AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #4 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's very unlike any of the other cases that have been solved thus far with genetic genealogy. Usually, whether you know the suspect or not, you do not want to tip your hand that you are on to them and give them a chance to flee, kill themself, or kill an officer. In every case thats been solved, the DNA from the suspect was collected secretly as to not allow them any options.
It sounded like they told him that they wanted to see about a family tree that they were looking at when they asked for his DNA the first time.

I am starting to think the police do not have much more than DNA evidence to associate the suspect in this case with the murders of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett. If police had a 25 hour interrogation with the suspect, why would they not tell him the evidence? And yet he still pled not guilty. I can understand why they would not tell the general public. Still that DNA evidence is very persuasive in court when explained properly about how it was obtained and verified. This is a strong case if the DNA evidence is correct. Both girls provided evidence. J.B. Beasley had the physical evidence and Tracie Hawlett provided the circumstantial evidence concerning their location that night. Tracie also stated what their intentions were in a conversation with her mother.

So the question remains. It is the main question I am interested in. After J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett left the Big Little gas station on the night of July 31, 1999, where did they go next that ended up being the place they met their killer?

Setting Date: Wednesday May 29, 2019
Time: 2pm

26-DC-2019-000216.00 MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-DC-2019-000217.00 MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-DC-2019-000218.00 MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-DC-2019-000219.00 MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-DC-2019-000220.00 MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS

link: AlacourtACCESS

Please expand to read full post.

Link to a UT follow-up look by John Lordan about Coley McCraney's defense strategy.
[/QUOTE

Interesting as usual. Ambiguous though in some respects. No offense intended. I just wonder about the substance of “non-public sources”.
Unilateral transparency is a questionable viewport.

It however did bring out a few flaw points the prosecution’s case demonstrated during the preliminary hearing. Points not in approach of the prosecutor but how Walker and Bryant’s reported verbiage may well come back to haunt the case, and possibly themselves.

Let’s digress. McCraney getting bond: no, is not going to happen. Indictment coming soon: Yes. You can only hold/jail someone a limited time without an indictment; bond or not.
Ozark Police being lead agency in the case: yes, they most certainly are. It came close to not being that way I am sure, but stronger influence has prevailed and they remain that in title.
OPD/DA possibly making a faux pas and missing the one opportunity for a conviction: Not a chance. The Alabama AG has a capital offense prosecution unit that is involved in all death penalty cases to one degree or another. They are involved in this case rest assured.

A couple of questions if someone can clear things up a bit please.

Where does the information originate regarding his assault offenses while serving in the military? Kessler AFB is near Biloxi. (Harrison County). Performing a Courtnet search for that county I could not find and criminal charges. But it is obvious his residence was there however from my research. Perhaps another county? (Please do not come forward and say it came from his DD-214 without citing source)

The podcast mentions “tweets”. I am not a social media animal, I do not use Twitter. But for the information of those that are, can someone elaborate on who or what should Twitter Tweeters (I know, feel free to snicker) should follow or look for on that platform?

As always thanks to every who contributes with honesty and true transparency here. You are not just working toward closure for so many, and hopefully the truth of the matter.

Last edited:
Please expand to read full post.
Mainstream media WDHN (an ABC affiliate) is the one who tweeted re. preliminary court hearing
'So key takeaways from today’s hearing: — McCraney has previously been charged with unlawful possession of a handgun and assault of a child under the age of 16. Law enforcement contended that the weapon in question, a 9 mm Hi-Point pistol, belonged to him.'

Mainstream media WDHN (an ABC affiliate) is the one who tweeted re. preliminary court hearing
'So key takeaways from today’s hearing: — McCraney has previously been charged with unlawful possession of a handgun and assault of a child under the age of 16. Law enforcement contended that the weapon in question, a 9 mm Hi-Point pistol, belonged to him.'

Thank you. I could not find anything criminal on the courtnet. But I only checked Harrison county. Nothing on PACER except a bankruptcy.

Wednesday, May 29th:
*Bond Review Hearing (@ 2pm ET) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (July 31, 1999, Ozark) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (45/25 @ time of crime) arrested & charged (3/16/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Dale County #26-DC-2019-000215 to 220.00
Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA
4/3/19 Update: Dale County judge has found probable cause to bound the murder case against McCraney to a grand jury on June 6.
5/7/19 Update: Bond hearing was set on 5/22, but DA will be out of town. Rescheduled for 5/29.

I can't wait until this goes to trial.

This was one case I doubt would have ever been solved.

I still don't understand HOW they got so lost since the directions to the party were crystal clear.
I do understand completely. In the dark, and in a rural area, also I've read there were confusing street directions. There are those of us out there who have had what seemed like clear and easy directions to a destination, on paper, but who have become completely disorientated when the route is actually being followed. Lots of variables. And sometimes the directions giver does not explain things well. :)

I can't wait until this goes to trial.

This was one case I doubt would have ever been solved.

I still don't understand HOW they got so lost since the directions to the party were crystal clear.

They had only a hand drawn map written on napkin. And as someone else said, driving in the dark. And they were only “lost” for that brief time. They made it to the BP gas station in Headland before continuing on with the evening.

This hearing was certainly an interesting soirée. I knew Mr. Beasley had different thoughts on the murder and the perpetrators involved. I certainly did not expect to see his appearance pretrial.
The comment by the reporter (Ken Curtis) in that we will not likely see this type of testimony in the future because this is only a bond hearing is flawed thinking. I think we will see this (being Mr. Beasley as well as several other individuals ) again.

As such a Pandora’s box that is being opened will be another contentious point that will bring strong considerations for a change in venue.

I am surprised but not shocked.

Even though it would not exonerate Mr. McCraney, it would be interesting to know the details of what Mr. Beasley’s “investigators” are purporting. Coming to a 3M podcast in the future?? I doubt it.

Last edited:
This has been a high profile case in Alabama and will become an even more high profile trial. I'm expecting all types of legal wrangling from both sides. Time to wait and watch. It's certain to be interesting. Justice be served at last for Tracie and J.B.

This hearing was certainly an interesting soirée. I knew Mr. Beasley had different thoughts on the murder and the perpetrators involved. I certainly did not expect to see his appearance pretrial.
The comment by the reporter (Ken Curtis) in that we will not likely see this type of testimony in the future because this is only a bond hearing is flawed thinking. I think we will see this (being Mr. Beasley as well as several other individuals ) again.

As such a Pandora’s box that is being opened will be another contentious point that will bring strong considerations for a change in venue.

I am surprised but not shocked.

Even though it would not exonerate Mr. McCraney, it would be interesting to know the details of what Mr. Beasley’s “investigators” are purporting. Coming to a 3M podcast in the future?? I doubt it.
That "investigator" imo is a nut job and his tired old theory is crackpot and garbage. Mr. B might want to reevaluate the company he keeps if he's interested in justice for his daughter and Mrs. Tracie.

They had only a hand drawn map written on napkin. And as someone else said, driving in the dark. And they were only “lost” for that brief time. They made it to the BP gas station in Headland before continuing on with the evening.
It is very understandable how they could have gotten lost briefly or even longer!

That "investigator" imo is a nut job and his tired old theory is crackpot and garbage. Mr. B might want to reevaluate the company he keeps if he's interested in justice for his daughter and Mrs. Tracie.

I tend to agree. It was pretty outlandish. Probably a bounty hunter/ bondsman if the truth were known ..... wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fortypoundcat