Found Deceased Australia - Sanaya Sahib, 15 mos, Heidelberg West, Vic, 9 April 2016 *Arrest*

Shannon Deery ��‏Verified account @s_deery 4m4 minutes ago

Nikat's lawyers say she shouldn't serve a day behind bars for the killing. "This is a vulnerable woman who is sick". More @theheraldsun

Sharnelle Vella‏Verified account @SharnelleVella 6m6 minutes ago

Lawyer for Sofina Nikat has asked she be given a community corrections order given she has spent 18 months in jail.Infanticide max-5 years.

Jayde Vincent‏Verified account @JaydeVincent 13m13 minutes ago

Nikat's lawyer asks Judge to Sentence her to Community Corrections Order. She's already served 18 months on remand @9NewsMelb

Sharnelle Vella‏Verified account @SharnelleVella 14m14 minutes ago

BREAKING: Sofina Nikat has been granted bail after pleading guilty to the infanticide of her 15 month old baby girl.

Shannon Deery ��‏Verified account @s_deery 14m14 minutes ago

Two hours after pleading guilty to killing her child, Sofina Nikat is granted bail. Court hears she is mentally unwell, needs treatment.

Jayde Vincent‏Verified account @JaydeVincent 17m17 minutes ago

BREAKING: Sofina Nikat has been granted BAIL to await sentence for killing her 15 month old daughter. To be released today @9NewsMelb

So will she be going to s inpatient facility? Or is she just at home ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-...y-daughter-sanaya-sahib-was-possessed/8973904

Nikat has already been in custody for almost 18 months and Mr Dane submitted that was more time than she should be sentenced to.

"It may be that a bail application could and should have been made," he submitted.

"The reason why it wasn't made was because there was nowhere to go."

Mr Dane said a place for Nikat had now been found in crisis accommodation for women.

She will live in a motel for a fortnight before more permanent accommodation is found for her.

Mr Dane said Nikat continued to suffer from the depressive illness which led her to kill her daughter.
"When this woman comes out into society she's exceedingly vulnerable, she's still suffering from a condition, she'll need an enormous amount of support," he said.

Mr Dane called for Nikat to be sentenced to a 12-month community corrections order.

But Ms Judd called for her to be jailed.

"The killing of Sanaya must be recognised and denounced," she said.

Justice Lasry will sentence Nikat at a later date.

Also, many thanks Fuskier for the tweets today, very much appreciated! :loveyou:

Thanks for the updates.

What a tragic tale. I am so sad for that little baby that didn't stand a chance in life. She must have been so terrified, betrayed by the one who should have protected her. I hope her mother can be rehabilitated from her mental illness and be free from what amounts to slavery. I am disgusted Australian allows such things to happen to young girls coming from overseas.

Thanks for the updates.

What a tragic tale. I am so sad for that little baby that didn't stand a chance in life. She must have been so terrified, betrayed by the one who should have protected her. I hope her mother can be rehabilitated from her mental illness and be free from what amounts to slavery. I am disgusted Australian allows such things to happen to young girls coming from overseas.

I believe it's more prevalent than we realise ozazure.

I too feel for little Sanaya's fear at the hands of her mother.
I feel mum knew what she was doing, she lied about the drunk Somalian who took the baby and ran off.

I'm sure every murderer is mentally impaired at the time & gaols are full of innocent people. Eh?

I feel mum knew what she was doing, she lied about the drunk Somalian who took the baby and ran off.

I'm sure every murderer is mentally impaired at the time & gaols are full of innocent people. Eh?

I get what you are saying - the lie does tell us she had some hold on her faculties. However, given she had a religious leader tell her the baby was possessed, she may have a genuine belief in that while knowing she has to obscure her involvement, she knows that excuse doesn't fly here.

