Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post Pipsissiway, yeah, all quite possible and completely interesting ... oh yes, a database of cult members with their photos, wouldn't that be handy :) PS: I bet the name Squiggle Dee Overpass Morning Electric has already been taken by someone ... hee hee

Glad I finished my tea before I read your post!!! Probably would've ended badly!! (Of course that name has been taken!!) :D

Itsapuzzle, thank you for gently pointing out how ridiculous it is to hope for such a database. I assumed the Australian government is closely monitoring this group, but given your response, it sounds like they aren't. At least not to the point of getting snapshots of every one of them, LOL. I'm probably going out on a limb :p but I assume there isn't a Hermes Far Eastern Shining Light Yearbook either? :)

Glad I finished my tea before I read your post!!! Probably would've ended badly!! (Of course that name has been taken!!) :D

Itsapuzzle, thank you for gently pointing out how ridiculous it is to hope for such a database. I assumed the Australian government is closely monitoring this group, but given your response, it sounds like they aren't. At least not to the point of getting snapshots of every one of them, LOL. I'm probably going out on a limb :p but I assume there isn't a Hermes Far Eastern Shining Light Yearbook either? :)
Oh no Pipsissiway, I hope you didn't take it the wrong way, I was actually saying it would be great to have such a list, database, no wasn't inferring it to be ridiculous at all, would be very good ... maybe someone has compiled one .... there would be ones for individuals I guess, to be beware of I reckon. Cheers :)

Oh no Pipsissiway, I hope you didn't take it the wrong way, I was actually saying it would be great to have such a list, database, no wasn't inferring it to be ridiculous at all, would be very good ... maybe someone has compiled one .... there would be ones for individuals I guess, to be beware of I reckon. Cheers :)

No offense was taken, I thought you might be teasing me a bit! I tease myself too on a daily basis, LOL. You just got me wondering whether in fact the Hermes Far Eastern Shining Light group and other cults are being monitored by a government agency in Australia, such as the FBI does here in the US, or whether it's left up to private organizations, as I believe is the case in Britain. (??)

No offense was taken, I thought you might be teasing me a bit! I tease myself too on a daily basis, LOL. You just got me wondering whether in fact the Hermes Far Eastern Shining Light group and other cults are being monitored by a government agency in Australia, such as the FBI does here in the US, or whether it's left up to private organizations, as I believe is the case in Britain. (??)
Phew, that's good, no wasn't teasing. Just had a look online and there have been calls for Cult Watchdogs here in Australia, not sure if there is one now, the civil libertarians usually go nuts about such things, so not sure. Oooh, just stumbled across this article from 1996 about a group, it's pretty interesting just the first few lines .... The Church That's Brainwashing Australians - Cheers

Phew, that's good, no wasn't teasing. Just had a look online and there have been calls for Cult Watchdogs here in Australia, not sure if there is one now, the civil libertarians usually go nuts about such things, so not sure. Oooh, just stumbled across this article from 1996 about a group, it's pretty interesting just the first few lines .... The Church That's Brainwashing Australians - Cheers

Took me a few minutes, but I read the entire article. Thank you for posting, Itsapuzzle. One paragraph in particular caught my eye:

Van Leen, McClelland and Mulle agree that the lack of accountability together with Australia's religious tolerance has aided the establishment of many manipulative sects. Even the so-called Japanese "doomsday cult", the Aum Shinri Kyo (Supreme Truth Sect), linked to the Tokyo subway gassing that left 12 people dead and thousands ill in March last year, established itself in Australia. There is still no legal remedy for parents trying to recover family members. "Only if these cults break existing common, civil or criminal laws," says McClelland, "do they face legal action."

So, if in fact, Marion did join a cult in 1997, there would have been no official monitoring of their members by the government. That's disappointing.

Have been thinking about the names Marion used in changing her name.
Marion was known for love of floral and antiques and paintings. Villeroy and Bosh have a range of FloraBella pattern dinner plates etc made in Luxembourg, the range ran from 1990 to 1994 when it was retired. I wonder if Marion collected any. Remakel is related to Luxembourg and the ad which the podcast is exploring next time. So two “possible” ties with her name change.
Natalia has me stumped, seems Russian in origin, I do wonder if she collected anything tied to Natalia?

