Found Deceased AL - Aniah Haley Blanchard, 19, Auburn, Lee County, 23 Oct 2019 #4 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this was asked a while back, but I can’t remember where. Can someone who uses Snapchat explain what happens with these text conversations? Are they saved unless deleted like a Facebook chat? Auto-deleted? Time stamped?

I think her family has stated that they have seen screenshots. They definitely have said they have seen the actual messages.

I think her family has stated that they have seen screenshots. They definitely have said they have seen the actual messages.
I just wonder if that would be time stamped? IMO, things like how long it took to respond to her roommate’s “are you almost home?” and how long the conversation lasted, as well as obviously exactly what time it occurred, could be helpful in figuring out what was happening at the time.

I also can’t figure out what happened to the second man. They were not both found in the car, as far as I can tell. Did they just leave him at the hotel? Did he call 911? Why not kill him if that’s their thing? And, then what?

Elmore man charged with attempted murder, kidnapping and robbery in January hotel incident
Nicky Terrell Gaines, 43, along with Jessie Dale Ford and Ibraheem Yazeed, entered a room at the SureStay Hotel on Eastern Boulevard about 10:40 p.m. Jan. 29 armed with a handgun and held two men against their will, according to court records.

Nicky Terrell Gaines was charged with attempted murder, two counts of kidnapping and two counts of robbery (Photo: MCSO)

A fourth person was present at the time of the incident, according to records, though there was no last name listed for the alleged co-defendant.

According to Gaines' charging documents, he beat one victim "until he was unconscious, unresponsive, severely injured and near death." The other victim was also beaten and injured, according to records.

Before fleeing the scene, Gaines and his alleged co-defendants took a Rolex watch, rifle, handguns, wallets, credit and debit cards, clothing and cash from both the men.

Warrants were issued against Gaines on two counts of first-degree kidnapping, two counts of first-degree robbery and one count of attempted murder Feb. 6, according to court records.

When Ford and Yazeed were arrested, SBI Capt. Joe Herman said last month that the bureau got involved when the Macon County Sheriff's Office received a tip of a car driving erratically down the interstate.

"Macon County deputies made contact with the driver and then inside the vehicle was a 77-year-old white male that had been severely beaten," Herman said. "Their investigation determined that the male had been beaten, robbed and abducted from his vehicle in Montgomery."

Macon County investigators contacted the SBI, which Herman said partnered with MPD to apprehend Ford and Yazeed.

Herman said that it appeared to have been a "planned, targeted attack."

Montgomery Advertiser reporter Kirsten Fiscus at 334-318-1798 or KFiscus@gannett.com. Follow her on Twitter @KDFiscus. Andrew Yawn contributed reporting.

I think this was asked a while back, but I can’t remember where. Can someone who uses Snapchat explain what happens with these text conversations? Are they saved unless deleted like a Facebook chat? Auto-deleted? Time stamped?
The thought is and what kids seem to believe is that everything immediately disappears and gets deleted. That’s how kids are getting in trouble with this app and busted for child *advertiser censored*. LE can retrieve anything posted to snap. I think within 30 days.

Summer is not the roommate. Aniah's parents have stated several times that the roommate is reliable and completely destroyed over this. Summer is a different friend. They have also stated that Aniah's social media PMs and texts do not show her communicating with anyone that night. They have gotten into her accounts and there is no activity. I don't see any evidence that she was planning on meeting someone that night. They have also stated that they have reason to believe that she is not the one that sent those messages. I agree that the messages are weird, and they may even be the key to the whole thing.

This, this, this! Thanks for this post.

I also can't imagine what it would be like to be a friend or acquaintance right now. The scrutiny must be unbearable. Her poor brother. Her family has stated that he feels responsible and is completely dejected.
I have wondered about her brother. He’s must be devastated. He discouraged her from going out. Ironically, had she gone out instead, she wouldn’t have been at the Chevron and may not have been victimized, assuming it was a random abduction at the Chevron. So sad.

bbm
Not according to Snap’s Law Enforcement Guide, as I quoted above...
https://storage.googleapis.com/snap-inc/privacy/lawenforcement.pdf

A preservation is a snapshot in time of a user’s data, including basic subscriber information, metadata (usage logs) and content (Chats, Snaps, Stories, and Memories). As referenced earlier, Snap retains different types of user data for different periods of time. It is likely that law enforcement would want Snap to make a preservation as soon as possible after an alleged incident for which it seeks evidence.

