Australia Australia - Tegan Lane, 2 days old, Sydney, 14 Sept 1996 *K. Lane guilty*

They did so little to determine the movements of Keli and her boyfriend and parents after they left for the wedding... Perhaps because they were so sure that all was "done and dusted" with Tegan before that. I don't know why they were sure. It wasn't like they had any solid evidence.

Maybe it's Mona Vale Road again. k-mac would know what I am saying;) it's a Northern Beaches 'thing'.

I agree, VM. So very little was done; especially in the early stages of the investigation.

(BBM. You mean a la Lynette Dawson and Trudie Adams et al? Truly shocking. Too busy ripping off drug dealers and cracking on to schoolgirls half their age.)

I think it weird that Keli was in hospital for a couple of days. Turns up at the family home to meet Duncan so as Mum can drive them to the wedding.
But her mother or her loving boyfriend did not say "Hey Kel where have you been the last couple of days"
You have lost a bit weight since I saw you a few days ago.:(
K and D's relationship was weird period. Whereas Mum never seemed to notice anything about Keli!
I agree, VM. So very little was done; especially in the early stages of the investigation.

(BBM. You mean a la Lynette Dawson and Trudie Adams et al? Truly shocking. Too busy ripping off drug dealers.)
Don't know about drug dealers, just that it was alleged that up there people liked to dump bodies in the bush on Mona Vale Road:confused:

<rsbm>

Don't know about drug dealers, just that it was alleged that up there people liked to dump bodies in the bush on Mona Vale Road:confused:

Talking about the boys club on the Northern Beaches. Poor little Tegan’s disappearance went almost unnoticed except for cursory enquiries in the first instance and Det. Kehoe’s superiors didn’t bother to report it to their superiors at NSWPOL HQ before they were either quietly asked to leave the Force or committed for trial for corruption. As I said too busy ripping off drug dealers or courting schoolgirls with the Dawson twins (among others).

Nice Girl doesn't say whether Keli left the wedding with or without Duncan. It just covers them arriving.

It's very weird that no-one mentions the possibility of her actions after the reception, I agree. Maybe Kehoe or Gaut ruled it out because there were a lot of credible witnesses (maybe in a car-pool) so it didn't seem worth mentioning at trial. But without knowing that for sure it seems like a strange oversight.

Nice Girl doesn't say whether Keli left the wedding with or without Duncan. It just covers them arriving.

It's very weird that no-one mentions the possibility of her actions after the reception, I agree. Maybe Kehoe or Gaut ruled it out because there were a lot of credible witnesses (maybe in a car-pool) so it didn't seem worth mentioning at trial. But without knowing that for sure it seems like a strange oversight.
Part of the suppressed police evidence? That evidence had to have changed between trial and appeal then.

I am guessing, K and D both left their respective cars at Mum's, so they would be able to leave the party separately, someone would drop her/him off back at Mum's (not that far away), and she/he would drive home to Gladesville in their own car.

That trip home from Fairlight to Gladesville was definitely not in "broad daylight"...

How did K and D go home then? Housemate drove? They were real good at car pooling in the 90s.

Given it was said that Keli was only invited because she was Duncan's partner seems Juan might not have been on the invite list.

Nevertheless, she gets little sense out of Juan Ramirez, a water polo associate of Lane who rented a room at Duncan Gillies' house in suburban Gladesville. When Gaut interviewed him in the course of the investigation, Ramirez said Gillies had once told him that Lane was pregnant and had gone away. He also recalled Gillies talking of the need to keep this from her parents. But by the time Ramirez takes the stand, he isn't sure what Gillies said - in fact, he cannot be certain the conversation took place at all. The more he is questioned, the more vague he becomes. "We need to know the truth," presses Becroft. "I need you to be honest with me." But it's no good. Ramirez's memory has gone hazy. It's as if he has lost interest in the whole thing.

Keli Lane's secrets and lies

Mr Henson said he saw Lane leaving the apartment block on several occasions late at night or during the early hours of the morning.

"It was quite late. It was dark. Sometimes 1:00am. Because I used to work on my car until the early hours of the morning," he said.

"I used to think she was brave because a lot of people were quite nervous of going out late at night, and she wasn't. She just went bowling out there. I thought she just knows her way around."

Despite claiming she visited the apartment numerous times, Lane told police she did not recall seeing any other tenants when she was coming or going late at night.

"She probably couldn't see me in the dark. But I remember her," Mr Henson said.

'I saw Keli Lane': Potential witness found in notorious baby-killing case

How fortunate she had only been there a couple of time and low and behold someone is working on their car (silently) down in the parking spaces. Not once but a couple of times.

Why did she need to do a drive around with Det Gaut looking for a familiar block of units?
Seems it would have been just as easy to park the car at the Town Hall Hotel and walk the route Keli had taken on at least a half dozen occasions - to and from.

The court heard that Mrs Lane drove her daughter and Duncan Gillies, who was then Keli's boyfriend, to the wedding in Manly on September 14, 1996. She recalled Keli coming in the back gate at the family home around 3pm before getting changed.

Cross-examined by the defence counsel, Keith Chapple, SC, Mrs Lane said there was nothing different about her daughter that afternoon. ''She just appeared normal to me.'

Keli Lane's mother drove her to wedding two days after Tegan's birth

The back gate. Was that the way Keli usually entered the house? Where did Keli usually park her car when staying at the family home? Keli had been away for a few days at least .... did she carry a bag into the house?
I am assuming she had removed her hospital tag. :p

The court heard that Mrs Lane drove her daughter and Duncan Gillies, who was then Keli's boyfriend, to the wedding in Manly on September 14, 1996. She recalled Keli coming in the back gate at the family home around 3pm before getting changed.

