8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

In an interview with state police, Joan Schuler, the wife of Daniel's brother, told investigators Diane "smoked pot all the time, after the kids went to sleep, after they went to school," Anolik said. "She smoked it before she went to bed."

Gosh. Daniel Schuler is awfully quiet these days. I wonder why???:snooty:

Obviously people knew about her alcohol and drug use. Is he really dumb enough to believe the truth wouldn't come out??

Obviously people knew about her alcohol and drug use. Is he really dumb enough to believe the truth wouldn't come out??

And why would anyone let their children ride with her to start with?:confused:

And why would anyone let their children ride with her to start with?:confused:

That's what I was asking in a couple of posts up. If the sister-in-law knew her to drink and smoke why would she allow her to drive her children. She either had to think the mother only did this while the kids weren't around or she thought the husband was going to drive the kids home.

That's what I was asking in a couple of posts up. If the sister-in-law knew her to drink and smoke why would she allow her to drive her children. She either had to think the mother only did this while the kids weren't around or she thought the husband was going to drive the kids home.

Different sister-in-law, lizzy. This one that was quoted is Daniel's brother's wife. The ones with the 3 girls who died is Diane's brother's wife.

Yes, different SIL. And also, even this one said DS drank and smoked "AFTER the kids go to bed, AFTER the kids go to school" etc.

So maybe they did think she was careful enough to make sure the kids were safe before she started.

Even though I can't imagine Daniel didn't know about her drug abuse, I have a hard time believing he put his entire life into that car knowing she was impaired or looking to get that way.

It's just so sad that no one could stop her.

Different sister-in-law, lizzy. This one that was quoted is Daniel's brother's wife. The ones with the 3 girls who died is Diane's brother's wife.

Thank you for setting me straight.

The depositions of the witnesses are very interesting to read, as the witnesses range in handwriting and had seen her north of the Harriman toll booths, at the Ramapo Rest Area, after that, campgrounds, McDonalds, up until she got on the wrong way of the Taconic (when a lot called 911).
Evidently her brother knew she was all drunk and drugged as he had the police looking for her. It's too bad she couldn't just have pulled over and waited, a lot of lives would have been saved that day.

Incident Report (PDF file)
http://www.lohud.com/assets/pdf/BH146333119.PDF
Accident report (PDF file)
http://www.lohud.com/assets/pdf/BH146336119.PDF
Depositions Witness Accounts (PDF file as well)
http://www.lohud.com/assets/pdf/BH146337119.PDF

My apologies if these have been posted already, i just saw them in an article today that said she was seen looking like she was about to vomit when she had pulled over

http://www.lohud.com/article/2009911100348

Some interesting details and questions:

The children were belted and no none was thrown from the car. They were all removed from the car during the rescue.

Daniel confirmed that DS had 2 daiquiris on Friday night and occasionally smoked pot. Hardly "a glass of champagne on New Year's" that it turned into!

Daniel told investigators that DS had "no known health problems."

Joan Hance told investigators from the beginning that DS smoked pot in the evenings after the kids went to bed. How did Daniel think he was going to cover that up???

Although Warren Hance asked multiple agencies multiple times to look for his sister, even asking if an Amber Alert could be issues, there is no record of anyone actually looking for her.

Despite repeated requests, Daniel could not be bothered to be interviewed until 8/14, 19 DAYS after the accident.

Why does the Sunoco clerk refuse to speak with LE? Did he sell her something? Notice that she was impaired?

Why is Kate's TOD 14:18 while everyone else involved has a TOD of 15:45? Is that just a typo? Or were they brought to different medical centers and just pronounced at different times?

Why was DS driving with her headlights on in the middle of a beautiful day?

Some interesting details and questions:

The children were belted and no none was thrown from the car. They were all removed from the car during the rescue.

Daniel confirmed that DS had 2 daiquiris on Friday night and occasionally smoked pot. Hardly "a glass of champagne on New Year's" that it turned into!

Daniel told investigators that DS had "no known health problems."

Joan Hance told investigators from the beginning that DS smoked pot in the evenings after the kids went to bed. How did Daniel think he was going to cover that up???

Although Warren Hance asked multiple agencies multiple times to look for his sister, even asking if an Amber Alert could be issues, there is no record of anyone actually looking for her.

Despite repeated requests, Daniel could not be bothered to be interviewed until 8/14, 19 DAYS after the accident.

Why does the Sunoco clerk refuse to speak with LE? Did he sell her something? Notice that she was impaired?

Why is Kate's TOD 14:18 while everyone else involved has a TOD of 15:45? Is that just a typo? Or were they brought to different medical centers and just pronounced at different times?

Why was DS driving with her headlights on in the middle of a beautiful day?
I can answer the last question: she was drunk and stoned...:furious:

Me, too..........it's supposed to be much safer.

How ironic is that? Drunk out of her mind, but has her "lights on for safety." :mad:

("Lights on for Safety" was a public service announcement-type think many years ago.)

Gosh, this whole incident just hit me like a ton of bricks again, just like when I first read about it. It is awful reading the accident report and you see just how many people saw Diane but were unable to do anything to stop her. I read one account where Diane was behind someone pulling into a rest stop, and she was honking at them and following too closely. I have to say if she had done that to me, and we both ended up pulling into the same rest stop, I'd have probably been over at her car yelling at her.

It is just haunting to think how close so many people got to stopping her, but it just didn't happen.

You are so right, robinparten. It hits me like a ton of bricks too, every time something new is released regarding this tragedy. Just so incredibly senseless and heartbreaking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/07/nyregion/07taconic.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

"The sister-in-law of the woman who killed herself and seven others when she hit another car head-on while driving the wrong way on the Taconic State Parkway in July, told investigators that the woman smoked marijuana regularly and was a heavy drinker, according to a lawyer for the family of two of the victims."

All I can say is wow, just wow.:furious::furious:

Also, did anyone watch Law and Order last night, about a wrong way crash???
I am not surprised.
There was a broken bottle of vodka found at the scene, there was a toxicology screen showing she had high blood alcohol level, and that she had pot in her system.
I mean, really.

I always drive with the headlights on. We keep the lights knob turned so they come on when you turn on the car.

VB

Many cars lights go on as soon as the car is started- day or night, rain or shine.. you can't turn 'em off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500