AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 1 Feb 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry If this has been asked or said .In order to leave Anchorage Don't you have to leave in a plane . I was also thinking that because its not that big of a place is the reason they have not let the public see the tape maybe they think too many people will know who did this and maybe they don't have the evidence they need to arrest him yet so releasing the tape and everying knowing asking him is that you .It might make him flee the area .Lastly this is thinking the other way about the tape Does anyone remember the young girl that was kidnapped on camera by the mechanic It was released right away wasn't it I think his name is J duncan .

I am from the South so cold temperatures and God forbid snow probably have a quicker effect on me than someone up North or from Alaska - meaning I am going inside a building or vehicle with some heat at the speed of light. Even someone with a higher tolerance than me would still have to be heading for shelter of some sort as the temps in Anchorage had to be below freezing to have that much snow to begin with and then stay there to keep the snow.

So how far is someone dressed in a hooded sweatshirt going before getting in a vehicle or entering a building of some sort? For me that distance is from as close as I can park to the front door of Walmart.

So I google walked all around that block and a bit beyond. There are lots of commercial businesses with roll up doors around the corner, you can enter a neighborhood by going behind that red business (a chiropractor's office on my map), you could enter a neighborhood through a gate or missing part of a fence, or there had to be a vehicle waiting nearby. I don't think you could go much further than that in the freezing cold with someone in a choke hold.

Back to the oblivious pickup driver...did they stay or leave? Pick up someone? Stay to watch the boyfriend's reaction? I need more about this oblivious driver.

I hate to bring up the possibility of sexual assault but I am guessing that does not occur much in Alaska outside in the snow in freezing temperatures.

CanManEh - You can drive out of Anchorage. You can head North, South or East. Now if you want to leave the state then you have to go through Canada, so it's pretty unlikely that someone attempted that.

MagnoliaMom - A lot of those assumptions aren't entirely accurate. People can go pretty far dressed in just a hooded sweatshirt in this town. Yes it is cold but they are used to it. (Of course it would still be pretty hard to walk far with someone in a choke hold.) And sexual assaults do occur even in the cold. There are tons of transients that hang out in the woods around Anchorage. When this first happened I thought it might have been one of them that did it, but this seems way too professional to have been done by a random pervert.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/...ather-in-vigil-for-missing.html?storylink=mrc
Hundreds gather in vigil for missing woman
BY CASEY GROVE; ANCHORAGE DAILY NEWS
Published: 02/11/12 11:36 pm | Updated: 02/12/12 5:48 pm

Snipped:
The night of the abduction, Koenig was working her normal shift at a Common Grounds Espresso hut in a parking lot at 630 E. Tudor Road when the man walked up. It was just before 8 p.m., closing time. He wore a dark, hooded sweatshirt, police said. The man somehow got inside the coffee hut and forced Koenig to leave with him on foot, headed west, police said.

Koenig's frightened expression, as seen in the video, left "little doubt" that her disappearance was anything but an abduction, a detective said. The man was "significantly" taller than the 5-foot-5 Koenig, the detective said.

Koenig's boyfriend arrived to pick up Koenig sometime later, but she was gone, he said. The next morning, a barista opening the stand found the door locked as usual, but the security alarm was not set and the cash for making change was nowhere to be found.

When the owners of Common Grounds watched the surveillance footage, they reported Koenig missing the next day. The owners said the man did something to obscure the multiple cameras' views, and police say the video does not show his face.

Found in google images but from her myspace profile, this is a longer shot of one of the pictures out of Samantha.

p.jpg

I find it hard to believe that the security cameras were able to catch the frightened expression on Samantha's face, but not any distinguishing characteristics of the perp. I believe that LE is keeping it under wraps for one of three reasons:

They know who it is, but want Sam, alive or not, so they are watching him in hope of him bringing him to her.

There was an assault of some sort that happened on the footage, and are unable to release the tape for this reason.

To discourage vigilante justice.

All IMO...

One point I need clarification on is the footage viewing. Why did the owners view the footage from the previous night in the first place? Has this been explained? Typically, store owners will only view security footage if there is a suspected problem, but we are being told that the store, as it was left by Sam, raised no concerns. Did they attempt to call Sam with any questions they may have had prior to taking the somewhat big step of watching the tape??

