AK AK - Steve Keel, 61, missing from hunting trip, from TN - Aug 27, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like they were camped only a couple of miles from their van possibly? I'm curious in what direction the caribou were cached. Adding a fourth of a mile to this scenario doesn't seem too strenuous.

But maybe I'm way off in my calculations?

ETA: I realize both Steve & his hunting companion had likely traveled much further on foot from camp when actively hunting.
If I am right - if! - I'm suddenly now thinking criminal activity could be involved in his disappearance rather than misadventure like getting lost or sinking in muskeg.

Hmmmm....

Change that. I copied the wrong thing.
69°19'05.0"N 148°50'01.4"W
Thank you.

So, how does transportation work there? It looks like the Dalton Highway is about 2 miles east of where he went missing. So, do you get dropped off somewhere on the Dalton Highway by an outfitter, and pack all your stuff in? How would you hope to get a caribou out of there, if you're successful in the hunt?

Thank you.

So, how does transportation work there? It looks like the Dalton Highway is about 2 miles east of where he went missing. So, do you get dropped off somewhere on the Dalton Highway by an outfitter, and pack all your stuff in? How would you hope to get a caribou out of there, if you're successful in the hunt?

IDK

Here's a better map to play with. If it doesn't link correctly, his campsite was at mile marker appx 336.5

The North Slope Borough Search & Rescue has posted an image on their FB page showing where they've done their aerial search. It covers a pretty significant area.

Link to their FB page: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100066528326171&lst=100000980260596:100066528326171:1662491809

Search area and pattern
Only a ground search is going to yield any clues if he's still out there IMO. He was headed a short distance from camp, is well-versed in outdoor skills so unlikely to keep wandering if he got lost, and might have made it on foot to the highway. But then what?

I'm a little surprised air assets seem to have been a big expenditure & focus, given visibility issues.

I haven't seen anything about vetting any other hunters who were in the vicinity. I hope that are contacting all outfitters & running background on anyone he could have encountered out there.

What about illegal poacher activity? Is that ever an issue along the Dalton?

I'm sure my ideas aren't unusual & have been explored. I'd just like to see a news conference or details released as to why air assets seem to continue to be the focus two weeks in.

The North Slope Borough Search & Rescue has posted an image on their FB page showing where they've done their aerial search. It covers a pretty significant area.

Link to their FB page: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100066528326171&lst=100000980260596:100066528326171:1662491809

Search area and pattern
Thanks! Very helpful...

This is why SAR doesn't generally want outside volunteers to show up at the "lost" site. The search area is gridded out. On top of that, there's a pattern of petals from a central point, to fill in gaps. The decisions about where to go are informed by science and local experience.

While I remember....another point on the terrain. Even SAR have been known to miss a find right at their feet. They often have to move at arm's reach from one another to get good coverage. They move on a grid. So, yeah, terrain can be very deceiving as far as whether someone could easily be found.

SAR airborne are not going to want random folks walking around in the area being searched. They will have marked SAR volunteers on the ground, and they will know where they are. Anyone else could possibly be mistaken for the lost hunter, with very complicated, expensive, and time-consuming consequences.

Such an mysterious disappearance. I know nothing about hunting or Alaska, yet this seems so extraordinary. Will be following closely.
Interesting.... I know nothing about hunting in AK—actually, I've never been to AK at all—but the odds of misadventure are very high there.

I am anticipating—hate to say it—that the remains won't be found, at least this year.

Such an mysterious disappearance. I know nothing about hunting or Alaska, yet this seems so extraordinary. Will be following closely.
Screenshot_20220905-212609_(1).png
These are the people known/reported to be missing on the North Slope. Not one other than SK is a hunter from the Lower 48 from my brief research.

So yes, it is mysterious.

Graphic is a screenshot from Alaska's Missing Person website:

You can measure on the map I posted above and there is a lake about 2700 feet from the mile marker
So inquiring minds want to know: Have they searched it? They really need to release the rule-outs & strategy going forward. I hope a news conference with media (likely via Zoom or somesuch) will be done soon.

MOO

View attachment 364644
These are the people known/reported to be missing on the North Slope. Not one other than SK is a hunter from the Lower 48 from my brief research.

But that couldn't have been all who've gone missing.....? Those must just be the ones not accounted for, and those would be the KNOWN missing.

Last edited:
View attachment 364644

Thank you for the information. Quite an uptick in missing persons in the last 4 years. This case is fascinating and informative. I do wish this man well, however it seems only realistic to expect a body or someone who is never recovered.

Here's a cool photo with the Dalton Highway and the pipeline in the same shot. Never knew the pipeline looked like this

I'm thankful this case is getting attention here and I really have nothing new to offer. This morning a few interviews were done and as soon as I see them on MSM, I'll post them. I just wanted to thank y'all for your ideas and discussion. May today be the day he is found!

"His wife, Liz, said “a team of ex military with special ops and search and rescue experience that are from our community are preparing to fly to Alaska as we speak so the search goes on. I am amazed but so encouraged that there’s more people that will be right there looking in everyplace possible to find Steve.”....more at link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMae0823