911 Call

It's good until she realizes just how ridiculous a ransom note sounds,when she starts to say 'there's a ran...' then stops and instead says..'there's a note here and our daughter is gone'.

This was posted here on Websleuths, but on a different topic by IzzyBlanch

bulletin from the FBI, http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/2008-pdfs/june08leb.pdf

911 HOMICIDE CALLS AND STATEMENT ANALYSIS, IS THE CALLER THE KILLER?

The article begins on page 23 .

SUPER INTERESTING for sure!

Fantastic article, thank you for posting it! I have to believe that Patsy was already distancing herself from JB during the 911 call. I'm 'the' Mother, as Dee Dee stated is so far from the way most Moms would speak. I could hear myself being distraught, that is understandable, but I would be saying, 'please get my baby back! I don't know where she is or who took her! I don't want her to get hurt! My baby is missing and I want to know where she is! Who could take my baby?'I don't care if my child was 2 or 10, in this situation my Mom instinct would be in total overdrive and that would be MY baby they had.

The Ramsey's continued to distance themselves from Jon Benet in their speech patterns. Lately John seems almost derogatory toward Jon Benet. Very sad. I wonder, what the FBI told the BPD about Patsy during the 911 call. Although if they had this article in hand, I think that they would have said one word, 'guilty'.

Funny thing is, I truly believe that Burke is up to his eyeballs in this. How could Patsy have ever lived with that fact? I know I wouldn't have been able to.

Does anyone else feel as if John was trying to throw Patsy under the bus, when he talked about the fact that a woman may have written the ransom note, as it looked similar to Patsy's writing? Sure looked that way, like when Patsy referred to her husband as John Ramsey. Truly bizarre individuals.

Hi Sunnie! I don't know if he was trying to throw Patsy under the bus or just making sure the bus was driving in the right direction! After all, he would have thrown her under before he would have gotten run over.

Fantastic article, thank you for posting it! I have to believe that Patsy was already distancing herself from JB during the 911 call. I'm 'the' Mother, as Dee Dee stated is so far from the way most Moms would speak. I could hear myself being distraught, that is understandable, but I would be saying, 'please get my baby back! I don't know where she is or who took her! I don't want her to get hurt! My baby is missing and I want to know where she is! Who could take my baby?'I don't care if my child was 2 or 10, in this situation my Mom instinct would be in total overdrive and that would be MY baby they had.
Cropped by me. My bold:

I only listened to the 911 call for the first time the other day and that comment "I'm the mother" really struck me as odd. I thought it was just me, i see now that it isn't.

Actually what I find weird about this call (didn't realize it before) is that she hung up.I mean,wouldn't you want help from the operator,instructions,what to do what NOT to do (like call your friends over when the kidnappers are watching over ya).You would cling to that voice! IMO
And she never asks "what shall I do?" etc

(Emphasis added.)

I'm williing to overlook a lot of odd behavior from people in an extraordinary situation, and I think we should be very careful not to assume we know how "we would react."

But what gets me about the Rs are the glaring contradictions in their behaviors; it's as if they have no characters of their own.

To wit, they tell us that despite the threats in the RN, they never even stopped to consider, much less discuss, whether or not to contact police.

Okay, I'll buy that. They respected authority and immediately turned to that authority in a crisis. (I think I might do the same, FWIW.)

YET AT OTHER TIMES, they simply ignore LE, countermand LE's instructions and finally refuse to cooperate with LE at all. These actions don't make them guilty, but they do indicate to me very different characters from the ones who called the police at the risk of losing their daughter.

So the point isn't that the Rs do or don't act as I would act, they don't even act as THEY would act. Except when they do.

I do find it so odd that they decided right away to call the police even though the RN said not to. If you were confronted with the situation, and since $118,00 was not that much money to them, don't you think you would get the money as soon as you can and not contact anyone hoping to save your childs life? IMO that seems like a logical thing to do.

Also, they were in such a hurry to have the police come, but when they got there they did not even cooperate. IMO any parent who was innocent would be interviewed asap, and give as much information as they could to help find the killer.

I do find it so odd that they decided right away to call the police even though the RN said not to. If you were confronted with the situation, and since $118,00 was not that much money to them, don't you think you would get the money as soon as you can and not contact anyone hoping to save your childs life? IMO that seems like a logical thing to do.

Also, they were in such a hurry to have the police come, but when they got there they did not even cooperate. IMO any parent who was innocent would be interviewed asap, and give as much information as they could to help find the killer.

