Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #5 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

A bit misleading as EP says that she ate the meal too.

If so she is also a survivor.

Good point. Seems that this media source has her tried and convicted already. At this rate, EP will have grounds to claim no fair trial is possible surely?

ETA: god willing, Ian will pull through this and be able to share his experience and story so that the truth may be established.

Good point. Seems that this media source has her tried and convicted already. At this rate, EP will have grounds to claim no fair trial is possible surely?

ETA: god willing, Ian will pull through this and be able to share his experience and story so that the truth may be established.
Wow! That’s such an interesting article. I actually can’t believe the hospital attempted to serve him a mushroom dish!

I wouldn’t have been particularly happy about that if I were his relative either.

So wow, the DM article said that Pastor Ian did NOT receive a liver transplant - what an absolute miracle that he survived! Wonderful work by DMA Melbourne correspondent Wayne Flower, he always has such fabulous insights into the case!

Wow! That’s such an interesting article. I actually can’t believe the hospital attempted to serve him a mushroom dish!

If he is eating solid foods, would that mean he's able to talk.

Note, the article doesn't actually say that he was served the dish.

Daily Mail Australia has been told Mr Wilkinson endured a recent scare in hospital when staff dished-up a mushroom fettuccine to patients around him.

So it sounds to me like others on his ward got the dish, but not him. It's unclear if he's actually eating solid foods or not.

I suspect this is the Daily Mail trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Well at least we know the hospital continues to have confidence in the mushroom industry. :rolleyes:

What I found interesting is the comment about Austin hospital being the place to go to treat poisonings. From the link:

Daily Mail Australia revealed last month Mr Wilkinson only likely survived because he was rushed to a hospital known for its expertise in treating patients suffering from poisonings.

'The Austin was not the natural hospital to go to. From Leongatha the closest hospital is Monash Medical Centre - that's where they normally go. They've basically gone to the hospital the farthest away they could,' the source said.

'The main intensive care unit, and you need the best, you go to The Alfred or Royal Melbourne. They haven't done that either. The state's poison centre is at the Austin, so that's why he's gone there. That says they're more interested in dealing with the mushrooms than the intensive care part of it.'

'The Austin was not the natural hospital to go to. From Leongatha the closest hospital is Monash Medical Centre - that's where they normally go. They've basically gone to the hospital the farthest away they could,' the source said.

'The main intensive care unit, and you need the best, you go to The Alfred or Royal Melbourne. They haven't done that either. The state's poison centre is at the Austin, so that's why he's gone there. That says they're more interested in dealing with the mushrooms than the intensive care part of it.'
RSBM

And it's been mentioned before, but it bears repeating...Erin was sent by ambulance to Monash when she reported she felt ill, not to the poison center or the other hospitals with the best ICUs.

Note, the article doesn't actually say that he was served the dish.

Daily Mail Australia has been told Mr Wilkinson endured a recent scare in hospital when staff dished-up a mushroom fettuccine to patients around him.

So it sounds to me like others on his ward got the dish, but not him. It's unclear if he's actually eating solid foods or not.

I suspect this is the Daily Mail trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Yeah 'patients around him' could mean patients on the same floor or even somewhere within the same hospital, going by newspaper standards. It doesn't make any mention at all of him being served a meal and describes his condition as 'still incapacitated', that suggests to me that he probably isn't eating food normally or even speaking. Unless it's been mentioned elsewhere and I've missed it

I totally understand the family and loved ones being upset, even though those mushrooms will have been safe, it's somewhat insensitive. But like you said, newspapers and sensationalism. I don't know what goes into running a hospital and the logistics of catering etc, the hospital might already be doing what they can to be as thoughtful as possible, who knows.

Hopeful he's making healthy progress! :)

MOO

It doesn't make any mention at all of him being served a meal and describes his condition as 'still incapacitated', that suggests to me that he probably isn't eating food normally or even speaking. Unless it's been mentioned elsewhere and I've missed it
Great points. If he can’t speak: Maybe he can move his finger across a message board?

There must be some communication strategies in place for him, right?!

I still am in shock what he survived without a liver transplant. Absolutely incredible, what a tale of survival!

I would be concerned for myself if guests became unwell after they'd eaten at my place.

And as they became really unwell, I would likely start to feel very unwell from the panic and the fear for her relatives lives and the terror that it might happen to me too.

View attachment 448830

Good news!

Now he has to adjust to the loss of his wife (and SIL & BIL). :confused:

The Herald Sun says that a statement was issued today, from the Wilkinson family, saying that Ian was discharged (after being in the hospital for almost 2 months).

They thanked the Leongatha, Dandenong, and Austin hospital staff for their unwavering dedication and exceptional care - saying that played a pivotal role in Ian's recovery. And their expertise and compassion provided hope and comfort.

They also thanked all of those people who offered prayers, support, and well wishes.

I note that Mr Wilkinson has been discharged from hospital. I'm relieved for him, but I feel sad for his losses. I know he'll have a supportive community to help him. He is very lucky to be alive.
I wonder what this means for the investigation, if he's in the right state to communicate to LE about anything he remembers from that day.
Mostly glad he's discharged!

The Australian Mushroom Festival is set for its debut at Melbourne’s Queen Victoria Markets on October 14 and 15.

“Mushrooms are caught up in the wrong crowd at the moment.”

It’s expected that guest speakers at the event will discuss the lethal Leongatha lunch and its impact on growers and the industry.

Ms Beattie has reassured consumers that it is “actually impossible” for death cap mushrooms to wind up in Australia’s button mushroom supply chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay