Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, 43, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of their cars were at their home when the police arrived on Friday AM, and they were taken out by the police on Saturday AM for testing. The police have 24*7 onsite presence at their house (since this began), so he cannot have had an accident in her car.
I have been told the car he crashed was a 'friends'.

Was the car accident a suicide attempt perhaps? Hope this is resolved quickly.

Was the car accident a suicide attempt perhaps? Hope this is resolved quickly.

From what I've seen, he crashed at a relatively low speed into a bus stop at a shopping centre carpark. So I don't think it was a suicide attempt. Maybe drug or alcohol related? IMO.

Local shopkeeper says Gerard has been arrested but not yet seeing anything in media to support this.

Anyone have any updates? I'm interstate now and local news is a bit behind with the reporting ..

Gone quiet for the night, no doubt there will be more new in the AM. Just can't help thinking that the signal from her iPhone is probably nowhere near where she really is. More like a red herring to throw the everyone off the real whereabouts. Do we really know she left for a walk at 10pm Thursday with her phone - did she even have her phone, the 'abductor' could have tossed her phone. And tell me this....who lets their wife go walking at 10pm at night?

Gone quiet for the night, no doubt there will be more new in the AM. Just can't help thinking that the signal from her iPhone is probably nowhere near where she really is. More like a red herring to throw the everyone off the real whereabouts. Do we really know she left for a walk at 10pm Thursday with her phone - did she even have her phone, the 'abductor' could have tossed her phone. And tell me this....who lets their wife go walking at 10pm at night?

Exactly and this area is very dark at night there are virtually no street lights at all. Just great open areas that are very dark.

I had an alternative maybe by chance she did leave the house and was hit by a car. Then they got rid of her but that is too much of a coincidence.

As far as I know Gerard the husband is the only one who reported she went on the walk. So yes, we dont know for sure f she really did.

I find it odd that he has said she went out on Thursday night and he didnt report anything until the morning. That seems very strange to me and there hasn't been any reason given as to why he would wait all night. Wouldnt he be worried sick?

I also wonder why he didnt particpate in the search? If he was devastated at her being missing and desperately wanting to find her, surely he would have been out there searching, combing the fields, not getting any sleep until he found her. But then she isnt his adored wife is she? He had been having an affair for 2 years.

I wonder what the forensics will show of the cars which they have impounded. They could be looking for evidence of the cars being driven in the night, or having transported a body.

I believe the police are trying to build a case against him and just not revealing it. The search is justified as it is for her body.

If she turns up alive and well I'll be shocked. (although pleased)

They searched the land around my work today(I work in Brookfield as well). I will be very surprised also if she is found alive.

I understand the affair was common knowledge prior to thurs night.

I live very near the missing lady's house too, so would just like to point out that living in the area doesn't make me an expert, and local gossip in Brisbane's 'leafy western suburbs' is one of its biggest problems. People take an inch and create a mile. I can guarantee the husband would not be the only local to be carrying on a 'common knowledge' affair ... and this couple would not be the only ones who argue regularly - the place is a pit of fakery and snootiness, and everyone is so nosey he'd have to have a network of tunnels to escape the Flying Monkeys of Brookfield. The disadvantage Gerard Baden-Clay has is his high(ish) profile, being an aspiring business person and social climber in the local community - he's never been under the radar of the locals.

Anyone quoting the 'story changing' through this last 8 days needs to remember most people are basing their knowledge on reporting from news.com.au and The Courier Mail, widely known to be sources of some of the most inaccurate and shoddy reporting on the planet. If you read any of the news.com.au articles almost every one contains an inaccuracy, from "Allison Baden Clay's sister-in-law talks about her sister" to the recent "Gerard Baden-Clay collects clothes at 4 pm and arrives at his parents and 4.55 am." They are just poor quality on detail and editing, and you can be sure their ability to transcribe facts given by the police is equally poor.

And, before people jump on a barking dog and an affair as proof / motive, bear in mind their house has no immediate neighbours - it adjoins a church and a childcare centre, both of which were empty on the night she disappeared. The area is full of wildlife and a distant neighbour's dog barking is a ridiculous thing to be so widely reported - there's even a picture of the dog in the paper, which shows how short of anything useful the newspaper is. As mentioned, the husband would be one of a number of locals engaged in affairs, if this is proven, and none of them have previously done anything to their wives (except give them money and sports cars to keep them quiet).

Some of the posts here suggest he was since driving an impounded car and destroying possible evidence - really people should check their facts before posting on here as a witchhunt, the couple's kids might get to read this one day and you would hope people would stick to facts, show some sensitivity and keep gossip and personal dislike for the guy's mannerisms out of it.

Obviously the police have chosen the prime suspect in the case. The circumstantial evidence, unusual covering story and following events, scratches on the husband, and some of the investigations of the couple's relationship all look bad for him. Judging by questions asked by the police, both locally and in the media, I don't think anyone honestly believes the lady left on a voluntary night walk at 10pm. Given how poorly things have played out for the husband, if he's been involved in her going missing, it was clearly not premeditated; he's probably made some ill-informed and totally stupid decision under pressure, presumably after an argument has escalated, and now has to live with the consequences. If she was being adequately treated for depression, it's extremely unlikely she would voluntarily leave the 3 children she loved.

Out of the entire sad case all I hope is that poor lady's 3 little girls get to see her again, and that justice is served. I agree this is likely to be solved soon - it doesn't matter that this area is bushy and rugged in a lot of areas - there is only so many places she can be, before she's discovered, particularly if she was moved in late night/early morning in what must have been a relatively tight timeframe.

I'd encourage everyone to look for the facts underlying the poorly-researched drivel online, and spare a thought for the kids. In an ideal world this is all a big media beat up and terrible mistake and she'll be found alive. Sadly for the rest of her family, that's probably not going to be the case.

Very true but they do have houses that are within 200 metres of them and at night in the still air voices do carry. We live about 300 metres from our neighbours and at night we can hear them outside at night on their deck. As I'm sure our neighbours can hear us.

keyboredom - I think we would all love to have the facts and yes that would stop the speculation dead. Websleuths is a place for exchanging thoughts, facts and opinions and that is what is going on here - working with what is available. All media are guilty of enlarging the story to increase the readability and tension. The posters here know only to well that 'changing stories' is a red flag in any police investigation especially with the timeframe of events.To the posters credit they have been trying to correct the deficiencies and perhaps as on many of the cases here they will even develop a 'known only facts only thread'.

I am sure the will be police asking the community for their contact with the family and history, experience and dealings with the family - its all part and parcel of an ugly but neccessary slog to find the truth of the matter.

A few mild opinions and mistakes in this forum are hardly going to tarnish the name and family in what seems to be a an already volatile hotpot of gossip in the community.

I must also say that the time frames and some of the info I have got is from the police themselves(when they talked to us) and their flyers they have provided to us. Also from people who actually know the family themselves.

I'm starting to feel sorry for him, it would be better if he did something awful to Allison that he just come clean. The sooner he confesses the better, for himself, for his children, and for the family who surrounds this tragedy. The truth will out, it always does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500