AK AK - Steve Keel, 61, missing from hunting trip, from TN - Aug 27, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any news on SK this morning?
The Tennessee SAR group will be on the Dalton Highway sometime today. That's a 10+ hour drive so they are unlikely to start searching until tomorrow.

SK's wife posted that they will have donated food, water, a refrigerated truck & place to dry out clothing provided for up to a week. So hopefully they will all fare well & bring this to a successful conclusion.

#searchforsteve

This has been bugging me the last couple of days - has his hunting partner Bryan gone back to search for Steve?
It's funny we have heard from Steve's wife and sons but not from Bryan. I am not saying he hurt Steve (he must have been scared and worried when he decided to trek back to the car to sleep there instead of at the campsite when Steve did not return). Steve's wife said they were in almost constant contact yet he waited 24 hours to report him missing. I wonder if he didn't report it immediately as they were doing something less than legal? Could be as simple as not having the correct licences. Maybe there's a lot more info we don't know. IMO MOO
"Steve was on a hunting trip with his friend, Brian Collins, in a remote part of Northern Alaska. Collins is from Erin, Tennessee. Liz said Collins told her Steve left their campsite Saturday morning around 10 a.m., their time to get food about a half-mile away, but never returned.
Collins waited more than 24 hours to report Steve missing. “He wasn’t really alarmed much at first because he thought Steve had got turned around, so then he went looking for him,” Collins’s wife, Molly, said. “You got to remember; they are way, way out. They are like 60 miles from the nearest town.”
Liz and Molly said local authorities have refused to do a ground search. So now, Steve’s two sons are in Alaska looking. “We want awareness up there because it is ridiculous that three people are searching on the ground,” Molly said. “This is the first foot search that has ever been conducted, and that is my husband, Brian, and Steve’s two sons.”

Steve’s return flight was scheduled for Saturday. Liz said she hoped he would come home soon. “I am not ready to accept that he is gone,” Liz said. “I just have to pray and hope and pray for a miracle. I won’t stop until somebody tells me different.”

My understanding is that BC did not fly home as scheduled around 8/27. He stayed to help with the search effort. I don't know if he is still there.

This has been bugging me the last couple of days - has his hunting partner Bryan gone back to search for Steve?
It's funny we have heard from Steve's wife and sons but not from Bryan. I am not saying he hurt Steve (he must have been scared and worried when he decided to trek back to the car to sleep there instead of at the campsite when Steve did not return). Steve's wife said they were in almost constant contact yet he waited 24 hours to report him missing. I wonder if he didn't report it immediately as they were doing something less than legal? Could be as simple as not having the correct licences. Maybe there's a lot more info we don't know. IMO MOO
This reporter's post from 9/1 gives more details about BC.
"UPDATE TWO: I’ve just spoken with the family of Brian Collins.
He is the man who was camping with Steve Keel.
The two are good friends and have gone on hunting trips together many times in the past.
The family tells me Collins is devastated over his missing friend.
At this hour he is with Keel’s two sons at the campsite in remote northern Alaska and they are organizing a ground search.
They hope to make contact with someone with dogs to help in the effort.
And both helicopters and planes are expected to be up Friday.
Collins told his family after Keel disappeared Saturday he thought he might have become lost.
Collins told his family he fired his gun into the air hoping Keel would respond from a distance and find his way back, but he did not.
So Collins decided to hike back to the van on the road hoping to find Keel there.
He wasn’t and by then it was late so Collins stayed at the van and hoped he’d return to the campsite in the morning and find Keel back in his tent.
Of course, he was not.
That is when Collins used a satellite emergency beeper to contact authorities.
Right now he says he is at a loss to explain what happened.
At this point he could be lost … had a medical emergency … fallen in a crevasse or sink bog.
Authorities say, at this point, there is no evidence of foul play.
——-
UPDATE: Investigators tell me when Keel left the campsite he was in his typical hiking outfit and carrying a Glock .45, a compass and his cellphone.
Of course, there is no signal out there.
I understand back at the camp they did have a satellite phone."

Thinking about Lost Person Behavior in this missing person case leads me to ask if that well-studied logic is being used in this search.

1) SK is unlikely to have wandered very far from the 1/4 to 1/2 mile trip to their cache IMO unless he was hallucinating or had some other medical issue affecting his reasoning ability. I doubt that is the case.
2) His lack of response to the shot fired indicates he was unable to respond. How long had he been "missing" when that shot was fired?
3) Is the meat cache still there or has it been removed? That would be a waypoint for him so I hope it's still there.
4) He or evidence of why he is missing is likely to be found a short distance from camp. I'd guesstimate less than a mile.

That's my analysis. I'm sure others can & will analyze differently. Instead of searching far & wide, they need to concentrate multiple efforts looking at fine details very near the camp.

My conclusion: Muskeg or river misadventure, injury or an animal encounter is most likely IMO. And it happened shortly after he left camp.

MOO
I didn’t realize a shot had been fired. But I also don’t think too much weight should be placed on a single shot sound. A human being in a bad moment doesn’t necessarily notice a millisecond sound. Or the shot sound itself might have caused a problem, like spooked a bear in his direction.

I agree with everything you write, @WingsOverTX !

I keep wishing someone had built a very smoky fire in this context, either SK or his hunting buddy. If lost in that terrain, it might be easy to see. A smoky fire also lasts a while, so you don’t need to be attentive in the moment the way you have to be with a gunshot.

