Australia AUS - Prabhdeep Srawn, 25, Mt Kosciuszko NP NSW, 13 May 2013, Media, Maps & Timeline *NO DISCUSSION*

Main Stream Media

11th March 2014
Cooma-Monaro Express News. Read More...
Search resumes for missing bushwalker
"Now that all the snow drifts have completely melted, we will be conducting a further ground search in the week commencing 17 March," Superintendent Smith said.
-----
"We are determined to finish this search and we remain hopeful of being able to bring some news to the Srawn family.
"In saying that, we are also observant of the reality of possibly never finding Mr Srawn. It won't be without our best effort though."
-----
"We will be focusing around the Mount Townsend and lakes areas," he said.
-----

Main Stream Media

16th March 2014
GOLD COAST BULLETIN MARCH 15, 2014. Read More...
Nearly a year after his disappearance, the family of missing bushwalker Prabhdeep Srawn are not yet ready to give up on finding him aliveSpeaking to the Bulletin from Toronto, Canada yesterday Mr Srawn’s cousin Ruby Singh said the Canadian Army reservist’s family would never stop searching.
“It’s difficult being out there just waiting for news and not getting anything.
“You kind of have to put everything on hold and it’s been extremely expensive.”
-----
Ms Singh said the family have been told New South Wales police will conduct a final ground search later this month now that the snow has cleared, but insisted the family would continue their private search efforts.

“I don’t know if the final search effort means they (police) will stop looking after that, that’s just how they worded it,” she said.
“We have hired a search manager, Martin Colwell, who is trying to pull together an operation, we have more volunteer searchers going out and the family will probably head back as well.
“The hardest part for us is keeping people interested in helping and finding qualified people who can go into those areas a year later.”
----------

184316-d61b1b2a-ab0b-11e3-ab7e-62784a1540a7.jpg

Main Stream Media

17th May 2014

Digital Fairfax Media Presentation. View and Read More:
What happened to Prabhdeep Srawn.
The missing persons sign that hung for nearly a year in the window of the emergency shelter has been taken down and police have also stopped handing out flyers to bushwalkers and skiers as they enter the national park in the desperate hope than one of them, somewhere, may stumble upon an overlooked clue to one of the biggest mysteries ever played out in the high country.
-----
In his upstairs office at the imposing concrete bunker of Queanbeyan Police Station, Superintendent Rod Smith is collating a file on the search for Prabhdeep Srawn. Having spent months poring over the evidence, false leads, and reems of data from the multiple state and federal agencies involved in the search, the file will soon be handed to the NSW Coroner, even though no body or any of Srawn’s possessions have been found beyond the camper.
-----

Report by SCOTT HANNAFORD and TOM MCILROY.

Main Stream Media

22nd May 2014

Canberra Times. Read More:

Calls for new search for Canadian hiker Prabhdeep Srawn lost in Snowy Mountains
A Snowy Hydro worker involved in the 2013 search for a hiker missing in Kosciuszko National Park believes authorities may have skimmed over key pieces of evidence that point to a specific area where the man may have gone off course.
On May 22 last year, two of Mr Mulligan's colleagues were clearing access tracks around the Lady Northcotes Canyon area, when they reported over the radio they had heard a voice calling out from The Sentinel, a steep peak above.
-----
"There were so many coincidences that day, we thought for sure he was going to walk out of the scrub any minute and we'd be loading him into the back of the car."
-----
"It all points to the face of Sentinel, and if they did it properly - get a heap of people and sweep down that face two meters apart - then you'd be able to know for sure, but I don't think they'll find him unless they take another look at Sentinel," Mr Mulligan said.
-----

1400977900366.jpg-620x349.jpg

Back country skier Andrew Barnes looks out towards The Sentinel. Photo: Scott Hannaford

1400977900792.jpg-620x349.jpg

Supplied photos of a rescue helicopter landing near the Siren Song Tunnel, Kosciuszko, to investigate reports
of voices being heard in the May 2013 search for missing hiker Prabhdeep Srawn. Photo: Terry Mulligan

Main Stream Media

6th June 2014

By: Ricky French - Special to the Star
How did a Brampton hiker just vanish in the Australian bush?
Prabh Srawn wasn’t the only person leaving Charlotte Pass for a late autumn hike on May 14, 2013. Four friends, led by Tom Batty, set out to complete the same loop that Srawn was intending to do, just a couple of hours after the Canadian. As well as taking proper clothing and provisions, they took a video camera.

From the footage the full extent of the blizzard is revealed. The men start walking in fine conditions, but by the early afternoon snow is driving into their faces, and a freezing wind is whipping up the valley. Sticking to the Main Range Track, the party takes shelter in Seaman’s Hut, the lone refuge on the tops, and waits out the storm until the next day. They saw no sign of Srawn. How close they came to him we may never know.
-----
An early clue during the initial search last winter seemed to confirm this. A plastic water bottle was found on a track called Hannels Spur, a tough, overgrown route through the Western Fall, which Jarvis describes as the worst track in Australia. It connects the Main Range with the Geehi Flats — a popular campground — in a valley to the west.
Finding the water bottle appeared to be a huge breakthrough. The bottle was from an underwater diving company called Pro Dive Cairns. A quick check revealed that Srawn had been diving in the popular North Queensland resort town of Cairns the previous December. Hopes soared that this would lead searchers to Srawn, possibly still alive in the bush.
It didn’t. Further investigation revealed it wasn’t the same diving company Srawn had used.