VII. Emergency Requests
Sworn law enforcement officials may request user data on an emergency basis 24 hours a day by completing and submitting the Law Enforcement Emergency Response Form: Law Enforcement Online Service
Emergency requests must be submitted by a sworn law enforcement official and must come from an official law enforcement email domain. When filling out the emergency form, please provide the Snapchat username (see Section IV “Identifying a Snapchat Account” above) or associated phone number or email address, describe the nature of the emergency as specifically as possible, and specify the information that you are seeking to resolve the emergency situation.
Under 18 U.S.C. §§ 2702(b)(8) and 2702(c)(4), we are able to voluntarily disclose information when we believe in good faith that an emergency posing a threat of imminent death or serious bodily injury requires immediate disclosure.

The ONLY way they could have seen the actual chat is if the users (Aniah and roommate) had set up that chats delete after 24 hours (quite common for people who text on Snapchat frequently to do this) and then they saw it before the 24 hour window from the time it was sent.
On iPhones, if you hold down on a message and slightly slide your finger to the right, time stamps will appear.

Anything outside of that, the messages are (as intended) gone. Forever.

Elmore man charged with attempted murder, kidnapping and robbery in January hotel incident
Nicky Terrell Gaines, 43, along with Jessie Dale Ford and Ibraheem Yazeed, entered a room at the SureStay Hotel on Eastern Boulevard about 10:40 p.m. Jan. 29 armed with a handgun and held two men against their will, according to court records.

Nicky Terrell Gaines was charged with attempted murder, two counts of kidnapping and two counts of robbery (Photo: MCSO)

A fourth person was present at the time of the incident, according to records, though there was no last name listed for the alleged co-defendant.

According to Gaines' charging documents, he beat one victim "until he was unconscious, unresponsive, severely injured and near death." The other victim was also beaten and injured, according to records.

Before fleeing the scene, Gaines and his alleged co-defendants took a Rolex watch, rifle, handguns, wallets, credit and debit cards, clothing and cash from both the men.

Warrants were issued against Gaines on two counts of first-degree kidnapping, two counts of first-degree robbery and one count of attempted murder Feb. 6, according to court records.

When Ford and Yazeed were arrested, SBI Capt. Joe Herman said last month that the bureau got involved when the Macon County Sheriff's Office received a tip of a car driving erratically down the interstate.

"Macon County deputies made contact with the driver and then inside the vehicle was a 77-year-old white male that had been severely beaten," Herman said. "Their investigation determined that the male had been beaten, robbed and abducted from his vehicle in Montgomery."

Macon County investigators contacted the SBI, which Herman said partnered with MPD to apprehend Ford and Yazeed.

Herman said that it appeared to have been a "planned, targeted attack."

Montgomery Advertiser reporter Kirsten Fiscus at 334-318-1798 or KFiscus@gannett.com. Follow her on Twitter @KDFiscus. Andrew Yawn contributed reporting.
Thanks, I've looked at several articles but I don't think I'd read this one before.

This says that they entered a hotel room and robbed the two men (cash, debit cards, Rolex, guns, clothes), but later also says that they were abducted from a vehicle, so not sure. Also still can't tell if they just left the second man alive and alone in the hotel room.

There's another mention of a very similar hotel robbery here: Who is Ibraheem Yazeed? Aniah Blanchard kidnapping suspect has arrests in several states

"He first appeared to run afoul of the law in April 2011 when he was charged with two counts of first-degree robbery. Yazeed, and three other unnamed co-defendants, robbed two men at gunpoint of about $2,700 in cash, two wallets, a $50 money order and a cellphone at the Good Night Inn on West South Boulevard, according to court records."

Maybe this has already been discussed and I've just been thinking this was all one crime since it's so incredibly similar.

Elijah and his wife, Yoshiba, believe Aniah’s abduction was part of a random carjacking
“Basically, by seeing the photos from the car being damaged, we initially start coming up with different scenarios as far as what could have possibly happened and like I said, it’s random,” Yoshiba said. “We initially stated that we thought it was a carjacking, so that has always been our position.”
Aniah Blanchard’s father believes daughter’s kidnapping was ‘random’

Elijah and his wife, Yoshiba, believe Aniah’s abduction was part of a random carjacking
“Basically, by seeing the photos from the car being damaged, we initially start coming up with different scenarios as far as what could have possibly happened and like I said, it’s random,” Yoshiba said. “We initially stated that we thought it was a carjacking, so that has always been our position.”
Aniah Blanchard’s father believes daughter’s kidnapping was ‘random’

Peculiar the two sets of parents being at odds. I’d guess the most logical meaning would be they are left to speculate like the rest of us, with little to no info

IY's mother has been mentioned a few times, but nothing about his father.
Thinking about the beating the older gentleman received at the hands of IY and wondering about IY's relationship with his father. Does he know who/where he is, does his father live in the US?
imo, speculation.

