Australia - JS, 32 y.o. man, charged w/ murder of 9 y.o. girl , Mt Wilson, 13 January 2022 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Court Update

SNIP

Jane Hutt, a neighbour of the Stein’s Mount Wilson property, took to the witness stand on Thursday where she told the court Mr Stein and his mother had stayed at their property on January 15, 2022.

Charlise was reported missing the day before, with Mr Stein spending many hours at Penrith Police Station where he undertook two police interviews and was forensically examined, the jury was told.

Mrs Hutt had travelled with Mr Stein’s mother, Annemie Stein, to pick him up from the police station before he was brought back to the neighbouring property.

The following morning, the jury was told SES officers, members from the RFS and police were searching both properties, which caused Mrs Hutt to become agitated and ask Mr Stein where he thought the girl was.

“He said ‘I don’t know’, he was very agitated … he got up … wringing his hands,” she told the jury on Thursday.

SNIP

The jury heard Mr Stein was adamant Ms Mutten had done something to her daughter.

SNIP

Mrs Hutt then said Mr Stein had doubled down on his claim a real estate agent had come to the property and offered to look after Charlise while he drove 90 minutes to get Ms Mutten.

“He said the lady was from Lawsons Auctions and had come to look at the antiques,” Mrs Hutt said.

She told the jury Mr Stein described the woman “very clearly”, saying she was a brunette woman in her 50s who had worn a blue button up shirt with light coloured pants.

Mrs Hutt told the court the day Charlise was reported missing, Annemie Stein walked to her neighbours property and told her “I need a drink” after finding multiple police officers at Wildenstein.

SNIP

Last edited:
Mr Stein spending many hours at Penrith Police Station where he undertook two police interviews and was forensically examined, the jury was told.
I would like to hear the results of the forensic examination …. If there were any traces of anything ??? Even though it would appear that the examination was a few days after the demise of dear little C …

IMO

Hopefully a very thorough forensic testing was done on his body and his clothing, collecting body fluid and swabbing him all over and well as testing for gun shot residue!

I remember when he was first arrested that he appeared in court the next morning… and I think he was late, and I recall his solicitor said that he was being tested by forensics. Which is pushing the limit testing the next day….to be able to collect decent samples…..

I will try and find the article about when he was at forensic testing.

I have tried to find info on how long gunshot reside stays on a persons hands, and the answers are very varied. Some sites say a matter of hours and a few sites say residue can remain up to 5 days…. It all depends how often the person washed their hands and how thorough they washed their clothes, and also the way that the person was tested.

“How long does gunshot residue stay on skin?

As a very general guide, after four to eight hours it is unlikely that residues will be found on a live and mobile individual's hands unless steps have been taken to preserve such evidence (e.g. bagging the hands).”
1716439988982.png
Minnesota Department of Public Safety - Pages - Minnesota Department of Public Safety - Home › bca › Pages › f...

Forensic Science - Gunshot Residue Collection

MORE RESULTS

How long does GSR (gun shot residue) stay on clothing?

(3) reported that GSR can be detected on the shooter's skin anywhere from one to seven hours after the act but can be detected up to 2 months later on fabric that is left undisturbed. All of this depends on the shooter's general hygiene and how often they wash their hands or even their clothes.

courseresources.mit.usf.edu - / › .​

Charlise Mutten was shot in the face at point blank range, murder trial told, as grisly new details are revealed of the 'charming, chatty and affectionate' young girl's last moments​

“Schoolgirl Charlise Mutten was shot in the face by a gun held just a foot away from her, a forensic examiner has told the trial of her stepdad accused of her murder.

Forensic pathologist Dr Marna Du Plessis conducted the post mortem on Charlise's body after it was found in the sand-filled barrel with her pink Nike slides.

She said possible 'powder tattooing' marks around the gunshot wound on the girl's face led her to believe 'the end of the muzzle... was about a ruler's length' away.

Despite being in 'an advanced state of decomposition', Dr Du Plessis said Charlise had been 'shot in the right side of her face, with the bullet entering her brain'.

Dr Du Plessis said this was the fatal shot, and that she was still alive when it was fired as another shot to Charlise's back above her left hip would not have killed her.

