Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #22

I wholly support this line of investigation. Good luck, sleuths! Sadly, for me, what I know of Marion and AKA, and Glyndebourne -- I can't imagine AKA indulging Marion and accompanying her there. I can imagine him discouraging her from attending with some BS rationale. I feel like had she attended, she definitely would have shared the experience back home. For me, the curbing and isolating of Marion is a big part of the tragedy-- from the beginning. I hope I'm wrong.
Yes probably but anything is worth a follow up.

I remember Marion saying how much she shopped in her postcards. Mixing with communities in those little villages was something she obviously did. I can see her attending something like this, even by herself and enjoying the cultural aspect of her holiday.

It may be an impossible task to find any photographs of her over in the UK but as we have seen it was near impossible to link his alias name to hers way back without Joni deleting all those spaces between letters in that advert.

I'm up for investigating any leads to help find Marion

Yes probably but anything is worth a follow up.

I remember Marion saying how much she shopped in her postcards. Mixing with communities in those little villages was something she obviously did. I can see her attending something like this, even by herself and enjoying the cultural aspect of her holiday.

It may be an impossible task to find any photographs of her over in the UK but as we have seen it was near impossible to link his alias name to hers way back without Joni deleting all those spaces between letters in that advert.

I'm up for investigating any leads to help find Marion
Yes! 100% -- I wasn't naysaying. Just thinking of Glyndebourne and Marion made me sad all over again. Of all that England was meant to be and that she was shackled from the beginning. Just me.

Laura Richards will also do a summary of the Inquest findings.

"I just listened to the final The Lady Vanishes episode about the Findings from the Coroners Inquest. I have to say I got choke up at the end.

In 2019 when I was first asked to analyze Marion’s case barely anyone knew about Marion. Now they do thanks to Alison, Bryan & team The Lady Vanishes & the amazing warrior & shero Sally.

Sally always knew her mother would not have left her and Owen. New South Wales Police dismissed her concerns & failed to investigate.

In fact it was worse than that, they marked her up as located & told Sally & Owen she didn’t want them in her life. Owen ended his life because of what they told him.

Sally has never received an apology from New South Wales Police. I believe it’s time she did. There was no investigation for more than 10 years. Vital evidence was lost which has had a catastrophic impact on the case.

I have more to say & will drop an episode once I have analysed & processed the 168 page Coroner’s Findings Report.

Marion deserved so much better as does Sally & family."

So so true - The Byron Bay NSW Police should be held accountable for their actions. Haven't even given an apology to Sally Leydon. Hopefully there are grounds to sue them, if thats at all possible.

On the penultimate podcast episode TLV team says that Sally has asked for the podcast to end at this point, on the MPMB FB page someone asked why it’s ending and Joni said that they should ask on the TLV FB page.

So it’s a little unclear. Either way, I wish them all well and hope the police take it seriously from here and that Sally and Joni get the information they’re hoping for from their trip. I’m looking forward to the live events.

On the penultimate podcast episode TLV team says that Sally has asked for the podcast to end at this point, on the MPMB FB page someone asked why it’s ending and Joni said that they should ask on the TLV FB page.

So it’s a little unclear. Either way, I wish them all well and hope the police take it seriously from here and that Sally and Joni get the information they’re hoping for from their trip. I’m looking forward to the live events.
I think its more that J doesn't want any TLV Qs asked on the MB FB page because they are now 2 separate arms.

If it wasn't for the podcast and money dropped by 7 and all of the international leads and finding those victims who came forward, then it probs would never have led to the inquest.

I read that the book is the TLV way of recouping some of the money spent and that the money raised on these talks S & J are hosting, their go fund me page a while back set up to raise funds for the flights, the T -Shirts being sold etc etc etc will be money spent of the OS trip - it has kind of become a 'show' of it own :(

Kind of sad really. There was an obvious fracture last year on the pages - you could see it in the comments from J.
Personally I think a clash of the Lions in each camp.
Even in the accuracy of the story, it was difficult because at times both camps told differing 'truths'. Makes it hard to know what is really accurate given this whole case is filled with lies and holes by RB.