Here's the forced marriage link again. Share it freely, you never know who might see it because you put it out there

https://www.mybluesky.org.au/

Just some further thoughts: we must take into account the cumulative effect of suffering depression, isolation and marriage breakdown and not having a stable place to live as being heavy burdens on any young mother. They proved too much for this young mother.
But as we focus on understanding the mother's motive, we need to also focus that the child had a right to life and care. Her murder should not be dismissed on the above grounds alone.

We have to ask who were the decision makers who allowed this child to remain in the care of such an ill mother?
Retrospectively, it appears that there was an unresolved mental health issue here, but also pressing emotional/social circumstances [i.e. marriage breakdown, family conflict, isolation, lack of stable accommodation, lack of parental support and lack of stable supports] which should have been a 'red flag' to social welfare service decision makers who have a duty to protect the rights of the child.

IMO Questions need to be asked of the health & welfare services involved in this case. Did they get caught up in the heat of parental/familial conflict/separation and fail to make an assessment of this young mother's mental/emotional/social ability to care for this child?

I think perhaps she would qualify for deportation to FIJI

Just some further thoughts: we must take into account the cumulative effect of suffering depression, isolation and marriage breakdown and not having a stable place to live as being heavy burdens on any young mother. They proved too much for this young mother.
But as we focus on understanding the mother's motive, we need to also focus that the child had a right to life and care. Her murder should not be dismissed on the above grounds alone.

We have to ask who were the decision makers who allowed this child to remain in the care of such an ill mother?
Retrospectively, it appears that there was an unresolved mental health issue here, but also pressing emotional/social circumstances [i.e. marriage breakdown, family conflict, isolation, lack of stable accommodation, lack of parental support and lack of stable supports] which should have been a 'red flag' to social welfare service decision makers who have a duty to protect the rights of the child.

IMO Questions need to be asked of the health & welfare services involved in this case. Did they get caught up in the heat of parental/familial conflict/separation and fail to make an assessment of this young mother's mental/emotional/social ability to care for this child?

I just don't think there are the resources. Our mental health care is patchy - we don't know why some drugs work on some people and not others, therapy is a long process, and we don't have much success with personality disorders. So even with a lot of money and time and people, we don't have a surefire toolkit, and we don't have a lot of money and time and people to care for our most mentally unwell.

Maybe if she had stayed in the shelter or gone to a mother and baby unit this could have been prevented. Definetely could have been prevented if she wasn't trafficked here to be some dirty old man's "bride".

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/s...e-after-killing-daughter-20170922-gyn0pq.html

September 22 2017
Sofina Nikat out on bail after pleading guilty to infanticide after killing daughter
by Adam Cooper

" ... Justice Lasry said Nikat's appeared to be a "classic case" of infanticide."

The defence Lawyer: Mr Dane, the defence lawyer called for Nikat to serve a one-year community corrections order without jail, after 529 days already served in custody.

The prosecution Lawyer: Prosecutor Kerri Judd, QC, said a community order was inappropriate, as Nikat had been reluctant to accept responsibility and declined previous offers of help. "Infanticide is not a justification for killing, it remains a criminal offence ... and others must be deterred" Ms Judd said.

BBM: IMO this is a very important point.

BREAKING NEWS

NO MORE JAIL FOR SOFINA NIKAT
Shannon Deery‏Verified account @s_deery
42 minutes ago

No more jail for mum Sofina Nikat who drowned her “possessed” little girl, Sanaya. She then blamed an imaginary barefoot African who smelt of alcohol she said abducted the child. Nikat pleaded guilty to infanticide. More @theheraldsun

Sharnelle Vella‏Verified account @SharnelleVella
44 minutes ago

Sofina Nikat will walk free from Supreme Court on a 12 month community corrections order after pleading guilty to killing her baby girl. Judge has accepted 529 days already served on remand. Max was five years. @7NewsMelbourne
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPRkzClVwAAuHGf.jpg

Jayde Vincent‏Verified account @JaydeVincent
47 minutes ago

No Jail: Sofina Nikat sentenced to community corrections order for killing her 15 month old daughter Sanaya at Heidelberg West @9NewsMelb

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny
Back