I find it hard to believe that the security cameras were able to catch the frightened expression on Samantha's face, but not any distinguishing characteristics of the perp. I believe that LE is keeping it under wraps for one of three reasons:

They know who it is, but want Sam, alive or not, so they are watching him in hope of him bringing him to her.

There was an assault of some sort that happened on the footage, and are unable to release the tape for this reason.

To discourage vigilante justice.

All IMO...

One point I need clarification on is the footage viewing. Why did the owners view the footage from the previous night in the first place? Has this been explained? Typically, store owners will only view security footage if there is a suspected problem, but we are being told that the store, as it was left by Sam, raised no concerns. Did they attempt to call Sam with any questions they may have had prior to taking the somewhat big step of watching the tape??

The stand's windows and doors had been locked as normal, Duncan said, but the alarm wasn't set.
But until the footage from the surveillance cameras emerged colleagues were unconcerned.
'We didn't even have a red flag,' Duncan told the local newspaper.

'We didn't know anything was wrong until we found out she hadn't been heard from.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...offee-shop-armed-kidnapper.html#ixzz1mHFCg9Jg

It seems that once the owners were notified by someone (?) that Samantha hadn't been heard from, they looked at the surveillance tapes....

The owners might of looked at the footage to determine where their cash had gone after noticing it missing also. After repeatedly calling Sam but receiving no answer they might have looked at the video to try and determine what happened.

JMO

It seems that once the owners were notified by someone (?) that Samantha hadn't been heard from, they looked at the surveillance tapes....

The security camera systems in those shacks probably has more to do with employee monitoring and management than it does protection for the girls. The owner probably has to pay a fee to the security company each time they go online to review a shift recording. The price of doing business, a means of keeping the staff honest, or at least accountable. Let's face it. Hiring requirements are based on looks, and continued employment hinges on their ability to show up somewhat consistently. These aren't MENSA candidates, this is more like Hot Beverage Hooter's. So. The owners going to the tape may have had nothing to do with suspicion of their girl encountering trouble, rather, simply figuring out where their money was.

A designer coffee joint gets what, an average of 4 bucks a pop for a sale? To pull in $500.00 a shift, they'd have to sell 125 drinks. So not a huge number, and they do have a security system with alarm, so it sounds. Maybe they are leaving the cash on premise. Safe to say they do a primarily cash only business? People hand over a CC or debit card much at drive up windows? So if the shacks are doing primarily cash, the owners may be doing a pickup themselves from each location each morning. When they're cash receipts weren't there, no response to phone attempts to get answers from the last shift worker, off to the video tape for answers. Then the "ruh-ro" moment.

In order for vigilante justice to take place I think the perp would have to be known by the vigilante's that seen the tape. If releasing the tape to the public would expose who the perp is than LE would already know who the perp is and the case would be solved. So for that reason I don't think the reason for not releasing the tape is to discourage vigilante justice against the perp.

I'm wondering if the reason for not releasing the video might have to do with race. Another form of vigilante justice would maybe have to do with a certain race if it could be determined what race the perp was from viewing the video. Does this play back to what NG was saying about skin color and maybe the race would be known from the tape? If the public knew the perp was a certain nationality would the public retaliate against people of that race since a reason LE gave for not releasing the tape is to discourage vigilante justice?

Knowing the perp is a certain races would also possibly taint a jury pool if the majority of the citizens are prejudice against a certain race in the area. Is there a certain majority or minority of race in the Anchorage area?

JMO and trying to think outside of the box.

In order for vigilante justice to take place I think the perp would have to be known by the vigilante's that seen the tape. If releasing the tape to the public would expose who the perp is than LE would already know who the perp is and the case would be solved. So for that reason I don't think the reason for not releasing the tape is to discourage vigilante justice against the perp.

I'm wondering if the reason for not releasing the video might have to do with race. Another form of vigilante justice would maybe have to do with a certain race if it could be determined what race the perp was from viewing the video. Does this play back to what NG was saying about skin color and maybe the race would be known from the tape? If the public knew the perp was a certain nationality would the public retaliate against people of that race since a reason LE gave for not releasing the tape is to discourage vigilante justice?

Knowing the perp is a certain races would also possibly taint a jury pool if the majority of the citizens are prejudice against a certain race in the area. Is there a certain majority or minority of race in the Anchorage area?