But without TLV team there is no way they could have got to where they are today. I think Sally is forever grateful for the TLV team and still very much a team there. JMO on what I have read

This is a classic example of money is the root of all evil - at the end of the day, money is always going to trump.

Sad to see it all end up like this.

I wholly support this line of investigation. Good luck, sleuths! Sadly, for me, what I know of Marion and AKA, and Glyndebourne -- I can't imagine AKA indulging Marion and accompanying her there. I can imagine him discouraging her from attending with some BS rationale. I feel like had she attended, she definitely would have shared the experience back home. For me, the curbing and isolating of Marion is a big part of the tragedy-- from the beginning. I hope I'm wrong.
You are probably right MrsEmmaPeel. We know he didn’t like spending money, especially on others. On the other hand Marion appeared to be a prolific writer so I’ve no doubt there are missing postcards and letters from her stay in the UK.

I’m just trying to picture Marion going to Alfriston. How did she get there? How did she know about the little village? What did she do before and after her visit there that day? Was she accompanied? When did she write the Alfriston postcard? When did she post it and where? Was she aware of Glyndebourne from her love of opera? Did she realise Glyndebourne was just up the road?

On the Alfriston postcard we also have Marion’s comment about seeing her first red squirrel. Red squirrels do not exist in Kent or East/West Sussex. You would have to go South across to the Isle of Wight. On the turn off to Alfriston on the A27 she would have passed Drusillas Park Zoo but as far as I know they don’t keep red squirrels there. Was he feeding her imagination driving along in the hire car with his knowledge of the area even if it was a load of old baloney.

Perhaps they should have thrown a curveball question to him at the inquest ‘Mr B, have you ever seen a red squirrel in the UK?’

So weirdly I know of a number of Australian tourists who visited Alfriston as a point on their journey to the coast and the south downs area generally. This includes my parents did this in the 90s, my aunt and uncle, friends of theirs from work, and other Aussies I have spoken to over the years when discussing this region. My parents then took me there in about 2010 on a family journey to Hastings and Dover saying “oh we must go to Alfriston!” There was a church there with amazing stained glass window with a story behind it I remember. Aussies love well-preserved little villages because we don’t have anything like them. it could have been on suggested itineraries, or maybe it was a location in a lonely planet guidebook or something.

Obviously I look at every place she went with suspicion, and assume ulterior motives, but also wanted to say that it’s not as odd or obscure a choice as you might think for a foreigner who loves the quaintness and Englishness of places.

I wonder if old mate had stuff buried around that region?

I still have suspicions about him lifting stuff from historic venues in the area at some point (as MC claimed ) . The track record of historic items going walking from churches, church yards and small museums in that area is somewhat constant

IMO

Even after all that has happened more recently
Even after some information that was online regarding his businesses have now gone
Even after the world is waking up to who and what he is

He STILL has this - decades have past and this is still active

It is very important to him
Money tied up somewhere

You are probably right MrsEmmaPeel. We know he didn’t like spending money, especially on others. On the other hand Marion appeared to be a prolific writer so I’ve no doubt there are missing postcards and letters from her stay in the UK.

I’m just trying to picture Marion going to Alfriston. How did she get there? How did she know about the little village? What did she do before and after her visit there that day? Was she accompanied? When did she write the Alfriston postcard? When did she post it and where? Was she aware of Glyndebourne from her love of opera? Did she realise Glyndebourne was just up the road?

On the Alfriston postcard we also have Marion’s comment about seeing her first red squirrel. Red squirrels do not exist in Kent or East/West Sussex. You would have to go South across to the Isle of Wight. On the turn off to Alfriston on the A27 she would have passed Drusillas Park Zoo but as far as I know they don’t keep red squirrels there. Was he feeding her imagination driving along in the hire car with his knowledge of the area even if it was a load of old baloney.

