Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's the other way around--the coworkers left before she did. Maybe she wanted to see the end of the set, or something.

Yes indeed. I think I said that co-workers could have also left before 10:45 pm or they could have arrived/left all before PH and co-worker that drove arrived at the bar.

If one of my friends texted me like that, I don't think I would be able to sleep and would still try contacting her.

Edited:

Was the friend awake when the text was sent? I'd like to think my friends would call me if I sent them a message like that - but obviously if they weren't awake...

I'm a bit older - so maybe things are different, but it wouldn't have been socially acceptable for one of us to leave, without another girl anyway, with two guys that we didn't know. (Not saying there's even a large percentage of men who aren't safe, but there are unfortunately a few who aren't.). However, if a girl did that who we knew but didn't know well, I'm not sure what we would have done to stop her...

The bar story is weird. Was she there with one coworker or a group? If it was a group, I'd be more inclined to believe she was there. Is it now a thing for girls to randomly leave the people they arrived with and go home with strangers? I didn't really see a reason to doubt the bar story before, but the more I think about it, the less I'm sure about. I could just be getting old and naive, I guess. I don't know what to think about it.

Last edited:
Very shortly after the local sheriff's office rep stated "death investigation" on a news feed this afternoon I recall a journalist on that feed (can't recall which of the local AL news stations I was watching, sorry) say that it was quite normal for them to use the wording "death investigation" at this point, versus homicide or homicide investigation.
Thank you, that was exactly what i was wondering, whether it was common or not. I was curious also if they had seen something such as a gunshot wound or stab wound, if they could automatically class as homicide, or whether it still needed cod to be released first..

I think someone mentioned drugs..not sure if that is true or not but if it is true, I could see her leaving with friends to do drugs and she ODs..and the "friends" start to make up some lame story about strangers so they don't get in trouble for giving her the drugs she ODed on.

Whatever it is..the term "complicated" sounds very bad to me.
And either way..she did not put herself in some small hole or shallow grave.

Thank you, that was exactly what i was wondering, whether it was common or not. I was curious also if they had seen something such as a gunshot wound or stab wound, if they could automatically class as homicide, or whether it still needed cod to be released first..

And just because that's what they're saying to the public doesn't mean that's what they say among themselves.

I read this and thought I read everything on here before but maybe I missed it? The time lapse of the "friend" getting the text message and calling the family.
Trussvile PD: 'Our prayers are with the Houston Family’
I knew of the time lapse as a result of a Facebook post by Paighton’s mom. I’m not sure if it had been referenced by the media before now though.

It’s odd, and fits perfectly with this entire case. Odd.

I think someone mentioned drugs..not sure if that is true or not but if it is true, I could see her leaving with friends to do drugs and she ODs..and the "friends" start to make up some lame story about strangers so they don't get in trouble for giving her the drugs she ODed on.

Whatever it is..the term "complicated" sounds very bad to me.
And either way..she did not put herself in some small hole or shallow grave.

We do know that she had a past issue with heroin, so drugs being related is plausible.

The issue with the overdose theory is that burying a body, and misleading an investigation via a fake text and false information about potential suspects, would be highly unusual.

I’ve heard of countless cases where someone overdoses, and their friends or acquaintances panic and dump the body.

What they don’t do, is any of the things this friend/friends would have had to have done here.

So I’m not a fan.

This just seems too well thought out.

Was the friend awake when the text was sent? I'd like to think my friends would call me if I sent them a message like that - but obviously if they weren't awake...

I'm a bit older - so maybe things are different, but it wouldn't have been socially acceptable for one of us to leave, without another girl anyway, with two guys that we didn't know. However, if a girl did that who we knew but didn't know well, I'm not sure what we would have done to stop her...

The bar story is weird. Was she there with one coworker or a group? If it was a group, I'd be more inclined to believe she was there. Is it now a thing for girls to randomly leave the people they arrived with and go home with strangers? I could just be getting old and naive, I guess. I don't know what to think about it.

Ahh, I did not think about that she could have very well been asleep.

I am over 30 but in my 20's we wouldn't even go to the bathroom alone. I remember my first club,/,bar I rest my drink down while dancing and right away my friend was like don't do that.

I am leaning towards she was at the bar but not sure how she really left

I haven’t read every post but I think I have a pretty good handle on the case and it appears fairly simple.

Shes at the bar and gets intoxicated to the point where she leaves with two men who she knows (or doesn’t know) The men believe that this is an easy (fill in the blanks) and soon find out it’s not. They rape her and fearing identification they kill her and knowing that no ones home at the house they bury her in the backyard.