In all fairness, I have to say that if it were me I would still call police no matter what the note said, as would many people. However, what I would NOT do is call over to the house an assortment of friends and clergy and victims' advocates. Especially if the note said the house was being watched. THAT is what makes me suspicious that this group of people called over to (and allowed to remain) in an active crime scene had one purpose- to contaminate the crime scene (which it did- the "friends" wiped down the kitchen- the place the flashlight was found- and may even have been responsible for wiping the flashlight itself). It also served to distract the police and provide more of a buffer between the Rs and LE at the house.

I have to agree...if you don't call the Police, what exactly should you be doing? Playing cards?

Even a ransom demander would expect you to have called the Police, it's why they don't talk for long, disguise their voice etc.

When I listen to the call, there are four things that really stand out.

Firstly, the opening "We have a kidnapping" - it sounds like she is directing, not asking for help.

Second, when the operator asks 'did it say who took her?', Patsy's reply of 'what?' sounds majorly p***ed off to me. Then after the operator asks again, Patsy says 'it says S.B.T.C, Victory'...it doesn't sound to me as if she has bent down and read it off the note, it sounds like she is quite familiar with the phrase, despite it being an odd thing to have on a ransom note and if the initials mean nothing, it seems unlikely that someone in such a state would remember them after reading them just once.

Third, immediately after Patsy says "I'm the mother" she suddenly cries "Oh my god!". It's as if she suddenly has 'undistanced' herself from Jonbenet & the things that have gone on overnight, and the horror has just hit her.

Fourth, I find it odd that she never once mentions Jonbenet's name.

And as others have mentioned, I can't understand why Patsy made the call instead of John.

Hi, jkb,

I believe I have equally valid rebuttal to your contention that "had this kidnapping been real" JR would have made that call.

bbm

I totally agree, KK. I think the adrenaline had run out hours ago (before she wrote the note) and this was all the drama queen could give. I've said it before and I'll say it again, had this kidnapping been real, John Ramsey would have made that call. He knows, we know, LE knows, and every IDI in the world knows.

Of course this all my opinion, I'm sure an IDI will come along any minute to explain why JR was too busy to make the call. yeah, right.

From a guy's perspective:

One of the first things JR did (according to their interviews) was review the RN by placing it on the floor, with each page adjacent to the next.

That action is of a guy attempting to absorb a broad view of the situation and attempting to determine a best path to resolution.

Most guys (from earlier generations, JR and me included) are wired that way. How many guys stop at a gas station and ask for directions?

Of course, asking directions does not fit in with the same category as having your child kidnapped .. so don't go there .. I'm simply pointing out that I believe JR was attempting to approach the situation from a logical guy perspective .. he was going to resolve this.

Reading the RN, absorbing what the composer wrote, determining what he was demanding, how best to get it to him, etc. would be first and foremost on JR's mind .. as I expect it would be for me.

After the child is returned safe to his or her parent's arms is when a guy's emotion and rage would be fully directed on killing the kidnapper(s) .. etc.

I can not fully determine why JR thought it safe to call 911, given the RN contained explicit instruction to not contact authorities.

I would be torn on that decision but .. I believe JR realized after reading the RN he assumed JBR would be killed regardless since the kidnapper(s) would not risk JBR being a witness .. or he thought the kidnapper's desire for money might outweigh one deviation from instruction.

When it comes down to it .. unless we experience a kidnapping situation ourselves or have had repetitive explicit training on what to do in a kidnap situation we do not know how we might react.

I believe JR instructed PR to make the 911 call:

1) to allow PR the distraction of placing the call, i.e.: she's doing something to help get back her daughter.

2) to separate PR from JR so that he could concentrate on the RN and on how to retrieve their daughter.

Acting? Possibly .. but not proved.

Cropped by me. My bold:

I only listened to the 911 call for the first time the other day and that comment "I'm the mother" really struck me as odd. I thought it was just me, i see now that it isn't.

I find it to be only mildly odd.

PR probably was a person whom probably had been repeatedly asked who she was in relation to JBR while attending various parties, events and pageants.

Note that PR might not have been the only person in the JBR events entourage so when an attendee walked up to them and asked, "What a precious little girl. She's so pretty and talented." PR's reaction reasonbly could be offered as, "I'm the mother", a cordial retort given within the context of the surrounding group.

Another angle: from a mother who always thought from a perspective of being in a family, "I'm the mother", "John Ramsey's the father" .. I do not find it that unusual as they had more than one child. PR considered herself as "the mother", not simply as "JonBenet's mother".

Hi, jmo,

bbm

a very normal reaction and quite a different one from Patsy and John's.
the excuse that everyone behaves differently just doesn't fly here beccause their behavior was SO off the wall,it was like a flashing neon sign saying 'something isn't right with this picture!!! '

What makes one a "very normal reaction" and the other not so?

