Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the LFTH FB page, they're now asking people to keep an eye out for his necklace (though they don't even seem to know what it looks like exactly). I wonder if the people who run the page are in contact with Theo's family, friends and LE at all?

Not sure on this, I would say to some degree they would be IMO but I think his family have taken a step back for there own reasons with their grief and looking after Theos little brother Lucas.

That’s actually a really good point that his phone would’ve/should’ve pinged frequently if he was simply chilling on the beach on social media. Why did it not ping again after the 1.20am known message? It would’ve still had charge in it so what would cause it not to ping until the final 4pm one? (Assuming those were the last two known pings). Not being used? Turned off?

He’s definitely met up with someone or was waiting/looking for someone. I mean you wouldn’t go on such a specific hike into unfamiliar territory for nothing. You’d go chill on Main Beach if you had no plans but didn’t want to go home yet.

Re the Belgians walk, they could’ve been exploring the area and following a route, with all of it being recorded. I wouldn’t take their path as exactly following Theo’s known steps. Just IMO.

IMOO, I think if he was sitting and chilling on his own the phone would have pinged more times.

He also would like most 18 year olds be be on his mobile phone looking at FB, Insta, sending messages to his friends overseas etc the time he would be sitting there.

What I want to know is why my previous maps posted last night show certain areas with red dots and a new path that the Belgian police walked. Why? Was this the route that Theo took that night which did include the lighthouse area and MSM Australia has only shown certain locations? 90% of the map we have seen in MSM is on that map from Belgium police story. But there is more which leads me to be open to Theo actually did get off that beach and continue his walk to the lighthouse and then elsewhere. I cant understand any other reason why that map has different route and what the red dots mean.

Like I said before, if he was reported missing the next day maybe there would be more evidence and fresh tracks of where he last stood.

On the LFTH FB page, they're now asking people to keep an eye out for his necklace (though they don't even seem to know what it looks like exactly). I wonder if the people who run the page are in contact with Theo's family, friends and LE at all?
The Group was controlled by the family. They have stepped back a bit due to the difficulty in dealing with this and some abuse that has been going on.
The Page was first set up by a random without asking the family first. I think after that the family might have been involved with the Page.
There's a lot of posts in places using the 'Looking for Theo Hayez' alias from that Page. I don't think it can be confirmed that anything posted using that alias is 'official' unless it's confirmed as being so.

Re the Belgians walk, they could’ve been exploring the area and following a route, with all of it being recorded. I wouldn’t take their path as exactly following Theo’s known steps. Just IMO.
Agreed.

How common is it for bodies swept out to sea to end up on the beach? Just reminded of the Elisa Curry case in Victoria in 2017, even though no one knows how she came to be on the beach 7k’s from home.
With other headlands in the region drownings are more common from swimming on the southern end. Examples are at Hastings Point and Cabarita. There are strong rips that often dump bodies a long way along the northern beach.
The nature of Byron Cape seems similar. Look at the satellite image and you can see the seemingly still water characteristic of a rip at Cosy Corner.
But then it's different in that there's the bay after the headland and a body might virtually be dumped out into the ocean. From there it might be less likely that a body would turn up on a beach unless it is a very long way away or drifted around in currents. That's what I'd expect with no clue of the currents there.

With other headlands in the region drownings are more common from swimming on the southern end. Examples are at Hastings Point and Cabarita. There are strong rips that often dump bodies a long way along the northern beach.
The nature of Byron Cape seems similar. Look at the satellite image and you can see the seemingly still water characteristic of a rip at Cosy Corner.
But then it's different in that there's the bay after the headland and a body might virtually be dumped out into the ocean. From there it might be less likely that a body would turn up on a beach unless it is a very long way away or drifted around in currents. That's what I'd expect with no clue of the currents there.

Thanks for that. Just also found this article about a surfer who disappeared off Suffolk Park in Byron in 2010, and washed ashore on Tallows.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...where-swimmer-went-missing-20100513-uys5.html

Am hearing you, accidental drownings very common there but cannot believe he would go swimming alone and at night and temperature under 5 Celsius. He would be well aware of sharks as well. There is a strong rip near the rocks at Cosy Corner which is concerning as is close to where his mobile stopped.
It is possible he could have fell in accidentally if climbing the rock looking for a way out. It was low tide though and his track doesn't seem to reach that far, stops on the beach. Possible he put his phone down or it fell from his pocket but would think if phone was close to the rocks or left on beach would have been found. We know it wasn't in the water on Saturday as it pinged at 1.42pm. . It just seem so strange he would even be out there on an extremely cold night, dark as well no moon, not much to see at night, and climbing cliffs or rocks at night.
Not sure how the beach looks on low tide, how far the water would be. The wind was less than 2 km an hour so very still. The ocean should not have been too rough. Would be good to know if there was big swell that night or not but the wind was calm. He wasn't drunk as by the time he would have walked there the 2 or drinks he had at Cheeky's would have been walked off, if anyone gave him more alcohol there would be no reason for them not to come forward. He didn't buy anymore so am assuming he should have been reasonably level headed. I just cannot picture climbing cliffs at night, but is possible yes. Does any artificial light reach to the rocks I wonder. Though I don't believe he went swimming that rip near the rocks is a worry if he fell into it. I have attached the pics from the Byron Bay Surfers page. It looks like a very bad permanent rip there. But I really feel there is more to this. The phone ping net day doesn't add up, even if he dropped his phone the incoming tide would have killed it, it probably would be found. Leaving his hat (if it's his) doesn't add up, him being out there in a very black night and alone doesn't add up. Details of phone ping being in another area between the Pass and Wategos doesn't add up. But is possible not all information presented to the public is correct. It is possible he fell and drowned but somehow I still don't believe it.

Seems like a really dangerous spot to be at Cosy Corner that night, in almost total darkness, and Theo was only in BB for only 2 days. Tourists run into trouble in day time, not to mention night.

But Theo's parents think that he had someone for a companion. It is speculated it could be a local. Were there others with him when he got to CC? Wouldn't those others warn Theo about the rip?

I don't feel it is a regular tourist accident, just my opinion.

Hope there will be findings soon on the cap being tested.

Seems like a really dangerous spot to be at Cosy Corner that night, in almost total darkness, and Theo was only in BB for only 2 days. Tourists run into trouble in day time, not to mention night.

But Theo's parents think that he had someone for a companion. It is speculated it could be a local. Were there others with him when he got to CC? Wouldn't those others warn Theo about the rip?

I don't feel it is a regular tourist accident, just my opinion.

Hope there will be findings soon on the cap being tested.

In that vieo I posted the surveillance images they are looking at from captured CCTV shows the same girl in two images. Probably means nothing but just something i noticed.

In that vieo I posted the surveillance images they are looking at from captured CCTV shows the same girl in two images. Probably means nothing but just something i noticed.

Whats the video of, and where is it?

IMOO, I think if he was sitting and chilling on his own the phone would have pinged more times.

He also would like most 18 year olds be be on his mobile phone looking at FB, Insta, sending messages to his friends overseas etc the time he would be sitting there.

What I want to know is why my previous maps posted last night show certain areas with red dots and a new path that the Belgian police walked. Why? Was this the route that Theo took that night which did include the lighthouse area and MSM Australia has only shown certain locations? 90% of the map we have seen in MSM is on that map from Belgium police story. But there is more which leads me to be open to Theo actually did get off that beach and continue his walk to the lighthouse and then elsewhere. I cant understand any other reason why that map has different route and what the red dots mean.

Like I said before, if he was reported missing the next day maybe there would be more evidence and fresh tracks of where he last stood.
Can you please repost your map with the red dots? All I can see is four screenshots that don't show anything other than radial indicator distances from CM...

Agreed. I swam at Cosy Corner in Dec last year and it was very calm and flat sand going out - similar to north end of Bondi Beach and others where the north end curls to face south or south east. It was low tide at 12.41am, so some 'rip' like movement of water returning to ocean from incoming waves though around the time of Theo reported to be in this area, but I doubt strong enough to catch someone off guard. In my opinion, he has then either had an accident and lost consciousness and been taken out to sea, or if he was with someone, something happened on the beach or in the bushes where the dots on the map show, and his body placed in the water.

Last edited:
Just reading some of the Belgium sites. This particular site quotes the request for CCTV footage between 2300 hours and 0400 hours.

Please note not in English need to put in translate however just put one of the points in English I talk about.

Théo Hayez reste introuvable: de son arrivée à Byron Bay à sa disparition, voici le récit des événements, jour après jour

June 10: The Australian police broadcast the surveillance camera video of the Cheeky Monkeys exit and use any image filmed by cameras and private surveillance between 23:00 on May 31 and 04:00 on June 1.
A crowdfunding page is being launched to help move the family of the deceased to Australia. Unused funds are promised to Belgian and Australian associations of missing persons.

June 17 The Australian police broadcast a new video of Théo Hayez, that of the evening of May 31st during his visit to the liquor store. Detectives specializing in homicides come to reinforce the investigators.

Can you please repost your map with the red dots? All I can see is four screenshots that don't show anything other than radial indicator distances from CM...

Reposting wont change it I had to screen shot it off the video. Red dot is around the Byron station and the other on Johnson St with a wiggly line about 30m from Cheeky Monkeys heading out of town. If yu watch the video you will see them discussing the maps and the image is clearer there.

Just reading some of the Belgium sites. This particular site quotes the request for CCTV footage between 2300 hours and 0400 hours.

Please note not in English need to put in translate however just put one of the points in English I talk about.

Théo Hayez reste introuvable: de son arrivée à Byron Bay à sa disparition, voici le récit des événements, jour après jour

June 10: The Australian police broadcast the surveillance camera video of the Cheeky Monkeys exit and use any image filmed by cameras and private surveillance between 23:00 on May 31 and 04:00 on June 1.
A crowdfunding page is being launched to help move the family of the deceased to Australia. Unused funds are promised to Belgian and Australian associations of missing persons.

June 17 The Australian police broadcast a new video of Théo Hayez, that of the evening of May 31st during his visit to the liquor store. Detectives specializing in homicides come to reinforce the investigators.
Easy mistake but "disparu" also means "disappeared, misplaced" as well as "deceased".

Thanks for that. Just also found this article about a surfer who disappeared off Suffolk Park in Byron in 2010, and washed ashore on Tallows.
Did he disappear off Suffolk though? I can only see Tallow Beach mentioned except that the search went offshore and south to off Broken Head. Interesting that they didn't search north of the Cape.

Is that companion mentioned anywhere?
I really don't think anyone would go swimming there at that time of night except if it was maybe a group thing and/or in warmer weather. You'd leave something on the beach if you did.
I could be wrong if he had more than just a few drinks. It's a possibility.
Next community search meets at Tallow Beach car park and is focusing on "dense bushland".
This is what I found from his father re being with someone. Source is the LFTH Group which is closed now.
"
‘There are many theories circulating and some of them are plausible. We have spoken about some of those theories before but they remain theories. We need solid evidence so we must give investigators the opportunity to gather and verify that evidence.

‘We do believe that there are witnesses that haven’t yet come forward. We believe that Théo did not spend the early hours of June 1 alone.

‘We need to hear from anyone who saw Théo that night and we understand that they might need to do that anonymously. Luckily in Australia that can be done through crime stoppers. I beg anyone with information to come forward."

I think the same and I think possibly a party or looking for one. When this first came up in the Byron Bay and Community Board there was a reaction along the lines of 'blame the doof doofs for everything'. I really think someone knows 'something'.

Last edited:
Did he disappear off Suffolk though? I can only see Tallow Beach mentioned except that the search went offshore and south to off Broken Head. Interesting that they didn't search north of the Cape.
It’s not known where he went. We were just discussing currents earlier. Pretty sure they did search north, especially when the Shirley Street footage was thought to be him. They do seem to be concentrating around the Cape though, probably due to the phone ping being the only solid lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500