GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - #13

TB, that's what I was thinking as well.....that the letter in question was the original that was received by AL in prison (or a copy of said original). Knowing what we know about the guy, I certainly wouldn't be shocked or the least bit surprised to think that he would use his artistic abilities to try to doctor up a letter. Actually, it sounds like something that would be right down his alley. LOL

I don't have notes in front of me and she was hard to hear at times, so I could be mistaken, but IIRC, the point they were arguing over in the letter was whether or not CL had stated in the letter that her attorneys scared her into pleading. I *think* she had agreed that the portion of the letter that stated she was afraid she couldn't get a fair trial was her handwriting, but there was apparently a part in there talking about her attorneys scaring her into pleading and *that* was the part she was saying didn't look like her writing. She said the writing was "too pretty" and I'm pretty sure she mentioned that she thought something had been erased and reworded?

I was under the impression she was insinuating that AL had taken her original letter and doctored it up in his jail cell before handing it over to his attorney. Could be a totally wrong assumption on my part, but that's what I took from that entire exchange. I think it wound up being one of those splitting hairs things. He kept asking her if it was her letter and she said yes. He was then asking about different parts of the letter. She agreed one portion was her words (fair trial/media attn), but denied the other portion was her words (scared by attorneys). I *think* the last question he asked was, "....but this is your letter" (as in, overall as a whole) and she stated "yes" and that ended the exchange. I was unclear as to if she ever conceded that she wrote the "scared by attorneys" part.

At the end of the day, it was really a moot point. I don't think it was going to change the outcome of the trail. Even if she had said "Yep...wrote every word!". JMO

I absolutely agree that "doctoring a letter" would be right up AL's alley. I do know that CL did tell family and friends that she was afraid, she would not get a fair trial and that her attorneys rushed her to plea. But you're right, whatever point Bill James was trying to make didn't even matter at that point.

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/web-extra-arron-lewis-trial-interviews

In the above interview that reporter(s) did with AL's attorney Bill James is IMO a must watch. When reporter asks Bill James in regards to if he feels he got a fair trial or not, James replies "I feel like we had a fair trial."

When reporter asks about AL's statements made prior to James representing AL, James replies "I can certainly say that his statements didn't help us any."

When reporter asks if there is going to be an appeal, James replies "absolutely. When you have a life sentence, it is mandatory, we'd appeal anyway and we'll go over and we'll see what issues there are and we'll appeal it and we'll see where we're at."

When reporter asks about AL testifying, James replies "I don't think we would've won if he wouldn't have testified."

When reporter is talking about evidence and jury etc, James replies "There was certainly enough there for them to find him guilty."

Bringing my own post forward as these are quotes from Bill James, AL's attorney who obviously IMO knows more about the case that what any of us 'think' we know. As BBM above, it appears to me from Bill James' statements above that whether or not AL testified, it still would have made NO difference in regards to the outcome of the case as Bill James' stated "I don't think we would've won if he wouldn't have testified."

Also, it appears to me from Bill James' statements above in regards to questions from reporter(s) about evidence that there WAS sufficient evidence as Bill James' statement of "there was certainly enough there for them to find him guilty."

So, JMO, these statements above coming from AL's defense attorney - Bill James - are of utmost importance as he also states "I feel like we had a fair trial."

We could sit here and second guess everything for weeks to come, why this happened, why this didn't happen, who said this and who said that, and continue to pick things apart and/or look for a loop-hole to try and dispute the jury's verdict of being guilty, but IMO it does NOT matter because AL was found GUILTY as charged and WAS sentenced to LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE. And as AL's attorney has said, he feels like it was a fair trial and I will end my posts with this post because IMO, it is what it is and I personally feel there is no longer a need to pick apart what has taken place, nor is there a need to continually try to find things that were or were not done as IMO JUSTICE WAS SERVED!

Bringing my own post forward as these are quotes from Bill James, AL's attorney who obviously IMO knows more about the case that what any of us 'think' we know. As BBM above, it appears to me from Bill James' statements above that whether or not AL testified, it still would have made NO difference in regards to the outcome of the case as Bill James' stated "I don't think we would've won if he wouldn't have testified."

Also, it appears to me from Bill James' statements above in regards to questions from reporter(s) about evidence that there WAS sufficient evidence as Bill James' statement of "there was certainly enough there for them to find him guilty."

So, JMO, these statements above coming from AL's defense attorney - Bill James - are of utmost importance as he also states "I feel like we had a fair trial."

We could sit here and second guess everything for weeks to come, why this happened, why this didn't happen, who said this and who said that, and continue to pick things apart and/or look for a loop-hole to try and dispute the jury's verdict of being guilty, but IMO it does NOT matter because AL was found GUILTY as charged and WAS sentenced to LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE. And as AL's attorney has said, he feels like it was a fair trial and I will end my posts with this post because IMO, it is what it is and I personally feel there is no longer a need to pick apart what has taken place, nor is there a need to continually try to find things that were or were not done as IMO JUSTICE WAS SERVED!
RBBM,
I totally agree that Justice was served and they will both Thankfully be serving 2 life sentences for AL (unless some chance in gets overturned but we have no idea of what he has that is Appeal able at this time) And CL will be doing 29/12 more years or 19 1/2 til she is eligible to apply for Parole.

But as far as talking about the case and picking apart stuff, JMHO and from looking on the forum index page there are TONS of cases (some going back to OLD cases still being discussed) Look at WM3 for instance... or Casey Anthony... or Darlie Routier... there is one I read on every now and again, Jeffery McDonald that still has Appeals going on and new stuff... that was back in Feb 1970 when he killed his wife and daughters and wasnt convicted until 1979. YET there is still discussion... JMHO but just because this case has ended with a Guilty, does not mean it wont be talked about or picked apart for a long time to come. Or that it has to be. Again I reference back to the Forum. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forum.php

I would think that there will also be discussion after the automatic Appeal is filed with the Arkansas Supreme Court. JMHO

ETA: and I highly doubt that that AL (since he is in SuperMax ADOC) or his Attorneys are looking to the comments here for any "loop holes". Just like some wanted to post with out having the correct evidence, that the Pros had and presented of WHO posted the Affidavit on AL Facebook and other stuff. They have highly paid investigators and OH YES, they have all the actual evidence/discovery and official transcripts of the trial. But I am not saying they do or do not read at Websleuths, as I do not know either way. JMHO

I absolutely agree that "doctoring a letter" would be right up AL's alley. I do know that CL did tell family and friends that she was afraid, she would not get a fair trial and that her attorneys rushed her to plea. But you're right, whatever point Bill James was trying to make didn't even matter at that point.

RBBM, JMHO that was exactly the point the attorney was trying to make. And at that point (in this trial I mean) He was (or jmho) was trying to say that CL was scared into making a plea. Not having been in the legal system prior. And at this point in the trial, it was still prior to AL taking the stand so it could possibly have made a difference in the Def scheme of presenting their case. He was trying to make the point that she lied and was testifying to what they needed. JMHO Looks like from what your saying (repeating) is she told that to someone other than the person in Prison that she told that too.

There is an update posted to Arron's profile already. No big surprise. It would be nice if the Carter family could have complete closure. I don't see his conviction being overturned, but we know that the attorney of AL will stoop to his level. If you lay with dogs, lie with dogs, etc.... Bill James will only succeed in tarnishing his own reputation, while attempting to tarnish that of the Carter family.

Here is an EXAMPLE of another Real case, same Lawyers (Bill James and Lee Short) Life w/out Parole. This is out of Washington County *same area just coincidence where AL was serving his Parole Viol from (Benton and Washington Cty in Arkansas)
Long read, but interesting (to me) :lookingitup:

Those who aren't interested, I apologize in advance. Maybe just skip over this comment, I only using for an example and wont post stuff about it again as far as I can foresee as would be O/T on another case.

BUT will give those who like myself like looking at the legal and other stuff evidentuary kinda stuff what will be like and the long time frame, since now that AL has been sentenced to LIFE x 2, there is that Automatic Appeal.

REMEMBER USING THIS ONLY AS AN EXAMPLE :
Orig Case
Viol date 12/26/2012
Capital Murder and Kidnapping
Case Description

Case ID: 72CR-13-172C - STATE V HEATHER CARLENE SWAIN -JURY TRIAL
Filing Date: Tuesday , January 29th, 2013
Court: 72 - WASHINGTON
Type: DI - CRIMINAL DIRECT FILED
Status: CLOSED - CASE CLOSED https://caseinfo.aoc.arkansas.gov/c...=P&case_id=72CR-13-172C&begin_date=&end_date=

AGAIN ONLY USING AS AN EXAMPLE AND GUIDE
Automatic Appeal to Arkansas Supreme Court

Case Description

Case ID: CR-14-548 - HEATHER SWAIN V STATE OF ARKANSAS
Filing Date: Thursday , June 19th, 2014
Court: AR - STATE OF ARKANSAS
Type: SC - CAPITAL LIFE W/O PAROLE
Status: FINAL - FINAL https://caseinfo.aoc.arkansas.gov/c...kto=P&case_id=CR-14-548&begin_date=&end_date=

^^^ WAS AFFIRMED BUT
04/02/2015
09:06 AM MAJORITY OPINION SWAIN, HEATHER
Entry: Affirmed. Baker and Hart, JJ., dissent.
Images OPINION *<<CAN READ

