$350,000 retainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she's a chronic, habitual liar, why would Kaine believe her anyway?

Until I see the exact wording of the text, I reserve judgement on whether she actually stated that's what she paid. Even then, it's not hard to put in an extra 0 by mistake.

I'd also like to know if this texting occurred before or after she hired Houze.

The only thing that matters to me is her atrocious behavior AFTER Kyron went missing. And as it stands, I dont think Kaine believes anything she says, but if she is telling someone she paid 350k, he has a right to know where its coming from, they are still married, and now she wants him to pay her lawyer fees, so more than likely she probably put out this number just to get a bit of Kaines attention.

jmo

Well... I'm assuming she paid far less based upon the motion filed yesterday. Up to that point, I had no idea what is the going rate for a top o' the line criminal defense attorney.

I understand that. I meant people assume based on the lawyer's statement. But far less has different definitions. She could have paid 150,000. That would be far less, a difference of 200,000! Or she foul have paid 35 bucks. My point is that she made the mistake of bragging about a large retainer, and the only response is "Nuh uh! That's not what I paid, I paid far less but I'm not telling what I paid! Nyah, Nyah, Nyah!" (my interpretation of the motion)

She brought this on herself. You don't want people to know things, you certainly don't brag about it and exaggerate it!

The phrase "Show me the money!" keeps running through my brain, lol.

The only thing that matters to me is her atrocious behavior AFTER Kyron went missing. And as it stands, I dont think Kaine believes anything she says, but if she is telling someone she paid 350k, he has a right to know where its coming from, they are still married, and now she wants him to pay her lawyer fees, so more than likely she probably put out this number just to get a bit of Kaines attention.

jmo

She'd only have put it out there for Kaine's attention if she suspected Cook was snooping about for his old high school buddy. IF that's what she suspected, maybe she DID lie and tell Cook she paid that absurdly high amount, hoping to get Kaine's goat. I don't know if that's what happened, but if that was her intention then it worked.

I understand that. I meant people assume based on the lawyer's statement. But far less has different definitions. She could have paid 150,000. That would be far less, a difference of 200,000! Or she foul have paid 35 bucks. My point is that she made the mistake of bragging about a large retainer, and the only response is "Nuh uh! That's not what I paid, I paid far less but I'm not telling what paid! You just have to trust me!"

She brought this on herself. You don't want people to know things, you certainly don't brag about it and exaggerate it!

The phrase "Show me the money!" keeps running through my brain, lol.

The judge has already ruled on the show cause. Before he allows the abatement, I'm betting he asks to see proof of what she actually paid Houze.

If she's a chronic, habitual liar, why would Kaine believe her anyway?

Until I see the exact wording of the text, I reserve judgement on whether she actually stated that's what she paid. Even then, it's not hard to put in an extra 0 by mistake.

I'd also like to know if this texting occurred before or after she hired Houze.

JMO but I don't think Kaine believes her. I think he wants to find out how much she is paying and how she came into that money, however much she paid.

The fact that he saw a text message claiming she paid this much is reason enough to question it. I would fire my divorce attorney if she did anything other than demand to know how my unemployed spouse is footing a huge bill like this.

this is what I personally think about the 350k:

1)Kaine finds out about the text stating the amount of the retainer
2)His lawyer files a motion to figure it out
3)TMH's DIVORCE atty files for abatement and states that the 350k was grossly overstated

bottom line is the battle has been waged and now it will play out in a court of law... so whether it be that TMH is lying and she did pay that amount, or she typed in too many zeros on her phone, now it will be figured out in a court of law... and than they can move on with their divorce proceedings.

This is just my humble opinion... but I could care less what she paid her defense atty. Either she did pay 350k or she didn't.. and if the money legally can be divided as a marital asset it will...

moo

eta: what gets my head spinning/puts the confussion cherry on this is how the criminal atty's retainer is now enmeshed with the divorce proceedings! It is confusing!

I have to add to my post now...
http://www.kgw.com/news/Kyron-Hormans-step-mom-Terri-wont-contest-divorce-from-Kaine-99500504.html
4)Terry wants Kaine to pay her legal fees for the divorce

Yes, IF its false, its not anyone but Terri Hormans fault for texting it to someone, she is the one who put the figure out there, I dont think her lawyer is refuting that she put it out there, hes refuting she actually paid that. I dont think the cops are lying on Terri Horman. Why she felt compelled to tell someone thats how much she paid, I have no idea, I have a feeling shes not playing with a full deck.

Does anyone think that Terri just texted that number since she knows LE is checking everything she does and she said that to throw some BS out there on a whim or just to be a pain in LE's *advertiser censored**?

It COULD be that the $350,000 is what the potential outcome might be if this case goes to trial.

That could be. I also wondered if maybe she exaggerated the amount in hopes of trying to get some financial help from her "friend" MC.