JMO and trying to think outside of the box.

It's possible. There is a sizeable Samoan population here in Anchorage and everyone seems to blame them for the city's rampant gang problem. I suppose it's possible that if the tape shows a person who might fit that mold, then it could lead to some retaliatory acts of racism.

Still, I'd be kind of surprised if that were the reason. Neither the police nor the media have withheld the race of perpetrators in the past. In fact just yesterday there was a story in the Anchorage Daily News about how two Samoan men and an Alaska Native man robbed somebody in a hotel room.

But keeping with the gang thing, one (possibly far out) theory I've had is that maybe the victim was helping the police in a criminal prosecution. If that were the case they might want to keep this whole thing close to the vest so the whole world doesn't know that people who cooperate with the police might get abducted.

The only thing I can figure (about not releasing the video) is that they are running this almost like a sting operation. They want the POI to think that they have no clue who it is with the hopes of following them around, finding where they hang out, who their friends are, etc. and possibly leading them to SK. This especially makes sense if they think she was handed off to a second party.
BUT----- I honestly don't see how this works with an abduction. If this was a sack o' drugs or weapons, sure- follow the guy around. But time is of the essence here.
Here's to hoping this sick individual(s) is keeping SK alive somewhere. My thoughts are with her and her family.

i don't know if this has been mentioned before, but every place that i have ever worked that had an alarm system, if the alarm was not set by a certain time, the alarm company would call the store and call the manager/owner. i'm wondering if this happened in this case. it has been reported that the alarm was never set. did the company call the owners to let them know?

Samantha's name is already slipping from the front page of most news sites. Sadly, these cases have a very short shelf life in the media world.
icon9.gif

I wonder why the business owner called in the missing person report, and not the boyfriend. Didn't he wonder where she was all night?

I wonder why the business owner called in the missing person report, and not the boyfriend. Didn't he wonder where she was all night?

That is a question...without a definite answer as far as I know. Since he had just spoken to her, I can't imagine why he would not have been alarmed when she wasn't there, or at least later on when she did show up or call.

I have been thinking the same thing for the past week. If I had just spoken to my girlfriend before I was supposed to pick up her up at work and she was not there when I arrived I would be concerned where she had gone knowing she had no other form of transportation to leave work. I would have then likely called her father to see if he knew where she was and to see if she received a ride from him and that she was at home. After learning her father never gave her a ride I would become even more concerned. After calling her cell phone and not receiving an answer I would become really concerned about where she was. You would think at this point the B/F or the father would have called LE.

The B/F must of contacted Sam's father since we know her father called her phone until it went dead the next day around noon. The father also said it wasn't like Sam to not come home with out notifying him first. SO when she didn't come home why didn't someone call LE in the morning? Why did her father keep calling until the phone went dead? LE could have triangulated on the cell phone if it was still on. After it went dead they could only tell which tower the phone connected to when the phone received calls and went to voice mail. You sure would think LE would know that information by now and they would be searching an area where the phone was last known to be.

JMO

That is a question...without a definite answer as far as I know. Since he had just spoken to her, I can't imagine why he would not have been alarmed when she wasn't there, or at least later on when she did show up or call.

I know this is kind of out there. We do know that she had her cell phone with her.

Could she had told the perp that her boyfriend was almost there and the perp told her to text him that her plans had changed?

I suggest this cause it doesn't make sense to me that he would have just left without contacting her or her father.

It is a very isolated business and was very dark at night. I would have been worried!

MOO

This is where all the questions about the bf come from. No confirmation whatsoever of what happened when he arrived (in his own words, minutes after she was abducted), and Samantha was gone. Did he contact her dad? Don't know. If not, don't even know if her dad contacted her bf when she never came home that night. Did her bf get out of the car? Look around? Try the door? Drive around looking? Call her cell? What did he do? It's not so much that I'm sure what he did or didn't do really matters here, but I'd like a clearer picture of what all was going on between the time he arrived and found her gone and when she was reported missing. Also, I will say that if I were as concerned as her dad apparently was, or as her bf should have been, I would have figured a way to get in touch with the owners of that stand THAT night, or at least I would have been at the doorstep in the morning, since it was where she was last seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dtacland23