This. I see nothing unusual about this case, sadly. It's the kind of thing that happens. The only incongruent elements are some law enforcement comments on an active investigation which will make sense in time.

If I were to hazard a guess about the security camera footage statement, the perpetrators were probably shady enough to keep their faces off camera from the second they walked into the bar or at least needed to think they had been.

We do know that she had a past issue with heroin, so drugs being related is plausible.

The issue with the overdose theory is that burying a body, and misleading an investigation via a fake text and false information about potential suspects, would be highly unusual.

I’ve heard of countless cases where someone overdoses, and their friends or acquaintances panic and dump the body.

What they don’t do, is any of the things this friend/friends would have had to have done here.

So I’m not a fan.

This just seems too well thought out.
Texting..... you so not get too really know someone’s intentions, fears or concerns. If you are in recovery, struggling to maintain that struggle, you need to be more...for lack of a better word..personable. You need to let that person know that you will help them if they CALL you. No texts. I think people would take a phone call at whatever time over a text phone-bleep, could be anything! Your alerts, news, anything. But a phone call? I respond to them totally differently. I missed my 1st grandsons birth because I ignored his fathers text bleep. Didn’t happen for the 2nds.

This statement sounds like total BS to me.
BBM

It is a very calm 'flight or fight,' response, imo, for a street smart 29 year old who is feeling extremely uneasy in the company of two big guys, as described by this witness, with the addition of 'willing,' added in for context, (this stood out to me).

Also, the odd plea, which suggests: please answer the phone, in the middle of the night, in case these 2 guys, who are making me feel unsafe, decide to hurt me.

Imo, it does not add up.

This. I see nothing unusual about this case, sadly. It's the kind of thing that happens. The only incongruent elements are some law enforcement comments on an active investigation which will make sense in time.

If I were to hazard a guess about the security camera footage statement, the perpetrators were probably shady enough to keep their faces off camera from the second they walked into the bar or at least needed to think they had been.
You following the same case as the rest of us?

If it was just the lack of security camera footage, then this wouldn’t be all that complicated.

I've been following this case in bits and pieces but my understanding is the friend didn't see the text message because she was asleep--not that she fell asleep after seeing it?
I just think the timeline seems odd. She goes out drinking with her good friend. After a very short time in the bar, she sees her friend leave with 2 strangers.

Then she herself leaves the bar, goes home to sleep, and never checks on her friend, whose car is still parked outside.

Wouldn't she text or call her friend, knowing she left with 2 unknown males---to check she is ok? I think most friends would have called before leaving the bar. She had driven PH there---and PH never said ' yo, I'm leaving and I dont need a ride home.'

<sbm>
The bar story is weird. Was she there with one coworker or a group? If it was a group, I'd be more inclined to believe she was there. Is it now a thing for girls to randomly leave the people they arrived with and go home with strangers? I could just be getting old and naive, I guess. I don't know what to think about it.

I'm recalling a statement her dad made on TV when his daughter was first reported missing.

He stated PH's plan for Friday night was to have a night out with a group from work to spend time together and to listen to live music.

To my knowledge, there's never been any confirmation from LE or co-workers that there was a planned workgroup outing or if the outing was only between HP and the workmate that reportedly drove that evening.

I believe today was the first date that MSM reported it was around breakfast time on Saturday that PH's workmate contacted the family to tell them about PH leaving the bar with 2 men and the text message she later received from PH.

I don't think it's been reported when workmate read the text message but I'm assuming it was also Saturday morning. MOO

Trussvile PD: 'Our prayers are with the Houston Family’

As others have pointed out up thread, the Tin Roof has extensive outdoor areas. It's unknown whether they were covered by security cameras. Or whether they were accessible without going through areas covered by security cameras. Also possible to meet someone while taking a smoke break outside the establishment, within eye-shot but outside camera range.

I just think the timeline seems odd. She goes out drinking with her good friend. After a very short time in the bar, she sees her friend leave with 2 strangers.

Then she herself leaves the bar, goes home to sleep, and never checks on her friend, whose car is still parked outside.

Wouldn't she text or call her friend, knowing she left with 2 unknown males---to check she is ok? I think most friends would have called before leaving the bar. She had driven PH there---and PH never said ' yo, I'm leaving and I dont need a ride home.'
A different mindset than in my day. We came together, we went home together. He wants to come by for you or me, scarily fine. But I will or you will know his name. I shudder how we lived before cell phones etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member