Halfway through reading all of these posts and am up to episode 7 of the podcast - totally engrossed in this story!

Haven't seen this asked/answered anywhere yet so apologies if I've missed this; but I'm wondering if 'Florabella' had then gone on to do a subsequent name change by deed poll, would this have been detected by law enforcement/flagged in some way or could this have happened without somehow being noticed?

Natalia has me stumped, seems Russian in origin, I do wonder if she collected anything tied to Natalia?

Natalia was the name mentioned in the facebook message that Marion's daughter received is that right? It seems like Natalia could be the name to focus on - maybe she realised Florabella was way too out there to use day to day and Natalia was a more common and safe options, so she may be going by that?

Halfway through reading all of these posts and am up to episode 7 of the podcast - totally engrossed in this story!

Haven't seen this asked/answered anywhere yet so apologies if I've missed this; but I'm wondering if 'Florabella' had then gone on to do a subsequent name change by deed poll, would this have been detected by law enforcement/flagged in some way or could this have happened without somehow being noticed?
It is a curious case, that's for sure Sunnynz .... I did hear this mentioned in a recent episode of the podcast that the name hasn't been changed by Deed Poll again, however it was mentioned that she could be using a different name without having had another official legal name change. I do quite like the name Florabella, maybe said with a French accent for that added flourish, quite nice really.

Oh wow, wasn't Bonus Conversations 5 a great lead-in to the upcoming Episodes 10 and 11! How very mysterious and intriguing it all is. Looking forward to hearing how the case is developing. Loved this quote from Bryan too .... "strap yourself in, you're gonna come on this journey with us, and I promise you it's gonna be one worth taking"

Cannot wait for the next two episodes! Conversations this week made me feel like they may find her!

Great Find with the reunion info, definitely something to Pass on to the podcast people!

To whoever quoted me a few pages back , ive been trying to catch up as I’ve been busy for a few days and now I’ve lost what you wrote to try and quote it, but yes Mo def would be experienced in coming across nice as pie. He also laughed when looking at the pic ofMarion and said to Sally along the lines of from memory “sorry I can’t help you, Sweet” who wouldn’t laugh while saying that? Even if he does have nothing to do with it all that’s an odd thing to do imo!

Last edited:
Cannot wait for the next two episodes! Conversations this week made me feel like they may find her!

Great Find with the reunion info, definitely something to Pass on to the podcast people!

To whoever quoted me a few pages back , ive been trying to catch up as I’ve been busy for a few days and now I’ve lost what you wrote to try and quote it, but yes Mo def would be experienced in coming across nice as pie. He also laughed when looking at the pic ofMarion and said to Sally along the lines of from memory “sorry I can’t help you, Sweet” who wouldn’t laugh while saying that? Even if he does have nothing to do with it all that’s an odd thing to do imo!
WOULD**. Not wouldn’t! Too late to edit my post.

Oh wow, wasn't Bonus Conversations 5 a great lead-in to the upcoming Episodes 10 and 11! How very mysterious and intriguing it all is. Looking forward to hearing how the case is developing. Loved this quote from Bryan too .... "strap yourself in, you're gonna come on this journey with us, and I promise you it's gonna be one worth taking"

Think I heard them say Episode 10 comes out Monday. Looking forward to it. But I think any kind of final resolution is still some time away.

The thing that seems to be continuing to thwart them is NSW police's stance, and that obviously raises the question why they are taking the stance they are??

The thing that seems to be continuing to thwart them is NSW police's stance, and that obviously raises the question why they are taking the stance they are??

Yes, this is really confusing for me. Is this a case of the police force not wanting to lose face for suspending a case that they shouldn't have and now they're just digging their heels in? Or do they know more than they're letting on? I kind of think it's the former, I'm sure the cop has outright said that they don't know Marion's whereabouts right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419