Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 March 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
if I indulge in 4Erica’s theory for a moment, which to be honest is something I’ve really leaned towards too, then perhaps the hit-man was instructed to take the bank cards to prevent them being stolen and used by some random unscrupulous person who might accidentally come across the camp and decide to pinch them? I mean, it’s not like the cards could’ve been reported/cancelled straight away, so they’d have to remain ‘active’ until the police were involved, etc. Taking them would prevent them being used.

I always thought Russells wife being involved didn't make much sense, at their age why rock the boat? It's something you normally only see from younger wives, materialism. Although-

What is her work history? Family associates? Does she have the ability to make contact with someone who would commit murder for money? These are things I doubt looking at a sweet old lady, but perhaps she used to work in the prison system. Maybe her family/extended family is unsavoury (would account for the family silence too).

I have to admit though that it is interesting the cards were taken. Surely most people are clued in on what the capabilities of technology being traced is these days.

So what was the point? If it was to prevent spending surely it would be better to leave the cards there to avoid drawing any suspicions like concerns about money being spent towards yourself. Surely the bank would refund that money in good faith in the case of a murder. If Russell was very well off It's also likely he had several accounts and I find it unlikely his lifes savings were accessible off one card which you need a PIN to spend anything significant on anyway.

A few things make sense if the wife was involved. A lot don't.

My two step-siblings' grandparent left them an inner-city house between them. And the equivalent to many other grandchildren, and plenty to the children too. I don't get the impression that Russell, living in Drouin, was that kind of wealthy.

We have a local bloke here gets around in a car far less valuable than Russells. He's worth 500mill. A lot of people, especially country, or older 'built my company from the ground up' people don't go for ostentatious displays of wealth. Doesn't matter what postcode they live in.

Well, all we know is that they both have 'large and loving families'. We haven't seen a hair or a whisker of any of them (except a pic of Russell holding a young child).

While I doubt Russells Wife was involved, the family silence does make you wonder if It's calculated. Either on the side of the police or because the family is 'dodgy' and may sway public opinion. Although in that case you'd expect Russels to speak out. IMO people normally only stay quiet when it's too their own benefit.

Last edited:
I always thought Russells wife being involved didn't make much sense, at their age why rock the boat? It's something you normally only see from younger wives, materialism. Although-

What is her work history? Family associates? Does she have the ability to make contact with someone who would commit murder for money? These are things I doubt looking at a sweet old lady, but perhaps she used to work in the prison system. Maybe her family/extended family is unsavoury (would account for the family silence too).

I have to admit though that it is interesting the cards were taken. Surely most people are clued in on what the capabilities of technology being traced is these days.

So what was the point? If it was to prevent spending surely it would be better to leave the cards there to avoid drawing any suspicions like concerns about money being spent towards yourself. Surely the bank would refund that money in good faith in the case of a murder. If Russell was very well off It's also likely he had several accounts and I find it unlikely his lifes savings were accessible off one card which you need a PIN to spend anything significant on anyway.

A few things make sense if the wife was involved. A lot don't.

We have a local bloke here gets around in a car far less valuable than Russells. He's worth 500mill. A lot of people, especially country, or older 'built my company from the ground up' people don't go for ostentatious displays of wealth. Doesn't matter what postcode they live in.

While I doubt Russells Wife was involved, the family silence does make you wonder if It's calculated. Either on the side of the police or because the family is 'dodgy' and may sway public opinion. Although in that case you'd expect Russels to speak out. IMO people normally only stay quiet when it's too their own benefit.

Yep, you’re right. I guess I was thinking from the angle that maybe finances were the main priority, maybe RH was considering changing his will to include CC, maybe a possible future Will challenge when RH passed (we know he had heart problems as well as other things), maybe RH contemplating leaving his wife to be with CC then backing out at the last minute... maybe all this made someone very unsettled and do something they normally wouldn’t consider?

Now I’m coming back full circle and considering the missing drone again, and wondering did they spot something dodgy happening? Maybe the drone unexpectedly flew over someone disposing of a body? And that person tracked the drone back to RH’s camp and chose to eliminate the witnesses, taking the drone and phone with them.

Last edited:
They’d known each other for years. Would have had every chance to come across each other professionally and or in social circles in their chosen professions.
I don’t think they went to school together so not that far back, but plenty far back. (I have family who went to school with RA but they didn’t go to school with RH).

RA knew RH’s wife well enough to call her and say he thought there was a problem.l, rather than go to the police himself.
I’m not sure that everything people tell their friends about their intimate relationships are true, especially the “she wants me more than I want her” stories.

