GUILTY Australia - Tina Watson, 26, dies on honeymoon scuba dive, QLD, 22 Oct 2003

I wonder if he got the life insurance money,surely he did. What a creep,i just read this on cnn and i can't believe he pretty much got away with it. Prayers for her family,im sure they are furious.

I think her dad said he'd talked her out of changing the life insurance until after the honeymoon, but she didn't tell her husband, whatshisname.
When I read this thread, I was determined not to watch the show on tonight about this, but I couldn't help myself. And now I'm just as angry and frustrated as I knew I'd be. :furious: I hope they show one of the in-depth stories on this case in Australia.

I agree about the woman in the video, probably mommy pooh. I could see a part of a little rubbing to reassure, but then it got ridiculous, she was rubbing and massaging so strongly he was swaying back and forth. It became in appropriate for the situation at hand and the circumstances of the moment. Yuck. He's a murdering liar!

I couldn't stand that back rub stuff! God! I wanted to tell LE to make her stop. Why was she even allowed in the room. UGH. YUCK

Emily Booth, thank you for that link!

Here is a direct link to the article on the flowers. Her family started chaining down the flowers AFTER they were disappearing. So the explanation regarding the cemetary rules falls flat with me. As the flowers were taken BEFORE they were chained down.

http://www.al.com/birminghamnews/stories/index.ssf?/base/news/120125262542090.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

(snips)
A Helena police officer told an Australian coroner's inquest that he filmed the husband of a woman who drowned while on their honeymoon as he used bolt cutters to remove flowers from her grave.
Sgt. Brad Flynn, the lead American investigator into the cause of the Oct. 22, 2003, Australian drowning death of Christina "Tina" Thomas Watson, testified via video link Wednesday night.

Watson's parents, Tommy and Cindy Thomas, filed theft reports in the fall of 2005, stating that flowers and gifts were continually disappearing from their daughter's grave at a Pelham cemetery, even after they began bolting them to the ground, Flynn said.
"We communicated this to the Queensland police, who were investigating Tina's death, and we decided to set up surveillance," Flynn said. "The tape showed Gabe Watson taking cutters from his vehicle and cutting the bolt."
But one of Gabe Watson's American attorneys, Bob Austin, said his client's actions were nothing more than adhering to cemetery regulations.
"The rules at the cemetery are that no permanent fixture can be placed on a grave site, and this was a steel rod and chain hooked to plastic flowers," Austin said.

(Bolded by me.)
And of course, the attorney comes up with a justification for this sociopath's behavior....

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this yet, I just jumped into the discussion because I saw the tv show last night--but is there some way that U.S. authorities can get this guy after he has served his 10 months (or whatever) in Australia? I also don't understand why he wasn't extradited but I guess that Australia doesn't do that.

How can they let him go so easily? I just don't get it. It's SO blatantly obvious that he killed her. I had no doubts but it was the comment on the xmas card he sent to her best friend that totally cinched it for me. UGH

Since the crime wasn't in the US I don't think they can do anything about it or they would have already. He was going to fight extradition to Australia but ended up just going to face trial there. And we see what happens now...

This will probably give some men a new idea...leave the country and kill my wife so I will not face much penalty if caught. Ugh.

I wonder if he got the life insurance money,surely he did. What a creep,i just read this on cnn and i can't believe he pretty much got away with it. Prayers for her family,im sure they are furious.
------------
Hope this makes you feel better. She did not sign the life insurance policy changing the beneficiary from her father to her husband. It was left at her home unsigned............her father was the beneficiary. Her new husband did not know this on the honeymoon.......

I saw the Dateline episode about this case and I was totally baffled as to how Australian police could pursue this case for five years, but the Australian legal system could let this waste of space and air plead out and only serve eleven months. All the time, effort, manpower and tax dollars involved were pretty much flushed down the commode with the deal.

I have no idea how their legal system operates, but I would think LE would have some input as to how a case is handled. Does anyone know if LE here has some say in how cases proceed?

As far as Gabe Watson is concerned, I can only say shades of Scott Peterson and his mommy where the tape of the interrogation (and creepy Mama petting) is concerned. Ew. Yuck.

I really feel for Tina Watson's family and friends and the AL detective who worked the case here in the US. It says alot about his commitment to the case that he traveled with the family to Australia for the not-trial.

I hope Tina Watson's father haunts Gabe Watson like Ron Goldman's father has haunted OJ Simpson (who is finally sitting in stir and rotting away :dance:).

Since the crime wasn't in the US I don't think they can do anything about it or they would have already. He was going to fight extradition to Australia but ended up just going to face trial there. And we see what happens now...

This will probably give some men a new idea...leave the country and kill my wife so I will not face much penalty if caught. Ugh.
(bolded by me) OH geesh! yes, I bet it will..

Stronger Punishment Sought for Ala. Man in Wife's Scuba Death

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,527000,00.html

(snip)
David Gabriel Watson, of Birmingham, Alabama, was sentenced earlier this month to serve one year of a four-and-a-half year sentence for the 2003 death of his wife during a trip to Australia's Great Barrier Reef.
He was to stand trial in the Queensland state Supreme Court for murder, which carried a potential sentence of life in prison, until the prosecution accepted the guilty plea to the lesser charge.
"I have formed the view that this sentence is manifestly inadequate and the state will therefore lodge an appeal against the sentence in the Queensland Court of Appeal," Queensland Attorney General Cameron Dick told state parliament Thursday.

I couldn't stand that back rub stuff! God! I wanted to tell LE to make her stop. Why was she even allowed in the room. UGH. YUCK

ITA, it was very disturbing and creepy to watch.

------------
Hope this makes you feel better. She did not sign the life insurance policy changing the beneficiary from her father to her husband. It was left at her home unsigned............her father was the beneficiary. Her new husband did not know this on the honeymoon.......

Hi Lonetraveler, It is like seeing Karma in action for the first time in your life if you had never experienced it before.

Thank goodness life has it's unexplained miracles that usually come when you least expect it! Ya Ya

xox

Stronger Punishment Sought for Ala. Man in Wife's Scuba Death

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,527000,00.html

(snip)
David Gabriel Watson, of Birmingham, Alabama, was sentenced earlier this month to serve one year of a four-and-a-half year sentence for the 2003 death of his wife during a trip to Australia's Great Barrier Reef.
He was to stand trial in the Queensland state Supreme Court for murder, which carried a potential sentence of life in prison, until the prosecution accepted the guilty plea to the lesser charge.
"I have formed the view that this sentence is manifestly inadequate and the state will therefore lodge an appeal against the sentence in the Queensland Court of Appeal," Queensland Attorney General Cameron Dick told state parliament Thursday.

Hi SuzieQ, You'll think I'm a bit daft, but I do believe that she will have true Justice in this case. There is an undercurrent building to make sure this happens and the perp will end up losing his freedom forever for planning how to get rid of her while scuba diving in a foreign country and gain riches from her death from the insurance policy he had in place on her life.

Big RED flag to have an insurance policy on your newly betrothed by the time of the honeymoon, much less such a hefty one to boot! How often does one see that?

Thank goodness the Attorney General went before the State Parliament to plead his case. I bet that seldom happens. IMO

They did prove that if she started falling down to the ocean floor where he said she did, she would have ended up in a different spot from where she was found. The TV show I saw on CTV explained that and they said it proved he was lying and had killed her. Plain and simple.

I'm not worried now about Justice. She will have it for posterity's sake. And I hope this slimeball rots in you know where! xoxoxox

Watson is about to be released in November. However, Alabama authorities want to charge him with murder through kidnapping by trick. Alabama has been trying to assure Queensland authorities they won't seek the death penalty.

Well, about time!

Police to hand over Watson dossier

Queensland Police will hand over all the evidence they have against honeymoon killer Gabe Watson after receiving a new assurance he won't face the death penalty in Alabama.

Queensland Attorney-General Cameron Dick says he's satisfied with a fresh promise from Alabama authorities that Watson won't end up on death row in his home state.

Watson is currently serving an 18-month prison term in a Queensland jail, after pleading guilty to Tina's manslaughter during a dive on the Great Barrier Reef in 2003.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/police-to-hand-over-watson-dossier-20100907-14yd7.html

Mother of killed US diver Tina Watson angry over book about her death in Australia.

THE mother of a woman killed by her husband during a honeymoon dive trip in Queensland has hit out at a new book about the death.

Honeymoon Dive, was written without the approval of Tina Watson's family, by James Cook University journalism lecturer Lindsay Simpson and Australian journalist Jennifer Cooke, reported the Townsville Bulletin.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...ath-in-australia/story-e6frfku0-1225912167168

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2010/08/31/166711_news.html

Queensland rejects Alabama Attorney-General's claims of delays in Gabe Watson case.

QUEENSLAND authorities have rejected a claim that they have delayed providing evidence in the case of Gabe Watson, whose wife Tina died while scuba-diving.

Outgoing Alabama Attorney-General Troy King has threatened that he could seek the death penalty for Watson, who is serving 18 months’ prison in Queensland over the 2003 death, if the Bligh government does not supply the US with additional evidence for a court trial.

But Queensland Attorney-General Cameron Dick said he strenuously rejected assertions from Mr King that the state had dragged its feet on handing over complementary evidence in the matter.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...gabe-watson-case/story-e6frg6nf-1225913326812

Gabe Watson 'deserved murder trial' .

ANDY TOULSON

May 29th, 2010

For the first time in their six-year investigation, Townsville detectives have broken their silence about the death of American bride Tina Watson - and talk to the Townsville Bulletin's ANDY TOULSON

THE detectives who investigated the Gabe Watson case have no doubt he killed his bride, Tina.

Townsville police officers Detective Sergeant Gary Campbell and Detective Senior Constable Kevin Gehringer spoke yesterday of the gruelling demands of the ongoing investigation into the tragic death of American bride Tina Thomas Watson, and their unwavering conviction that her husband of just 11 days, Gabe Watson, murdered her.

''We still stand by the findings of our original investigation, and that of (now-retired) Townsville coroner David Glasgow, that there was sufficient evidence found for Watson to face trial, and that a jury, properly instructed, could find him guilty of murder,'' Det-Sgt Campbell said.

''We believed that then, and we still believe it now. We are 100 per cent believe we got this right.''

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2010/05/29/142411_news.html

There's a comment by Cindy Thomas, Tina's mother, below the article.

Many thanks to Salem for adding Tina's name to the tread title. :)

Result today on Gabe Watson, accused of killing wife Tina on their honeymoon
by Tuck Thompson: The Courier-Mail October 23, 2010 6:24AM

GRAND jury deliberations have finished in the US about the fate of Gabe Watson, accused of killing his wife on their honeymoon.

Neither the prosecution nor defence will comment on the outcome of the Alabama grand jury hearing overnight but a result is expected later today.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-their-honeymoon/story-e6freoof-1225942552105

Indications Gabe Watson will stand trial, accused of killing wife Tina on their honeymoon by Tuck Thompson: The Courier-Mail October 23, 2010 8:23AM

Tina Watson's father Tommy Thomas was smiling as he left the court in Watson's home state of Alabama, where a grand jury has finished deliberating whether Watson should stand trial charged with murder for money and kidnapping by trick.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-their-honeymoon/story-e6freoof-1225942552105

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back