Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what the text allegedly said:

“Idk who im with so if I call please answer. I feel in trouble.”

I can’t read this and think that she’s talking about a relapse. The danger appears to be from the people she says she doesn’t know. That’s why she mentioned them, providing context to her last sentence “I feel in trouble.”

I continue to believe that it is unlikely she wrote this text, and that these men even exist.

I wonder if that bar has a black clientel or a white one.

Though I have not lived deep south for 25 years,when I did blacks, whites socialized at different venues. For example, blacks who had invited me to their homes also told me that my presence in a black club would "freak people out". Likewise, they expressed no interest in going to the white country bars I went to.

That was a generation ago and times have changed.

Even still, I wonder how distinct two large black guys would be at a predominately white bar and would employees and other patrons independently notice them and who they spoke to?

Likewise, if TRs is predominately black, would the victim have stood out and had been independently noticed by customers and employees regarding who she talked to, left with etc?
It is predominantly a white bar but I have been there and the presence of an African American patron wouldn't necessarily be THAT unusual. The area is popular among the younger crowd who live and work downtown ( mostly). But "two large heavy-set black males" might draw attention- as would "two large heavy-set white guys" or "insert any race here".

Yeah, that's what I think.

Anyone who mentions being in fear of relapsing is probably doing it for effect. If you were already with someone with the drugs, that decision has been made.
I feel I trouble is far from a cry for help regarding you habit. Also I have family in Birmingham for as long as I’ve been alive. I’ve heard “I might be in trouble” used from everything from tipping the truck on two wheels, to sassing The wife.

What if there are no black guys and she didn’t send the text and her friend is to blame for the whole thing? What if she was never at the bar at all? What if the friend is connected to the property where she is buried? I’d be checking. Hopefully they are covering every angle.

It is a female. But I am not sure if it was just a stranger guessing or if it was someone in the know. I am saying this because someone upthread stated that they think coworker is a friend zoned guy (which I was also kind of thinking too...but then saw the Instagram thing). I am not sure if we're allowed to say her place of employment. So I put X.
RSBM. Prior MSM reported the pronoun "she/hers" when referring to the co-worker/"friend".

I grew up in the Opelika/Auburn area before my family moved to B'ham......and "in trouble" is a very common phrase in that area of the South. I would use it. And I have heard it used by many people in all kinds of context.....some serious and some in jest.
I've heard "in trouble" a lot here in Alabama but never "i feel in trouble". Have you heard that phrase often? Curious as I know it can be a bit varied from region to region.

I can’t read this and think that she’s talking about a relapse. The danger appears to be from the people she says she doesn’t know. That’s why she mentioned them, providing context to her last sentence “I feel in trouble.”

I continue to believe that it is unlikely she wrote this text, and that these men even exist.
Well, not knowing who she is with and therefore not feeling accountable to sobriety OR fear of needing a ride after she does use as she doesn't know who she is with so therefore can't rely on them to get her home could explain it.

I don't think that is as likely as it not being sent by her at all, though.

I’m uncertain why people r looking for another explanation to the meaning “I feel in trouble” (if she sent it)
She clearly was in trouble. She’s dead.

ETA: And she sure as heck didn’t Wrap herself in cloth and burry herself in a shallow grave.

So to add another personal anecdote to the newest commentary on her texts...

But very long story short and before I wised up (specifically because of this night), I was one time in a really bad situation. I was VERY drunk and had done a decent amount of drugs that night and I somehow ended up at a strangers house doing more free drugs. I felt very, very uncomfortable when I came-to, but I also wanted more drugs. I texted my friends something similar to what Paighton said. I texted it quickly while the person I was with was in the other room so they would know I may need help, but that I was not immediately in danger. Obviously my situation ended up very differently than whatever happened to Paighton, but I thought I would share this. So much of what happened to Paighton has really struck a cord with me and hits closer to home than I like to admit, so maybe that is why I keep thinking of parallels.

On a side note, I also think we may be reading too much into the "I feel in trouble". It would not made any sense at all for someone to text that from her phone (and if the text did not happen at all, I am sure the police would have known that by now). I know when I am typing fast, I just say the quickest thing that comes to mind. If the text was indeed from her, she was most likely texting fast, but was not scared enough in the moment to actually call. I don't think there is some hidden meaning behind the syntax of that text.

From the standpoint of a perp telling on themselves, I read it like this:

"Idk who im with" = Paighton thinks she knows me but she doesn't.
"I feel in trouble" = I'm in trouble because I killed her.

Just my take.

:p
Anyone who mentions being in fear of relapsing is probably doing it for effect. If you were already with someone with the drugs, that decision has been made.
I feel I trouble is far from a cry for help regarding you habit. Also I have family in Birmingham for as long as I’ve been alive. I’ve heard “I might be in trouble” used from everything from tipping the truck on two wheels, to sassing the wife.
You just made this Southern Gal laugh out loud!!!:p:p

I’m uncertain why people r looking for another explanation to the meaning “I feel in trouble” (if she sent it)
She clearly was in trouble. She’s dead.

ETA: And she sure as heck didn’t Wrap herself in cloth and burry herself in a shallow grave.
I think it is what type of trouble being explored. I.e., trouble as in suspicion of being physically harmed, robbed, etc or trouble as in, I'm going to relapse and will need a ride and cover. Ultimately, we know the outcome was trouble. It still doesn't explain what happened that lead to the grave. MOO

A black neighbor was interviewed. Most neighborhoods are racially segregated in my experience. Is anyone familiar with this area & its demographics?

So, what’s the point?
Not all trap houses are associated with POC and not all POC know one another. And racial segregation of neighborhoods is a thing of the past, in my experience, as a POC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member