Last edited:
I have been thinking of saying this, or something like this, for a long time, but have held off, as I don't know if it's allowed, illegal, or just plain nasty and uncalled-for. But I do wonder about RA. We keep quoting what he saw, knew, heard, etc as if it were Gospel. But what if that isn't so? JMO MOO

I know the reports all state that RH camped alone a week or so earlier but is it possible CC was with him then too and he just pretended he had been alone, as he did on the last trip when they disappeared?
Honestly, it wouldn’t shock me if there was a third woman we don’t know about.
“silly ole bugger”

And here if you are unable to access the above article:
Russell Hill and Carol Clay: Best mate of missing Wonnangatta camper reveals exchange with his wife | Daily Mail Online

The best friend of an elderly man who vanished along with his secret lover during a camping trip in remote bushland has revealed the devastating conversation he had with the 74-year-old's wife a year after the disappearance.

We’re waiting for people to drop their guard and open their mouths. Police have got to keep going, they can't leave a stone unturned,' Mr Ashlin told The Herald Sun.

'We want answers and that area of the bush is certainly not safe to go to at the moment.'

Mr Ashlin said Mr Hill's wife Robyn also wanted to know what happened, adding he had spoken to her on March 20 - exactly a year after the secret lovers, who had been having an affair for years, were last heard from on high-frequency radio.

'She is still on the sad side of things - she would like to know answers,' the friend said.

And Police are continuing to search the area for a third day ..

Honestly, it wouldn’t shock me if there was a third woman we don’t know about.
“silly ole bugger”
Good point, "Hell has no fury than a woman scorned" (Or Man)
Or even for Carol "Interested Male" waiting to declare their attention now she was free and footloose(or so they thought. IMO. Sound like coming from a Mills and Boon novel.(Eyes roll up to head)Did they happened to met the 'Interested party" how thought they could catch Russell on his own.
Or party just chance meeting where Carol and Russell relationship was exposed and they reacted. Or was it more than that?
Russell and Carol been quiet about their relationship. Watching the news and reaction by friends, CWA and families, IMO it really makes them question "Did I really know the person for the last twenty years?
They have said none thing because they they don't know what to say about Russell and Carol affair and now knowing how long it has been going on it really puts them in situation they don't know how to respond.
A Stunned Mullet moment.
There has been question of Russell's Wife .
Calling him a "silly ole bugger" wife is ask a question, she caught like a deer in the head light, she says first thing in her head. People have done it when in shock.
Back in the 1980's at the Hoddle Street Massacre, in Melbourne, the Petrol Station Attendant witnessed outside what was happened walked back into building to her Manager to inform her boss what was happening outside to call the Police and Ambulance as there was a shooter outside, people are dead and dying... To this day I am sure the Petrol Attendant regrets what they said in shock, " There is someone shooting outside, dead bodies everywhere......Do you still want me to serve Petrol?'
Just my thoughts and opinon.

The Herald Sun refers to Carol as a "long term family friend".......

Mrs Hill was unaware her 74-year-old husband was camping with Mrs Clay — a long term family friend — at the time they went missing.
Missing campers: Call for people to speak up about Russell Hill and Carol Clay | Herald Sun

Did I miss something? I only read The Daily Mail because I don’t want a subscription to the Herald Sun.
Mr Ashlin continues to stay in the media but I don’t see anything “devastating” we haven’t already heard.

Did I miss something? I only read The Daily Mail because I don’t want a subscription to the Herald Sun.
Mr Ashlin continues to stay in the media but I don’t see anything “devastating” we haven’t already heard.
'She is still on the sad side of things - she would like to know answers,'
BBM
This was the "devastating" part....... just media hype.. (eye rolling here) No further info on the conversation...

Last edited:
Good point, "Hell has no fury than a woman scorned" (Or Man)
Or even for Carol "Interested Male" waiting to declare their attention now she was free and footloose(or so they thought. IMO. Sound like coming from a Mills and Boon novel.(Eyes roll up to head)Did they happened to met the 'Interested party" how thought they could catch Russell on his own.
Or party just chance meeting where Carol and Russell relationship was exposed and they reacted. Or was it more than that?
Russell and Carol been quiet about their relationship. Watching the news and reaction by friends, CWA and families, IMO it really makes them question "Did I really know the person for the last twenty years?
They have said none thing because they they don't know what to say about Russell and Carol affair and now knowing how long it has been going on it really puts them in situation they don't know how to respond.
A Stunned Mullet moment.
There has been question of Russell's Wife .
Calling him a "silly ole bugger" wife is ask a question, she caught like a deer in the head light, she says first thing in her head. People have done it when in shock.
Back in the 1980's at the Hoddle Street Massacre, in Melbourne, the Petrol Station Attendant witnessed outside what was happened walked back into building to her Manager to inform her boss what was happening outside to call the Police and Ambulance as there was a shooter outside, people are dead and dying... To this day I am sure the Petrol Attendant regrets what they said in shock, " There is someone shooting outside, dead bodies everywhere......Do you still want me to serve Petrol?'
Just my thoughts and opinon.
I always understand when people don’t speak to the press as public speaking freaks me out on a good day.
And in Carol’s situation, I would be doing my best to hold my head high but I would be doing that in the privacy of my home and sticking to a self imposed quarantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asfdefsa01