8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM
I agree and what I see him focusing on is fighting back against the accusations that she was an alcoholic..IMO what I interpret Daniel S to be saying is that only alcoholics drive drunk...so since she's not an alcoholic she wasn't drunk and so it must be medical. :bang:

IMO The main issue to me is, regardless if she was an alcoholic or not, on that particular day, she was operating a motor vehicle while impaired, according to the tox. reports.

:twocents: :)

I agree with all of this, Intermezzo. I truly believe he wants to clear her name and resolve what is an absolute mystery to him and others who knew her. He's a mess and I just want to hug him. I cannot even imagine what he must be feeling. So much sadness here....

DNA TESTING FOR NY WRONG-WAY DRIVERS TOOTHBRUSH

http://www.northjersey.com/news/ny_metro/DNA_testing_for_NY_wrong-way_drivers_toothbrush_.htmlWHITE PLAINS, N.Y. —

Snipped: DNA will be extracted from a toothbrush used by a wrong-way driver who caused a deadly crash to help determine whether tests that found she was drunk were valid, a private investigator said Thursday.

The toothbrush was taken from Diane Schuler's home in West Babylon, on Long Island, and was sent to a lab for a DNA footprint, investigator Thomas Ruskin said.

More at Link above

Autopsy and Toxicology Report - Diane Schuler

This was probably posted already and I missed it. 20 pages.

http://www.lohud.com/assets/pdf/BH14176392.PDF
(Sorry if this has already been discussed, I haven't had a chance to read all of the posts)

I noticed Schuler's blood work was the basic blood tests you would expect for the driver involved in such a serious MVA- glucose, electrolyte, kidney function and alcohol. I don't know if the screening for pot is standard, but I didn't see the typical screen for controlled substances - maybe all of the tox reports on controlled substances aren't back yet? (Although urine tox screens can be completed as fast as the urine test that found alcohol in her system - why isn't there a full drug screen report? Why test specifically for only pot?)

There are a few blood tests that could indicate whether Schuler abused alcohol such as a GGT and you might find low platlet count, changes to the red blood cells etc. If she had regular blood work done, her liver function tests, CBC or lipid profile might also be indicators. (The liver is also pretty resiliant and it can take a lot of abuse before showing any signs of damage).

Schuler's husband going on LK ahead of knowing the results of any of her blood tests prior to the accident, or having her post-mortem blood work re-checked seems pointless to me. Why not have her post-mortem blood and tissue tests re-done and then discuss the results? Why not say 'my wife had a blood test done on this date prior to the accident and all of her tests were normal with no indication of alcohol abuse...'?

I know that he may not have seen signs of alcohol abuse and he wants to defend her, but I think that he has to defend the lab results with more extensive lab results.

ETA: I think there must be some indication that she routinely drank excessively because I can't imagine a social drinker being able to drink that much in such a short period of time.

I think if Schuler truly believes that there's another explanation, he must go forward. For his son's sake, it is important to get to the truth. His little boy is going to have a very difficult time understanding and accepting his mother's actions on that day (not to mention the burden of surviver's guilt and taunts from school mates etc.) My thoughts and prayers are with him.

Police: Another drunk, wrong-way driver on NY road

September 10, 2009 By The Associated Press

YORKTOWN, N.Y. (AP) — Another very drunk driver was going the wrong direction on the same suburban highway where eight people were killed in a wrong-way crash in July, state police said Thursday.
This time, there was no crash and no casualties, the police said.
The driver, Gregorio Pena, 44, of the Bronx, was arrested late Wednesday night after state police received a report of a wrong-way car on the Taconic Parkway just north of New York City. They found Pena driving a livery cab north in the parkway's southbound lanes in Yorktown and pulled him over. He had no passengers.

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/police-another-drunk-wrong-way-driver-on-ny-road-1.1435549

Police: Another drunk, wrong-way driver on NY road

September 10, 2009 By The Associated Press

YORKTOWN, N.Y. (AP) — Another very drunk driver was going the wrong direction on the same suburban highway where eight people were killed in a wrong-way crash in July, state police said Thursday.
This time, there was no crash and no casualties, the police said.
The driver, Gregorio Pena, 44, of the Bronx, was arrested late Wednesday night after state police received a report of a wrong-way car on the Taconic Parkway just north of New York City. They found Pena driving a livery cab north in the parkway's southbound lanes in Yorktown and pulled him over. He had no passengers.

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/police-another-drunk-wrong-way-driver-on-ny-road-1.1435549

Lucky duck! I wonder where he got on the Taconic. I am glad he was stopped before something disastrous occurred.

Just saw on the early morning news that another drunk driver was caught going the wrong way on the Taconic. An illegal immigrant from Ossining, NY, under the legal drinking age, went 6 miles the wrong way before being stopped by troopers. Thank God no one was killed or maimed. What really got to me was that the reporters broadcasting the story were questioning what was wrong with the Taconic that this is happening so often, not what steps should be taken to increase the penalty for drunk drivers?

Lexington, I understand what you're saying, but I wonder what's wrong with the Taconic too. What is it about the signs or layout that makes me people think they are going the right way. I know alcohol is affecting these drivers' judgement,but there has to be something else. It seems to be happening too often.

Lexington, I understand what you're saying, but I wonder what's wrong with the Taconic too. What is it about the signs or layout that makes me people think they are going the right way. I know alcohol is affecting these drivers' judgement,but there has to be something else. It seems to be happening too often.

I agree 100%, lizzybeth - and actually, it is more feasible to change a poorly marked entrance/exit than to make millions of individuals stop drinking and driving.

The reality is that tougher laws on drunk drivers will have little impact on cutting down on the number of drunk drivers because as a general rule, a drunk driver is too impaired to think about potential consequences - most folks who drink and drive believe they are okay enough to make it to their destination without getting hurt, hurting someone else, or getting pulled over and arrested.

I'm not saying we shouldn't work on getting more consistent laws in place. I believe that the disparity between one drunk driver getting charged with murder and another drunk driver getting off with a light probation is just insane. It sends the message that we don't care at all about drunk driving as long as no one is harmed by it.

Victim's kin: Husband's denial a "hoax" and he too should submit hair sample for drug test

A war of words - and threatened lab tests - continues to escalate among relatives of victims of the fatal July 26 head-on crash on the Taconic State Parkway.

The family of two Yonkers men killed in the wreck called for the husband of wrong-way driver Diane Schuler to submit a hair sample to determine if he has a history of drug use.

(more @ link)

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090905/NEWS01/90905003

I honestly don't see what him submitting to a drug test would prove. He wasn't the one driving. If his drug test came back positive, that would have absolutely no bearing on anything.

Daniel S needs to put up or shut up. Either he exhumes the body and allows the testing, or he stops saying that the tests are wrong (at least publicly).

All this big talk about proving that she wasn't really drunk is just going to get him into trouble. It makes him look bad when he never follows through on his promises to investigate further, and it is making the plaintiffs more and more angry.

Someone get the man a grief counselor before he ruins what is left of his life.

I was thinking before Daniel S was listening too much to his attorney, but I'm beginning to think he is more interested in protecting himself more than his late wife. :waitasec: my two pennies...

The article states the Bastardi Family wants the 5 year old to testify next month for their civil suit. While I understand they want answers. I cannot believe the would suggest this little boy would be emotionaly well enough to handle explaining in court, a day that changed his entire world. What are they thinking? I hope they get this boy a Guardian Ad Litem and they prevent this. I do believe his emotional well being should be not unsettled because of a lawsuit. He may be asked questions that, later on he may relate to either being blamed in her death or even have impressions that his mother killed people on purposed at his young age it is to complex to subject him for him. IMO

The article states the Bastardi Family wants the 5 year old to testify next month for their civil suit. While I understand they want answers. I cannot believe the would suggest this little boy would be emotionaly well enough to handle explaining in court, a day that changed his entire world. What are they thinking? I hope they get this boy a Guardian Ad Litem and they prevent this. I do believe his emotional well being should be not unsettled because of a lawsuit. He may be asked questions that, later on he may relate to either being blamed in her death or even have impressions that his mother killed people on purposed at his young age it is to complex to subject him for him. IMO

I don't think there's a chance in the world that this child will ever testify in open Court about this incident. First of all, I don't think this case will go to trial. Secondly, I doubt he knows or remembers anything pertinent.

I don't think there's a chance in the world that this child will ever testify in open Court about this incident. First of all, I don't think this case will go to child. Secondly, I doubt he knows or remembers anything pertinent.

I second that. The chances of him remembering anything are slim to none. Plus, he's only five years old!!! How would his testimony even be reliable??

I don't think there's a chance in the world that this child will ever testify in open Court about this incident. First of all, I don't think this case will go to trial. Secondly, I doubt he knows or remembers anything pertinent.

I know your right. It just bugged me that it was even suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa