GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow if he was living with his partner, wonder where he said he was going before he left for the night. Did she become suspicious, scared, worried when he came back in the early hours of the morning or not at all. Did she try contacting him to find out his whereabouts or to see if he was ok? Does anyone know if he was working? shiftwork?
Did he return home in the same clothes? What condition were they in? Did he return home in new clothing? Did this raise her suspicion about connecting him to crime the day media released Jill had gone missing? DId she alert police to possible connection?
I wonder.

She must have known once she saw that CCTV footage surely :(

This MSM article informs us that Tom Meagher, loved husband of Jill, today walked that path where Jill was last seen alive whilst comforted by family and friends. So sad for him and the family and friends. Such a hard thing to do while raw with grief from tragic circumstances. Our heartfelt sympathy Tom.
He thanked the owner of Duchess Boutique.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...-last-seen-alive/story-e6frf7kx-1226486124892
Wayne Flower, Anthony Dowsley October 02, 2012 at 12:00AM :candle:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-01/facebook-27frustrating27-police/4289714?section=vic

Updated 2 hours 5 minutes ago

<snipped>
Late on Monday, Facebook issued a statement.

"Facebook is a service devoted to helping people share and making the world more open and connected.

"We take our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities very seriously and react quickly to remove reported content that violates our policies and also to restrict access to content in a country, where we are advised that it violates local law.

"While we do not comment on individual requests or cases, we can confirm that we are still in contact with the local law enforcement in Victoria."

Trying to silence social media will be like trying to herd cats, or to get everyone to vote for the Nazi party. The genie is out of the bottle. Social media now exists. It is a phenomenon of the "NOW". It is the modern day equivalent of what used to be said down the pub, over the garden fence, in the barber's chair, or behind the bike sheds at school.

The big difference is that everyone else on the same system can now see what you - and everybody else - just said.

And that can NEVER be shut up. They can pass all the laws they like, but they will not stop the effect. All they'll achieve is to make it even more enticing for those not already on Facebook or Twitter to get on there to see what all the fuss is about!

I think it should all be the other way around - the legal system should adapt to the fact that social media exists, and work with it.

For the 12 people on any given jury (interesting side thought - in these metricated days, why do we still have a dozen jurors or eggs?), they can only have been exposed to 12 lots of gossip, whether by social media, the MSM, or down the pub, over the garden fence, etc etc, before being selected for jury duty.

Personally, I really don't think that a jury, consisting of 12 members who have a tendency to keep each other in check and on track, will be unduly swayed by what they've already seen or heard. They are already instructed by judges to ignore some things that come up in court that are then subject to objection. They are also denied access to evidence that is deemed inadmissible for various legal technicalities by the judge.

I just think the legal system needs to get out of the dark ages in so many ways, and that it should be able to do so without compromising the administration of justice.

With regard to social media, the words, "horse", "stable door", "cat" and "bag" all spring to mind....

Googled the alleged perp's name & was directed to a number of hate sites on Facebook. Looks like a lot of material has been taken down.

Do you have any evidence of hard-labour causing prisoners to become a danger to society when released? Just wondering...

Firstly, I think it stands to reason that if a person is brutalized (and lets face it, some prison warders in the past were as bad or worse than the prisoners - ie Goulburn Jail for one), then that person is going to come out a brutalized person and unable to cope in any way in a normal society - likely to hit out at the first person who crosses them, or is perceived to cross them. Incarceration on its own can take a very long time of adjustment, especially if a long sentence. Posting a link, which delves into past history of jail treatment - UK origins, which is what Australia followed as a colony.

http://vcp.e2bn.org/gaols/page11685-an-overview-of-rehabilitation-and-reform.html

Firstly, I think it stands to reason that if a person is brutalized (and lets face it, some prison warders in the past were as bad or worse than the prisoners - ie Goulburn Jail for one), then that person is going to come out a brutalized person and unable to cope in any way in a normal society - likely to hit out at the first person who crosses them, or is perceived to cross them. Incarceration on ists own can take a very long time of adjustment, especially if a long sentence. Posting a link, which delves into past history of jail treatment - UK origins, which is what Australia followed as a colony.

http://vcp.e2bn.org/gaols/page11685-an-overview-of-rehabilitation-and-reform.html

Devil's advocate - but sexual sadists/predators have, according to what I've googled, the kind of psychopathy that tends not to respond well to treatment. So, if rehab is not possible, then the only purpose of incarceration can be to keep them from re-offending and/or punishment.

Trying to silence social media will be like trying to herd cats, or to get everyone to vote for the Nazi party. The genie is out of the bottle...
<respectfully snipped>
With regard to social media, the words, "horse", "stable door", "cat" and "bag" all spring to mind....

:giggle: well said. I guess The Law makers and Law enforcers are being challenged to find a way forward with social media - particularly its impact upon criminal cases. Social media has advantages when used for pro-social activities, but correspondingly, has disadvantages when used for anti-social activities, such as we are witnessing in relation to the alleged perpetrator. We do not want Criminal Cases jeopardized, but people need a place to vent, discuss, share cases of public interest. However, crossing the line by making threats, written abuse, etc is not acceptable as it is against the standards of civil society which we all benefit from. So finding that way forward, with social media, seems to be the current challenge. My opinion only.

Devil's advocate - but sexual sadists/predators have, according to what I've googled, the kind of psychopathy that tends not to respond well to treatment. So, if rehab is not possible, then the only purpose of incarceration can be to keep them from re-offending and/or punishment.

I agree with you. The real purpose of this type of offenders' incarceration is to protect society. Derek Percy is one that comes to mind as he has been in jail since 1967 or 1968 in Victoria for a brutal murder of a young girl at Warneit (Vic). He has served his sentence, but he will never been granted Parole. He is suspected of a number of other murders of children, but when questioned states that he has no recall. Some of these type of prisoners progress to a facility for the criminally insane and there they stay until they die. Not ideal, but it ensures that the perpetrator has no more victims. Sexual predators too often progress to murder, especially if they have already been jailed and released. The reason they progress to murder is to avoid a return to jail and they are still more often than not caught - because they are not as clever as they perceive themselves to be, and now all offenders of serious crimes in Victoria
have to provide DNA samples, which ensures that there is a high probability that they will be caught for subsequent crimes.

<modsnip>

If I found a 5 star hotel with as many services as this jail offers I'll book in in a heart-beat. Outrageous!!! :jail:

I want to know who would think it's a good idea to offer darts as a sport for prisoners! Unless they have some kind of foam or plastic darts?

I know it's a silly thing to pick up on...but does the headline say 'Heavily pregnant woman' and the article state she is 4.5 months pregnant? I'm tired so I might be reading it incorrectly.

Your eyesight is perfect. Another article also said 4-1/2 months, so, if that is 'heavily pregnant', maybe she's having quads.

peeps: do NOT post about AB's criminal history. For complete details refer to the opening post. eta: this includes speculation about his dna, etc

Do you have any evidence of hard-labour causing prisoners to become a danger to society when released? Just wondering...

Didn't cause any of my convict ancestors to become dangerous. They took their land grant, worked their farms and raised families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member