Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that companion mentioned anywhere?
I really don't think anyone would go swimming there at that time of night except if it was maybe a group thing and/or in warmer weather. You'd leave something on the beach if you did.
I could be wrong if he had more than just a few drinks. It's a possibility.
Next community search meets at Tallow Beach car park and is focusing on "dense bushland".

Why would Theo have gone in dense bush land there? Surely he would’ve stuck to paths, beaches and cleared areas.

It’s not known where he went. We were just discussing currents earlier. Pretty sure they did search north, especially when the Shirley Street footage was thought to be him. They do seem to be concentrating around the Cape though, probably due to the phone ping being the only solid lead.
I'm referring to the surfer and not Theo. What I quoted said the surfer was Suffolk Park but only Tallows is mentioned in that article.

Why would Theo have gone in dense bush land there? Surely he would’ve stuck to paths, beaches and cleared areas.
Trails up to the lookout from Cosy Corner go partly through 'scrub' (my use of bushland was wrong, they said scrub).
If you headed across you'd be in more open areas near the cliff face - dangerous.
You might try and go straight up through denser bushland where there are trails but also where it would be easier to deviate off them.
Same would apply with Milne Track leading on to Tallow Beach - it swerves all over the place and might be tricky of a night. But I think they are focusing north of the car park up near Cosy Corner.

Reposting wont change it I had to screen shot it off the video. Red dot is around the Byron station and the other on Johnson St with a wiggly line about 30m from Cheeky Monkeys heading out of town. If yu watch the video you will see them discussing the maps and the image is clearer there.
Well the map on the Belgium police laptop seems to show a red line of Theo’s known movements during his stay at Byron Bay, presumably up to his last ping. Better screenshots attached. According to the Belgium Police map, he never walked along Tallows Beach or up to Cosy Corner. The map shows him travelling (walking or by car) along Tallows Beach Road, but stopping at it’s end, and returning. He could have done this either earlier in the day, or after CM.

I’m more inclined to believe in the route shown on a police laptop than one produced by the Daily Telegraph. There’s no timeline that I can see on the map, but the only other one way route he took after leaving CM is along Lighthouse Road toward The Pass, Wategos and the lighthouse. So not walking along the main beach or around rocks, but on roads the whole time. IMO that means he got in a car after leaving CM and visited a few spots by car. Unfortunately the police laptop screen does not show the final end point of his route, but it is somewhere between Wategos and the lighthouse. Maybe he did just fall from up there (cliffs next to the lighthouse) by accident and the people/person who drove him up there are too scared to come forward for whatever reason.

Am frustrated by confusion caused by the two different maps. Maybe the pulled post was removed because it was in fact inaccurate. Which one is correct?!

Attachments

• EF7AA10F-3170-4B46-AB71-CA89BB09C395.jpeg
    EF7AA10F-3170-4B46-AB71-CA89BB09C395.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 3127460E-3F0B-4F09-98E1-1EEB00D203ED.jpeg
    3127460E-3F0B-4F09-98E1-1EEB00D203ED.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 41
  • BB11408A-052D-4052-AD95-3EEE3E588FA2.jpeg
    BB11408A-052D-4052-AD95-3EEE3E588FA2.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 41DE4FF6-6699-442B-BCFC-C6BDC84DCDE6.jpeg
    41DE4FF6-6699-442B-BCFC-C6BDC84DCDE6.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Well the map on the Belgium police laptop seems to show a red line of Theo’s known movements during his stay at Byron Bay, presumably up to his last ping. Better screenshots attached. According to the Belgium Police map, he never walked along Tallows Beach or up to Cosy Corner. The map shows him travelling (walking or by car) along Tallows Beach Road, but stopping at it’s end, and returning. He could have done this either earlier in the day, or after CM.

I’m more inclined to believe in the route shown on a police laptop than one produced by the Daily Telegraph. There’s no timeline that I can see on the map, but the only other one way route he took after leaving CM is along Lighthouse Road toward The Pass, Wategos and the lighthouse. So not walking along the main beach or around rocks, but on roads the whole time. IMO that means he got in a car after leaving CM and visited a few spots by car. Unfortunately the police laptop screen does not show the final end point of his route, but it is somewhere between Wategos and the lighthouse. Maybe he did just fall from up there (cliffs next to the lighthouse) by accident and the people/person who drove him up there are too scared to come forward for whatever reason.

Am frustrated by confusion caused by the two different maps. Maybe the pulled post was removed because it was in fact inaccurate. Which one is correct?!
What interests me from those maps is the red line down around the end of what appears to be Paterson st?
It stops, then maybe comes back. It is bushland down there. Why go there then back?
Doesn't show in the released maps to aus media he took that path prior....or maybe he did another day?

He seems to have walked to the structure at the end of Tennyson St. as the Belgian Map shows. Then behind the tennis courts. It really does look like he was hanging around to meet with someone. If going for a beach walk alone why not head straight there? What is that structure at the end of the street? He went to it as the Belgian map shows.

