GUILTY AK - Cynthia Hoffman, 19, found deceased, Anchorage, 2 Jun 2019 *mentality of a 12 year old* *arrest*

i think they are not smart, they are bored, they may see no future, and also, they are very visual. This whole gen Z, I mean, They get introduced to *advertiser censored* online so early, when the prefrontal cortex is still developing. Then they can not see the difference between the reality and the virtual reality.

in old times, we were concerned that there was so much violence in movies that it could affect kids. And Hollywood responded accordingly. But that was the usual process, viewing violence on the screen and transforming it into reality, acting out what one saw.

This case represents another step, it seems to be the opposite; Schilmiller ordered the real kill, in order to enjoy it in virtual reality form.

I am not commenting on the rest, we all feel horrible about it. But what a dangerous trend. People can’t feel the killing or the rape unless it is digitized. It all becomes part of some computer game.

Literally everything you have said has been debunked. I dont think complaining about younger generations does or means anything.

Debunking The Video Games Cause Gun Violence Myth | WAMU
Andrew Przybylski is a professor of psychology at the University of Oxford and is the Director of Research for the Oxford Internet Institute. He and Dr. Netta Weinstein looked into whether violent video games were associated with aggressive behavior in adolescents.

“We found a whole lot of nothing,” Przybylski said. “Basically, we found that having information about the kinds of video games people played, how violent they were, how much time they spent on them, there was no linear connection.”

Evidence Mounts: More *advertiser censored*, Less Sexual Assault
Before the late-1990s when the internet revolutionized access to information, *advertiser censored* was available in books, skin magazines, rented video cassettes, and at the limited number of seedy theaters that screened X-rated movies. But with the arrival of the internet, millions of *advertiser censored* images and videos were suddenly just a few clicks away for free. As a result, *advertiser censored* quickly became one of men’s top online destinations and *advertiser censored* consumption soared.

If the anti-*advertiser censored* activists are correct, if *advertiser censored* actually contributes to rape, then starting around 1999 as the internet made it much more easily available, the rate of sexual assault should have increased. So what happened? According to the Justice Department’s authoritative National Crime Victimization Survey, since 1995, the U.S. sexual assault rate has fallen 44 percent.

Yes, I was thinking FAS for a couple of them.

Agreed that THC can be very bad news. I use CBD and swear by it for arthritis, but I hope I never need medical cannabis, or at least not a high-THC variant. Unfortunately THC is the active substance in combating glaucoma, which I have. Sigh.

this has all been debunked and the facts are online. THC is not a destructive thing. Sorry, just wanted to make sure the truth was there.

Yes, I was thinking FAS for a couple of them.

Agreed that THC can be very bad news. I use CBD and swear by it for arthritis, but I hope I never need medical cannabis, or at least not a high-THC variant. Unfortunately THC is the active substance in combating glaucoma, which I have. Sigh.

this has all been debunked and the facts are online. THC is not a destructive thing. Sorry, just wanted to make sure the truth was there.

<modsnip: Random podcasts are not allowed>

It takes a monstrous kind of evil, to take advantage of someone like this. Heartless doesn't even cover it. They make Bonnie and Clyde look pale in comparison. The level of deceit for someone so young is hard to understand.

The more likely story is she starting to understand the danger when they started with her feet, maybe started to struggle and then they panicked and shot her. By "they", I mean Denali, I think she for sure shot her. Kaden was love-struck reminds me of Jens Soring and Elizabeth Haysom, thinking it will be easier for him to take the fall.

Like 1 in 14,000,605 situations, it would be okay :)

If she made him do it, I think it was more likely more manipulation, not that she wasn't incapable of doing it. She gets to dominate Caden and claim innocence if caught. Taking a photo right after you witnessed someone murdered? Disturbed. I would be curious to know if any family pets came up missing in her youth.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I just heard about this case for the first time tonight while looking for something else. I want to say it's unbelievable but since I've been here at WS since 2009, not too many things are incredible anymore, or shocking to my sensibilities.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone here has any further update on the court proceedings. Thanks in advance for any info you can find.