My guesses for why Kaine's atty filed the show-me-the-money motion:

• To put more pressure on Terri, force her to answer a pleading, make her engage in defending herself, possibly be questioned by a judge.
  • Even if the 350k is inaccurate, I think it's reasonable for Kaine to question where the money is coming from since Terri is unemployed:

1. He wants to be sure she isn't using joint assets or entering into any sort of contract that might ultimately obligate him to repay some portion of the funds.
  2. Wants to confirm that she hasn't come into money she never told him about that would be considered a marital asset.
  • Rackner has stated in pleadings that her office has thus far fronted the costs of representing Kaine. If there's money to be had, well...she is a lawyer, and I'm sure she'd like to get paid.

Does anyone think that Terri just texted that number since she knows LE is checking everything she does and she said that to throw some BS out there on a whim or just to be a pain in LE's *advertiser censored**?

Yes, and to get Kaines attention, she knew it was an eye raising amount, shes calculating. jmo

Could be. But all it did was show that she's a liar. IMO.

The judge has already ruled on the show cause. Before he allows the abatement, I'm betting he asks to see proof of what she actually paid Houze.

bbm

Really? I have not heard that. What did he rule? Link?

was a gross exageration, according to one of TH's attorneys so why does eveyone keep stating that if TH has $350,000 to pay a criminal attorney then she needs to pay for this, or that or that it needs to be reported as a gift, that she's a tax evader, etc. I don't get it. :waitasec:

Why do "rumors" in this case keep being reported as fact over and over when they have been proven as false multiple times?

Define "gross exaggeration." What does that mean? $10,000? $100,000? $300,000? We just don't know. Lawyers are good at turning phrases to meet their needs. That is what they are paid to do. All we know is that she told someone she paid $350,000, and her attorney, without offering any proof, says she did not.

It could be she has only given him $50,000, with her parent's home tendered. It would be truthful to say she has not paid Houze $350,000. Just $50,000 and a house, right? Let's wait to find out what the actual truth to the matter is.

What we do know is that Terri is in this pickle because of Terri.

Define "gross exaggeration." What does that mean? $10,000? $100,000? $300,000? We just don't know. Lawyers are good at turning phrases to meet their needs. That is what they are paid to do. All we know is that she told someone she paid $350,000, and her attorney, without offering any proof, says she did not.

It could be she has only given him $50,000, with her parent's home tendered. It would be truthful to say she has not paid Houze $350,000. Just $50,000 and a house, right? Let's wait to find out what the actual truth to the matter is.

What we do know is that Terri is in this pickle because of Terri.

Really? We know that? We suspiscions, hunches and rumors. I see nothing concrete that says TH is responsible for any of this.

I'm trying to look at this objectively and not convict someone based on the non-facts that are out there right now. If it is proven that TH did anything to Kyron then I'm right there with everyone else with the torches. But until then...

Really? We know that? We suspiscions, hunches and rumors. I see nothing concrete that says TH is responsible for any of this.

I'm trying to look at this objectively and not convict someone based on the non-facts that are out there right now. If it is proven that TH did anything to Kyron then I'm right there with everyone else with the torches. But until then...

I think she meant in a pickle for the money. We do know that there's a text out there where she said she paid 350,000 to her attorney. I don't think she was referencing the entire case, just that Terri's exaggerating of her payment to her attorney is clearly her fault.

I think she meant in a pickle for the money. We do know that there's a text out there where she said she paid 350,000 to her attorney. I don't think she was referencing the entire case, just that Terri's exaggerating of her payment to her attorney is clearly her fault.

bbm

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

(But now that you mention it...)

But none of it really matters if Cook has the text that says 350k. Typo or not.

It does matter, because the text is still not proof. The proof is going to be in the contract between her and her lawyer, and it's what the judge will look at.

It does matter, because the text is still not proof. The proof is going to be in the contract between her and her lawyer, and it's what the judge will look at.

I agree, but the text is proof that Terri did text someone and put a specific number on what she paid her attorney, 350,000. It's proof that this number just wasn't pulled out of thin air. Now the proof of the actual amount paid is in the contract itself, and most likely the judge will ask to see that contract.

How do we (the collective of all members at WS, each of whom is free to express their own individual opinion) know it was an exaggeration versus a typo? I don't think I got that memo.

Yes, I would like to see the link to the ruling on the show cause too...

Additionally, I will be hugely interested to see what the judge rules on the request for abatement. It is my hope that the judge has and shows great wisdom.

My personal hope for the situation is that the judge rules that it is in the best interest of a parent suffering the "loss" of their child (until it is shown otherwise), and the knowledge that their marital partner attempted to put out a contract on their life to expedite this divorce, clean, cut and dry. I believe that to allow the abatement of this divorce would be very cruel under the circumstances. I believe that equitability in the divorce can be shown to Terri despite the cloud that hangs over her. Both parties need to show what they have of marital property and get it equitably split. Both have new challenges in life and will need all of the funds they can rescue from being diminished by legal costs.

How do we (the collective of all members at WS, each of whom is free to express their own individual opinion) know it was an exaggeration versus a typo? I don't think I got that memo.

We don't. But I must say, if I could blame more things in my life on typos, my life would be a lot easier. Blaming it on a typo just seems like a copout to me, a way of saying she didn't exaggerate it, she just typed it wrong. It could be a typo, but that just seems like a lame excuse to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500