The victim's autopsy revealed that she had an amount of the anti-psychotic drug Quetiapine, which was the same medication Stein took for his schizophrenia.”

Charlise Mutten was shot in the face at point blank range, murder trial told, as grisly new details are revealed of the 'charming, chatty and affectionate' young girl's last moments​

“Schoolgirl Charlise Mutten was shot in the face by a gun held just a foot away from her, a forensic examiner has told the trial of her stepdad accused of her murder.

Forensic pathologist Dr Marna Du Plessis conducted the post mortem on Charlise's body after it was found in the sand-filled barrel with her pink Nike slides.

She said possible 'powder tattooing' marks around the gunshot wound on the girl's face led her to believe 'the end of the muzzle... was about a ruler's length' away.

Despite being in 'an advanced state of decomposition', Dr Du Plessis said Charlise had been 'shot in the right side of her face, with the bullet entering her brain'.

Dr Du Plessis said this was the fatal shot, and that she was still alive when it was fired as another shot to Charlise's back above her left hip would not have killed her.

The victim's autopsy revealed that she had an amount of the anti-psychotic drug Quetiapine, which was the same medication Stein took for his schizophrenia.”

In one of the articles yesterday, it said there was penetrating damage to the back of her size 10 Target black skirt. (it is also included in your linked article) Doesn't mention any damage to the track pants that were also in the barrel.

Sounds like that was the shot that brought Charlise down, then the killer walked up to her and shot her in the face, and killed her. :(

Apart from the pink Nike slides, Charlise clothes included a black jacket, red shirt, boys black track pants, a size 10 black Target skirt 'with penetrating damage to the rear' and a sole black, hooped earring in her left earlobe.

Last edited:
Hate posting from the DM but this was the most recent article that popped up when I searched earlier.. It references multiple comments about KM not wanting to send CM back. JS told the neighbour that she wanted the 3 of them to run away together, his mum's friend also mentioned KM not wanting her to go back. Yesterday the other neighbour described the relationship between KM & CM as "exceptional".

I'm not buying that KM had any reason to want CM dead. It sounds to me like she was in the grips of an ongoing addiction but loved her daughter deeply. I also suspect this is why her parents decided to risk letting CM stay in her care for an extended time.

Charlise Mutten shot directly in the face with gun only a foot away

That whole article….. OMG! Her little face must have been blown in half…. Only her left earring in place….. arghhhh the tears just flow for the poor little angel…..
It's horrible however you slice it but the DM article I just read said that "Examination of the body also found a 5mm x 5mm entry wound to the right cheek where the bullet struck and dislodged a tooth and stuck in the base of the skull." so perhaps not as awful as we'd otherwise imagine.

Justin. Never mind.

I wish I could read some of these articles without having to look at his face.
I know what you mean! When I did attend court the other week, I did want to visualise Stein. But he was in a room that had solid walls with a large sliding glass window, which meant he was sitting on the opposite side of the room, exactly facing the jury. The public gallery did not have a view of him. I thought how I was glad I was not on the jury, having to look at him through the trial.

This image is similar to the court sitting, only the Media area and the Accused area needs to be swapped around. Stein had full view of the jury.

1716445849645.jpeg

Hate posting from the DM but this was the most recent article that popped up when I searched earlier.. It references multiple comments about KM not wanting to send CM back. JS told the neighbour that she wanted the 3 of them to run away together, his mum's friend also mentioned KM not wanting her to go back. Yesterday the other neighbour described the relationship between KM & CM as "exceptional".

I'm not buying that KM had any reason to want CM dead. It sounds to me like she was in the grips of an ongoing addiction but loved her daughter deeply. I also suspect this is why her parents decided to risk letting CM stay in her care for an extended time.

Charlise Mutten shot directly in the face with gun only a foot away
I just hope the prosecution have some tangible forensic evidence linking him to the actual murder …. Perhaps they are saving that for later in the trial…. Closer to closing arguments ????

JS is pleading guilty to the disposal of Charlise, and the Police seem to have plenty of evidence regarding that matter. Is there any physical evidence yet that says who actually shot the poor child and exactly when?

I have to admit I find the “loving mother scenario” a little incongruent with her actions over that time, that have, so far, been presented to the court….

JMO

so perhaps not as awful as we'd otherwise imagine.
I can’t actually think of much worse for a child.. the agony of being shot in the hip and staring at a gun in your face, and the absolute fear of being shot … with an alleged rifle approx 30cm away, as per the forensics ..…
That is pretty horrific for a little girl … IMO

Doesn't mention any damage to the track pants that were also in the barrel.
There are a few more specifics in The Daily Telegraph article about the location of the lower shot … but not the track pants per-say.

Dr Du Plessis told the jury Charlise was also shot in her left lower buttock, a shot she would have survived.

And also this, about the possible time of ingestion of the medication…

Dr Du Plessis also considered it possible the Quetiapine may have been ingested within six hours of death due to the presence of it in the stomach of the deceased,” she said.

Paywalled for some

There is more information about the Quetiapine here in this free article …
And I think some new information ??

Stein told police that Charlise had been sick and vomiting when she woke up on the morning of 12 January and that he had given her two Nurofen-brand ibuprofen tablets.
A toxicologist, Dr Judith Perl then testified…

But Perl told the court there were no traces of ibuprofen present in toxicology samples taken from Charlise.

Last edited:
There are a few more specifics in The Daily Telegraph article about the location of the lower shot … but not the track pants per-say.

Dr Du Plessis told the jury Charlise was also shot in her left lower buttock, a shot she would have survived.

And also this, about the possible time of ingestion of the medication…

Dr Du Plessis also considered it possible the Quetiapine may have been ingested within six hours of death due to the presence of it in the stomach of the deceased,” she said.

Paywalled for some

I was trying to work out what Charlise was wearing, and if the track pants were just thrown into the barrel. There was definitely damage to the back of the skirt ... so I imagine that is what she was wearing. If she also had track pants on under the skirt, there is no damage to them mentioned.

imo

I was trying to work out what Charlise was wearing, and if the track pants were just thrown into the barrel. There was definitely damage to the back of the skirt ... so I imagine that is what she was wearing. If she also had track pants on under the skirt, there is no damage mentioned to them.

imo
Yes …. I knew what you meant, and I was wondering the same …. But so far there are no answers to that question that I have seen …

I was just trying to add the “details” as they become available …

IMO

I can’t actually think of much worse for a child.. the agony of being shot in the hip and staring at a gun in your face, and the absolute fear of being shot … with an alleged rifle approx 30cm away, as per the forensics ..…
That is pretty horrific for a little girl … IMO
Of course, I didn’t mean it in that way at all, it was certainly horrific and would have been a very scary last few moments for her. I only meant to address the (also horrific) visual that her face “must have been blown in half”.

I just hope the prosecution have some tangible forensic evidence linking him to the actual murder …. Perhaps they are saving that for later in the trial…. Closer to closing arguments ????

JS is pleading guilty to the disposal of Charlise, and the Police seem to have plenty of evidence regarding that matter. Is there any physical evidence yet that says who actually shot the poor child and exactly when?

I have to admit I find the “loving mother scenario” a little incongruent with her actions over that time, that have, so far, been presented to the court….

JMO
I think you’re right, what we’ve heard of her behaviour does seem at odds with that theory but I think also humans are notoriously complex & addiction only increases that complexity.

Its possibly also just my sincere hope that a mother wouldn’t do something so awful, but I realise that sadly she wouldn’t be the first. :(

I really hope they have some forensic evidence too. I’d hate for nobody to end up being held accountable for such an awful crime.

I wonder at what point during the trial the jury are going to visit the property???

The jury in next year's trial will spend two days visiting the property and the Colo River location, Stein's lawyer Susan Davenport SC said.

"I have been up to the house in Mount Wilson, it's not all that difficult and has a little stretch of unsealed road but it is mostly sealed," she told Justice Elizabeth Wilson on Friday.

"That's at least three hours each way, and the Colo River is on the Hawkesbury so that'll be a separate excursion."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DirtyV53