I found a site regarding federal cases, a lot can be seen re filings, etc. So just scroll down to see May 2022. This is from the Free Law Project, a a 501(c)(3) non-profit.
The case is

United States v. Schilmiller (3:19-cr-00058)​

District Court, D. Alaska​

"May 6, 2022

SLG TEXT ORDER: Defendant Brehmer's unopposed Motion to Continue Status Hearing at Docket 118 is GRANTED. The telephonic status conference scheduled for May 26, 2022, is VACATED and will be rescheduled in due course for a date after July 5, 2022. (JLH, COURT STAFF) (Entered: 05/06/2022)"

I found a site regarding federal cases, a lot can be seen re filings, etc. So just scroll down to see May 2022. This is from the Free Law Project, a a 501(c)(3) non-profit.
The case is

United States v. Schilmiller (3:19-cr-00058)​

District Court, D. Alaska​

"May 6, 2022

SLG TEXT ORDER: Defendant Brehmer's unopposed Motion to Continue Status Hearing at Docket 118 is GRANTED. The telephonic status conference scheduled for May 26, 2022, is VACATED and will be rescheduled in due course for a date after July 5, 2022. (JLH, COURT STAFF) (Entered: 05/06/2022)"
Sorry I forgot the link,which has now been Ok'd

22-year-old Denali Brehmer pleaded guilty to murder in the first degree.

Sentencing is scheduled to begin Aug. 22, in front of Judge Peterson in Anchorage, and is anticipated to last three days.

Thanks for posting that update. 30 year minimum? I vote for 60. Takes a close friend, a girl who she knew had challenges, takes her out on a nature trail just to kill her. Along with other buddies to share the thrill of murder.

Schilmiller offered $9 million for the “rape and murder of someone in Alaska” — and told the teens to send him photos and videos of the horrific crime taking place.

Brehmer and her two alleged accomplices carried out the planned attack on June 2, 2019, luring Hoffman to Thunderbird Falls in Chugiak, an unincorporated community in Anchorage, under the guise of a friendly hike.

Hoffman had thought of Brehmer as her “best friend” according to court documents.

The teens bound Hoffman, duct-taping her hands, feet and mouth — before shooting her in the back of the head with a 9mm handgun.

She is scheduled to be sentenced in August and faces 30 to 99 years in prison.
So I wonder if the deal was to avoid life in Prison without parole, as AK has no death penalty. IIRC she was the only one of the Alaskan killer teens that was 18, except for the "catfisher", Schilmiller.

Court documents showed that Brehmer, then 18, struck up an online relationship with 21-year-old Darin Schilmiller, who was living in Indiana. Schilmiller claimed to be a millionaire and said he would send Brehmer $9 million in exchange for photos and videos of a killing. He did not name a target.

Brehmer allegedly offered four other friends a cut of the money if they helped her, CBS News previously reported, and Brehmer and then-16-year-old Kayden McIntosh allegedly lured Hoffman on a hike. During the hike, Hoffman was shot in the back of the head and put into a river. Police found Hoffman’s body one day after she was reported missing. McIntosh’s trial in the case is pending.

Brehmer, now 23, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in February 2023 after charges of conspiracy to commit murder, solicitation of murder, tampering with evidence, and murder in the second degree were dismissed. Nearly a year later, her sentencing occurred over three days in January and February 2024. The 99-year sentence was the maximum penalty the court was permitted to impose, according to a news release from Alaska’s Department of Law.

During the hearing, Judge Peterson described the murder of Ms. Hoffman as “tragic and senseless,” the Department of Law said.

Patrick McKay, the Anchorage assistant district attorney, said in court on Mondaythat Ms. Brehmer “engaged in one of the most serious crimes that we have in Alaska.”

Ms. Brehmer had requested a sentence of 80 years with 20 years suspended, and prosecutors had requested a sentence of 99 years, the Department of Law said.

According to court documents, Ms. Brehmer met a man online who convinced her that his name was Tyler and that he was a millionaire from Kansas. The man offered Ms. Brehmer at least $9 million to kill someone in Alaska and take pictures and video of the murder, according to the indictment.

But in reality, “Tyler” was Darin Schilmiller, 25, of New Salisbury, Ind., and he was not a millionaire, according to the indictment. Mr. Schilmiller was “catfishing” Ms. Brehmer, the indictment said, referring to the act of deceiving someone online by making up a fake identity.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back