Deceased/Not Found Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *husband guilty* #5

Sentence should reflect the human dignity of his victim

24 years, YES!
I do think that sentence does reflect the human dignity of Lynn, in the context of a trial. I don't think it reflects on the agony and despair of her family, or the truly horrible psychological warfare he embarked upon his own daughters , painting a picture of their mother that was not true.

I don't know what sentence would reflect that kind of wickedness, though, so maybe it's a moot point. But he is a psychopath, an operative one, still operating as a fully fledged psychopath , age doth not weary them. He will never tell where her body is, not now, not ever.

Friday 2nd December 2022

12.28pm

Chris Dawson sentenced to minimum of 18 years in prison​

ByMichaela Whitbourn​

"Justice Ian Harrison has sentenced Chris Dawson to a minimum of 18 years in prison and a maximum of 24 years for the murder of his first wife Lynette.
“Mr Dawson will probably die in jail,” he said of the 74-year-old.
Harrison adjourns the court."

I do think that sentence does reflect the human dignity of Lynn, in the context of a trial. I don't think it reflects on the agony and despair of her family, or the truly horrible psychological warfare he embarked upon his own daughters , painting a picture of their mother that was not true.

I don't know what sentence would reflect that kind of wickedness, though, so maybe it's a moot point. But he is a psychopath, an operative one, still operating as a fully fledged psychopath , age doth not weary them. He will never tell where her body is, not now, not ever.

The sentence is fair, but strict, even a tad stricter than I had guessed. Perhaps he will appeal. Is there any basis for a lighter sentence on appeal if he tells where Lynette now lies?

Maybe live with a large photo of Lynette on his wall, or on the ceiling.
One he can't cover up or remove.

I suppose that might be considered torture.

Yes, one of those happy family photos with Lynette and the two wee girls and everyone is smiling and full of life. Would CD have any sense of remorse? Perhaps not.

Friday 2nd December 2022

12.28pm

Chris Dawson sentenced to minimum of 18 years in prison​

ByMichaela Whitbourn​

"Justice Ian Harrison has sentenced Chris Dawson to a minimum of 18 years in prison and a maximum of 24 years for the murder of his first wife Lynette.
“Mr Dawson will probably die in jail,” he said of the 74-year-old.
Harrison adjourns the court."

18 years for a 74 year old may as well be 180 years.

IMO the sentence should have been 180 years to send a message about spousal murder and domestic violence, either way he will die in prison.
Many witnessed poor Lynn with a black eyes before she was murdered, yes he can die in prison.

The sentence is fair, but strict, even a tad stricter than I had guessed. Perhaps he will appeal. Is there any basis for a lighter sentence on appeal if he tells where Lynette now lies?
I don't know how to answer that one, MJ.. It is possible that , having confessed to her murder, and producing the body of Lynn BEFORE he runs an appeal, well,...a bit knocked off. A few years, perhaps, bearing in mind, that for murder, in NSW, 20 years is the mandatory sentence. He gets 20 years regardless of what mitigating matters he may now decide to bring before a judge...

He will certainly appeal, it is his right to do so, it is very rare that a murderer does not appeal, because it's playing the odds. You can't win if you don't play, so his appeal will be a certainty, I think. On what grounds, that would be the big question. A matter of error by the judge? ,,... some glitch in the witnesses that he can prove to be incorrect?.. he doesn't have grounds enough as far as I can tell... He may get a hearing for an appeal though,, and be struck with an extra years sentence, this does happen, quite a lot, really. So it's a gamble, but he is a gambling man.

There was no jury, so he can't whinge about a bad juror!!

ps Regards to Bloor sT.. ( I used to live in Toronto ,, Scarborough) ..

12.49pm

A wrap of Chris Dawson’s sentence​

ByMichaela Whitbourn​

As noted below, Justice Ian Harrison has indicated that Chris Dawson is likely to die in jail after he sentenced him to a minimum of 18 years in prison for the murder of his first wife Lynette.
  • The sentence is backdated to August 30 and Dawson is first eligible for parole on August 30, 2040, at the age of 92.
  • His full 24-year sentence would not expire until August 29, 2046, when Dawson would be 98.
  • The NSW parliament passed new “no body, no parole” laws after Dawson was found guilty in August of murdering Lynette, whose body has never been found. The laws “make it impossible for offenders who willfully and deliberately refuse to disclose information about their victim’s remains to be granted parole”, Premier Dominic Perrottet said in September.
  • Harrison did not consider the extensive media attention surrounding Dawson’s criminal charges and trial as a mitigating factor. “As harsh as it may sound to say so, Mr Dawson is now the author of his own fortune,” Harrison said.
  • Dawson has filed a notice of intention to appeal against his conviction.

Former Sydney schoolteacher Chris Dawson has been sentenced to a maximum 24 years in prison for murdering his first wife Lynette in 1982.

The 74-year-old has been in custody since he was found guilty in August, following a judge-only trial in the NSW Supreme Court.

Ms Dawson's body has never been found and the Crown argued he killed her in order to have an "unfettered relationship" with the family's teenage babysitter, JC, who he later married.

Justice Ian Harrison today said the murder was an "objectively very serious crime".

"Lynette Dawson was faultless and undeserving of her fate," the judge said in sentencing.

"Despite the deteriorating state of her marriage to Mr Dawson she was undoubtedly also completely unsuspecting."

Justice Harrison found Dawson's crime was inspired by an "uncontrollable desire" to be with JC, and the prospect of losing her "distressed, frustrated and overwhelmed him" to the point where he resolved to kill his wife.

Teacher's Pet wife killer Chris Dawson was emotionless as he was sentenced to up to 24 years' jail for murdering his wife Lynette 40 years ago.

Dawson will likely die behind bars after NSW Supreme Court Justice Ian Harrison pronounced the sentence on Friday afternoon, handing Dawson an 18 year minimum sentence.

The 74-year-old appeared in person in prison greens in the NSW Supreme Court on Friday afternoon as Justice Harrison read out his judgment.

He didn't react as the judge read out his total sentence and was led away back to the cells in handcuffs.

Justice Harrison said Dawson was a 'selfish and cynical' killer who treated wife as 'completely dispensable'.

He said Lynette Dawson was 'faultless and undeserving of her fate ... and completely unsuspecting'.

He said the murder was 'neither spontaneous not unavoidable' and he had shown 'self-indulgent brutality' by killing Lynette.

A sketch of Dawson after the sentencing. I do see some emotion there
1669947045260.png

The 74-year-old was being sentenced three months after being convicted in August of murdering his wife Lynette Dawson 40 years ago.

His older brother, solicitor Peter Dawson, who has strenuously denied his younger brother's guilt in two inquests and the murder trial, arrived at court with the killer's lawyer, Greg Walsh and sat next to him at the bar table.

Dawson sat stock still in the dock in his prison greens, briefly acknowledging his brother before the judge entered the court.

Lynette Dawson's family, including her brother Greg Simms and his wife Merilyn, all wore pink ribbons and took the front row in the court.

NSW Homicide Squad Commander Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty attended the sentencing and met Lynette's family in the court.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back