Petitioned for a Rehearing:
05/14/2015
09:02 AM LETTER ORDERS - SC SWAIN, HEATHER
Entry: Petition for rehearing is denied. Baker and Hart, JJ., would grant. (same 2 judges)
Images ORDER

Now they have filed A petition for writ of certiorari

7/07/2015
03:35 PM AMENDED MOTION SWAIN, HEATHER
Entry: Amended motion for recall of mandate in order to petition for writ of certiorari.
Images MOTION

08/21/2015
01:18 PM LETTER FROM COURT
Entry: A petition for writ of certiorari was filed on August 7, 2015 and placed on the docket for August 11, 2015 as No. 15-188 in the Supreme Court of the United States Office of the Clerk in Washington, DC.
Images LETTER

09/03/2015
09:00 AM MOTION SUBMITTED SWAIN, HEATHER
Entry: Motion and amended motion for recall of mandate in order to petition for writ of certiorari.
Images No Images

09/10/2015
09:18 AM FORMAL ORDERS - SC SWAIN, HEATHER
Entry: Motion and amended motion for recall of mandate in order to petition for writ of certiorari is granted.
Images ORDER
Amended Formal Order

10/14/2015
10:26 AM MANDATE TO CLERK
Entry: none.
Images Mandate https://caseinfo.aoc.arkansas.gov/c...kto=P&case_id=CR-14-548&begin_date=&end_date=

ANYWAYS here is what an APPEAL LOOKS LIKE AND FROM THE SAME ATTORNEYS THAT AL HAS NOW.

420 PAGES!!
https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i...resent2?DMS_ID=6XI3B4FEIK4D7FHICTW09EFL3H9DUG

The fact that the duct tape around her face was free of debris and those pesky ninja grasshoppers would have sealed it for me. There were many things that would have sealed it for me as a juror, and I would have gone in with an open mind had I not done all of the sleuthing (I definitely couldn't have been on his jury). The fact that his attorney acted like a complete bully, and need I comment on the attitude of his sidekick, AL, wouldn't seem to give the jury warm fuzzies about the characters of those two wise guys trying to tarnish the character of the victim. Did I read a juror gave them the side eye on more than one occasion? I am shocked that there was no DNA, but glad, as there surely would have been some had there been a morsel of truth to the "activities" detailed in the affadavit. I did wonder why there was no dog hair from their home, etc. Could have been, and maybe just not mentioned in testimony?

I believe most, if not all of the testimony from CL. If she admitted to being a prositute, to wanting Beverly permanently gone, especially after she potentially saw her name on med bottles, etc., she was putting it all out there. I am unsure about whether or not they planned to murder her from the start. Beverly saw him, and he never attempted to hide that. It is hard to believe that not so minor detail was never brought up.

Does anyone know how many appeals are allotted in a life sentence? For the sake of that precious family, I would love for AL and his bully attorney to really go away.

There is an update posted to Arron's profile already. No big surprise. It would be nice if the Carter family could have complete closure. I don't see his conviction being overturned, but we know that the attorney of AL will stoop to his level. If you lay with dogs, lie with dogs, etc.... Bill James will only succeed in tarnishing his own reputation, while attempting to tarnish that of the Carter family.

I saw that! Geez! I think his "prisoner rights" or whatever entitlement he's being given to allow others to post to his FB needs to STOP. 100% agree with you the Carters have been put through enough with his stupid antics. Enough is enough! Bill James is a total fool if he keeps representing AL! I might add at the AR tax payers expense too.

Going over stuff we went over here at WS forever ago, and over and over. Couple even thought that that the GRAY TRUCK guy wasnt ever anything because was only mention once by guy on the media interview. IIRC someone from search team was told only of a black car.

Interview very early on with the man in a truck in camo cap talking about seeing a old beat up gray truck at the house
http://www.news.com.au/world/north-...e/news-story/9943787a88db2d15868f700635e79755
@2:29 mark guy says he says "a tall skinny white man got out of the truck.."

^^That lead was followed up by someone, but Defense said search warrant for the gray truck and tan Ford Taurus didn't mention black midsize car being seen, and search warrant for the black Ford Focus didn't mention the gray truck and tan Ford Taurus.

J Butler testified she lives directly across the street from 14202 Old River Drive and 9/25/14 saw a black midsize car at the house along with what is know now as BC brown Cadillac. She saw it as she was opening the blinds in her husbands upstairs window as she was going to watch tv. Stated didnt see veh's drive up were already there.

