GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. I see it just fine and I don't subscribe. I also live in the US, could they have it open to foreign ips so they get a better international fanbase/reputation?

303114-jill-meagher-map.jpg

From Perthnow

Doesn't look like a good place to walk through at 2am :(
093204-jill-meagher-crime-scene-search.jpg

Sure doesn't. If she DID walk through there, than that was a stupid choice.

Of course, she could have been attacked before there, and her handbag thrown down that alleyway from the main road.... Just because the bag was found there (I'm assuming that's the laneway in the picture) doesn't necessarily mean that she walked down there.

But I still wouldn't be happy to think that my wife was even walking past lanes like that at 2am - and yes, I'll duck the incoming from the feminists and gender equality set. The fact remains that women are NOT as safe as men in some circumstances.

Chivalry is not dead - I would have insisted on either walking her home or putting her in a cab. But that's just me and my antiquated views, I guess... :blushing:

Unless you have 9th degree black belt in some asian sort of fighting sport as a woman being tooo careful at night should be your mantra. Just cant make sense of her situation. But am I going to risk walking 500 m for the sake of waking up my husband - no way - I would call him and tell him to meet me at the pub to walk home. Unless she went off with someone else. Maybe she decided to go to another bar so hubby wasn't in the loop. At the very least if she was alone she could have called hubby telling him not to worry I won't be home till morn or even I need to talk (on the mob) and walk at the very least. If he was out looking for her at 4am one would assume he was expecting her back at 2am. Why wouldn't he go meet her and walk her home and why did she refuse that guy was he coming on to her and her hubby new he was a bit of a player?

The first reports said her brother said she "sounded worried"

Now some of the reports are saying she said "I'm worried"

One thing that I do find a bit irritating is the constant description of Jill Meagher as "ABC employee" or whatever. What difference does that make? Why should that cause more concern and more feverish searching than you or I would get?

I wonder if it would attract the same attention without the media connection?

That's not sour grapes, by the way - just an observation on how something can be used as a label. A tweet that keeps going past is "Victoria Police are appealing for public help to find missing ABC radio employee Jillian Meagher".

What difference does it make what she does for a living? If it were Jane Doe from some very non-flash suburb, it should attract exactly the same attention.

However, the real world is a peculiar thing, isn't it?

It's not looking good. I find her husband extremely credible, his emotions are genuine, his actions seem like those of an innocent husband.

As for the various circumstances, they aren't raising any red flags for me. It's not unusual for someone who has something emotional going on to "drunk dial" their friends, family, a lover, at an inappropriate time. Midlife crisis is how several of my peers have described feeling out of sorts in recent times.

If it was not just an opportune attack as she walked alone, I dare say someone could have easily overheard her conversation about walking home alone and been able to get in front of her to get her when she vulnerable.

This could not remind me less of what happened to Allison Baden-Clay.

One thing that I do find a bit irritating is the constant description of Jill Meagher as "ABC employee" or whatever. What difference does that make? Why should that cause more concern and more feverish searching than you or I would get?

I wonder if it would attract the same attention without the media connection?

That's not sour grapes, by the way - just an observation on how something can be used as a label. A tweet that keeps going past is "Victoria Police are appealing for public help to find missing ABC radio employee Jillian Meagher".

What difference does it make what she does for a living? If it were Jane Doe from some very non-flash suburb, it should attract exactly the same attention.

However, the real world is a peculiar thing, isn't it?

I don't think it makes a difference what she does for a living. I think they always look for a way to describe the missing person , using any information they have gathered eg. 'missing QLD schoolboy' ,'AFL footballer found dead','missing school teacher'' 'missing mother of 3'. I think they would use those types of descriptions for anyone no matter who they were or what their occupation.

Whether Jill told her brother she was worried or brother just thought she was might actually only have been about her father who recently had a stroke.

If she called at 1.45am, that is only 11.45pm in Perth, which is quite an ok time to be phoning family if you know them well. Who knows, brother might be renown for going to bed rather late.

Timing does seem a bit off to me. If she left at 1.30am on a supposedly 5 minute walk home, how come it took her until 1.45am to be seen on Lux Way (as per Yoda's time map)? Also it seems that she had only been back from UK for a few days. One huge mistery!

