7.8 Magnitude Earthquake in Turkey

I'm really worried about this little boy that was hurt in air raids in Aleppo several years back.
He was featured on the frontpage of many international papers with blood on his face. One of his brothers did not survive.
Last picture I saw said he was happy in Aleppo, this was a few days before the earthquake,
His name is Omran. Please post if you see anything!
Probably wearing a brown/ beige coat and blue hat <3 <3 <3

I'm really worried about this little boy that was hurt in air raids in Aleppo several years back.
He was featured on the frontpage of many international papers with blood on his face. One of his brothers did not survive.
Last picture I saw said he was happy in Aleppo, this was a few days before the earthquake,
I saw him mentioned in a tweet last week but no photo. :( I'll keep an eye out! MOO

#OmranDaqneesh

I remember Omran (Daqneesh). He stole my heart and my heart broke for him and his family as well. I too recall that one of his brothers did not make it. :(

There is a Wikipedia page for Omran but its not been updated.

FEB 12, 2023
3 hr 15 min ago

More than 2,000 people discharged from hospitals in Istanbul

More than 2,000 people have been discharged from hospitals in the Turkish city of Istanbul following treatment for injuries suffered in Monday’s powerful earthquake, Turkish state broadcaster TRT Haber reported on Sunday.

2 hr 22 min ago

Israeli aid group leaves Turkey due to ‘immediate’ security threat

Israeli search-and-rescue group United Hatzalah is leaving Turkey after six days on the ground due to a “significant security threat” targeting the group, it announced Sunday.
United Hatzalah chief executive Eli Pollack and vice president of operations Dov Maisel said in a statement they had “received intelligence of a concrete and immediate threat on the Israeli delegation and we have to put the security of our personnel first.”

1 hr 34 min ago

Austrian Army resumes rescue operations in Turkey following brief suspension over security risks

The Austrian Army has resumed rescue operations in Turkey following a brief halt due to security risks, according to the Austrian Forces Disaster Relief Unit (AFDRU).
Operations were suspended early on Saturday due to an “increasingly difficult security situation,” AFDRU said in a statement that day, adding there was “increasing aggression between groups in Turkey.”

1 hr 6 min ago

Hatay airport in Turkey resumes operations following deadly earthquake

Turkey’s Hatay airport – which is located in one of the provinces worst hit by Monday’s catastrophic earthquake – has resumed operations, the Turkish Transport Ministry said on Sunday.

“We quickly repaired the damage on the Hatay Airport runway. Our airport started to operate today,” Turkey’s Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure said in its official Twitter page, sharing before and after images of the airport’s runway, which was badly damaged following the 7.8 magnitude earthquake and was deemed “unusable” by officials.

23 min ago

Earthquake death toll exceeds 33,000 across Turkey and Syria -- and is expected to rise

The death toll across Turkey and Syria following Monday’s catastrophic earthquake has reached 33,181, according to the latest figures.

The death toll in Turkey has climbed to 29,605, Turkish Emergency Coordination Center SAKOM said Sunday.

Investigator — who uncovered atrocities in Syria — killed by the quake in Turkey, organization says

From CNN's Jomana Karadsheh and Celine Alkhaldi

A nonprofit leader who uncovered injustices in Syria with powerful investigations was killed in the February 6 earthquake in Turkey with his family, the organization said Sunday.
“It is with the deepest sorrow that we announce the death of our Deputy Chief of the Syria Investigations Unit, Mustafa, and his family,” the Commission for International Justice and Accountability (CIJA) said in a statement.
“Mustafa, his wife Rola, their beautiful children Tala, Hanin, Mays and Omar all perished in the devastating earthquake that struck North-Western Syria and Turkey on 06 February 2023,” the statement said.
“Mustafa was from Ar Rastan, Homs which is where his investigative journey began. A trained lawyer, he was a highly skilled international crimes investigator who secured enormous troves of evidence inside Syria,” the statement said.
:(

and:
The death toll across Turkey and Syria following Monday’s catastrophic earthquake has reached at least 34,179 on Sunday.

I wonder if he has any relatives to go to...?
I saw the other little one born in the rubble was taken in by their uncle.
As heartwarming as it is to see these tiny survivors, I wonder how many there are and if they can all be found by relatives, adopted etc...
His little face when he was found will stay with me for a long time, he looks so hopeful and trusting!

I wonder if he has any relatives to go to...?
I saw the other little one born in the rubble was taken in by their uncle.
As heartwarming as it is to see these tiny survivors, I wonder how many there are and if they can all be found by relatives, adopted etc...
His little face when he was found will stay with me for a long time, he looks so hopeful and trusting!
I am sure this adorable little guy will be well looked after.
Turkish people love and cherish children :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back