GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local here. Baptist Hospital is situated near the I-430/I-630 interchange in West Little Rock. That interchange is undergoing extensive construction of several junctions and overpasses, as well as the actual exit to Baptist Hospital. The emergency room is less than 200-400 yards to a dump truck at any given time. And there is remodeling construction at the actual hospital. They don't work on Sundays unless they are doing work that requires road closures, like hanging overpass steel or painting. But by Monday a.m., the truck would be reported as missing. JMO.

That makes complete sense, but I had thought that he had stolen the dump truck from his former employer. If that is just me mixing up facts, then you are spot on, and he wouldn't have to go far to get that truck.

The cement company has more than one location and if I'm not mistaken, he didn't work at the Cabot location where the body was found. As for having the keys to the stolen dump truck, maybe the keys are left at a central location at the work site and he knew that (bc that interchange has been under construction for more than 2 years), and THAT's why he wanted to go to Baptist-LR instead of Baptist Springhill or UAMS which he would have been much closer to. I was having trouble with that part but that's the largest job site in this area so maybe he knew he could get a truck there if he had been stationed at that job site before so he told MEMS (ambulance co.) to take him there. Just guessing though.

The cement company has more than one location and if I'm not mistaken, he didn't work at the Cabot location where the body was found. As for having the keys to the stolen dump truck, maybe the keys are left at a central location at the work site and he knew that (bc that interchange has been under construction for more than 2 years), and THAT's why he wanted to go to Baptist-LR instead of Baptist Springhill or UAMS which he would have been much closer to. I was having trouble with that part but that's the largest job site in this area so maybe he knew he could get a truck there if he had been stationed at that job site before so he told MEMS (ambulance co.) to take him there. Just guessing though.
That's a great guess and I bet you are right!!

So if he was a refferal he wasnt targeting beverly ...

Referral is a pretty generic term in this industry and can come from anywhere....another agent, a relo company, zillow, trulia, a past client of Beverly's, the listing company, etc. I am leaning toward either a past client or the listing company. The listing company is the prime listing company for HUD in the state of AR with few employees. Maybe he called the # and no one was available to show it so they referred him to Beverly since she knew the area.

A large portion of the business is done off of personal referrals...someone she has sold a home to in the past that gave him her name/number. I'm just grasping here.

Regardless, I do think he targeted her because she was a "rich broker". Not all brokers are rich even though the outward appearance may say so. I truly believe he didn't know her but was familiar with her.

Maybe... he wanted to go to Baptist LR locale because that's where CL worked or studied. If it's not an emergency, the ambulance will take you to your requested hospital.

Maybe he took the truck from the construction site near the hospital. I'd lay odds that his former employer was one of the contractors on site. It is actually common to leave keys in vehicles at construction sites. Sounds dumb but that's what they sometimes do. Almost all dump trucks or other heavy equipment are equipped with GPS to prevent theft and aid in recovery.

Maybe he sent a text to TM, (who has been CLEARED) for a ride from the hospital.

I do have a question: someone above mentioned that the car he was driving when he had the accident was not his. Is there a source for this? TIA

In the beginning I thought it was stated the referral came from a male realtor.

ETA: there's a comment at the end of that article that is disturbing...about someone committing suicide. Am I reading too much in to that?

I find that solitary comment at the end a little strange as well.

As for him stealing the truck...many businesses leave the keys in the vehicles.
We leave the key in our delivery truck whenever it is not in use (ours is in a locked yard, though).

Maybe... he wanted to go to Baptist LR locale because that's where CL worked or studied. If it's not an emergency, the ambulance will take you to your requested hospital.

Do we know that he requested to be taken to Baptist in LR? Maybe the ER at NLR Baptist was backed up so they took him to LR? I'm not sure how that whole thing works... just wondering.

Local here. Baptist Hospital is situated near the I-430/I-630 interchange in West Little Rock. That interchange is undergoing extensive construction of several junctions and overpasses, as well as the actual exit to Baptist Hospital. The emergency room is less than 200-400 yards to a dump truck at any given time. And there is remodeling construction at the actual hospital. They don't work on Sundays unless they are doing work that requires road closures, like hanging overpass steel or painting. But by Monday a.m., the truck would be reported as missing. JMO.

What kind of hospital is this? Is it one where the state assisted normally go? I am trying to determine why he chose a hospital so far away....In my area, there is one hospital downtown in the city that most people that are on government assistance or no insurance go to for care. I would assume he had no insurance since he just lost his job but I could be wrong.

Do we know that he requested to be taken to Baptist in LR? Maybe the ER at NLR Baptist was backed up so they took him to LR? I'm not sure how that whole thing works... just wondering.

Yes, this does happen from time to time. It's called a hospital diversion and it is done when an ER is slammed with a bunch of big trauma cases. They send out an alert to the ambulances to pass them by and go to the next closest ER.

What kind of hospital is this? Is it one where the state assisted normally go? I am trying to determine why he chose a hospital so far away....In my area, there is one hospital downtown in the city that most people that are on government assistance or no insurance go to for care. I would assume he had no insurance since he just lost his job but I could be wrong.

It is not a state run hospital. The Baptist conglomerate is a private group of hospitals. If you needed to go to the state run hospital he would've had to go to UAMS hospital in the middle of Little Rock. There is also a hospital in Jacksonville, JRMC. if an ambulance takes you to Baptist Hospital and you do not have insurance, they will stabilize you and then transport you to UAMS. Or, if you're well enough to leave on your own, they will do the bare minimum and discharge you with instructions to go to the state hospital.

MEMS takes you to the patient's hospital of choice unless it is a medical emergency. In that case, they take you to the nearest emergency room. So, either he asked to be taken to Big Baptist in LR (bypassing Baptist NLR Springhill), or the ER at Springhill said they were swamped, take him to Big Baptist (LR). He was not in a life threatening situation. The medics would have evaluated him at the scene and during transport and determined that he needed further tests.

Yes, I think he was actually waiting on the bus. But I wonder if he went into the Subway and was hungry and had no money or if he was thinking about robbing it and chickened out? I would like to know if he took a bus from the hospital over to Argos when he stole the truck. He was getting around quickly that day. It seems unlikely that he would have girls at his beck and call to come and drive him around during the day, esp. with his face busted open.

I also feel he had an accomplice to move Beverly and bury her. And I really hope they get whoever was selling him drugs, too. I believe he was hopped up on something when he wrecked his car.

BBM I know he had injured his face in the car accident however I would assume that the first thing that the nurses would have done when he arrived at the hospital was to clean up his bleeding wounds. I doubt he left the hospital in the same condition he entered. (Meaning I doubt he was walking around with blood all over his face.) Just an observation.

Lewis just wanted a victim, it didn't matter which agent it was, any female would do fine. This was most likely his idea of how to commit the perfect crime and make someone vanish without a trace. He could have found out anytime during their meeting or after he abducted her that she was a Broker. It was most likely printed right on her business card.

Initially, I thought he targeted her.....but after all of the referral information came to light, it appears that it was most likely random.

I still think he dug the shallow grave in advance of the abduction though, that is really the only way it could have happened and still be in the timeline his neighbor described. When he got his truck stuck in the mud earlier that day, and called his neighbor to help pull him out, he wasn't worried about witnesses at that point because no crime had been committed yet.

His neighbor said she saw him washing the mud off his truck later that afternoon, he had a scratched up face, wasn't smiling, and had shaved his head.........all after around 5:30 p.m. when he would have met Beverly. I assume she said "afternoon" because it was still daylight. That is a very, very small window of time for him to have done much other than grab her, speed over to the burial site, cover it up, and drive home. Only Lewis himself would know what the motive was, and I have doubts it was even a sexual motive, there just wasn't enough time involved.

I think this is one of those bizarre crimes where the perp decides to kill somebody simply to see what it feels like. With all of the weight loss his neighbors described, I have no doubt he was speeding at 100 mph on crystal meth and God only knows what else. He is just chock full of self-loathing and rage, and coupled with the drugs, it gave him the imagined courage to try and pull off what he considered to be the perfect crime.

Could he have been heading to the West Little Rock area when he wrecked the car? And he requested to go to Baptist as an alternate means to get there once the car was wrecked? What direction was he headed just prior to the wreck?

Made sense to me to but didn't they say the dump truck keys were on him? I thought I read that. Do they just leave keys in dump trucks so anyone (on shift) doesn't have to waste time finding/passing along keys on a job site?
I also read that the dump truck keys were on him when he was arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whirlebird