I don't suspect her husband at all. I don't find that he has acted any differently than I would expect, considering he has no idea where his wife is and so much is up in the air at the moment. I can't even begin to imagine how I would be feeling if my partner went missing, it's hard to judge how others should or should not be acting. Innocent until proven guilty (unless there's damn good evidence suggesting otherwise).

I believe she was ambushed by a stranger, whether it be someone that saw her coming down the road and took advantage of the situation, or someone that was in the bar and saw her leave alone. I don't suspect her husband or the colleague she was last seen with, both seem credible thus far.

I think it would be good to know the state she was in leaving the bar. Was she very drunk or did she seem to have her wits about her? Was she emotional when she left?

I'd like more information about the call with her brother. Her sounding worried and her telling him she was worried are two different things, it'd be nice to have that cleared up. I believe she may have called her brother because she wanted to scare off someone that she felt was following her, which would explain her sounding worried, or she may have even wanted to just hear a familiar voice because she was a little nervous about walking home alone (and it would have only been midnight there, perhaps she knew he'd be awake - he may be a bit of a night owl).

My thoughts are with her family. Hoping she's found soon.

Hi I'm a long time forum lurker who finally joined today. I'm from Melbourne, on the other side of the city, but with a daughter who has just started going to bars and clubs it's way too close to home for comfort.

When I first heard about Jill Meaghers disappearance yesterday my gut reaction was that somethings happened to her.

A few things concern me

1. the colleague leaving her to walk home
2. the phone call to her brother, if she was worried about her safety wouldn't she have called her husband?
3. the handbag wasn't found until today, so all day saturday and sunday no one noticed it?
4. the husband saying she only had her bankcard and phone with her and yet her handbag has been found.
5. the time of the husbands search, one report I read had him searching at 4am, another at 5am, plus the constant phone calls between 2am and 6am
6. the time he reported her missing was lunchtime, why did he wait until then?

I think the fact she works for the ABC will certainly help her case in the media. Firstly because it is one of their own, and secondly her colleagues whom she was with are likely more accessible and comfortable with being interviewed. This is probably a function of their socio-economic status as well. Her family and friends know what to do to get her name and face out there.

Whereas when someone like Danielle Hibbert who very recently went missing, there was barely a peep and her circumstances seem very suspect. There's not even a name of the person who last saw her in the media to sleuth in that instance.

Sadly in both instances no amount of media attention will change the circumstances for the women themselves.

I don't think it makes a difference what she does for a living. I think they always look for a way to describe the missing person , using any information they have gathered eg. 'missing QLD schoolboy' ,'AFL footballer found dead','missing school teacher'' 'missing mother of 3'. I think they would use those types of descriptions for anyone no matter who they were or what their occupation.

Fair point. But this seems to be more than that - the way that social media is being used, etc. Just seems a bit over the top. That's not a bad thing - but it should apply equally to all, not just because somebody happens to work at the ABC.

OK - enough said. Don't want to labour the point, especially while she's still a missing person.

I agree, Timmy. If I went missing I doubt that the media would say 'breaking is missing'. They would more likely say 'Breaking News, a single father of 11 is missing.'

Doc, I don't have an issue with media adding some highlight like employment to their story.

Hi I'm a long time forum lurker who finally joined today. I'm from Melbourne, on the other side of the city, but with a daughter who has just started going to bars and clubs it's way too close to home for comfort.

When I first heard about Jill Meaghers disappearance yesterday my gut reaction was that somethings happened to her.

A few things concern me

2. the phone call to her brother, if she was worried about her safety wouldn't she have called her husband?
3. the handbag wasn't found until today, so all day saturday and sunday no one noticed it?
4. the husband saying she only had her bankcard and phone with her and yet her handbag has been found.
5. the time of the husbands search, one report I read had him searching at 4am, another at 5am, plus the constant phone calls between 2am and 6am

Hi! I agree with all of your concerns. It just doesn't quite add up, does it??

A few things concern me

Welcome to Websleuths!!! :greetings:

I've had the same thoughts about the handbag. If people were out searching for her, I don't understand how this was not found until two days later. It's possible the bag wasn't very visible from wherever it was, and I suppose the searchers would be looking for her and not her bag, but two days seems like a long time to not be found, especially if it was found on the way she would walk home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member