Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #22

That's what I believe too.
He made the story up about Marion and the pilot coming.

He most likely all those years later wasn't sure if anything of Marion's remained in his possession.

I wonder if anything of Marion's may have either been kept or given to family or friends.

I'm thinking of the Ivan Milat case, where he had a heap of stuff belonging to his victims and his family member was in a photo wearing a top that belonged to a victim.

I think he also lied about Marion ringing him.
No way she would have known his phone number, or where he lived.
100% agree, given how he tried to deny so many other connections to his victims, that were later exposed; he even denied knowing of Marion in the first police interview and he tried to minimise the number of times he met with her, there’s no way he would have acknowledged any other connection to her unless he felt he absolutely had to or was covering up for something much worse.

Unfortunately, the authorities have generously given him ample time to dispose of incriminating items. I hope he has given something to someone who feels safe enough to come forward.

Must have been at his house (in his possession) otherwise why would he have spun that story about her coming to pick them up with the “pilot in uniform”
Yes totally at his house and also sold off to various mates with second hand shops in the areas IMO

He lied about Marion coming to his house - that would NEVER have happened but he had to account for her belongings being there with his family living there IMO
Nor would Marion have his home number. Its all BS
The whole Pilot BS he gleaned from the BOE

Yes totally at his house and also sold off to various mates with second hand shops in the areas IMO

He lied about Marion coming to his house - that would NEVER have happened but he had to account for her belongings being there with his family living there IMO
Nor would Marion have his home number. Its all BS
The whole Pilot BS he gleaned from the BOE
I wonder if Sally got hold of anyone who used to own antique shops that remember him? It could hold vital info about him and his coming and goings. I also wonder if the cops will ask any of the auction sites about his sales..

I wonder if Sally got hold of anyone who used to own antique shops that remember him? It could hold vital info about him and his coming and goings. I also wonder if the cops will ask any of the auction sites about his sales..
There was a deep dive into some of the 2nd hand shops and their owners along the coast.
I think one of the sleuths sent it all to SL to check out.

I have just read the full coroners report . Especially the part about Marion returning to Australia on Aug 2nd. I think I had read all of this before but now believe Marion did return to Australia! I seem to remember that the Marion Barter Missing page was looking at rentals etc around the Ballina /Byron area during the August to October timeframe. Surely this has to be the key missing piece of the puzzle. Marion had to be hidden away somewhere in the Northern Rivers during that time. What would convince her to hide out ? What name would her rental be under? She wasn't staying at AKA's family home. No doubt Sally and co have already totally investigated this .

I have just read the full coroners report . Especially the part about Marion returning to Australia on Aug 2nd. I think I had read all of this before but now believe Marion did return to Australia! I seem to remember that the Marion Barter Missing page was looking at rentals etc around the Ballina /Byron area during the August to October timeframe. Surely this has to be the key missing piece of the puzzle. Marion had to be hidden away somewhere in the Northern Rivers during that time. What would convince her to hide out ? What name would her rental be under? She wasn't staying at AKA's family home. No doubt Sally and co have already totally investigated this .
Im sure they have!

It could also be that AH himself or with wife, had been using this accommodation to orchestrate a plan to start withdrawing funds without interruptions and for changes in appearances.... JMO of course

Marion knew the BB area, she had frequented it at times I remember reading on the page sometime back. Even IF she was hiding in a room somewhere, she would have had to have been out everyday to get that money.....WHY take those risks every single day, sometimes twice a day, IF she was worried someone would see her?? And even IF she used a different name at some accommodation wouldnt the people who owned the accommodation come forward??? Given her face is now everywhere

Makes no sense to me that she hid away in accommodation somewhere for near on 2 months.....

Just read the Coroners Report, although be watching ,reading the report still blew me away.
I feel Rick Blum played on her fears. Or even make it a surprise for your son's birthday.
I spoke to a few people who travel to Gold Coast / Byron Bay in the 1990's there were people rented out rooms/boarding house did rooms for cash. Many of these earnings would not been declared for Taxation. You could find these places for rent in shopping Centers bill board ,newspapers Bus Stations, Roma Street Station for Fire fly bus Service I remember there was one. My Friend said they stay at places like this in Byron Bay and Queensland. To descibe the cheap place I stand in one in Sydney late 1989's, scared me so moved back to hotel ,one night was enough, no one asked your name (you could give any one) I rang the name found on Billboard, told to met me at such and such street, picked me up with other international travelers, we basicly were dropped of at house at Bondi, he took our money $25.00, open door let us in five rooms Stacked with Bunk Beds, no locks on doors then he drove off Ran down the street started calling hotels all booked up, another Girl who was not happy she manage to get a room at YWCA, Oxford Street Hotel. that night was leaving. She was paying for a room for herself with shared Three Bathrooms on the floor .from memory it was about $30, I rang them, manage to get a room /shared Bathroom next day, they said I could wait in the Foyer at 8am until person checked out/prepared room. So scared, that night hardly slept(Only 18 years old) left at the crack of dawn got to Hotel 6,30am, Manager was so kind got me to have breakfast , tidy myself in Restrooms they informed me the room be ready a 9am. When ever I was in Sydney, I stay at the YWCA the room was a Hotel room which surprised me as it was so nice although next time I stay at there and after paid a bit more to have the motel room with bathroom. Never told my Grandparents what i did, but friends did tell there were places like this in Queensland ,Marion could have stay at one if she wanted to stay under the radar, book a room ,hotel even pubs had rooms above and in Queensland and other States you just paid Cash. I wondered if they did check the Pubs if Marion stayed there. IMO

Coroner’s report para 126;

From the records that are available, Marion had a customer profile that indicated she had first become a customer of the bank in 1991. The residential and mailing address recorded in 2001, which is the time the profile was considered to be established due to the acquisition of the bank in 2000, was “Barclays Bank, Mint St, Rye, London, United Kingdom”. There have been no changes to this address since the profile was opened. I accept the submissions of Counsel Assisting that given Marion planned to travel and work in England, it is likely she informed the bank of her travel plans and changed her forwarding address.

This screams Aka involvement. He once lived a short drive away from Rye. He admitted to visiting Rye. He mentioned The Beatles link to Rye.

Marion would know very little, if anything, about this small & quaint harbour town in East Sussex. Why on Earth would she choose that herself as her bank mailing address in the UK? This was 100% his choice

or. . . Marion did this, consciously or subconsciously, to leave a bread crumb trail. Just like the Narita notepaper.
Yes possibly.

But I have a different view of why she used that note paper - He suggested it, to put another trail in the mix should anyone come looking for her.

I ask myself WHY would he give Marion notepaper from Hotel Nikko Narita ? Her own flight over didn't go to Japan - only via S.Korea - So WHY would he put himself in the firing line, and give it to her knowing she is writing to her family on it - (dated 30 June from Kent), WHEN he has gone to great lengths to hide so much of them being together before they both left?

Him using Japan Airlines and staying at this hotel that trip ( potentially) , he knows the ins and outs of that place. He isn't about to take Marion to the very hotel he frequents for his various trips over the years on Japan Airlines and jeopardise what ever plan he has for her - he has gone to great lengths for this woman. She has changed her name for him, lied to her family, kept him a secret from Sally and other family members and her friends.

She hasn't even arrived yet to the destination he wants her to go to - some small village in the middle of country UK - for whatever reason.

He isn't going to jeopodise his grand plan by taking her to the very hotel so well known to him and no doubt he to the hotel staff.

He used that notepaper as a decoy IMO

Marion saying on her correspondence to Sally "had an interesting visit to the east" - IMO is Korea - and he was with her there IMO

From the records that are available, Marion had a customer profile that indicated she had first become a customer of the bank in 1991. The residential and mailing address recorded in 2001, which is the time the profile was considered to be established due to the acquisition of the bank in 2000, was “Barclays Bank, Mint St, Rye, London, United Kingdom”. There have been no changes to this address since the profile was opened. I accept the submissions of Counsel Assisting that given Marion planned to travel and work in England, it is likely she informed the bank of her travel plans and changed her forwarding address.

This screams Aka involvement. He once lived a short drive away from Rye. He admitted to visiting Rye. He mentioned The Beatles link to Rye.

Marion would know very little, if anything, about this small & quaint harbour town in East Sussex. Why on Earth would she choose that herself as her bank mailing address in the UK? This was 100% his choice
Agree 100%.
AND I was so glad that the Rye Bank was again brought up on the report because SO MANY people believed that it was a bank account she opened there! And it never was - that was explained so early on in the case but that rumour kept returning!

And yep ALL his doings - reeks of him!!!

He had a plan for her over there - what was it???

Agree 100%.
AND I was so glad that the Rye Bank was again brought up on the report because SO MANY people believed that it was a bank account she opened there! And it never was - that was explained so early on in the case but that rumour kept returning!

And yep ALL his doings - reeks of him!!!

He had a plan for her over there - what was it???
My memory is not good. Did she return before or after him?

I agree with this.

Yes possibly.

But I have a different view of why she used that note paper - He suggested it, to put another trail in the mix should anyone come looking for her.

I ask myself WHY would he give Marion notepaper from Hotel Nikko Narita ? Her own flight over didn't go to Japan - only via S.Korea - So WHY would he put himself in the firing line, and give it to her knowing she is writing to her family on it - (dated 30 June from Kent), WHEN he has gone to great lengths to hide so much of them being together before they both left?

Him using Japan Airlines and staying at this hotel that trip ( potentially) , he knows the ins and outs of that place. He isn't about to take Marion to the very hotel he frequents for his various trips over the years on Japan Airlines and jeopardise what ever plan he has for her - he has gone to great lengths for this woman. She has changed her name for him, lied to her family, kept him a secret from Sally and other family members and her friends.

She hasn't even arrived yet to the destination he wants her to go to - some small village in the middle of country UK - for whatever reason.

He isn't going to jeopodise his grand plan by taking her to the very hotel so well known to him and no doubt he to the hotel staff.

He used that notepaper as a decoy IMO

Marion saying on her correspondence to Sally "had an interesting visit to the east" - IMO is Korea - and he was with her there IMO
You may be right, @mishy66. You know the details much better than I. However, I don't give AKA that much credit to plant stationery. He's sly, I admit, but he's also a man of opportunity. This is 1997. No one had any idea that someday newspaper and passenger card databases could be searched. Or that the Remakel name could be tracked. For me, the simplest explanation is that Marion found the notepaper and used it.**** That's the breadcrumb. Not that she was ever there. AKA couldn't think of everything, and we know he has to have slipped up more than once.

*****FWIW -- hotel notepaper was quite a thing in the 20th C. We collected it, used it long after our trips. It was a status symbol, but also just cool. Hotel notepaper was not the little pads you now find maybe on a bedside table. It was often engraved and quite beautiful. I could certainly see Marion using it because it was beautiful and exotic.

It's extraordinary that RB still hasn't been arrested. Apart from the compelling circumstantial evidence linking him to MB's disappearance he's lied under oath, scammed and stolen from multiple women, travelled using documents not in his legal name and claimed an invalid pension while travelling extensively in perfect health on his own for weeks on end year after year.

If he isn't convicted for something then the door is open to any chancer who fancies playing the same games. IMO

It's extraordinary that RB still hasn't been arrested. Apart from the compelling circumstantial evidence linking him to MB's disappearance he's lied under oath, scammed and stolen from multiple women, travelled using documents not in his legal name and claimed an invalid pension while travelling extensively in perfect health on his own for weeks on end year after year.

If he isn't convicted for something then the door is open to any chancer who fancies playing the same games. IMO
IMHO they have more than enough to charge him. The delay is even more frustrating when you consider his age. It’s about time NSW Police pulled their finger out and gave Marion and her family some justice. They have waited far far too long.

I’ve said before but part of me wonders whether Law Enforcement etc hope they can wash their hands of the whole debacle should he pass away in the meantime.

Yes, agree 100%. Justice needs to be done especially for SL & family, but also the wider, law-abiding community who are told to have faith in the legal system yet still have to sit by watching a known criminal profit from his crimes and get away with murder (literally probably)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uncommongrackle
Back