Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the list I have

33. Geoffrey Owen ( currently thru 1/2 evidence )

Thanks so much for listing the witnesses who have appeared so far. :)

I noticed the one that I have isolated in your post. Only ½ his evidence so far?

I wonder why that is.
I am wondering if it is anything to do with the searches at Logans Crossing and Herons Creek. Did they reserve his further testimony until their searches were completed (and any forensic evidence found there had been tested)?

Or perhaps they just ran out of time in Taree so they will finish up with him later?

I still have questions about the lady in the speeding car.

---the witness didn't say anything about the child screaming for help or being upset. Did they tell him something believable to calm him down, as he was being torn away from his sister and family?

---why wasn't he placed in the trunk/boot of the car so no one would see a child in a Spiderman suit, standing by the window?

But what was that comment that was written somewhere that his sister convinced him after two weeks to go to the police?

Here it is .... "several" weeks later

Lia Harris‏Verified account @LiaJHarris Aug 27
Mr Chapman said his sister eventually convinced him to go to police “several weeks later”. @10NewsFirst @10Daily
That^^^ is partially what makes me doubt the story. If he really did, 100% know what happened to William that day, how could he not share that 1st hand with investigators?

Sure I'd want to be out of there fast. But not so fast that everyone would be staring at my c ar and be able to describe me. Going the legal limit and not creating unwanted attention would be preferable to getting out of the area a minute or two faster.
Im thinking it took longer that expected and panic set in..maybe they were waiting for the other child..so result was get out fast..plus i think they went via the track..may have taken wrong way and worried police on the way

It's also not much, considering the man lost his livelihood (as I believe, the sole breadwinner for the family/household) for the past 4.5 years and likely for the remainder of his life since he is now 65 years old and may not be able to rebuild his business at this point; plus his legal fees for inquest representation alone. Plus they had their grandchildren removed from their home, which may or may not have had a financial impact, and it has been said that he also lost his home, which I believe means they needed to move (large home if it was just the two of them), even though it was rented. Also, I am not sure how your government pensions over there work, or if you even have those(??), but if that happened here, the greatly reduced income would have had a negative financial impact on the amount he would receive for his pension starting at his retirement. One million seems low to me as well. jmo.

Just so others may better understand our Aussie attitude towards Spedding's lawsuits .... Australia is not a country that indulges in millions of lawsuits to gain compensation. I am not saying that lawsuits do not happen here, they do. But not to the extent that they seem to happen elsewhere.

Aussies often just suck it up when various forms of damage happen to us. We made it through, we are alive, we go on in the best manner we can.

And when a person sues several entities over the same/similar thing, it looks like money grabbing to us. Something which is not respected.

Further self-inflicted reputation damage is happening to Spedding now. imo

Last edited:
I still have questions about the lady in the speeding car.

---the witness didn't say anything about the child screaming for help or being upset. Did they tell him something believable to calm him down, as he was being torn away from his sister and family?

If this was the case, surely the child would have been placed onto a seat in the car, buckled into a seatbelt ... some sort of typical normalcy.

Thanks so much for listing the witnesses who have appeared so far. :)

I noticed the one that I have isolated in your post. Only ½ his evidence so far?

I wonder why that is.
I am wondering if it is anything to do with the searches at Logans Crossing and Herons Creek. Did they reserve his further testimony until their searches were completed (and any forensic evidence found there had been tested)?

Or perhaps they just ran out of time in Taree so they will finish up with him later?

In my opinion he is only half way thru due to a person he was asked about at the inquest and I feel the search was sparked because of that person once living close to where they recently searched. I also have a feeling this said person is the witness that is currently in custody and I'm guessing he gave evidence via closed court. This person is high up on the radar IMO

It’s odd no one else I’d Laurel street heard or saw these revving accelerating speeding cars AFAIK

I agree - even if he was the only one to see William in his Spider Man suit, how did no one else in the neighborhood notice two cars high tailing it out of there? I’m not sure how reliable this witness is... :(

In my opinion he is only half way thru due to a person he was asked about at the inquest and I feel the search was sparked because of that person once living close to where they recently searched. I also have a feeling this said person is the witness that is currently in custody and I'm guessing he gave evidence via closed court. This person is high up on the radar IMO

I am guessing that would be Frank Abbott.

