Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #22

Assume it is okay to quote from the full findings?

73. Marion informed all her known friends and family that she intended to depart Australia by herself and travel to England for a working holiday. [...] She told family and friends that she intended to seek work in England as a teacher for around 6–12 months and then return to Australia to resume work as a teacher.

I have always found it hard to believe that Marion thought this was feasible as a visitor to the UK, unless persuaded behind the scenes by an expert in visa and immigration fraud that "it'll be fine". She was an Australian citizen with no dual EU citizenship; she had no employer in place to sponsor a UK work permit; she was too old for a working holiday visa anyway, despite what she said (max age 30); and even if she had the required UK-born grandparent for a UK Ancestry visa she does not appear to have applied for one. She could however live and work anywhere in the European Union (including the UK and Luxembourg) as the spouse of an EU national. Seems to me she was persuaded of that, or just blinded by the combo of his bluster and her romantic delusion.

Last edited:
Again - WHY would Marion be entering a shopping centre near Blums to get an INITIAL eye check ( NOT an eye issue consultation BUT a visit when you first go to get your eyes checked) with her medicare card under Barter, IF she didn't want anyone to know she was back in Australia
Spending at least 30 mins in an appointment with the likelihood of other people also waiting in there - and you dont want people to know you are back from OS???

Proof that someone wanted to show her back in Australia - IMO

Or just a straight up scam. Someone's eyes weren't great and they thought they'd blag an eye test and discount pair of glasses out of it? Confident in the knowledge that the real Marion Barter sure as heck wasn't contactable or going to turn up. Possibly, in order to imitate her even.

I wonder if a Power of Attorney was ever mentioned to Marion? Did he only use that ruse with JO?

If he took PoA over Marion's affairs, or even just started the ball rolling on it, where would that be documented and lodged?

I'm super hopeful that once Marion's case gets passed over as an unsolved murder to the relevant authorities, they will have far much more power to ask questions to all sorts of systems and institutions, including working internationally. Detectives will also have solid grounds to arrest and question Mr Aka now.

If he took PoA over Marion's affairs, or even just started the ball rolling on it, where would that be documented and lodged?

I'm super hopeful that once Marion's case gets passed over as an unsolved murder to the relevant authorities, they will have far much more power to ask questions to all sorts of systems and institutions, including working internationally. Detectives will also have solid grounds to arrest and question Mr Aka now.
That is what I’m thinking. Can they do a search for Power of Attorney’s in his various names or do they only show in any search just the Donor’s name?

Again from the full findings, showing that the coroner is struck by Marion's active deception of her family, which smacks both of coercion and of RB's MO with later victims.

181. [...] There is no evidence that she made any particular plans as to where she would stay or live while overseas. When she left for England in June 1997 she conveyed to family and friends that her intentions were that she was embarking on an overseas working holiday.

182. Despite what Marion told her family and friends, on 22 June 1997, when Marion left the country as Florabella, she completed her outgoing passenger card and indicated that she was departing Australia permanently [for Luxembourg]. She stated her occupation not as a teacher, but as “home duties”.

183. While overseas she represented to family and friends in correspondence and a phone call that she was enjoying her holiday, was travelling by herself, and had deferred her plan to travel on the Orient Express. She certainly did not inform any family or friends that she had changed her name or had any intention to live in Europe permanently. She also did not offer any information that would suggest any reason to return home to Australia in August 1997.

Again - WHY would Marion be entering a shopping centre near Blums to get an INITIAL eye check ( NOT an eye issue consultation BUT a visit when you first go to get your eyes checked) with her medicare card under Barter, IF she didn't want anyone to know she was back in Australia
Spending at least 30 mins in an appointment with the likelihood of other people also waiting in there - and you dont want people to know you are back from OS???

Proof that someone wanted to show her back in Australia - IMO
or. . . Marion did this, consciously or subconsciously, to leave a bread crumb trail. Just like the Narita notepaper.

MB's handbag was stolen with her identity in Sept 1996. A woman withdrew money from an ATM using her stolen bank card. Photo from bank showed this woman had dark flowing hair and resembled MB. Whaaat???

Was MB in someone's sights months before the 'official' meeting in 1997? Two people working together?

That is what I’m thinking. Can they do a search for Power of Attorney’s in his various names or do they only show in any search just the Donor’s name?
You don’t need to register a PoA in Australia. I could literally download and print a form. Back when I completed one in around 2001 I could write one up then myself and the PoA sign it. There was no need for a third party to witness it.

Of course that has changed now and you need 2 witnesses.

So it is entirely possible that MB had one but guess we will never know.

Sally will now have access to her mothers will, although I assume if there was anything in there that raised any eyes the lawyer would have already passed that over to police by now.

You don’t need to register a PoA in Australia. I could literally download and print a form. Back when I completed one in around 2001 I could write one up then myself and the PoA sign it. There was no need for a third party to witness it.

Of course that has changed now and you need 2 witnesses.

So it is entirely possible that MB had one but guess we will never know.
Yes still as easy to do today.
He would have plenty of associates to witness it if he chose to do that. JPs a dime a dozen in his line of "work"

At paragraph 265 it states Aka admitted in his Police interview that he did travel to England in June/July 1997. I had the impression from the Inquest he had distanced himself away from England and was down in the South of France etc. Did the Police during that interview not ask him where he travelled to in England? It seems such an obvious follow up question.

MB's handbag was stolen with her identity in Sept 1996. A woman withdrew money from an ATM using her stolen bank card. Photo from bank showed this woman had dark flowing hair and resembled MB. Whaaat???

Was MB in someone's sights months before the 'official' meeting in 1997? Two people working together?

Wonder if she'd properly met him somehow by Sept 96 and he'd robbed her back then ?

Must have been at his house (in his possession) otherwise why would he have spun that story about her coming to pick them up with the “pilot in uniform”
That's what I believe too.
He made the story up about Marion and the pilot coming.

He most likely all those years later wasn't sure if anything of Marion's remained in his possession.

I wonder if anything of Marion's may have either been kept or given to family or friends.

I'm thinking of the Ivan Milat case, where he had a heap of stuff belonging to his victims and his family member was in a photo wearing a top that belonged to a victim.

I think he also lied about Marion ringing him.
No way she would have known his phone number, or where he lived.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back