This says that they entered a hotel room and robbed the two men (cash, debit cards, Rolex, guns, clothes), but later also says that they were abducted from a vehicle, so not sure. Also still can't tell if they just left the second man alive and alone in the hotel room.
And then nearly beat one man to death and then got out on bond??? How does that even happen with such a violent crime?

I remember I posted a pretty lengthy post about how these work a few threads ago. Basically unless you have that specific user set to save chats, they’ll delete themselves after you open them. Otherwise, with this setting on, it will save your chats for 24 hours. To save them forever, you have to manually do that per chat. I suspect that the roommate had this turned on for Aniah (I do for all my friends as well) bc no one would have thought to screenshot those chats at that moment that night...it wasn’t till the next morning they were worried. In which time the roommate could have accessed the messages again & take the screenshot...she probably saved them manually at that point as well. Another thing of note that I didn’t know when I first started saving chats but have since learned from experience ...no one could have deleted any snapchats from the messages between Aniah & her roommate from Aniah’s phone (or the roommate’s for that matter). When messages are saved by either user in a chat, the message you want to delete has to be completely unsaved on both sides before it will allow you to completely delete it.

ETA: Yes they are time stamped to the minute & you can maneuver the screen to take a screenshot to display the time stamps.

bbm
Not according to Snap’s Law Enforcement Guide, as I quoted above...
Oh boy, thanks for that. It appears only the unopened snaps are stored for 30 days, then deleted from their servers. Other delivered/read snaps can be deleted immediately from the server by the user. Some snaps are stored on server for 24 hours, then they auto delete like the unopened. Snap Chat is a LE nightmare in terms of obtaining potential evidence of a crime. Let's all forbid our kids to use it, lol!!!!!

Peculiar the two sets of parents being at odds. I’d guess the most logical meaning would be they are left to speculate like the rest of us, with little to no info
I've noticed the subtle things, because I'm a divorced remarried parent of children. Angela does refer to Walt as Aniah's Daddy frequently, which likely hurts Elijah. Far be it from me to judge the history of this family which I know nothing about. Just making an observation of what I see.

In other cases I've seen parent relationships fracture as time went on, it's an incredible amount of stress to be under. Most notably the Kyron Hormon case.

A preservation is a snapshot in time of a user’s data, including basic subscriber information, metadata (usage logs) and content (Chats, Snaps, Stories, and Memories). As referenced earlier, Snap retains different types of user data for different periods of time. It is likely that law enforcement would want Snap to make a preservation as soon as possible after an alleged incident for which it seeks evidence.

VII. Emergency Requests
Sworn law enforcement officials may request user data on an emergency basis 24 hours a day by completing and submitting the Law Enforcement Emergency Response Form: Law Enforcement Online Service
Emergency requests must be submitted by a sworn law enforcement official and must come from an official law enforcement email domain. When filling out the emergency form, please provide the Snapchat username (see Section IV “Identifying a Snapchat Account” above) or associated phone number or email address, describe the nature of the emergency as specifically as possible, and specify the information that you are seeking to resolve the emergency situation.
Under 18 U.S.C. §§ 2702(b)(8) and 2702(c)(4), we are able to voluntarily disclose information when we believe in good faith that an emergency posing a threat of imminent death or serious bodily injury requires immediate disclosure.
bbm
Just to clarify, though, LE can’t retrieve everything sent in snapchat, even with an emergency order, even within 24 hours or 30 days. If it’s been deleted from Snapchat’s servers, it’s gone forever.

Our servers are designed to automatically delete one-to-one chats once the recipient has opened the message and both the sender and recipient have left the chat screen, depending on the user’s chat settings.

Snap’s servers are designed to automatically delete unopened one-to-one chats in 30 days. Users can also chat in groups. Chats sent in groups are deleted after 24 hours whether they are opened or not. A user can save a message in Chat by pressing and holding the message.

In Aniah’s case, if Aniah or her roommate had the automatic save turned on, or if they had manually saved the chat, then LE could get it. If not, then it was deleted once they left the chat.

I think an important thing to find out is when did Summer learn about the snapchat messages? When she tweeted about Aniah planning to meet a guy named Eric that she met on a dating site, did Summer already know about the snapchat messages and was embellishing the story? Or was she stating something that Aniah had supposedly told her about? If AB really wasn't planning to meet an Eric somewhere (which I don't think she was), and Summer didn't know specifics about the snapchat messages, then how did she know anything about the name Eric?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda