GUILTY AL - Three dead, 3 injured in shooting at UAH, Amy Bishop charged

Issues with JVM will be discussing this case tonight on her show.

Apparently her mother was on the board at the police department when she killed her brother. Perhaps getting away with crimes in the past let her feel she could get away with more serious crimes in the future!

On Prof. Bishop's publication list on her university website:
http://www.uah.edu/biology/amy.html
she has 3 publications since 2006, all in 2009.

The first one listed is available online at the website of the International Journal of General Medicine:
http://www.dovepress.com/effects-of...n-motor-neuron-sur-peer-reviewed-article-IJGM

Peculiarly, while she and her husband are the final two authors, the first three authors are: Lily B. Anderson, Phaedra B. Anderson, and Thea B. Anderson. :waitasec: Are these her children? Given that she is reported to have 4 children aged 9 and 18, it seems unlikely that 3 of them would have actually contributed to the authorship of this study. In addition, this journal appears to be a very obscure one. It is not included in the online database Journal Citation Reports which indexes most journals along with their impact factors (i.e., how often their papers are cited); and its papers do not appear to be indexed in PubMed, the main online index of medically related papers.

It seems to me that a rational, calculating person trying to get tenure would realize that putting the names of her children who have not contributed anything on a paper (if that is in fact what happened), and publicizing it on her website, would appear odd and not reflect well on her to her colleagues, which makes me more questioning of her mental state leading up to her crime.

Apparently her mother was on the board at the police department when she killed her brother. Perhaps getting away with crimes in the past let her feel she could get away with more serious crimes in the future!

I probably need to go back and do some reading, ....QUESTION: Is Bishop's mother still living?

I think we're all still in shock over the events. I'm a UAH (now UAHuntsville) Grad, and had two semesters with one of the now deceased professors.....This really hit home, Hard. I hope the Biology Dept at UAH can recover....I can't imagine what the witnesses and the families of the victims are going through it's just senseless.....

in addition, I will say that Dr Bishop was known through out the Scientific Community, but not necessarily in the best of ways.....I know that her name was listed at one business in particular that she was NOT allowed in the building or around the premises. period.

wow... so it seems that there were all kinds of signs. i know how it can be, though. a person can seem pretty "crazy," and still--who thinks they're going to do this?

i suppose if people had all the info to go on, but i'm sure that people who knew her in alabama didn't know about her brother or about the harvard bomb thing and it's all just coming together now.

well, wait though. her g-d family sure knew about it all. grrr..... that's where the fault may lie.

Her husband now admits she borrowed a gun from someone. In a previous interview he claimed the family didn't own a gun. The two of them have also gone to the shooting range to practice.
"Amy Bishop's husband, James Anderson, told both The Chronicle and The New York Times on Sunday that the family did not own a gun. But in an interview with The Chronicle today, he acknowledged that she had borrowed a gun, though he wasn't sure from whom. "She was very cagey and didn't say," he said."
http://chronicle.com/blogPost/U-of-Wisconsin-at-Milwaukee/21267

Quincy man recalls Amy Bishop with gun

Shortly after fatally shooting her brother in 1986, Amy Bishop held two men at gunpoint and demanded a getaway car at an auto repair shop near her family's Braintree home, according to one of the men involved.

Carrying a shotgun by her side, a 21-year-old Bishop walked intently across a car lot into the adjacent storefront, where she began searching for car keys. Coming down from the second floor, she was heading toward the garage when she ran into Tom Pettigrew and a friend, who had spotted her in the parking lot and came to investigate.

"Her gun hit me in the chest," Pettigrew, 45, recalled from his Quincy apartment. "I yelled, 'What are doing?' and she screamed at me to put my hands up. So I put my hands up."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/quincy_man_reca.html

The first one listed is available online at the website of the International Journal of General Medicine:
http://www.dovepress.com/effects-of...n-motor-neuron-sur-peer-reviewed-article-IJGM

Peculiarly, while she and her husband are the final two authors, the first three authors are: Lily B. Anderson, Phaedra B. Anderson, and Thea B. Anderson. :waitasec: Are these her children? Given that she is reported to have 4 children aged 9 and 18, it seems unlikely that 3 of them would have actually contributed to the authorship of this study. In addition, this journal appears to be a very obscure one. It is not included in the online database Journal Citation Reports which indexes most journals along with their impact factors (i.e., how often their papers are cited); and its papers do not appear to be indexed in PubMed, the main online index of medically related papers.

It seems to me that a rational, calculating person trying to get tenure would realize that putting the names of her children who have not contributed anything on a paper (if that is in fact what happened), and publicizing it on her website, would appear odd and not reflect well on her to her colleagues, which makes me more questioning of her mental state leading up to her crime.

Thank you; a fascinating first post! I think that your perception is probably right (the three Andersons all have sibling-like names and share a middle initial, "B", which might be for Bishop). My only guess is that this might be the family's strategy to prevent the university from gaining financial control of her research since that was almost certainly an issue in the tenure battle.

thanks for the above post.....wish there was some way to find out those other Andersons listed.....

Two of the children are named Phaeder and Thea, according to this article:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/ipswich_neighbo.html

This blog had a lot of information about the brother, from a former classmate. Also pictures from the high school yearbook for both Seth and Amy. The rest of the site is kinda borderline conspiracy-theory-ish, LOL, but the info on the Bishops seems legit.
http://secretsun.blogspot.com/2010/02/crimes-cover-ups-and-fringe-science.html

Below is good site on the "research" Amy Bishop was doing, including comparing her 2003 research plan to her 2008 research plan, the possible "academic fraud" of publishing her 2009 papers in a vanity journal (read the bit on how it handles peer review - if it wasn't so tragic, it'd be funny).

http://afamilyofshepherds.blogspot.com/2010/02/is-accused-murderer-dr-amy-bishop.html

From the site:
"There is no question that Dr. Bishop is smart. But it also seems very evident that she suffers delusions of genuis. Far from establishing a record of accomplishment warranting the grant of tenure, since joining UAH Dr. Bishop took a long nap on her one true laurel -- her affiliation with Harvard .

Evidence strongly suggests that Dr. Bishop used her husband, her family and by all appearances the sham 'Cherokee Labsystems' to fabricate a record of recent accomplishments. Her use of essentially online vanity publishers further diminsihes her professional stature.

It should have been no surprise to Dr. Bishop that her Department Chair would easily see through the smoke and mirrrors and that she would not receive tenure. But an oversized ego can be blinding.

It seems clear that Dr. Bishop re-wrote the rules for herself. Rather than face the reality that she needed to conduct real research and publish substantial, scholarly work in truly peer reviewed journals, Dr. Bishop tried to cheat her way to tenure. And, when that failed, it appears Dr. Bishop premeditated a new plan: if you don't accept what I publish, you will perish."

Also interesting is that one of her "space experiments" was a balloon launched by some local students who belonged to a rocketry club. Egads.
There is more on Cherokee Labsystems (the hubby's gig), also.

I'm just stunned at how someone could "function" for so long with her kind of dysfunction - much less have a family, stay under the radar, and have a parent (and a husband, it seems) so willing to cover it all up. Unbelievable.

~mo_mom

Great first post, mo_mom!

Welcome to Websleuths!

This blog had a lot of information about the brother, from a former classmate. Also pictures from the high school yearbook for both Seth and Amy. The rest of the site is kinda borderline conspiracy-theory-ish, LOL, but the info on the Bishops seems legit.
http://secretsun.blogspot.com/2010/02/crimes-cover-ups-and-fringe-science.html

Below is good site on the "research" Amy Bishop was doing, including comparing her 2003 research plan to her 2008 research plan, the possible "academic fraud" of publishing her 2009 papers in a vanity journal (read the bit on how it handles peer review - if it wasn't so tragic, it'd be funny).

http://afamilyofshepherds.blogspot.com/2010/02/is-accused-murderer-dr-amy-bishop.html

From the site:
"There is no question that Dr. Bishop is smart. But it also seems very evident that she suffers delusions of genuis. Far from establishing a record of accomplishment warranting the grant of tenure, since joining UAH Dr. Bishop took a long nap on her one true laurel -- her affiliation with Harvard .

Evidence strongly suggests that Dr. Bishop used her husband, her family and by all appearances the sham 'Cherokee Labsystems' to fabricate a record of recent accomplishments. Her use of essentially online vanity publishers further diminsihes her professional stature.

It should have been no surprise to Dr. Bishop that her Department Chair would easily see through the smoke and mirrrors and that she would not receive tenure. But an oversized ego can be blinding.

It seems clear that Dr. Bishop re-wrote the rules for herself. Rather than face the reality that she needed to conduct real research and publish substantial, scholarly work in truly peer reviewed journals, Dr. Bishop tried to cheat her way to tenure. And, when that failed, it appears Dr. Bishop premeditated a new plan: if you don't accept what I publish, you will perish."

Also interesting is that one of her "space experiments" was a balloon launched by some local students who belonged to a rocketry club. Egads.
There is more on Cherokee Labsystems (the hubby's gig), also.

I'm just stunned at how someone could "function" for so long with her kind of dysfunction - much less have a family, stay under the radar, and have a parent (and a husband, it seems) so willing to cover it all up. Unbelievable.

~mo_mom

Good post, mo_mom, and welcome.

I think we often put academic success, especially at this level, on a different platform where being an eccentric genius is more accepted. We don't know how "normal" the husband is. Some of his comments have been very odd.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FOGLIGHTINVESTIGATIONS
Back