GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Perp owned up quickly...possibly it was 'good cop, bad cop'. The public servant befriended him, gained his confidence and AB confessed quickly.

Well it happens on TV?

Let's hope so better that scenario than that someone gave him a heads up for whatever reason

On AB leaving the scene- perhaps he initially panicked and then thought "better" of it and decided to return to the scene and dispose of possible "evidence" linking him to the scene?

<modsnip>

DNA comparison- My understanding is that in Qld, anyone serving a sentence more than about 8 years has their DNA collected and it may be used by the police to solve past and future crimes. I know of a burglar that was apprehended this way. He dropped his hat and they already had his DNA on file as he had served time!

Juries- how they reach their decisions is fascinating and a a sub-branch of forensic psychology. It is difficult to study in Australia because of the secrecy but I agree that the secrecy and respect for jurors should remain. Just wish more data could be collected!

My only comments are that

(a) the legal profession generally (and it IS a generalization, I know) seem to insult the intelligence of the public, by insinuating that they are not able to think for themselves, especially under instruction in a court situation.

(b) if the defence team are so concerned about the possible preconceptions of a jury, then they can request a judge-only trial - that is, if they trust the judges to be able to think for themselves

Almost certain that Victoria doesn't yet have the option for 'judge-only' trial for these type of offences.

As to trusting a jury to follow instructions to disregard media reports or evidence that is disallowed, a senior judge (I will find the report) has said that it is no more than 'wishful thinking'. That it is illogical to ask someone to completely disregard what they have heard. Even if they genuinely intend to comply, it's there in the subconscious, and a little like asking the rabbit to mind the lettuce.
JMO

Whoever it was that tipped off AB, and I agree it could be his PO, it sounds like it didn't make any or little difference to the police investigation and that is the reason the police aren't pursuing charges against that person. AB had done all that he was going to do re Jill and was going about his normal life by that time. If the police thought AB would have behaved differently after being tipped off, that could have seriously affected the investigation but luckily it hasn't seemed to have mattered as he led them to Jill's body anyway.

I do think that person is currently in a bit of trouble with their employer. I think that if the tip off was coordinated with the police, ie good cop /bad cop stuff, then this info would not have been revealed.

Off topic. for the Western Australians please keep your eyes open for Brooke.

Western Australia (Armadale): Missing 15 year old Brooke from Armadale area hasn't been seen since Saturday 13th Oct in the evening.
Her family are extremely worried for her welfare as they believe she may have gone with a man she met on the internet.
Call crimestoppers 1800 000 333 with any information.

https://www.facebook.com/amecfindmychild

Just had Hinch running on the laptop, and he says the person who tipped off Bayley works for the Justice Dept - so presumably a PO or similar.

He also confirmed - from his "police sources" - that:

(a) the handbag WAS taken by someone who found it, then returned when the news about the missing Jill hit the headlines. That person had nothing to do with the rape or murder.

(b) the police will allege that the attack on Jill was very swift and brutal - eg a king hit (my opinion only) - and that the reason nobody heard anything was that she was either unconscious or already dead when she was dragged down the lane and then raped. So mercifully it would appear that she knew nothing of what was happening.

Just relaying what was just on Hinch's Drive show, streaming on my laptop while I'm up to my chin in paperwork...!

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/blog-wi...d-off-adrian-bayley-works/20121015-27mle.html

Thanks for posting. I hope it's some small comfort to the family that she (hopefully) wasn't conscious. Possibly he jumped out and strangled her quickly, as the police are alleging she was strangled.

Off topic. for the Western Australians please keep your eyes open for Brooke.

Western Australia (Armadale): Missing 15 year old Brooke from Armadale area hasn't been seen since Saturday 13th Oct in the evening.
Her family are extremely worried for her welfare as they believe she may have gone with a man she met on the internet.
Call crimestoppers 1800 000 333 with any information.

https://www.facebook.com/amecfindmychild

Thank you Amee! Thread for Brooke started at below link

Australia Australia - Brooke Skybinsky-15 years old - WA - Perth/Armadale - 13-Oct-2012 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

(b) the police will allege that the attack on Jill was very swift and brutal - eg a king hit (my opinion only) - and that the reason nobody heard anything was that she was either unconscious or already dead when she was dragged down the lane and then raped. So mercifully it would appear that she knew nothing of what was happening.

I'm not sure if this info makes me feel better or worse for Jill. Whilst it's a small mercy she allegedly wasn't aware of the rape, I can't help but think she'd have been able to fight him off and escape if he hadn't knocked her out quickly :(

Just had Hinch running on the laptop, and he says the person who tipped off Bayley works for the Justice Dept - so presumably a PO or similar.

He also confirmed - from his "police sources" - that:

(a) the handbag WAS taken by someone who found it, then returned when the news about the missing Jill hit the headlines. That person had nothing to do with the rape or murder.

Just relaying what was just on Hinch's Drive show, streaming on my laptop while I'm up to my chin in paperwork...!

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/blog-wi...d-off-adrian-bayley-works/20121015-27mle.html

It is difficult to get one's head around how someone could act in such a depraved manner!

In terms of the chronology of events...we will have to wait and see what comes out in court...anything prior to that is speculation.
In terms of people acting in a depraved manner,one only needs to look at the brutal, sadistic sustained assault perpetrated on Anita Cobby in 1986...even today people speculate and fabricate the events and nature of the injuries.
I was present in the Glebe Coroners Court with Anita's family the day Dr Malouf was on the stand going through the coroners evidence and he categorically ruled out genital mutilation of any kind and I can tell you that the story about bottles etc being placed inside is an urban myth started by people that need treatment by qualified psychiatric practitioners.
I hope the same doesnt occur here as I am sure the actual events don't need embellishing...a beautiful, vibrant and decent girl is no more

For anyone thats read the book "Someone elses daughter",I am the Paul McGovern mentioned in the book that put together the law and order petition...I came to know the Lynch family very well and we are still close...although Gary has passed on now...Anitas sister is married to my brothers mate and Im still close mates with one of the arresting detectives on the case...trust me...the book is definitive

As for the Jill case...my only question at this stage,is how does a suspect allegedly go from "friendly but uncooperative"...to giving a frank and full confession and leading the police to the shallow grave?
Any thoughts on how this change of heart may have occurred?

For some reason the police aren't seeing it has a serious breech, or they'd surely have done more about it (we hope). I could see a P.O checking up on AB by telephone, trying to assert that he knows he's been up to no good, and to ABs denial somehow slipping 'look I know for a fact you're under investigation' (but without specifically saying it is the Jill case). My feeling is that what transpired might have been a mistake or an effort to get AB to talk, not a heads up.

I tend to agree with this. I think the 'heads up' was more of a ' we know it was you and you're ********'

Sorry for the back to back posts.
As for the Jill case...my only question at this stage,is how does a suspect allegedly go from "friendly but uncooperative"...to giving a frank and full confession and leading the police to the shallow grave?

I think the police had all the evidence they needed before they arrested him. They only had to tell him what they had and he would have given up. When they've got you, they've got you. JMO

Hi OZGIRL...true...but my info is that they "played their ace" a good way into the interview and the suspect allegedly folded as a result

Hi Paul,
I have read 'Someone else's Daughter' a long time ago, and think I still have the book. Very confronting and memorable - horrific crime.
Insofar as the suspect's change of heart from uncooperative to cooperative, I read that he was shown irrefutable evidence by the detectives, and then commenced to cooperate, leading the detectives to where he had disposed of Jill's body. Perhaps it was the CCTB footage publicly released, but could have also been CCTV footage, that was not released. as I understand that there is other footage, which will no doubt be produced if there is a trial. I will try and find a link and post if I find.

Found a link:-
http://www.smh.com.au/national/police-feared-more-killings-20120928-26qql.html

Hi Paul,
I have read 'Someone else's Daughter' a long time ago, and think I still have the book. Very confronting and memorable - horrific crime.
Insofar as the suspect's change of heart from uncooperative to cooperative, I read that he was shown irrefutable evidence by the detectives, and then commenced to cooperate, leading the detectives to where he had disposed of Jill's body. Perhaps it was the CCTB footage publicly released, but could have also been CCTV footage, that was not released. as I understand that there is other footage, which will no doubt be produced if there is a trial. I will try and find a link and post if I find.

Found a link:-
http://www.smh.com.au/national/police-feared-more-killings-20120928-26qql.html

Will be interesting to hear what their "ace" actually was...

From that same link...

At first he was friendly but insistent. He was not in Sydney Road early Saturday morning, had not spoken to the victim and was not the man on the CCTV footage.

After some hours police played their ace. They showed him evidence that he was the man.

They also have footage from the freeway...

September 30, 2012
THE closed-circuit security footage from a Sydney Road shop was only part of the technological arsenal police used to investigate the murder of Jill Meagher.

Sometime after the moment Ms Meagher was captured on CCTV speaking to her alleged killer, police will allege he removed the SIM card from her phone, sources told The Sunday Age yesterday.

But not before investigators used information provided by Vodafone and the operators of the CityLink tollway to narrow the search for their main suspect. The Sunday Age understands cameras on the Tullamarine Freeway may have captured footage that helped lead to Adrian Bayley's arrest.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/t...-technology-20120929-26skq.html#ixzz29WclrrYd

Excellent use of technology...similar technology was used to catch the imbeciles that killed John Newman...they shot him and drove to the Georges river to throw the pistol away...while the whole time babbling on their mobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wulongfei125