GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic but My beloved Dad (totally unexpectedly :() passed away yesterday afternoon, may not be due to the same circumstances to Jill's death but I can relate to some feelings as to what Jill's family are feeling. Sleep peacefully Jill, and my beloved Dad. :rose:

Such sad news FruitTingles...condolences to you & your family..

~ Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow,
may looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow ~
author unknown

Off topic but My beloved Dad (totally unexpectedly :() passed away yesterday afternoon, may not be due to the same circumstances to Jill's death but I can relate to some feelings as to what Jill's family are feeling. Sleep peacefully Jill, and my beloved Dad. :rose:

FruitTingles, I am so very sorry for your loss. May your Dad rest peacefully and may you find the strength to deal with your loss and grief xx

I think these "tougher laws" as mentioned above need to be adopted by all states across Australia...not just Victoria. One would hope the other state premiers are listening.

This is great news. I also hope the othe States take note.
Thanks for the posts Marly : )

Dear Fruity, so sorry for the loss of your dad. You take care of yourself.xx

What's the bet this will be a technicality angle used to benefit the suspect and his defense? I think we're looking at the prep work right there.

Roll on January and the court proceedings. Having the freedom to then examine and discuss this person and their actions openly will be .. liberating.

FruitTingles, very sorry for your loss of your Dad. Having also lost my beloved Dad suddenly, I can relate to your feelings of shock and sorrow. Look after you and yours and know that we all feel for you. :rose:

I cannot believe that this is being legally represented by a woman! Yeah, yeah I know, he's entitled to legal representation irrespective of the lawyer's gender. I don't care! As a woman, I'm outraged that another woman would stoop so low as to accept payment for representing this ! What he did to Jill was absolutely horrific and IMO it negates all rights to him getting free legal representation by anyone! He should be hung IMO! :furious:

Suppression order sought in Meagher case.
18:11 AEST Wed Oct 10 2012

A lawyer for the Melbourne man charged with murdering ABC staffer Jill Meagher has applied to suppress his image amid "unprecedented attention" surrounding the case.

Lawyer Helen Spowart told the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday there was material on social media websites that expressed hatred towards her client Adrian Ernest Bayley and speculated about him.

Bayley, 41, of Coburg, is charged with the rape and murder of Ms Meagher, who was allegedly attacked while walking home from a Brunswick bar in the early hours of September 22.

Her body was later found in a shallow grave northwest of Melbourne.

Ms Spowart is also seeking to suppress certain information about Bayley.

"It is clear from this material that the accused is a target of intense and almost unprecedented attention, scrutiny and speculation as to his background," she told the court.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8545992/suppression-order-sought-in-meagher-case

BBM.

MOO.

All the defence hysteria about a "fair trial" would suggest that he is likely to plead "Not Guilty". Which, as has been discussed before, would be lawyers doing their thing.

If he has confessed - which presumably he must have done in order to lead the detectives to her body - then the question of pleading "Not Guilty" surely could only arise as to the manner in which poor Jill died. In other words - maybe a claim that the death itself was unintended, accidental, or whatever.

However, trying to suppress or shut down social media will be like trying to put the lid on a pile of eels - with no box! It ain't gonna happen! And the more they try to shut down discussion on social media, the more it will be discussed.

I'm not referring here to sites like WS which are very well moderated - I'm referring to the "open" media like Twitter, Facebook, numerous blogs on self-hosted servers, etc etc.

But as has just been pointed out above - this could be simply the groundwork by the defence.... make all the right noises now, and then claim that there is no way that the accused can get a fair trial. As Ausgirl said:

What's the bet this will be a technicality angle used to benefit the suspect and his defense? I think we're looking at the prep work right there.

Of course, if he pleads "Guilty" then there would be no trial anyway, so....

I'm so sorry to hear this, FruitTingles. I hope that the wonderful memories you have of your Dad can bring you some comfort at this time.

Roll on January and the court proceedings. Having the freedom to then examine and discuss this person and their actions openly will be .. liberating.

This is my biggest fear.

Fruitingles, am devastated for you Sweety. Lost my Dad too! Thinking of you!

Love
LeoBear

Fruit Tingles, I'm so sorry for your loss. :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think we will see more judge only trials rather than jury trials in cases where there has been significant MSM and social media and particularly where the accused has prior convictions for similar offences. That solves the how do you find an unbiased jury problem in my opinion.

For example the retrial of Dr Patel in QLD is I think likely to be a judge only trial for this reason. I understand Dr Patel is yet to make a decision on requesting a judge only trial but is considering it.

Judge only trials are also usually cheaper and quicker.

I think we will see more judge only trials rather than jury trials in cases where there has been significant MSM and social media and particularly where the accused has prior convictions for similar offences. That solves the how do you find an unbiased jury problem in my opinion.

For example the retrial of Dr Patel in QLD is I think likely to be a judge only trial for this reason. I understand Dr Patel is yet to make a decision on requesting a judge only trial but is considering it.

I completely agree with you. The other positive of 'judge only' trials is that the judge is required to publish his/her reasons for the decision. Jury deliberations are never disclosed so there is no way of knowing how balanced the decision was, or whether jurors may have been 'got at'. Also, the judiciary are not generally regular users of social media.

Richard Dawkins has an essay in one of his earlier books about trial by jury versus trial by judge. It's been years since I read it and I don't recall what evidence he presented, but his conclusion has stuck with me: that if he were on trial and guilty, he'd prefer the jury; if accused but innocent, he would want the judge. But that was at least a decade before social media, so I think his argument was more about groupthink and emotion than anything else.

If anyone knows, and if it isn't too far off topic, I'd be curious what the latest research says.

AEB's image was on Facebook because he agreed to terms of service and put it there. His image from CCTV was in the media because of a police exercise. The social media argument is mute.

I cannot believe that this is being legally represented by a woman! Yeah, yeah I know, he's entitled to legal representation irrespective of the lawyer's gender. I don't care! As a woman, I'm outraged that another woman would stoop so low as to accept payment for representing this ! What he did to Jill was absolutely horrific and IMO it negates all rights to him getting free legal representation by anyone! He should be hung IMO! :furious:

She appears to be a Senior Public Defender and is the coordinator of the Public Defenders Unit at Victoria Legal Aid.

She also defended the man who purposely set fires that killed 180 people in Victoria, and also serial pedophile/sex offender Colin George McKane. (as found on google).

She appears to be a Senior Public Defender and is the coordinator of the Public Defenders Unit at Victoria Legal Aid.

She also defended the man who purposely set fires that killed 180 people in Victoria, and also serial pedophile/sex offender Colin George McKane. (as found on google).

What a horrid job she has

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member