Attachments

• TENNYSON.png
    TENNYSON.png
    629.1 KB · Views: 45

Good points. The laptop map could be all his known movements/locations based on his phone data. He could’ve got in a vehicle at the Main Beach carpark, as that’s where he first headed. I’m a little surprised the police allowed that map to be seen, but maybe there’s nothing to hide with it and they are as perplexed.

He seems to have walked to the structure at the end of Tennyson St. as the Belgian Map shows. Then behind the tennis courts. It really does look like he was hanging around to meet with someone. If going for a beach walk alone why not head straight there? What is that structure at the end of the street? He went to it as the Belgian map shows.

Looks like a shipping container next to tennis courts. He’s gone up and then turned around. Maybe he met someone there and they walked to Tallows/the Cape/ wherever together.

What interests me from those maps is the red line down around the end of what appears to be Paterson st?
It stops, then maybe comes back. It is bushland down there. Why go there then back?
Doesn't show in the released maps to aus media he took that path prior....or maybe he did another day?

You’re referring to this (see pic). It appears he’s looking for a certain destination and is backtracking when he heads the wrong way.

Attachments

• E8F98C6E-F5DC-4F8D-96D1-65A7171757BC.jpeg
    E8F98C6E-F5DC-4F8D-96D1-65A7171757BC.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 32
Did he disappear off Suffolk though? I can only see Tallow Beach mentioned except that the search went offshore and south to off Broken Head. Interesting that they didn't search north of the Cape.

Yeah surfer disappeared off Suffolk.

Is that companion mentioned anywhere?
I really don't think anyone would go swimming there at that time of night except if it was maybe a group thing and/or in warmer weather. You'd leave something on the beach if you did.
I could be wrong if he had more than just a few drinks. It's a possibility.
Next community search meets at Tallow Beach car park and is focusing on "dense bushland".
This is what I found from his father re being with someone. Source is the LFTH Group which is closed now.
"
‘There are many theories circulating and some of them are plausible. We have spoken about some of those theories before but they remain theories. We need solid evidence so we must give investigators the opportunity to gather and verify that evidence.

‘We do believe that there are witnesses that haven’t yet come forward. We believe that Théo did not spend the early hours of June 1 alone.

‘We need to hear from anyone who saw Théo that night and we understand that they might need to do that anonymously. Luckily in Australia that can be done through crime stoppers. I beg anyone with information to come forward."

I think the same and I think possibly a party or looking for one. When this first came up in the Byron Bay and Community Board there was a reaction along the lines of 'blame the doof doofs for everything'. I really think someone knows 'something'.

I still do not beleive he went there swimming. If he wanted a swim he could have just gone to main beach where is safer.

If there was a party there, even a very small one you would think would left behind drink bottles cans cigarette buts other rubbish in the area.

The issue is due to the delay in him being reported missing any evidence would been either burried, washed away or picked up.

Most local facebook community pages often have locals who vent about things in the community including illegal parties and having to clean up rubbish in bushland, beach or streets etc (ours does here in the area) so would think if anyone came across mess there just after June 1st they would had reported it after seeing the missing person and connection to Cosy Corner. Sometimes peopel do nt connect the dots. When was the last time you saw a few beer cans in the park and thought nothing of it, 6 months later you hear a homicide took place there. Probably wouldnt think anything if it and unfortunately the potentiall evidence gone.

The red line just FYI is explained by the officer the route that the Belgium police walked. It is not conclusive if they walked that red line due to data sjowing Theo also did. The translation is not including why they walked that line. If you look at the CCTV images they look at on their laptop you will see a female appear 2 - 3 times with notes in the images. There also appears to be other images Theo on there as well, one of what appears him with security guards I cant tell as too hard to see it.

Tennyson Street cricket nets & shipping container where it appears he went and then reversed out of .

I have this as corner Carlisle and Cowper I think where he came through the field to corner then seems to have walked across Carlisle then doubled back agsin to this corner then headed up Cowper. Looks like graffiti wall unless it’s been replaced recently

The red line just FYI is explained by the officer the route that the Belgium police walked. It is not conclusive if they walked that red line due to data sjowing Theo also did. The translation is not including why they walked that line. If you look at the CCTV images they look at on their laptop you will see a female appear 2 - 3 times with notes in the images. There also appears to be other images Theo on there as well, one of what appears him with security guards I cant tell as too hard to see it.
True. It could be the route that the Belgium police took to understand the area during their short visit. It kind of does look like a quick tour of the main spots. So then we are back to the route provided by the Daily Telegraph article

I have this as corner Carlisle and Cowper I think where he came through the field to corner then seems to have walked across Carlisle then doubled back agsin to this corner then headed up Cowper. Looks like graffiti wall unless it’s been replaced recently

Attachments

• 95F5A29E-A934-4A62-96BF-AD86F61E82B6.jpeg
    95F5A29E-A934-4A62-96BF-AD86F61E82B6.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DE4E977E-86B6-4934-BACE-807F9F6E037F.jpeg
    DE4E977E-86B6-4934-BACE-807F9F6E037F.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 28
Hook up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member