This reporter's post from 9/1 gives more details about BC.
"UPDATE TWO: I’ve just spoken with the family of Brian Collins.
He is the man who was camping with Steve Keel.
The two are good friends and have gone on hunting trips together many times in the past.
The family tells me Collins is devastated over his missing friend.
At this hour he is with Keel’s two sons at the campsite in remote northern Alaska and they are organizing a ground search.
They hope to make contact with someone with dogs to help in the effort.
And both helicopters and planes are expected to be up Friday.
Collins told his family after Keel disappeared Saturday he thought he might have become lost.
Collins told his family he fired his gun into the air hoping Keel would respond from a distance and find his way back, but he did not.
So Collins decided to hike back to the van on the road hoping to find Keel there.
He wasn’t and by then it was late so Collins stayed at the van and hoped he’d return to the campsite in the morning and find Keel back in his tent.
Of course, he was not.
That is when Collins used a satellite emergency beeper to contact authorities.
Right now he says he is at a loss to explain what happened.
At this point he could be lost … had a medical emergency … fallen in a crevasse or sink bog.
Authorities say, at this point, there is no evidence of foul play.
——-
UPDATE: Investigators tell me when Keel left the campsite he was in his typical hiking outfit and carrying a Glock .45, a compass and his cellphone.
Of course, there is no signal out there.
I understand back at the camp they did have a satellite phone."
Thank you! I've been reading the wrong articles, plus I don't have FB. Well all that makes a lot more sense now. Appreciate you going through and finding all this info

I would guess there’s ALOT we don’t know. SAR may have explicitly asked the hunting partner not to participate in the search. This could be for many reasons already stated ^^^^^ , but also because he could contaminate the search area. He likely had SK aroma and particles on him; this is very confusing for search dogs.
I just think there’s some weird reason why they had a camp only 2 miles from the vehicle. Sure, you might have to hunt 2 miles in, but why camp 2 miles in when you could hang out in the evenings with all the luxuries you have in your van? Your bedding would be dry, you’d be safe from bears, you could have eaten real food…

I didn’t realize a shot had been fired. But I also don’t think too much weight should be placed on a single shot sound. A human being in a bad moment doesn’t necessarily notice a millisecond sound. Or the shot sound itself might have caused a problem, like spooked a bear in his direction.

I agree with everything you write, @WingsOverTX !

I keep wishing someone had built a very smoky fire in this context, either SK or his hunting buddy. If lost in that terrain, it might be easy to see. A smoky fire also lasts a while, so you don’t need to be attentive in the moment the way you have to be with a gunshot.
I'm beginning to think he got in trouble so fast, he didn't have time to even do that. Apparently ground searches have not been a focus. What if a stray bullet from another camp hit him? That would be statistically unbelievable though!

The waiting must be so hard on his family. Getting to the camp & Deadhorse is quite an exhausting trip in itself and then the real work begins!

I would guess there’s ALOT we don’t know. SAR may have explicitly asked the hunting partner not to participate in the search. This could be for many reasons already stated ^^^^^ , but also because he could contaminate the search area. He likely had SK aroma and particles on him; this is very confusing for search dogs.
I just think there’s some weird reason why they had a camp only 2 miles from the vehicle. Sure, you might have to hunt 2 miles in, but why camp 2 miles in when you could hang out in the evenings with all the luxuries you have in your van? Your bedding would be dry, you’d be safe from bears, you could have eaten real food…
I had the wrong info - Bryan is participating in the search. @WingsoverTXkindly dug up the info for me.
Good point about the camp but maybe there was an issue with boggy ground or something?

The Tennessee SAR group will be on the Dalton Highway sometime today. That's a 10+ hour drive so they are unlikely to start searching until tomorrow.

SK's wife posted that they will have donated food, water, a refrigerated truck & place to dry out clothing provided for up to a week. So hopefully they will all fare well & bring this to a successful conclusion.

#searchforsteve
What’s the refrigerated truck for? The remains? This sounds very strange.

I'm beginning to think he got in trouble so fast, he didn't have time to even do that. Apparently ground searches have not been a focus. What if a stray bullet from another camp hit him? That would be statistically unbelievable though!

The waiting must be so hard on his family. Getting to the camp & Deadhorse is quite an exhausting trip in itself and then the real work begins!
Yes, he was in trouble too fast. Relying on a shot for communication is just soooo unreliable. A rush of adrenaline might even make it inaudible to someone in a crisis.

If the meat needs to stay located far away from camp, wouldn't the person leaving the anchored camp take the satellite phone/beacon?
SK doesn't seem to have had anything, from the sounds of it, least of all the PLB: what he was wearing, his gun, compass (? or maybe his phone--with dead batteries?), and his cell phone? No pack????? And reeking of freshly slaughtered caribou?

BBM - That could be. Yesterday I read that if rifles are used, you cannot hunt within 5 miles of the Dalton Hwy.

No link because I read so much yesterday on a zillion different sites, but I definitely did read that.

BBM - That could be. Yesterday I read that if rifles are used, you cannot hunt within 5 miles of the Dalton Hwy.

No link because I read so much yesterday on a zillion different sites, but I definitely did read that.
I read something like that, too...

His hunting buddy is still there and hasn't left. The group from Dover, TN is on their way to meet up with him. The trailer warms to 70 degrees so it's going to be used to keep items dry and to give a warm refuge for the searchers. All imo because I'm at work and can't provide links at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member