Cross-examined by the defence counsel, Keith Chapple, SC, Mrs Lane said there was nothing different about her daughter that afternoon. ''She just appeared normal to me.'

Keli Lane's mother drove her to wedding two days after Tegan's birth

The back gate. Was that the way Keli usually entered the house? Where did Keli usually park her car when staying at the family home? Keli had been away for a few days at least .... did she carry a bag into the house?
I am assuming she had removed her hospital tag. :p

BBM.

At the inquest, Sandra doesn’t say if the back gate was the usual way Keli entered the house or not. She said Keli usually parked her car ‘Just out in the street, or on the footpath outside our place. In the driveway if there was room.’ Also no mention of Keli having a bag with her when she arrived home on the day Tegan disappeared.

82590E5C-38D4-454D-A2EC-8E7DB48D1664.jpeg

AAC32590-9E5A-42F9-9061-303B218E8392.jpeg
Source: Nice Girl pp 230-1

Talking about the boys club on the Northern Beaches. Poor little Tegan’s disappearance went almost unnoticed except for cursory enquiries in the first instance and Det. Kehoe’s superiors didn’t bother to report it to their superiors at NSWPOL HQ before they were either quietly asked to leave the Force or committed for trial for corruption. As I said too busy ripping off drug dealers or courting schoolgirls with the Dawson twins (among others).
yep
sadly bo this isn't remotely exaggerated :-(
glad I was a kid through the 70's and 80's abliss to all this....but gee the mishandling of tegans case brings it all forward into the 90's!!
god help Sydney …..it needs it!!

Part of the suppressed police evidence? That evidence had to have changed between trial and appeal then.

I am guessing, K and D both left their respective cars at Mum's, so they would be able to leave the party separately, someone would drop her/him off back at Mum's (not that far away), and she/he would drive home to Gladesville in their own car.

That trip home from Fairlight to Gladesville was definitely not in "broad daylight"...
I googled for information about the wedding and a page or two of Nice Girl came up. Duncan said he couldn't really remember the wedding, he thinks he drove his truck but he doesn't know where he met Keli, whether before or at the wedding. It seems to be at the inquest he's saying this because Coroner Abernethy is there.

Something Duncan did remember which I thought interesting was that at one stage Keli's father commented on her weight, as in, don't put all that weight on again Keli. So her mother's argument that the pregnancies were unnoticeable unless you happened to be watching Keli shower, which Sandra didn't, is rubbish as we thought.

I googled for information about the wedding and a page or two of Nice Girl came up. Duncan said he couldn't really remember the wedding, he thinks he drove his truck but he doesn't know where he met Keli, whether before or at the wedding. It seems to be at the inquest he's saying this because Coroner Abernethy is there.

Something Duncan did remember which I thought interesting was that at one stage Keli's father commented on her weight, as in, don't put all that weight on again Keli. So her mother's argument that the pregnancies were unnoticeable unless you happened to be watching Keli shower, which Sandra didn't, is rubbish as we thought.
Yup. Here's the upload if anyone hasn't seen it.

Attachments

• WeightGain.png
    WeightGain.png
    665.9 KB · Views: 24
Yup. Here's the upload if anyone hasn't seen it.

There was another mention of that incident, I think. It might have been earlier in the book (I don’t have it on loan anymore). It would be interesting to know the timing of that conversation, whether just after the births of Baby #1, Tegan, or Baby #3.

There was another mention of that incident, I think. It might have been earlier in the book (I don’t have it on loan anymore). It would be interesting to know the timing of that conversation, whether just after the births of Baby #1, Tegan, or Baby #3.
Yeah that's where the author embellishes the conversation in the kitchen. The conversation allegedly happened after she gave birth to Baby 1. She went to Quebec to compete shortly after giving birth in March 1995 so the conversation was between Baby 1 and falling pregnant with Tegan.

Attachments

• kitchenconversation.png
    kitchenconversation.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 16
Yeah that's where the author embellishes the conversation in the kitchen. The conversation allegedly happened after she gave birth to Baby 1. She went to Quebec to compete shortly after giving birth in March 1995 so the conversation was between Baby 1 and falling pregnant with Tegan.

Thanks again for posting these Observer.

Just doing a google search
e Girl: The story of Keli Lane and her missing baby Tegan
https://books.google.com.au/books?isbn=0731814975

Rachael Jane Chin - 2011 - ‎True Crime
The story of Keli Lane and her missing baby Tegan Rachael Jane Chin. By now Duncan's family hashad time to reflect on Keli's lie to Brandon and Melinda ... after the dig, police record Keli talking to one of her friends about Andrew Norris. ... Natalie lies, saying she did tell the police about meetingNorris once, when in fact ...

Sounds interesting. Natalie told the police she met Andrew. Really!

The story of Keli Lane and her missing baby Tegan Rachael Jane Chin. By now Duncan's family hashad time to reflect on Keli's lie to Brandon and Melinda ... after the dig, police record Keli talking to one of her friends about Andrew Norris. ... Natalie lies, saying she did tell the police about meetingNorris once, when in fact ...

That's from the phone tap. They also played that on Exposed too I think.

Attachments

• natalie.png
    natalie.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 13
So Natalie didn't tell the police she had met Andrew. She lied to her friend and just said she had told the police she had met him once.
That's right. But then goes about trying to say she *might've* met him on the witness stand. Seems Natalie wanted to involve herself.

Attachments

• Natalie-witnessstand.png
    Natalie-witnessstand.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 8

And Lisa! Lisa told the court she may once have met Norris after originally denying any knowledge of him. (From your link.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back