Found Deceased Australia - Gary Tweddle, 23, Blue Mountains NSW, 16 July 2013 - #3

Agreed that the situations are different, however, she is not the only young person to vanish from the area - as talked about early in Thread One I believe.
There have been other (unsolved) disappearances of out-of-towners in the area in unusual (not bush-walking) scenarios.

After reading about a witness statement from the inquest relating to Katoomba woman Belinda Peisley, and her being "put over a cliff" somewhere in the region, if nothing else it's an indication that there has been an alleged history of dodgy types in the area who have possibly made use of the topography as a cover for sinister activities.

Presumably if a person or persons wanted to dispose of a body (in the context of clifftops), they would select a location in relative close proximity to a road or access track, and somewhere private (maybe even a secluded lookout carpark on a weeknight during the off season).

If drugs are indeed established to be a factor in this case, some kind of overdose scenario could also be a possibility, and perhaps reason for a third party (like a dealer or supplier) to choose to dispose of a body rather than be implicated in the death and face consequences.

I see there's a news report today about the death of a young party goer and a number of hospitalisations from a music festival called Defqon which was held only yesterday (suspected overdoses due to a bad batch of ecstasy- the 23 y/o guy who died went into seizures and later suffered cardiac arrest).

As always, just my opinion.

@ H A L 9 0 0 0
JMO - but I think there is another person who, in whatever context, knows something more about that night, and is yet to come forward.
:(

Sorry, I just realized the Sublime Point Track which I posted didn't have the track marked on it.
Pic 1) Here is the track marked on the map. (There is also a small trail track from the end of West St cul-de-sac which hooks up with the main track - not marked)
Pic 2) Street lighting in the area

Attachments

• Track walk marked Sublime Point.jpg
    Track walk marked Sublime Point.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 48
  • street lights Sublime Point Road.jpg
    street lights Sublime Point Road.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 42
Sorry, I just realized the Sublime Point Track which I posted didn't have the track marked on it.
Pic 1) Here is the track marked on the map. (There is also a small trail track from the end of West St cul-de-sac which hooks up with the main track - not marked)
Pic 2) Street lighting in the area

Just wondering where exactly is Sweet Dreams Wall in relation to the track? Thanks so much for the pictures

<modsnip>
Something that's just occurred to me, do we even know for sure Gary was on a track or is it possible he was just stumbling through the bush, lost and not on any path?
That might seem completely crazy but it could also explain why he couldn't tell anyone where he actually was during the phone call.

i wonder if gary fell backwards or frontwards? do we know if he was found face up or down?

i wonder if gary fell backwards or frontwards? do we know if he was found face up or down?
Gary fell backwards i.e. he was found slumped over backwards across a fallen tree branch. I imagine his head was more towards the cliff and his feet more towards the valley, as the paramedic said in msm that they could clearly make out his legs

<modsnip>
Something that's just occurred to me, do we even know for sure Gary was on a track or is it possible he was just stumbling through the bush, lost and not on any path?
That might seem completely crazy but it could also explain why he couldn't tell anyone where he actually was during the phone call.

Nothing was mentioned in MSM about any pathways. I think we were just wondering how he might have got to Sweet Dreams had he been driven or otherwise, to Sublime point Lookout carpark.

Gary fell backwards i.e. he was found slumped over backwards across a fallen tree branch. I imagine his head was more towards the cliff and his feet more towards the valley, as the paramedic said in msm that they could clearly make out his legs

That position necessitate him having slid down on his backside first?

How would one get into that position?

That position necessitate him having slid down on his backside first?

How would one get into that position?
No, not necessarily. I don't want to be graphic, but if you've ever seen someone fall from a height they rotate. If they're close to something that their arms/legs can make contact with, they tumble and rotate a lot more. It's not a scene you can ever get out of your head after you've seen it :(

To me, falling forwards and doing a partial somersault would land in the position indicated in reports. If he fell backwards and flipped he'd have been slumped face down in my opinion. If he went feet first facing the valley, he could've also landed face up/head cliff side. But it's likely there was deflection off obstacles during the fall also.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/gary-twed...earch-hits-critical-point-20130720-2qaow.html.
At the very beginning it was reported that Gary told his friend that he had become separated from a group. This has not been mentioned since? Maybe it was yet another case of sloppy reporting, but it could explain why Gary was in that area if he had in fact been picked up at Watkins Road and driven with others to Sublime Point. MY opinion only but if that were the case it would seem that Sublime Point would be a regular hangout for a bit of recreational drug use. I know that where I live there are such places, quiet and secluded where people go for a drink and a smoke. All my opinion only. Fig tree I must thank you also for the really useful pictures, maps information and for being such a lovely person:)

Respectfully snipped...

No, its not confirmed anywhere what happened to Gary after the call from Watkins Road - and there are 2 times for that call - 12:20am & 1:00am.

The next piece of msm came when Gary was sighted by the Ambulance training helicopter 6 weeks later and the location of where he was found - down the cliff face at Sweet Dreams.

As what happened between that time, nothing has been reported.
Though its hard to say if he was anywhere near Sweet Dreams at 12:20am (presumed time of the phone call to colleagues) if he was seen 5 minutes earlier by the passing motorist at 12:15am on Watkins Road.

Though a 17 minute walk from Watkins Road down Sublime Road takes you almost to the beginning of that track in West Street (even if he did cut through the plot of bush before West Street) and the close vicinity - (see attachment) - it doesn't mean he did this just a matter of Google walking down that way.

Sublime Point was also one of the first serious search areas the Police looked at extensively. I wonder if there was news that he had gone down that way?

Which also reminds me... on the 19th July (2 days after Gary disappeared) when I went to Sublime Point and took the first pics, a search leader was finishing his day when I asked him if there was any news - he said sadly, no. Was Gary not able to be seen from over the cliff face if someone looked?

:(

Attachments

• 17 minute walk from watkins st down sublime road.jpg
    17 minute walk from watkins st down sublime road.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 37

It doesn't say which way he was facing though :( I had thought he was sort of parallel with the cliff face (JMO). I think I got that impression from the recovery operation photos.
And it doesn't say if Gary's shirt was opened or it had scrunched up near his neck to show the bare torso...

An ambulance rescue helicopter spotted his body on branches in a crevice about 30 metres down a cliff on Monday afternoon.

SMH Report... To maintain the hover as they ran through hypothetical rescue missions, the pilot had to pick a reference point on the cliff as a marker. The sun flickered on something slumped backwards over a fallen tree branch that caught the pilot's eye. Mr Davidson spotted the same thing.
It was slumped backwards over a fallen tree branch, clothed in dark blue jeans or pants, and a tattered shirt partially covering what appeared to be a bare torso. Two legs could be clearly made out and, the way the object was lying, just one arm was visible.

Respectfully snipped...
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/gary-twed...earch-hits-critical-point-20130720-2qaow.html.
At the very beginning it was reported that Gary told his friend that he had become separated from a group. This has not been mentioned since? Maybe it was yet another case of sloppy reporting, but it could explain why Gary was in that area if he had in fact been picked up at Watkins Road and driven with others to Sublime Point.

Here's another one...
It's Main Stream Media Reports like this that confuse the issues -

23rd July 2013 - NINE MSN AAP. Read More...
My bold ...
"The last confirmed sighting was in Watkins Road in Leura by two passing motorists," Det Insp Bostock said.

This photo is from the Blue Mountains Police Rescue Website Page - showing the terrain location.

The page with 5 photos of the recovery operation...
Blue Mountains Police Rescue Photos

Attachments

• Blue Mountains Police Rescue facebook photo of recovery operation.jpg
    Blue Mountains Police Rescue facebook photo of recovery operation.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 37
Had close family at Gary's UK celebration in Crazies Hill on Friday. There were webcasts from the events in Sydney, and balloons were launched (some with messages for Gary, others with seeds and letters asking the eventual finders to plant them in Gary's memory).

Also need to clear one thing up! Gary was an avid Newcastle United fan (as is his Geordie Dad) - not a Liverpool fan, and I am sure he would find the misunderstanding extremely funny.

http://www.nufcblog.com/2013/07/22/newcastle-fan-goes-missing-in-australias-blue-mountains/

Bless you mate x

Had close family at Gary's UK celebration in Crazies Hill on Friday. There were webcasts from the events in Sydney, and balloons were launched (some with messages for Gary, others with seeds and letters asking the eventual finders to plant them in Gary's memory).

Also need to clear one thing up! Gary was an avid Newcastle United fan (as is his Geordie Dad) - not a Liverpool fan, and I am sure he would find the misunderstanding extremely funny.

http://www.nufcblog.com/2013/07/22/newcastle-fan-goes-missing-in-australias-blue-mountains/

Bless you mate x

The seeds and the messages are such a lovely idea!
I hope they all spring forth.

To me, falling forwards and doing a partial somersault would land in the position indicated in reports. If he fell backwards and flipped he'd have been slumped face down in my opinion. If he went feet first facing the valley, he could've also landed face up/head cliff side. But it's likely there was deflection off obstacles during the fall also.

Need to clarify, HAL9000 and others. I know nothing of 'how' he fell, just of his landing position, based on msm reports. When I said 'he fell backwards', I meant 'he landed backwards' as opposed to face first on the ground. Sorry for lack of clarity.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back