If "SO off the wall" is considered extreme to where it explains the situation as being bogus, then what to degree of "off the wall" is the limit?

Of course, something was not 'right' ... their child was missing and a RN was found in their home.

I expect you did not find one in yours when your son was missing?

I'm just sayin' ...

Hi, nova,

bbm

(Emphasis added.)

I'm williing to overlook a lot of odd behavior from people in an extraordinary situation, and I think we should be very careful not to assume we know how "we would react."

But what gets me about the Rs are the glaring contradictions in their behaviors; it's as if they have no characters of their own.

To wit, they tell us that despite the threats in the RN, they never even stopped to consider, much less discuss, whether or not to contact police.

Okay, I'll buy that. They respected authority and immediately turned to that authority in a crisis. (I think I might do the same, FWIW.)

YET AT OTHER TIMES, they simply ignore LE, countermand LE's instructions and finally refuse to cooperate with LE at all. These actions don't make them guilty, but they do indicate to me very different characters from the ones who called the police at the risk of losing their daughter.

So the point isn't that the Rs do or don't act as I would act, they don't even act as THEY would act. Except when they do.

The Rs realized LE was focusing mainly on them and attempting to build a case around that 'assumption'.

Perhaps the R(s) are guilty, perhaps not but I wouldn't blame the R's attitude toward their perception of being assumed guilty by LE and them wanting to step back from blindly cooperating with an authority force implicitly accusing them of murder.

The first words out of a parent's mouth when calling 911 after finding a REAL ransom note for a real kidnapping would be "My daughter's been kidnapped!!!"

NOT "we have a kidnapping". This does sound like an attempt to "set it up" to be seen as a kidnapping.

The first words out of a parent's mouth when calling 911 after finding a REAL ransom note for a real kidnapping would be "My daughter's been kidnapped!!!"

NOT "we have a kidnapping". This does sound like an attempt to "set it up" to be seen as a kidnapping.

One aspect of the 911 some people might be ignoring is how the call begins:

PR, in a quite-hurried, paniced-mumble:
  • "Hurry we need an"
PR abruptly stopped speaking in mid-phrase, then:
  • "Oh wait."
  • "755 fifteenth street."
It's as if PR suddenly remembered what one is supposed to say when you call 911 .. identify your address.

911 operator:
  • "What's going on there, ma'am?"
PR, clear, quick:
  • "We have a kidnapping."
The middle section of the call proceeds .. I hear nothing unusual there, either.

I then selected down to and processed after the 'end' of the call.

PR, in a sad, motherly voice, speaking to her child:
  • "Baby, what did you find" (down-pitch inflection)
.. the tone and inflection PR uses with that phrase sounds like a mother feeling sorry for her child as if she knew what he'd "found" (BR saw the RN on the floor) and that it would upset him .. it seemed almost rhetorical.
  • "Baby, what did you d[uh]" (down-pitch inflection)
.. the last word is a truncated "duh" sound that sounds to be a lead-in to the word "do". Again, tone and inflection, rhetorical. PR knew BR had read at least some, if not all of the RN.

BR:
  • "Who could that be"
The word "arrest" is not recorded on that tape.

I believe the call is legit.

Hi, sunnie,

If the call is legit, why did they lie about Burke being awake?

I suspect the Rs were protecting BR .. probably thinking LE would not need to question him if he were not awake ..

.. or ..

.. BR was indeed, asleep and the voice actually is PR's?

Hi, sunnie,

I suspect the Rs were protecting BR .. probably thinking LE would not need to question him if he were not awake ..

.. or ..

.. BR was indeed, asleep and the voice actually is PR's?

Protecting Burke from being questioned? Why would they need to do that if they were innocent?? That makes no sense. Your daughter has been brutally murdered. Don't you want to do EVERYTHING possible to help find her killer? Also the fact that his statements conflict with his parents statements gives me the motivation for their refusal to place him as part of the reporting of the crime. Very telling and unfortunately their legal team prevented any actual information that Burke knew, from LE. Not the way innocent people would approach their daughters 'kidnapping/murder'.

I have to disagree with you chuck, but PR, is praying for yet, another divine intervention, "Please, help me Jesus, help me jesus"! The last three "Their" not as clear, "arrest" no denying its harder to make out but played slowly with higher volume the word becomes clearer, make no mistake here she ends with "ME"....

I use a program that otg, recommended, to isolate and record the sounds of interest. I then used basic headphones that go into the ear, then I play back my findings on windows media.

As I've said before, you might need to pump up the volume!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grammy 4
Back