. They're walking time bombs. What's so sad is that they're continuing to be bred, so not only will more of these dogs suffer, also more people will be their victims.

This is such a sad, tragic story and my heart goes out to the parents. Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident as it seems as though we read or hear of pit bull related deaths more frequently than other dog breeds. When I got my first German Shepherd, Zuri, now 6, I called our insurance company to see if we needed a rider. I was told no, only if it was a pit bull.

Pit bulls get a bad rap unfortunately IMO, largely due to uneducated owners and indiscriminate breeding. When I was researching German Shepherd breeders, temperament was paramount. I also realized that I didn't know much about dog behavior, even though I had owned dogs for 15 years. I hired trainers who helped me understand dog behavior as well as helped me to train our dog. I have since added another male GSD and a rescued Manchester Terrier to our pack.

Up thread, someone asked if their GSD did not harm any of her kids because she was always there. As I have come to understand the breed, it sounds as though the poster had established herself as the alpha and her GSD accepted each child as a member of the pack. GSDs are extremely protective, smart and loyal and with the correct training, like with any other dog, is an incredible asset to any family. IMO

I have a 1/2 AmStaff, 1/4 shih tzu / 1/4 other and he is one lovable baby. He will be 3 in June and weighs 45 lbs. He has the AmStaff body on short shih tzu legs. I call him my Bull-Shitz. He gives so much love it's ridiculous. He can't sit close enough (and even sits on you most of the time), gives kisses just because and just loves to lay about Mama's feet when not at play. I don't doubt if someone threatened me he wouldn't hold back in protecting me. Chewie gets walked every day to expel some of his energy and loves tug-of-war. Also, my kids are all late twenties/early thirties, so their not little kids. My Chewie's best friend? His brother, Socks the cat! Yup! a 10 year old Tom who loves his Chewie right back.

That being said, I believe it is up to the person who chooses their pet to choose wisely. If you have babies or little kids, why would you get a dog that may attack? If you're an old lady who can't lift more than 15 pounds, why get a dog that would pull you to your knees because you can't control it? If you have a potentially dangerous dog, then it's up to you to make sure that it can't get out of the yard or put it in the position that it may harm others.

I'm not a drug dealer. I'm not a gang-banger wanna be. I'm a 55 year old white woman, 115 lbs and 5'3" tall. I have owned dogs all my life, from toy poodles, to german shorthaired hunters to my Chewie. I wouldn't trade my Chewie any day for someone's lab or pug. My Chewie fits me and my family just right.

Attachments

• Chew.jpg
    Chew.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 30
I have a 1/2 AmStaff, 1/4 shih tzu / 1/4 other and he is one lovable baby. He will be 3 in June and weighs 45 lbs. He has the AmStaff body on short shih tzu legs. I call him my Bull-Shitz. He gives so much love it's ridiculous. He can't sit close enough (and even sits on you most of the time), gives kisses just because and just loves to lay about Mama's feet when not at play. I don't doubt if someone threatened me he wouldn't hold back in protecting me. Chewie gets walked every day to expel some of his energy and loves tug-of-war. Also, my kids are all late twenties/early thirties, so their not little kids. My Chewie's best friend? His brother, Socks the cat! Yup! a 10 year old Tom who loves his Chewie right back.

That being said, I believe it is up to the person who chooses their pet to choose wisely. If you have babies or little kids, why would you get a dog that may attack? If you're an old lady who can't lift more than 15 pounds, why get a dog that would pull you to your knees because you can't control it? If you have a potentially dangerous dog, then it's up to you to make sure that it can't get out of the yard or put it in the position that it may harm others.

I'm not a drug dealer. I'm not a gang-banger wanna be. I'm a 55 year old white woman, 115 lbs and 5'3" tall. I have owned dogs all my life, from toy poodles, to german shorthaired hunters to my Chewie. I wouldn't trade my Chewie any day for someone's lab or pug. My Chewie fits me and my family just right.
Hello Chewie!!! He is a handsome boy[emoji5]

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Chewie is a lovely dog thank you for sharing.

This is a terrible horrendous tragedy the baby's parents must be inconsolable and heartbroken they are in my prayers.

This is such a sad, tragic story and my heart goes out to the parents. Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident as it seems as though we read or hear of pit bull related deaths more frequently than other dog breeds. When I got my first German Shepherd, Zuri, now 6, I called our insurance company to see if we needed a rider. I was told no, only if it was a pit bull.

Pit bulls get a bad rap unfortunately IMO, largely due to uneducated owners and indiscriminate breeding. When I was researching German Shepherd breeders, temperament was paramount. I also realized that I didn't know much about dog behavior, even though I had owned dogs for 15 years. I hired trainers who helped me understand dog behavior as well as helped me to train our dog. I have since added another male GSD and a rescued Manchester Terrier to our pack.

Up thread, someone asked if their GSD did not harm any of her kids because she was always there. As I have come to understand the breed, it sounds as though the poster had established herself as the alpha and her GSD accepted each child as a member of the pack. GSDs are extremely protective, smart and loyal and with the correct training, like with any other dog, is an incredible asset to any family. IMO

I believe you are referring to me in your last paragraph. Yes, I was leader of the pack/alpha, wouldn't have a dog that didn't learn that. Once I had a collie someone gave me and that female dog growled at me. Well, some may think I'm cruel, but I picked up a plastic helmet one of my kids had, and swatted her a good one with it. No dog in my house growls at me. She ran off but came back a short while later and apologized in dog fashion. I petted her and all was well after that. The one thing I have learned is NEVER let a dog show agression towards you.

But, on the other hand, I had another german shepherd someone gave me, this one a male. He adored me, again. I seem to have a thing with shepherds. This one could actually open doors, turn the knob with his mouth and let himself in and out. Thing is, he hated my son who was about 20 then. Well, every time my son came in the house at night, the dog would growl at him and it scared the 'ell out of my son. I finally had to give the dog back to the previous owner because my son was afraid of him. Even so, every so often that dog would come back to me, open the door and walk in. I really loved that dog and was sorry I couldn't keep him.

As an odd aside, my son whom the dog disliked, worked part time on a farm where they had a german shepherd and that dog didn't like him either - makes ya wonder if dogs don't have a real good 6th sense. The point is, one day that dog came at him and my son had time enough to shove his fist down the dogs throat. Dog backed off real quick due, I assume, to gag reflex. I'm wondering if this could be a way of saving your own life in a dog attack? Don't know for sure, but sonny says it worked for him.

I know my dog(in my avatar) picks on my husband. I had him before we were together, and I think he can sense my husbands uneasiness around him just due to the type of dog he is. He doesn't listen to basic commands from him, he literally will just walk on him if he is in the floor. With my 3 year old, I have worked to establish her higher than him in the pecking order and the dog listens to her just as well as he listens to me. She can tell him to do anything and he listens. She can take any toy, blanket or food from him, with zero problems(I am always right there with them, even though I adore my dog, I would never leave them alone together).

Another thing I have heard about dogs and small children, which doesn't really apply in this case is that because they are small and often present at eye level with dogs, dogs who don't have a perceived role in the pack will see it as a challenge. I've also heard that children's movements are more so erratic and abnormal to that of the person who is considered alpha, and simply being different can be enough to make a dog on edge.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back