On first day of Trial Jan 13, 2016 @ appox 445pm Co Chair Def Lawyer Lee Short cross examined Lead Detective Jeffery Allison.
Short stated the first vehicle mentioned was a midsize black car from witness J. Butler when he interviewed her late that night or very early morning of 9/26/2014

Allison agreed

Short asked why the next day (JMHO this would be 9/26, 2014) a search warrant was written up for a gray truck and a tan Ford Taurus

Allison testified he had no idea why they were getting the Search Warrants and didnt even know the name James Sipes until just now, he didnt do any search warrants.

Defense Attorney Short stated someone name D. Sipes had responded to one of Crystal Lowery's Craiglist ads.

On court docket for Defense but not called (and I going to assume this is because of maybe the heated discussion on the morning of last day of Trial Friday. Jan 15,2016 had something to do with it and after AL crazy testimony no more witnesses were going to help, AL sealed his own fate with his crazy testimony)JMHO

01/13/2016
11:16 AM SUBPOENA NON-EST
Entry: FOR JAMES SIPES / JANUARY 12-15 2016 @8:30AM / VACANT PROPERTY ** JMHO this means no one living at address on subponea? (vacant property)
Images No Images

I remember discussing the grey truck and the black car. For some reason,
I thought that he had driven a truck to meet Beverly and then left and returned in the Black Ford. However, according to the lady across the street,
the only other vehicle at the house was the Ford. I'm not sure how the man
in the news article could mistaken a Ford Fusion for a truck. Unless, Mrs. Butler didn't see the truck because it was parked behind the row of trees that bordered the parking pad. End the end, I guess the Ford Fusion is the only
car that matters.

Oh and now I remember, a good friend of Beverly's that lives on the same
street also described the same truck. It was a Toyota Tacoma. And she never saw the Ford Fusion.

I remember discussing the grey truck and the black car. For some reason,
I thought that he had driven a truck to meet Beverly and then left and returned in the Black Ford. However, according to the lady across the street,
the only other vehicle at the house was the Ford. I'm not sure how the man
in the news article could mistaken a Ford Fusion for a truck. Unless, Mrs. Butler didn't see the truck because it was parked behind the row of trees that bordered the parking pad. End the end, I guess the Ford Fusion is the only
car that matters.

Oh and now I remember, a good friend of Beverly's that lives on the same
street also described the same truck. It was a Toyota Tacoma. And she never saw the Ford Fusion.

I thought there was mention of the truck being parked tightly between her SUV and the tree. Also, someone thought the agent was a male and moved one of the cars blocking the driveway. Also remember a tall, skinny male with a pointy beard wearing a hat, driving a beat up slate Silverado or Tacoma.

Following is JMO: I think some of the reports we read/heard (guy with pointy beard, etc) was from Facebook, etc. Lots of info flying around in those early days.

You are probably right. I can't remember. Only that it was in the first day or two, and then don't recall hearing it again.

I think that guy in the grey truck got messed up in the story because he was the one they interviewed. He was dressed in camo, pointy beard (I think) and in a pickup. The video of that interview is on here somewhere because I posted it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I think that guy in the grey truck got messed up in the story because he was the one they interviewed. He was dressed in camo, pointy beard (I think) and in a pickup. The video of that interview is on here somewhere because I posted it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Yes I think there was some def some confusion but as they said in testimony, there was a search warrant out for a guy and his and his parents address was searched. Search warrant mentions gray truck and a tan Ford Taurus

Link to the man in the story you posted long ago http://www.news.com.au/world/north-...e/news-story/9943787a88db2d15868f700635e79755

From my post http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...014-13-A-Lewis-GUILTY&p=12295886#post12295886

SO evidently there WERE other vehicles seen at the home :thinking: Witness JoAnn Butler only looked out twice once as she was opening the window shades and again when closing them. So she wasnt sitting there watching out the windows (according to her testimony)

SO... Wonder what if anything those other witnesses who saw another vehicle saw? Did they talk to AL? Darn it Inquiring minds want to know. **Heard no testimony where the alleged gray truck or tan Ford Taurus was allegedly parked or how long. Very possible they were seen earlier in the day. JMHO

In previous discussions we kind of came to the conclusion this man might have seen Carl Sr. pull up in a truck.

Oops. Quoted my own post. Thought I was editing! Ha!

Correct, but now we know that possibility it wasnt.

Oh and there were 3 homes that BC was going to show. Brenda Rhodes said 3, also. CCjr and his wife and newborn went to the Kerr Rd address, which was a new construction. Third would be the one listed in the MPR.

Also the 3 text messages went to BR. (phone died, went out with with friends drink or whatever was and for get the 3rd)
They were in response to texts that BR had sent. She sent BC a text that was code to check on her and BC if it were BC sending texts would have known and replied. CODE Text was "Where is the Red Folder".... JMHO thats when they knew for sure was bad wrong.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back