Lia Harris‏Verified account @LiaJHarris 1m1 minute ago
Mr Owen is asked about a man he knew named Frank Abbott, who lived in the area. The court heard Abbott was also a “jack of all trades” at the time. @10NewsFirst @10Daily

Why would they need Geoff Owen to come back for further testimony though? Surely they could have asked him everything that he knew in one sitting.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if they often sang “Hallelujah” at school assembly and also what was the school song.
I’m underwhelmed by the walk through, the only person to maybe vouch for them was pretty vague.
Considering both BS and MS were there, what are the odds that neither of them remember anyone, and no one seems to remeber either of them. The odds are all halved by the fact there were two of them.

Its all very well to say this was months later, but didnt BS give long statement within a week or so of Williams disappearance, you would realise at that point how significant the morning was, and that’s when you would go over who you saw and save the memory.

Do a test yourself, think of somewhere you went in last couple of weeks where there were people you knew. i’d be surprised if anyone couldnt remember a few.

I am guessing that would be Frank Abbott.

Lia Harris‏Verified account @LiaJHarris 1m1 minute ago
Mr Owen is asked about a man he knew named Frank Abbott, who lived in the area. The court heard Abbott was also a “jack of all trades” at the time. @10NewsFirst @10Daily

Why would they need Geoff Owen to come back for further testimony though? Surely they could have asked him everything that he knew in one sitting.

Yes Frank Abbott, if the search is related to him from info produced to the Coroner and it turned up something it would then need to be a Police Investigation, if charges were to be laid it would then be heard in a criminal court and not a coroner's court. So maybe they've stopped Owen's evidence in case it's needed in the criminal court

Can anyone tell me if they often sang “Hallelujah” at school assembly and also what was the school song.
I’m underwhelmed by the walk through, the only person to maybe vouch for them was pretty vague.
Considering both BS and MS were there, what are the odds that neither of them remember anyone, and no one seems to remeber either of them. The odds are all halved by the fact there were two of them.

Its all very well to say this was months later, but didnt BS give long statement within a week or so of Williams disappearance, you would realise at that point how significant the morning was, and that’s when you would go over who you saw and save the memory.

Do a test yourself, think of somewhere you went in last couple of weeks where there were people you knew. i’d be surprised if anyone couldnt remember a few.

Yes, underwhelmed here as well.

I wonder if the grandson told Spedding what else went on at the assembly ... Hallelujah, Three Little Pigs spoof.
And perhaps it was commented on, photos published, in the school newsletter after the assembly.

Spedding did say, in his walkthrough, that the school camera would be/was set up in the middle area of the assembly hall to take video/photos.

Last edited:
Yes Frank Abbott, if the search is related to him from info produced to the Coroner and it turned up something it would then need to be a Police Investigation, if charges were to be laid it would then be heard in a criminal court and not a coroner's court. So maybe they've stopped Owen's evidence in case it's needed in the criminal court

Yes, okay. I understand where you are coming from now (I think).

So perhaps Owen feels that he, himself, may be criminally implicated too ... by giving any further testimony at the inquest.
Otherwise he could have just given his further testimony in closed court or under suppression. imo

Was Geoff Owen legally represented at the inquest?

BBM:

School Song
From our school we see the mountain and the river flowing past,
In our town we see the faces that we’ve come to know and trust.
With our friends we strive to live our lives the way we know we must,
Here in Laurieton, here in our school.
This is Laurieton....Public School.
There is time for us to learn about responsibility,
And respect for those around us and the joy of being free.
In this special place we love so much we’re very proud to be,
Here in Laurieton, here in our school.
This is Laurieton.....Public School.

(Don't want to supply the link, due to all the kids in it.)

So perhaps Owen feels that he, himself, may be criminally implicated too ... by giving any further testimony at the inquest.
Otherwise he could have just given his further testimony in closed court or under suppression. imo

If someone was charged over William, then the inquest would take a different turn on how it would run wouldn't it??

If someone was charged and it landed in criminal court, then there would be no need for an inquest at the capacity it is/was running at. If evidence was given at an inquest could there be problems with the same evidence being heard at a criminal court?? Could the defence use this as getting their client off??

From memory they had a closed court session, Geoff Owen took stand and then a day or 2 after that's when a new search begun. Then wk after inquest postponed, did something come up in those 3/4 brown evidence bags that were taken away??

Remember there's a link between GO and RD (darts?; RD was thought to be trying to implicate GO). Then FA is mentioned as someone GO knew at least by sight. I wonder about a connection between RD and FA then. Especially if, as was suggested above, FA is in gaol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288