Perhaps they should have thrown a curveball question to him at the inquest ‘Mr B, have you ever seen a red squirrel in the UK?’
Red herrings! and now Red Squirrels! Your perspective @Lord Peter Flimsy has been invaluable to us all. I did google Alriston, out of curiousity, and it did pop up as one of the most popular villages to visit because of its quaintness and the Clergy House, which was the very first NT property. If RB were trying to amuse Marion in a small inexpensive way, he could have taken her begrudgingly to Alfriston.

In the last TLV episode (last ever) I found the part where Brian tells Sally -- with heartfelt and genuine emotion-- how much she has meant to him, really moving. But then Sally deflects and her return remark does not acknowledge his sentiment but instead is about the case or her mother. This may be Sally's way of protecting herself, or it could mean something deeper about the relationship of Sally and TLV staff.

For my part, I will miss having TLV episodes about Sally and Joni's journey. (Nosy me!) For their part, it may make their investigations easier and more pleasant, than to have a crew trailing them. This new phase for Sally may be crucial to her healing and her personal sanity. Now it's her very personal journey (retracing Marion's last steps) not a project that belongs to a TV station, where they call the shots and itinerary.

Red herrings! and now Red Squirrels! Your perspective @Lord Peter Flimsy has been invaluable to us all. I did google Alriston, out of curiousity, and it did pop up as one of the most popular villages to visit because of its quaintness and the Clergy House, which was the very first NT property. If RB were trying to amuse Marion in a small inexpensive way, he could have taken her begrudgingly to Alfriston.
Although I’ve lived and worked in the area since childhood and been a NT member Alfriston has so far escaped me. So many beautiful and quaint villages in Kent & Sussex with such long histories. I will now have to go and visit.

I’m sure light fingered Fredy enjoyed visiting the antique shops in Rye & Alfriston showing off his extensive ‘knowledge’ to Marion.
The Alfriston postcard also mentions those school scales again. I’m guessing from that the visit to Alfriston came early on in July 97.

Even after all that has happened more recently
Even after some information that was online regarding his businesses have now gone
Even after the world is waking up to who and what he is

He STILL has this - decades have past and this is still active

It is very important to him
Money tied up somewhere

"Someone's been using my name"!!!
RENOV PUBS = Shell company for hiding stolen money.
A forensic accountant needs to investigate, just hope they will...

"Someone's been using my name"!!!
RENOV PUBS = Shell company for hiding stolen money.
A forensic accountant needs to investigate, just hope they will...
You would have thought that Law Enforcement would have been all over this company. The fact so little still seems to be known about this company I find very strange.

Although I’ve lived and worked in the area since childhood and been a NT member Alfriston has so far escaped me. So many beautiful and quaint villages in Kent & Sussex with such long histories. I will now have to go and visit.

I’m sure light fingered Fredy enjoyed visiting the antique shops in Rye & Alfriston showing off his extensive ‘knowledge’ to Marion.
The Alfriston postcard also mentions those school scales again. I’m guessing from that the visit to Alfriston came early on in July 97.
Probably another red herring (apologies if it's been flagged already) but came across this from Feb 1997 in SFGate:

I'm sure all the oast house accommodation available in 1997 will have been contacted by SL, but this just seemed tucked away and remote - the sort of place RB would choose.

In the last TLV episode (last ever) I found the part where Brian tells Sally -- with heartfelt and genuine emotion-- how much she has meant to him, really moving. But then Sally deflects and her return remark does not acknowledge his sentiment but instead is about the case or her mother. This may be Sally's way of protecting herself, or it could mean something deeper about the relationship of Sally and TLV staff.

For my part, I will miss having TLV episodes about Sally and Joni's journey. (Nosy me!) For their part, it may make their investigations easier and more pleasant, than to have a crew trailing them. This new phase for Sally may be crucial to her healing and her personal sanity. Now it's her very personal journey (retracing Marion's last steps) not a project that belongs to a TV station, where they call the shots and itinerary.
Yes something gone astray with the 2 camps in their quest for searching for answers :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back