Australia - 7 dead in mass shooting and suicide - Osmington WA - 11 May 2018

It is absolutely horrible that he did this to his sons, as well as his now-deceased family, and his entire community.

This is a horror story that the sons will now have to live with every day of their lives.

Is the son with the kidney problems the sole survivor?

If he is how will he cope with the funding of the funerals, the selling of the goods and chattels and the sale of the ‘murder property’? I say that because the property will be difficult to sell, in fact it sounds Peter was worried the bank was moving on the property.
That poor man as sick as he is, I doubt he’ll be able to run the ‘farm’ and what a big job ahead of him.
I wonder if he’ll survive this most selfish callous act.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

]Is the son with the kidney problems the sole survivor?
[/B]
If he is how will he cope with the funding of the funerals, the selling of the goods and chattels and the sale of the ‘murder property’? I say that because the property will be difficult to sell, in fact it sounds Peter was worried the bank was moving on the property.
That poor man as sick as he is, I doubt he’ll be able to run the ‘farm’ and what a big job ahead of him.
I wonder if he’ll survive this most selfish callous act.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, there is another son, who lived in a caravan at the property but who was away that night.

Classical musician raises money for suicide prevention after Margaret River shooting
Australian cellist Anthony Albrecht said the news of the deaths compelled him to support a community close to his heart.

"My connection to Margaret River is fairly long term," he said.
"To lose someone like that, it's just devastating."

Augusta-Margaret River Shire President Pamela Townshend said the tragedy had left the community in shock.
"It really hits hard, because everybody has links with that family in one way or another, so it will have a ripple effect right through our community," she said.

The victims Katrina Miles, her four children and her mother, Cynda Miles were a well-known family in the community.

Former local councillor and nearby neighbour Felicity Haynes said they were caring and lovely people.
"They were a very socially-aware family, doing their best to create a safe community, and that is why it is so shocking to think that could be destroyed so quickly," she said.

Mr Albrecht is performing in Margaret River on Sunday, May 27 at 3:00pm at St Margaret's Anglican Church.

Musician raises money for suicide prevention following Margaret River shooting

I'm a bit late to the newer posts, but all the discussion about the meds Peter Miles was taking reminded me of a conversation I had a while back that may or may not be helpful here.
I was asking my brother, who is a psycologist, how to help a friend who was confiding some dark stuff to me. I ended up having to cut ties with her for my own health and sanity, unfortunately, but how she explained her worsening suicidal thoughts when taking antidepressants offers a lot of insight, to me anyways. And my brother confirming it as a common occurrence kind of made it make sense (as much as it can).

My friend had a nearly lifelong history of severe depression and suicidal ideation, and had been institutionalised on two occasions for recurrent suicide attempts. She was high functioning, maintained a job and acted totally normal, aside from the fact that once her meds started to work she suddenly had the energy and mental clarity to plan and carry out suucide.
So the medications were doing what they are designed to do- restore clarity of thought and the ability to be functional and carry out plans and activities. Usually this allows people to carry on with life and meet normal goals, etc. But in some instances it just applies that functionality to the suicidal thoughts they had previously been unable to follow through with.
Not sure if that made any coherent sense, I'm really tired... But it reminded me of when AC had said that he "believed Peter had been planning this for a long time." That might actually have been the case and the antidepressants worked in such a way he was able to carry out that plan.

I'm a bit late to the newer posts, but all the discussion about the meds Peter Miles was taking reminded me of a conversation I had a while back that may or may not be helpful here.
I was asking my brother, who is a psycologist, how to help a friend who was confiding some dark stuff to me. I ended up having to cut ties with her for my own health and sanity, unfortunately, but how she explained her worsening suicidal thoughts when taking antidepressants offers a lot of insight, to me anyways. And my brother confirming it as a common occurrence kind of made it make sense (as much as it can).

My friend had a nearly lifelong history of severe depression and suicidal ideation, and had been institutionalised on two occasions for recurrent suicide attempts. She was high functioning, maintained a job and acted totally normal, aside from the fact that once her meds started to work she suddenly had the energy and mental clarity to plan and carry out suucide.
So the medications were doing what they are designed to do- restore clarity of thought and the ability to be functional and carry out plans and activities. Usually this allows people to carry on with life and meet normal goals, etc. But in some instances it just applies that functionality to the suicidal thoughts they had previously been unable to follow through with.
Not sure if that made any coherent sense, I'm really tired... But it reminded me of when AC had said that he "believed Peter had been planning this for a long time." That might actually have been the case and the antidepressants worked in such a way he was able to carry out that plan.

Where that may happen to some people, it is not the norm. Your friend had a death wish, that went way beyond depression.
Did your friend commit suicide?

Nope, she's still alive somehow. Last I heard she was still suicidal sometimes and unhappy her gun was confiscated after brandishing it at her ex husband. It' definitely not the norm, more than I could deal with... her brother is a good friend and gives updates, but she's also very controlling, manipulative, but appears normal -even successful and pleasant- to those who know her superficially. But definitely has a death wsh and I would not be surprised if she eventually takes someone down with her. Reminds me of PM in the area of seeing people as things, making everything about them while somehow maintaining the facade of normality.