1402069948368.jpg.size.xxxlarge.promo.jpg

Dave Jarvis atop Mount Townsend.

:bump:
Still thinking of Prabh and his family.

Never stop searching!

Missing Canadian bushwalker Prabhdeep Srawn declared dead by NSW coroner
"The New South Wales Coroner's Court has declared Canadian bushwalker Prabhdeep Srawn dead, two years after he went missing in the Snowy Mountains.

The coronial inquest classified Mr Srawn's death as misadventure, given he was inadequately prepared to face the harsh weather conditions in the Snowy Mountains"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-...lared-canadian-bushwalker-prabhdeep-s/6574988

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-...ng-yell-in-missing-bushwalker-inquest/6502184

Park rangers heard a yell during search for missing Canadian bushwalker Prabhdeep Srawn
By Jordan Hayne
Updated 28 May 2015, 6:19pm

Two park rangers have told an inquest into the 2013 disappearance of a Canadian hiker that they heard a yell during the search for the man in the Snowy Mountains.
-----
On Wednesday, Parks and Wildlife ranger Jack Bulger told the New South Wales Coroner's Court he heard a yell while was repairing a hut in the area eight days into the search.
"It was a funny sound, I'd never heard it before," he said.
"It was sort of like a half yell. You couldn't make any words or anything out of it."
Fellow ranger Mark Mitchell also heard the sound from the Opera House Hut.
"It sounded like a human, not an animal sound," Mr Mitchell said.
"It wasn't audible sounds like, 'Please help me'."
-----
Former outdoor instructor Tom Batty was on the same trail just a few hours behind Mr Srawn.

Mr Batty told the court that the day started fine, but by lunchtime fierce winds and heavy snow descended on the trail, reducing visibility to just a few metres.
"It made it significantly difficult to stay on track and to continue navigating," Mr Batty said.
He told the court at one point he and his friends saw footprints in the snow.

-----

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-...lared-canadian-bushwalker-prabhdeep-s/6574988

Missing Canadian bushwalker Prabhdeep Srawn declared dead by NSW coroner
The findings also rejected suggestions that Mr Srawn may have intended to harm himself, saying all available evidence suggested he was happy with life and had made plans for his future.
-----
His family chose not to travel from Canada to attend the inquest, and appeared to indicate he could still be alive, sending a statement that ended with the words "miracles do happen".

Yes, miracles Do happen.
...and...
although the Coroners Findings were given, I still hope that one day more facts come to light on what happened to Prabh.

1st May 2017

Family ties: How Toronto FC and my family became intertwined
Waking the Red writer Tej Sahota shares the deeper meaning his Reds fandom has come to take.

https://www.wakingthered.com/toront...-how-toronto-fc-family-became-intertwined-mls

I won’t delve too far into the circumstances around us leaving Cleveland, but a lot of it can be read here. Unfortuantely, some of you may have already been aware of this story.

Prabh Srawn, an aspiring law student and a member of the Canadian Armed Forces, was the first cousin of my wife. After his disappearance, it just felt too lonely to live hundreds of miles away from our family and friends, and so back home we came.
Prabh’s sister, Mandeep Srawn, who is mentioned in the above article, was as close to her younger brother as any sister ever has been or will be in the history of mankind. For months, not only did she organize search parties and spearhead all rescue missions, but she physically went and searched for him on Australia’s largest mountain. I mean full-on missions through some of the most dangerous and unforgiving terrain that anyone has ever seen. Men double her size were humbled, but her spirit was strong.

When she finally returned, after several months, back to Canada, gone was the smiling, giggling young girl who was the life of any room she walked into. Instead, she was callused by heartbreak and tragedy. The burden had become too much to bear. Mandeep and I were very close, but after something like this happens a lot changes - things get fractured. While we used to talk on a weekly basis for years, after she returned from Australia it was months before we had any real conversation with each other. It started off as a casual call and I didn’t know what to say, what words would have any healing effect, what to ask or to do, so I resorted to the first thing that came to mind. Quickly, I blurted out:

“Hey Mandeep... would you wanna come to a TFC game with me?”

Understandably, Mandeep had kept a low and quiet profile in the months since she had come back. Going out really wasn’t her thing any more. She remained detached and distant, so I was fully prepared for her to say “thanks, but no thanks”... but to my surprise, she gave me a “sure, why not”.

I picked her up that day from work and as we drove quietly down to BMO, I had knots in my stomach. Was this a good idea? This isn’t a Raptors game at the ACC with the volume turned to 11. It’s a Wednesday game at BMO Field. I feared the silence would be deafening.

Sharing a minimal amount of words in the car ride down, things changed the minute we got to the stadium. Excitement. Mandeep began to recount her days of playing rep soccer in Hamilton and her admiration for the Brazilian legend Marta. I sensed something that I hadn’t seen on that face for months on end. Joy. Relief. A smile. We watched Defoe score, we watched Bradley dominate, and I watched Mandeep yell up and down, and scream and cheer and be engaged. For 90+ minutes, we had some laughs and smiles, which were previously missing for 90+ days. I remember thinking to myself on the ride home “damn TFC, THANK YOU!” It was a much-needed night, and it was just perfect in every way. Over the past few years, Mandeep has married and has a beautiful young child of her own, but we still get to one game a season together. And I look forward to it so much. Those nights mean something.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back