Arab-run Firm Buys Company With Major Commercial Operations From 6 Large US Ports

GonzoReiter said:
we've posted CBO charts before to rebut false claims about the deficit, but ... zing! that sort of data flies right over the heads of the hard core Bush Lovers/Clinton Haters.

wish we could get past the group think and debate the issues as many (Lacy, Maral, Cypros, LP, etc. have tried in the past). nice to see new truth troops enter the fray here...
Edited in case I was being rude... It wasn't my intention.

I am the person who started this thread and I happen to had written that I mainly support Bush EXCEPT for this port deal. That's just my opinion. I do not follow one party or another really. I just decide on issues.

The topic of this thread is the Ports deal. I find it to be a serious issue. I would like it to stay on topic if possible, since that is why I started this thread. Am I allowed to ask for this?

PS... this is the news forum, not the political forum. I'm really trying to not have a Republican/Democrat war started here.

PrayersForMaura said:
I about fell out of my chair when I heard how long Bill Clinton has been involved with the United Arab Emerates.

Where have I been? :waitasec:

I swear, something new comes out everyday.

Are we Americans just kept in the dark about everything?

Yes. Much.

Also there's so much information, who has time to decipher it all?

PrayersForMaura said:
Edited in case I was being rude... It wasn't my intention.

I am the person who started this thread and I happen to had written that I mainly support Bush EXCEPT for this port deal. That's just my opinion. I do not follow one party or another really. I just decide on issues.

The topic of this thread is the Ports deal. I find it to be a serious issue. I would like it to stay on topic if possible, since that is why I started this thread. Am I allowed to ask for this?

PS... this is the news forum, not the political forum. I'm really trying to not have a Republican/Democrat war started here.
my bad,...I was responding to this post: Link

pardon the interruption, please continue...

http://snipurl.com/n9m9

WASHINGTON — The U.S. must overhaul the way it reviews foreign acquisitions of companies involving U.S. ports, two key GOP lawmakers said Sunday, calling the Bush administration's handling of the Dubai deal flawed.
--------------------------------
The White House had hoped the investigation would quell a political uproar over the deal. But criticism still rages on Capitol Hill.

Lawmakers plan to continue pressing their concerns, starting today when Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, and Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., make a fresh push for their legislation that's aimed at improving the security of unchecked cargo containers that enter U.S. ports.

Hearings on the port deal also likely will continue this month.

On Sunday, lawmakers said the review process should be overhauled.
---------------------------------
Collins and Hunter, who appeared on ABC's "This Week," said they were introducing bills to revamp the review process.

Hunter, one of the administration's most trusted allies, has been particularly critical of the deal, calling Dubai "a bazaar for terrorist nations." Collins says it's too early to tell under the current review whether Dubai is a terrorist threat.

http://snipurl.com/nco8

WASHINGTON — Efforts by House Republican leaders to hold off legislation challenging a Dubai-owned firm's acquisition of operations at six major U.S. ports collapsed Tuesday when House leaders agreed to allow a vote next week that could kill the deal.
--------------------------------------
A House vote on the measure next week will set up a direct confrontation with President Bush, who has vowed to veto any bill delaying or stopping Dubai Ports World's purchase of London-based Peninsular & Oriental Steamship.
------------------------------------
House Armed Services Committee Chairman Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., with bipartisan support, introduced legislation Tuesday that would scuttle the deal, mandate that the owners of "critical infrastructure" in the United States — from ports to highways to power plants — be American, and demand that all cargo entering U.S. ports be screened within six months of passage.

"This is a question at the heart of the security challenges we will be facing in this next century," Hunter said.

Reader said:
http://snipurl.com/nco8

WASHINGTON — Efforts by House Republican leaders to hold off legislation challenging a Dubai-owned firm's acquisition of operations at six major U.S. ports collapsed Tuesday when House leaders agreed to allow a vote next week that could kill the deal.
--------------------------------------
A House vote on the measure next week will set up a direct confrontation with President Bush, who has vowed to veto any bill delaying or stopping Dubai Ports World's purchase of London-based Peninsular & Oriental Steamship.
------------------------------------
House Armed Services Committee Chairman Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., with bipartisan support, introduced legislation Tuesday that would scuttle the deal, mandate that the owners of "critical infrastructure" in the United States — from ports to highways to power plants — be American, and demand that all cargo entering U.S. ports be screened within six months of passage.

"This is a question at the heart of the security challenges we will be facing in this next century," Hunter said.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

concernedperson said:
Breaking news: Dubai to give up managment of some US ports. No link yet.

Thanks for the info. IMO, not good enough. None - bottom line. Some is still a risk.

Jeana (DP) said:
DP World said it will transfer all interest in U.S. port operations to an American-based company, but it was unclear immediately how DP World would manage the divestiture. The company indicated that details of the surprise deal were still being worked out.

I am happy that the Dubai firm is backing out, but the cynic in me is waiting for the name HALIBURTON to come up (or some other American-based company that is connected with the White House)

It seems so simple - no nation where any poll has the majority or a substantial minority of the population favoring seeing America destroyed, should run any of our major businesses. Even if the company is good, even if the people are good, intentions are good, it's far too easy for that company to hire a ringer who then has way too much access to do us harm. Right now, every poll says that this is true of most of the Middle East.

Amazing that Bush can't see that this is the difference between London and Dubai! Everyone else can, no matter what their political persuasion.

I hope this attention will lead to improvement in port security in general. There is a long way to go. Evidently many of the truckers, workers at ports have criminal records. There was a piece on that a couple nights ago on the evening news.

Cypros said:
I am happy that the Dubai firm is backing out, but the cynic in me is waiting for the name HALIBURTON to come up (or some other American-based company that is connected with the White House)

It came up this morning! I'M NOT KIDDING! I heard it on the morning news show I watch.

Cypros said:
I would not be suprized. This government does every crooked thing it wants too.
By 2008 Haliburton will own this country.

Becba said:
I would not be suprized. This government does every crooked thing it wants too.
By 2008 Haliburton will own this country.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Better for UAE to own it? I guess people will be unhappy no matter what happens.

Jeana (DP) said:
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Better for UAE to own it? I guess people will be unhappy no matter what happens.
It still bothers me that China owns and operates some of our West Coast Ports. We should own and operate our own damned ports. What's wrong with our country?

PrayersForMaura said:
It still bothers me that China owns and operates some of our West Coast Ports. We should own and operate our own damned ports. What's wrong with our country?

I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astoldbybels
Back