Nope, she's still alive somehow. Last I heard she was still suicidal sometimes and unhappy her gun was confiscated after brandishing it at her ex husband. It' definitely not the norm, more than I could deal with... her brother is a good friend and gives updates, but she's also very controlling, manipulative, but appears normal -even successful and pleasant- to those who know her superficially. But definitely has a death wsh and I would not be surprised if she eventually takes someone down with her. Reminds me of PM in the area of seeing people as things, making everything about them while somehow maintaining the facade of normality.
If she has made numerous suicide attempts and has not completed suicide, it kind of makes you think that she uses her suicide attempts to manipulate people, more than a real desire to kill herself. My opinion only.

The issue with SSRIs is they alter the chemicals in the brain.
The drugs must be ramped up in dosage and ramped down in dosage.
When a patient stops taking those meds, that is not ramped down.
It sends the patient crazy, depending on a range of variables, not excluding the strength of dosage.

Katrina MILES's Obituary on The West Australian

Katrina MILES

Funeral notice

MILES:
A Funeral Service for Katrina Miles and her children Taye, Rylan, Arye and Kadyn Cockman of Osmington will take place in the Crematorium Chapel, Belcher Street, Bunbury at 10.00am on WEDNESDAY morning (30.5.2018).

A Funeral Service for Peter and Cynda Miles of Osmington, Katrina, Taye, Rylan, Arye and Kadyn will take place in the Crematorium Chapel, Belcher Street, Bunbury at 1.00pm on WEDNESDAY (30.5.2018).

Katrina MILES's Obituary on The West Australian

Katrina MILES

Funeral notice

MILES:
A Funeral Service for Katrina Miles and her children Taye, Rylan, Arye and Kadyn Cockman of Osmington will take place in the Crematorium Chapel, Belcher Street, Bunbury at 10.00am on WEDNESDAY morning (30.5.2018).

A Funeral Service for Peter and Cynda Miles of Osmington, Katrina, Taye, Rylan, Arye and Kadyn will take place in the Crematorium Chapel, Belcher Street, Bunbury at 1.00pm on WEDNESDAY (30.5.2018).

Heartbreaking.

:(

You make perfect sense & a very important point I have been wishing to make....but you have expressed it most eloquently.

I worked as a family doctor for many years & have had to prescribe antidepressants many times. Health professionals are well aware that any antidressants can increase the risk of suicide, in the early stages of therapy.

The medication can transforms a suicidal APATHETIC patient into a suicidal patient who suddenly has the motivation ( they have lacked previously) to make a serious suicide attempt.

You make perfect sense & a very important point I have been wishing to make....but you have expressed it most eloquently.

I worked as a family doctor for many years & have had to prescribe antidepressants many times. Health professionals are well aware that any antidressants can increase the risk of suicide, in the early stages of therapy.

The medication can transforms a suicidal APATHETIC patient into a suicidal patient who suddenly has the motivation ( they have lacked previously) to make a serious suicide attempt.

Unfortunately, it doesn't explain the motivation to take 6 members of his family with him.

That would be an entirely different motivation. imo

Controlling, chauvanistic, selfish, filled with his own self-importance, not wanting them to live or be happy without him, whatever.

He had every right to take his own life, that is not the issue here. He had no right to commit mass murder.

Unfortunately, it doesn't explain the motivation to take 6 members of his family with him.

That would be an entirely different motivation. imo

Controlling, chauvanistic, selfish, filled with his own self-importance, not wanting them to live or be happy without him, whatever.

He had every right to take his own life, that is not the issue here. He had no right to commit mass murder.
Totally agree.

The issue with SSRIs is they alter the chemicals in the brain.
The drugs must be ramped up in dosage and ramped down in dosage.
When a patient stops taking those meds, that is not ramped down.
It sends the patient crazy, depending on a range of variables, not excluding the strength of dosage.
I've had that experience. At least once when I ran out of medicine, and another time when I decided to take myself off a different antidepressant. I would not have been competent to shoot people, even if I'd had the urge. I doubt I could have loaded a gun.

I've had that experience. At least once when I ran out of medicine, and another time when I decided to take myself off a different antidepressant. I would not have been competent to shoot people, even if I'd had the urge. I doubt I could have loaded a gun.
But even if you felt suicidal, did you want to take other people with you? Even if you could load the gun, to kill yourself? Did it ever occur to you to kill other people?

But even if you felt suicidal, did you want to take other people with you? Even if you could load the gun, to kill yourself? Did it ever occur to you to kill other people?
I don't even remember feeling suicidal as such at those times but I did have the urge to throw myself over the balcony. No, I wasn't in a place where I could form intentions about or really care about other people. I was in physical torment.

I don't even remember feeling suicidal as such at those times but I did have the urge to throw myself over the balcony. No, I wasn't in a place where I could form intentions about or really care about other people. I was in physical torment.
You, at that time was just in terrible pain, but you did not have the malice to kill other people. You are an ok person.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back