Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
A controversial $7.8million child sex offender register publishing the names and locations of paedophiles could be given the go-ahead at upcoming government talks.

The register - which was announced by the Coalition in April and will also include offenders' aliases, dates of birth and general nature of offending - was praised by Daniel Morcombe's father Bruce as 'the best thing in this year's budget'.

New child sex offender register 'naming and shaming' paedophiles could be given the go-ahead | Daily Mail Online

A controversial $7.8million child sex offender register publishing the names and locations of paedophiles could be given the go-ahead at upcoming government talks.

The register - which was announced by the Coalition in April and will also include offenders' aliases, dates of birth and general nature of offending - was praised by Daniel Morcombe's father Bruce as 'the best thing in this year's budget'.

New child sex offender register 'naming and shaming' paedophiles could be given the go-ahead | Daily Mail Online
That's good, i think Australia really needs it from what i have read. Perhaps they could change the laws for sentencing for child predators that are convicted of those crimes as well?

BBM, I take it you're referring to the new case, the one against the police. I wonder too. Perhaps he's accepted a settlement offer.

Honestly? The police would - or even could - settle a lawsuit against them between the time of the filing (early September) and now? This is taxpayers money we are speaking of here. A government concern. Bureaucratic red tape.

With part of the settlement being "go ahead and speak publicly on Four Corners about how the police 'pursued' you"?

Man Sues NSW Police Force for Reputational Damage

Last edited:

About time.

Honestly? The police would - or even could - settle a lawsuit against them between the time of the filing (early September) and now? This is taxpayers money we are speaking of here. A government concern. Bureaucratic red tape.

With part of the settlement being "go ahead and speak publicly on Four Corners about how the police 'pursued' you"?

Man Sues NSW Police Force for Reputational Damage
Those would be my reservations as well.

But as to the first point, I wonder if he'd been offered compensation before, without admission of wrongdoing by the state, and turned it down as not enough. So the thing was already in hand and they were somewhat ready with their next offer.

As to the second, I can only say that it seems unfair to deny him the chance to try to remedy the damage himself.

However--we've sometimes seen cases seem to disappear and it turned out it was just a processing delay in the courts updating their public lists.

Those would be my reservations as well.

But as to the first point, I wonder if he'd been offered compensation before, without admission of wrongdoing by the state, and turned it down as not enough. So the thing was already in hand and they were somewhat ready with their next offer.

As to the second, I can only say that it seems unfair to deny him the chance to try to remedy the damage himself.

However--we've sometimes seen cases seem to disappear and it turned out it was just a processing delay in the courts updating their public lists.

The other thing I have considered is that the filing of the lawsuit may not have been a 'serious' move by his lawyer. In other words, he filed it and then withdrew it at some point later. Spedding has not been officially cleared yet, as far as we know.

And now they are all going on Four Corners to make yet another public point.

Point #1 - O'Brien's comments to the media about Spedding's alibi and suing the police
Point #2 - Spedding's little prepared speech outside the inquest court
Point #3 - File a lawsuit against the police, and have media report on it (then withdraw it)
Point #4 - Find a TV interviewer who will interview along the lines you wish an interview to go

Peter O'Brien seems pretty adept at utilising the media to his advantage. In much the same manner as the police can utilise the media to assist them.

The other thing I have considered is that the filing of the lawsuit may not have been a 'serious' move by his lawyer. In other words, he filed it and then withdrew it at some point later. Spedding has not been officially cleared yet, as far as we know.

And now they are all going on Four Corners to make yet another public point.

Point #1 - O'Brien's comments to the media about Spedding's alibi and suing the police
Point #2 - Spedding's little prepared speech outside the inquest court
Point #3 - File a lawsuit against the police, and have media report on it (then withdraw it)
Point #4 - Find a TV interviewer who will interview along the lines you wish an interview to go

Peter O'Brien seems pretty adept at utilising the media to his advantage. In much the same manner as the police can utilise the media to assist them.
That sounds like abuse of process and if so I wouldn't think Peter O'Brien would go in for it. Only guessing however.

That sounds like abuse of process and if so I wouldn't think Peter O'Brien would go in for it. Only guessing however.

Just not seeing how he can file a lawsuit at this point in time, and expect to be successful.

Eg:
Spedding not officially cleared.

Using (what he professes) the same tactic as the police, in using the media, to draw attention to Spedding.

Spedding admitting about the police "... they're only doing their job"
Police visit home of Bill Spedding in William Tyrrell case | Daily Mail Online

Jubes showing compassion and concern "I've said to your husband that the media coverage is very unfair".
https://www.smh.com.au/national/we-...am-tyrrell-disappearance-20190826-p52kso.html

The multitude of media on other persons and events, indicating a balanced approach to me:
- NSW Crime Stoppers have urged Crime Stoppers websites in 26 countries to post a message about William's abduction last year, urging anybody with information on the case to contact Australian police.
- Police are honing in on five “high priority person of interest” suspects linked to the disappearance of toddler William Tyrrell in the hopes of firming up a coronial inquiry later this year

Last edited:
Just not seeing how he can file a lawsuit at this point in time, and expect to be successful.

Eg:
Spedding not officially cleared.

Using (what he professes) the same tactic as the police, in using the media, to draw attention to Spedding.

Spedding admitting about the police "... they're only doing their job"
Police visit home of Bill Spedding in William Tyrrell case | Daily Mail Online

Jubes showing compassion and concern "I've said to your husband that the media coverage is very unfair".
https://www.smh.com.au/national/we-...am-tyrrell-disappearance-20190826-p52kso.html

The multitude of media on other persons and events, indicating a balanced approach to me:
- NSW Crime Stoppers have urged Crime Stoppers websites in 26 countries to post a message about William's abduction last year, urging anybody with information on the case to contact Australian police.
- Police are honing in on five “high priority person of interest” suspects linked to the disappearance of toddler William Tyrrell in the hopes of firming up a coronial inquiry later this year

BBM, You keep stating BS has not been cleared. The trials as we know are finished because there was no evidence to obtain a conviction.
So after a criminal trial who would clear a defendant anyway? I would think the lack of conviction speaks for itself IMO. But people can in their own minds feel however they want about him, but it doesn't make it a fact.
(quote)
Tip-off led to investigation
The ABC has been told police received a tip-off from a mystery person that Mr Spedding was a paedophile.

Police investigated the allegations and charged him with historical child sex offences, but all of them were dropped or dismissed because there was no evidence.

Mr Spedding has always denied these allegations and his legal team allege the charges were laid as part of a smear campaign to put pressure on him.
Washing machine repairman demanding $1 million over Tyrrell investigation

In a victim statement the child, now aged in her 30s, claims she was either thrown against a wall or off the bed when she woke to found herself being raped.

Court documents reveal that the mother and grandmother of the victim recall the three-year-old being greatly troubled by pain in her vagina and telling them that 'Bill did it', according to SMH.

Bill Spedding's son backs his dad over missing William Tyrrell case | Daily Mail Online
Media must have been alliwed to view the statement..or maybe they were told by someone what the statement contained..i was at trial and that particular statement was not made.

Well it is his story after all..hes waited long enough dont you think?

Not really, until the Investigation is complete I don't think it's time. Even though I don't believe myself that he is involved, as I have stated many times, I don't think he has been totally cleared at this point.

Just to Add: I think people defending Mr Spedding have forgotten that this thread is about William, not BS.

Yes, it has been about BS as a POI, but a little boy has been lost. Please remember that when responding.

I don't really care about BS, it's William I'm here for.

Last edited:
Well it is his story after all..hes waited long enough dont you think?
I agree, he has his side to tell also. And under the circumstances at the time we have no idea as to what was going on in that household 30 years ago?
As terrible as child SA is and victims definitely need & deserve justice, it can happen that a partner is wrongfully accused in a contentious relationship/divorce, and it's not unheard of.
The children's mother in this case was noted for her bizarre behaviours and accusing of other men too. And was also grounds to believe the young children were coached to accuse BS. So as stated who knows what all was going on in their lives with Hillsley also having access and threatening to do awful things to his nieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa