ARUBA - Robyn Gardner, 35, Maryland woman missing in Aruba, 2 Aug 2011 - # 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a huge fan of the Island
I hope to spend a great deal more time there
I love the people, I love the island
Its home

But I do not lull myself into thinking that the Island does not have some serious issues

Such as teenage pregnancy and far too many suicides along with drug issues

I do not believe the people are involved in a conspiracy to hide murder on the Island
I think the majority are hard working, honest people
But like everywhere in the world, Aruba has a criminal element
JMO

This strikes me as a very reasonable post. I've never been to Aruba. Never wanted to go. All places have good and bad, but the location and gambling and other things have always left me believing the island has the potential to quietly harbor a huge amount of hidden crime and ugliness.

I totally believe the majority are good, hard working honest people.

This strikes me as a very reasonable post. I've never been to Aruba. Never wanted to go. All places have good and bad, but the location and gambling and other things have always left me believing the island has the potential to quietly harbor a huge amount of hidden crime and ugliness.

I totally believe the majority are good, hard working honest people.

Oh, please do not go because of the gambling. I do not gamble myself, although my husband enjoyed it, I always said I work too hard for my money. The beach is beautiful, the water beautiful and refreshing. The food is out of this world, freshest fish ever. If you want to relax you can, if you want to party, you can. Even if you went for a long weekend it is worth the trip and trips from Newark and NYC are fairly cheap compared to other parts of the US.

To be truthful I never wanted to go to Aruba either. I loved St. Maarten and wanted to return every year but on a dare we went to Aruba for a long weekend. This was the early 80's and I stepped out onto the platform of the stairs, looked at my husband as the wind whisked my hair around my face and said.....I already hate it here. That lasted less than a day and we ended up buying timeshare when we resisted for years at home. lol I've been going ever since, have never missed a year. While my husband has passed I still go with friends and have an enjoyable time and will continue until I just can't make the trip anymore. jmo

Thanks to both of you. So it's just a question of the volume of US travelers to the island? Just seems kind of odd to me. I always thought there was a large volume of travelers from South and Central America, and a fair amount from the US, but I would have thought there would be more US travelers to a number of other Caribbean islands. I was just curious if there might be some other reason they set up in Aruba. Doesn't much matter, I guess.

At any given time, the average is that there are more US tourists on the island than there are Aruban citizens.

I will go along with Aruba being friendly to other countries
It was a nato destination at one time, at least for Canadian military

But I do doubt thats drugs are not an issue

I flew out of Aruba recently. I saw the US Customs dog walking and I suspect "working" in the American section of the airport. I would agree that drugs are a problem in Aruba, but as tourists you don't see it. I assume the dog was a drug dog.

How do you think Robyn would have gotten to SA?
If she left the Island, someone else would have to be involved
There has been nothing to date that convinces me that there are others involved JMO

Well, these people are more than accomplished at flying under the radar. I don't see it as being that difficult to do. It happens everyday all over the world. Not saying that's what happened, just saying..... MOO. :)

I don't know where she is or what happened
But until I read otherwise, for me whatever happened involved two people, Robyn and Gary

That leaves us with A) she was taken off the island alive or B) she was swept out to sea and drowned.

And no way will anyone ever convince me in a lifetime, that GG didn't do it, whatever it is. JMO

Oh, please do not go because of the gambling. I do not gamble myself, although my husband enjoyed it, I always said I work too hard for my money. The beach is beautiful, the water beautiful and refreshing. The food is out of this world, freshest fish ever. If you want to relax you can, if you want to party, you can. Even if you went for a long weekend it is worth the trip and trips from Newark and NYC are fairly cheap compared to other parts of the US.

To be truthful I never wanted to go to Aruba either. I loved St. Maarten and wanted to return every year but on a dare we went to Aruba for a long weekend. This was the early 80's and I stepped out onto the platform of the stairs, looked at my husband as the wind whisked my hair around my face and said.....I already hate it here. That lasted less than a day and we ended up buying timeshare when we resisted for years at home. lol I've been going ever since, have never missed a year. While my husband has passed I still go with friends and have an enjoyable time and will continue until I just can't make the trip anymore. jmo

LambChop, I so much enjoy your posts, and they are slowly changing the way I think I might think about Aruba (does that make sense?). I've more than once wanted to say, I'm sorry about your husband's passing, and I'm glad you are still able to enjoy such a beautiful island on your own. Your knowledge and insights, and those of Dushi and others, are of great value in these discussions. Thank you for all that, and for your explanations and thoughtfulness.

Angelfish...we've enjoyed discussing dogs here before. No one loves dogs more than me (don't get me started). Not long after 9/11, I was down at the Staten Island Ferry terminal, on my way to visit Mandolin Brothers (I play various instruments). There was a NYC police officer there with a beautiful black lab. I spoke to him for a bit, and learned that the dog was a bomb sniffing dog. I was allowed, with some reservations, to pet the dog and speak to him. I thanked him for his hard and caring work. I'm absolutely certain he understood me. I snapped a pic, which sadly I've lost (it was ten years ago).

Sometimes, I get depressed reading this forum. Other times, I'm inspired and optimistic. I'm on the fence at the moment, but appreciate your posts.

EH! Does the headline "Casey Anthony NOT GUILTY" ring a bell???

Whatever you think about JB personally or ethically--Gotta give the guy props for the work he does for his clients.

Sorry, I can't go there. I can't give that man credit for fabricating a twisted fairy tale of lies while incriminating innocent people in the process, just to win a case.

Sorry to offend anyone, it's just my opinion.

I don't see how we can compare crime in the US to crime statistics in Aruba given the difference in size
Maybe I am reading your posts wrong
Earlier you said it wasn't a problem ?

I guess I am reading it wrong, I do apologize

Crime statistics are per capita, not by size.

MOO

Well, these people are more than accomplished at flying under the radar. I don't see it as being that difficult to do. It happens everyday all over the world. Not saying that's what happened, just saying..... MOO. :)

Not sure who you mean by these people

Crime statistics are per capita, not by size.

MOO

True, but still can't make a general comparison to crime in US because there's so many variables. You'd have to take every small town with under 100K people in the US to compare. I live in an area somewhat comparable to Aruba adding in the neighboring town, and we or the neighboring town haven't had any armed robberies, shootings or murders in the over 15 years that I've been here, would I use that to say Aruba is more dangerous than the US? Of course not.

Also have to take into account whether crime in tourist dependant places goes underreported.

I don't even understand the need to compare crime in Aruba to here or anywhere else. The topic isn't the US. No one ever denies that we have crime in the US or that it doesn't exist anywhere else. People get outraged over injustices here too. LE, politicians and govt officials get criticized all the time, people know the difference between LE and govt being criticized and the good hard working average citizen.

Like I posted earlier that was a common tactic in the NH case,
then it was used to try to shut down any criticism of LE or the Aruban govt.
I'm not saying that's what's being done here. I can appreciate and respect LambChop's love for Aruba. Just saying there is crime, some serious crime in Aruba.

JMHO

I flew out of Aruba recently. I saw the US Customs dog walking and I suspect "working" in the American section of the airport. I would agree that drugs are a problem in Aruba, but as tourists you don't see it. I assume the dog was a drug dog.

Yes, I have seen them, too. And they wouldn't be there if there was some problems. I'm talking about huge amounts of drugs going out of the country. When you have Columbia next door to you why would smugglers need to run them through Aruba and chance getting caught when their ships can bypass the island and head north. I still feel it is a safe island.

This case is about an American who is suspected of causing the death of another American and not about the Aruban people. There is just too much pointing at GG as not being a very honest person to believe this was a simple accident. I hope Aruba releases him and sends him home because his penalty would be harsher in the US. jmo

Not sure who you mean by these people

"These people" are the ones described in the same post, immediately preceding this sentence. They are sick folks, many of them sociopaths, who abduct and hold victims against their will, among other perversions. "They" often wear the mask of normalcy and move among "us" undetected as the sick folks they are.

"Us" is a generalization of folks who are NOT criminal or sociopathic. I use OR because not all sociopaths have committed crimes....yet. It is, I believe, a major reason the mask is so effective in victimizing "us". We often know when a person just "isn't right", but those close to "them" tend to say "oh, they would never HURT anyone." Just look at the histories of the numerous cases. Few ever thought that "odd duck" capable of what they did. Therefore "they" were FLYING UNDER RADAR, undetected.

I think it is before a Judge - but GG's attorney has asked for a "special" hearing... I guess GG doesn't want to wait until the end of this month. :waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member