Autopsy Report - UCF Osteological Analysis-Duct Tape Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I want to clarify is that it wouldn't take hours for the eyes and mouth to fall open after death.
In reality I don;t even think what I suggested is what happened. I was just throwing it out there.
No, it wouldn't take that long. If it happens it will happen prior to rigor setting in. Rigor occurs quickly and begins first in the face. If the tape was applied to keep the mouth closed, it would have to be placed prior to rigor. She would not be able to close the mouth with tape if it was frozen open during rigor mortis.

The duct tape evidence is what I consider to be proof beyond a reasonable doubt that Caylee was murdered INTENTIONALLY with premeditation! This being the element necessary for First Degree Murder-Premeditated which is what she was charged with.
Three strands covering her mouth and nose and adhering to her head hair! NOT one, but THREE, overlapping! The Huck case in Florida is what argument would be used for the state to appeal on, if the jury did not find premeditation! The state can appeal a not guilty verdict, correct? OH, no ....she can't be tried for the same crime more than once, I forgot. Isn't that Double Jeopardy?

The duct tape evidence is what I consider to be proof beyond a reasonable doubt that Caylee was murdered INTENTIONALLY with premeditation! This being the element necessary for First Degree Murder-Premeditated which is what she was charged with.
Three strands covering her mouth and nose and adhering to her head hair! NOT one, but THREE, overlapping! The Huck case in Florida is what argument would be used for the state to appeal on, if the jury did not find premeditation! The state can appeal a not guilty verdict, correct? OH, no ....she can't be tried for the same crime more than once, I forgot. Isn't that Double Jeopardy?

If the jury does find premeditation and the defense appeals on the grounds that the jury didn't consider a reasonable hypothesis of duct tape being applied after death, the justices may uphold the conviction citing the Huck case and the opinion that duct tape after death is unreasonable.

No, it wouldn't take that long. If it happens it will happen prior to rigor setting in. Rigor occurs quickly and begins first in the face. If the tape was applied to keep the mouth closed, it would have to be placed prior to rigor. She would not be able to close the mouth with tape if it was frozen open during rigor mortis.
graphic,sorry
My mom passed away in March in the nursing home.Many of us sat with her.The last few hours her mouth was opening wider and wider as she struggled to breath[breathing slows and get shallow during most natural deaths].Once her breathing stopped the nurse closed her mouth .Looking back I'm sure it stayed closed.She was laying down in the bed and my dad was next to her.He has AZ was not aware she had passed.We told him so he could spend a moment with her before he had to leave the room [whole nother story!]. Her mouth stayed closed.
My son's mouth was closed at the hospital after he died.An intubation tube was in at first,but the coroner removed it. No tape was used.
Not sure if the medical people do anything special,but they don't use duct tape .
Please,no condolences.Just my experience as many others on here have had :blowkiss:

:blowkiss: Miss J that kiss was for myself, just felt compelled to acknowledge your life experience. Lets be honest, now more than when we were first told about the duct tape It seems reasnable that the debate would point to pre death verses post death because in my opinion KC never would want to see or deal with gore seepage of a body 2 to four days of bloating and four days to 7?:blowkiss: days of gore bursting out. Tape after killing Caylee to show kidnapping is way off the mark as that wouldn't appear to be KC way of thinking or actions. KC had her stuffed with no thought except to hide the body thinking those remains would be never be found and probably had tossed over in her mind the scenario if the body was found. Lets say LE didn't arrest KC and all the sudden the body's found with all the trimmings surrounding Caylee's body pointing to the A's home. What would KC say when told of the ductape with heart on her daughter? I would think she might say, "They bound her and killed her!" Premeditation all the way! I don't think we would hear say, "My goodness Zanny taped her mouth, put a heart on it to stop gore leakage accompanied by decomp. I guess proving the KC human condition causing her to plan such a deed may be difficult. Perry Mason where are you?

I was only suggesting that perhaps if Caylee's eyes and mouth remained open perhaps it was an nuisance to KC and she taped her up. I wasn't suggesting it was reasonable or common practice. I was just trying to think of any reason to use tape after death and it was the only one I could think of. Sometimes people tie scarves around the mandible to keep the mouth shut and it isn't uncommon to use superglue to shut the eyes.

I was only suggesting that perhaps if Caylee's eyes and mouth remained open perhaps it was an nuisance to KC and she taped her up. I wasn't suggesting it was reasonable or common practice. I was just trying to think of any reason to use tape after death and it was the only one I could think of. Sometimes people tie scarves around the mandible to keep the mouth shut and it isn't uncommon to use superglue to shut the eyes.
You are right.

Way back in the 1800's scarves were used to prevent the "screaming mummy" effect that comes after the jaw drops down as the muscles relax and decompose after rigor mortis.
http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/screaming_mummy/

Nowadays embalmers sew mouths closed for a natural effect.
http://www.snydersembalming.com/tips-mouthclosure.htm

The scarves that were used during the 1800's were tied under the chin and over the top of the deceased person's head. The "Screaming Mummy" article describes how. If KC had done THAT, even if she used duct tape, Caylee's pretty face could have been seen and any gaping mouth closed. One strip of tape under the chin and over the head would have done it. But that wasn't what KC did.

KC plastered over Caylee's mouth and NOSE with 3 layers of tape. In my book that is "deliberate" taping for a reason. And not a reason related to post mortum cosmetics.

Duct taping over half of a face is in itself disfiguring.

And you gotta admit, KC walking arm-in-arm with Tony through Blockbuster hardly looks like she's traumatized from her baby's accidental death or freakin out from the sight of her baby's open dead mouth. She isn't acting like someone who is hysterical from just taping up dead baby's face in an effort to "help", either.

Shoot, KC was on the phone and her computer so much on June 16, I think when she killed Caylee she got straight down to business. I see her killing Caylee as quickly as possible, putting Caylee in the bags, pitching Caylee in her trunk or Caylee's sandbox and then getting the heck out of the Anthony house before somebody got home.

It isn't like KC did anything that shows a whole lot of thought to respectfully putting little Caylee to rest. Caylee was dressed in a t-shirt and in trash bags. All those beautiful clothes in Caylee's closet and Caylee was left in a t-shirt! Not one single item from Caylee's overflowing room full of toys was left with her for comfort.

JMO

KC is a spiteful, ignorant B&^#) IMO She put the tape there because she was in a rage and acted out. Just like she's always done. She is a spoiled brat.

Lemme at her...GRRR

You are right.

Way back in the 1800's scarves were used to prevent the "screaming mummy" effect that comes after the jaw drops down as the muscles relax and decompose after rigor mortis.

The scarves that were used during the 1800's were tied under the chin and over the top of the deceased person's head. The "Screaming Mummy" article describes how. If KC had done THAT, even if she used duct tape, Caylee's pretty face could have been seen and any gaping mouth closed. One strip of tape under the chin and over the head would have done it. But that wasn't what KC did.

KC plastered over Caylee's mouth and NOSE with 3 layers of tape. In my book that is "deliberate" taping for a reason. And not a reason related to post mortum cosmetics.

And you gotta admit, KC walking arm-in-arm with Tony through Blockbuster hardly looks like she's traumatized from her baby's accidental death or freakin out from the sight of her baby's open dead mouth. She isn't acting like someone who is hysterical from just taping up dead baby's face in an effort to "help", either.

Shoot, KC was on the phone and her computer so much on June 16, I think when she killed Caylee she got straight down to business. I see her killing Caylee as quickly as possible, putting Caylee in the bags, pitching Caylee in her trunk or Caylee's sandbox and then getting the heck out of the Anthony house before somebody got home.

