Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 March 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there was a mobile signal in that area, was there? I think if anyone was called, any perp would have had to drive quite a way to get a mobile signal.

And then, if they are a 'known' person they could have been leaving a trackable mobile footprint for the police to follow - one that would put them in the vicinity at the time. Unless they had the smarts to leave their mobile phone at home, or disconnect it from all GPS as well as turn it off.

Yes, you're right. Oh well, I'll have to think again.

If there was an accomplice that was brought in after the fact, they could have been contacted via radio.
yes, the radio could have been a major factor in this case with also the possibility that RH's nightly radio contact to his friends tipped off a predator(s) to RH and CC whereabouts and camping plans.

Last edited:
Did anyone except Russell's wife and their friend Robin Something hear Russell speaking on the radio that night?
Apparently at least four of Russell's friends listened in to his nightly radio calls.
This was posted by the Wireless Institute of Australia:
Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2218 for Friday May 1 2020

AUSTRALIA AMATEUR, FRIEND DISAPPEAR ON CAMPING TRIP

JIM/ANCHOR: Our top story is a developing story and a possible tragedy: As Newsline went to production, detectives in Australia were searching for an amateur radio operator missing in the Australian bush. Robert Broomhead VK3DN has the details.

ROBERT: Detectives in Victoria, Australia have been combing the remote region where an amateur radio operator with a serious medical condition disappeared during a recent camping trip. The Missing Persons Squad has been searching for Russell Hill VK3VZP and a family friend, Carol Clay, who have not been seen since the fire erupted at their campsite in the bush, authorities said. The fire destroyed a table, a tent and some camp chairs and left Russell's vehicle scorched. According to a report on ABCNet Australia, Russell was last heard on the air on using his Icom IC-706 Mark 2G on the 20th of March on 3670 kHz. Authorities said that he and four of his mates would check in with one another on the frequency every evening at 1800 hours.

Yes, but did they all listen in on that particular night?

I get the impression that they did. But it is possible that no others heard. The police are looking for other witnesses to any radio communications, whether that means at that specific time or any time during or since Russell and Carol went missing.

Mr Hill last made contact with his wife and friends on March 20 via radio from Wonnangatta Station.
He was expected to radio the group again the following night.

Mr Hill used an amateur HAM radio call sign VK3-VZP across a number of channels when he went camping.
Police are urging anyone who can recall hearing any radio communications by Mr Hill to contact them.

Police say drone could hold vital clues about disappearance of elderly campers

Victoria Police seeks assistance from the Amateur Community

Yes, but did they all listen in on that particular night?
I am trying to figure out what you're driving at...anyone could have tuned into Russell's last radio call to his friends--his wife was apparently listening in that evening. Some ham radio enthusiasts spend a lot of time just listening in on radio wave conversations...nothing nefarious...just nosy behavior. However, transmitting relevant personal information (specific whereabouts and activity plans) in an extremely remote area on a public forum like the ham radio could be risky...since anyone could take the information anonymously and use it for their benefit.

Last edited:
I get the impression that they did. But it is possible that no others heard. The police are looking for other witnesses to any radio communications, whether that means at that specific time or any time during or since Russell and Carol went missing.

Mr Hill last made contact with his wife and friends on March 20 via radio from Wonnangatta Station.
He was expected to radio the group again the following night.

Mr Hill used an amateur HAM radio call sign VK3-VZP across a number of channels when he went camping.
Police are urging anyone who can recall hearing any radio communications by Mr Hill to contact them.

Police say drone could hold vital clues about disappearance of elderly campers

Victoria Police seeks assistance from the Amateur Community
The investigators could possibly find a few people who were on the frequency listening into RH's last contact with friends and family...but that wouldn't necessarily provide any clues to who else might have also tuned into the conversation.

I am trying to figure out what you're driving at...anyone could have tuned into Russell's last radio call to his friends--his wife was apparently listening in that evening. Some ham radio enthusiasts spend a lot of time just listening in on radio wave conversations...nothing nefarious...just nosy behavior. However, transmitting relevant personal information (specific whereabouts and activity plans) in an extremely remote area on a public forum like the ham radio could be risky...since anyone could take the information anonymously and use it for their benefit.

BBM I agree

The thing that I find unusual in this case is that there have been no family appeals for assistance.
I am not sure why that would be.

Evidently Russell's wife thinks he is dead. Do his kids feel the same? And what about Carol's family? What do they think?

Has everyone (else) just given up on them?

I've been thinking that too. Where are the appeals for information and the family members coming forward. The mystery family members.
Seems the only ones speaking out are Carol's friends. And Russells friend. No family members.

It also seems strange that we seem to know nothing about the family members, ie Carol's exhusband.
I can't recall a case where so little, if any is mentioned about the family members.

The thing that I find unusual in this case is that there have been no family appeals for assistance.
I am not sure why that would be.

Evidently Russell's wife thinks he is dead. Do his kids feel the same? And what about Carol's family? What do they think?

I've been thinking that too. Where are the appeals for information and the family members coming forward. The mystery family members.
Seems the only ones speaking out are Carol's friends. And Russells friend. No family members.

It also seems strange that we seem to know nothing about the family members, ie Carol's exhusband.
I can't recall a case where so little, if any is mentioned about the family members.
The rugged beyond the bounds of civilization where RH and CC disappeared might impact family and friends sense of hope of ever finding them.

I meant to add to my previous post--people search based on hope. In this case, there was little to no hope of finding RH and CC after LE did an intense highly trained search of the area with multiple agencies, dog, drones, and skilled recovery experts.

Tootsie Footsie...just a thought...if the family members of RH and CC think (based on LE theories) that RH and CC were victims of homicide--perhaps they have avoided media exposure in fear that they might also end up being preyed on. The unexplained possible reasons for RH and CC disappearance might have affected both their families with a sense of needing to remain publicly invisible.

Yes, you point out some good and curious aspects of this case. What's also interesting is there was no effort to remove identifying information about who the campers were at the burnt out campsite; personal items belonging to both Russell and Carol were found in their truck--seemingly untouched, and the vehicle ownership was also easily traced back to Russell. Apparently, the total destruction of the tent and it's contents inside, along with items around the tent area--chairs, table, etc...was the focused extent of the damage--the portable shower/toilet seems to appear undamaged. IMO, the tent ambush theory (RH and CC were attacked while sleeping) seems problematic...since the investigators apparently didn't find blood evidence anywhere around the campsite, unless RH and CC were simply woken up and led away unharmed. The bonfire appearance of the fire seems strange to me. It looks like a well contained and controlled fire--why burn up the camp chairs and table? Did the killer leave their dna on the chairs and table after sharing a meal with RH and CC..? I find the fact that Carol had recently closed on a new home also of interest since buying and moving into a new home usually indicates some major life changes. The heart and skin health problems of RH also seem important to this case, since apparently he was taking several different medications and wasn't able to walk a long distance...making it unlikely that he went by foot searching for his lost drone. I agree with you, the likelihood that a killer could plan perfectly a double murder, thinking to stage the scene with confusing evidence while leaving no forensic evidence seems beyond reasonable to me too.
I tried to search for 'key' but the word is too short: where/how easily was the truck key found?

It occurs to me, the most valuable object at the campsite was the truck. Could someone have intended to steal it, ransacked the camp for the key, unable to find it set the fire to hide fingerprints and out of anger?

Also occurs to me, when police state foul play is involved, IMO that would include murder-suicide, it can't be ruled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419