It isn't like KC did anything that shows a whole lot of thought to respectfully putting little Caylee to rest. Caylee was dressed in a t-shirt and in trash bags. All those beautiful clothes in Caylee's closet and Caylee was left in a t-shirt! Not one single item from Caylee's overflowing room full of toys was left with her for comfort.

JMO
:confused::confused:Post mortem cosmetics?! I was thinking more along the lines of sick behavior.
It has nothing to do with respect for her daughter but rather the ultimate disrespect and just to cover up what she had done. I didn't imply she was traumatized or freaking out, but I specifically chose the words annoyed and nuisance because that's all it might have been to KC.

BBM

That Dr. G determined the means of death to be homicide when Dr. G had the choice of undetermined (which leaves open the possibility of natural causes or accident), to me, says a lot.

So does the state going for the death penalty.

Dr. G didn't make her determination in a void. Neither did the state of Florida. Any and all possibilities were taken into account before they reached their conclusions. Those who make up the Florida Supreme Court didn't find the hypothesis of taping up a victim's face after death to be believable either.

In the Brent Huck vs Florida appeal, one of the grounds for appeal was that jurors erred because tape could have been put over the victims mouth, nose and eyes after death.

"Not so!", said the Florida Supreme Court:
More importantly, the assertion that Mr.Huck tapedthe victim's eyes and mouth shut after she died is not particularly reasonable. The only logical reason to tape her eyes and mouth shut would have been to prevent her from seeing, talking,screaming for help, or breathing while she was alive. There is NO logical or reasonable purpose for taping a person's eyes and mouth shut after she is dead.

http://www.denverda.org/DNA_Documents/Huck.pdf (Page 13)

Exactly, I can't reasonably believe that in those moments after a possible accident that KC would (or any mother) even conclude their child was dead... in which I mean that KC would normally be frantic that something had occurred and quickly begin some form of 1st aid, including calling 911.

For me to believe that she determined her child was not only dead, but to came up with duct tape... find it, probably scissors as well... cut 3 or more strips and tape her as she did, is unfathomable. For what purpose?

The kidnapping theory blows right out the window imo as KC not only dumped her close to home but never reported her taken. Yet, she sure spent an extremely surmountable amount of effort to ensure everyone believed Caylee was alive.

The time between death & decomp is minutes or less as previously stated by another poster. That being the case, there had to be a duct tape plan; I can only assume that the duct tape was part of how the child died. Anything else is illogical from everything I've read so far in the released doc's. jmo

You are right.

JMO

Nor did she put her beloved "Mama" doll in the bag with her. To me, that speaks volumes.

Why would he do that? The same gas goes in a lawn mower that goes in the car. The lawn mower might need 2 cycle engine oil added but that is added to the oil tank and not the gas directly as far as I know. Maybe a really old lawn mower would need the gas mixed but not a new mower. I was trying to think if my hubby's chain saw or weed eater needed the gas mixed with the oil but I am pretty sure they do not. If she ran mixed oil and gas through her car, it should cause some kind of car trouble but might need to be a significant amount. I am not sure how long it would take to mess up her engine.

It wouldn't. Lawn mower gas can go into a car engine. Weed eater gas that has had oil mixed in can still go into a car engine and the engine will operate just fine, maybe even better due to the lubrication of the oil.

On the other side, a 2 cycle engine like a weed eater must have the oil mixture or it will ruin the engine.

If KC added either or both cans to her car it would have made no difference in the way it ran.

The Huck case http://www.5dca.org/Opinions/Opin2004/071204/5D03-1906.op.pdf while on appeal used the following snippet.....

"The Florida Supreme Court has held that "expert medical testimony as to the cause of death need not be stated with reasonable certainty in a homicide prosecution and is competent if the expert can show that, in his opinion, the occurrence could cause death or that the occurrence might have or probably did cause death." Buenoano v. State, 527 So. 2d 194, 197-98 (Fla. 1988); see
also Butts v. State, 733 So. 2d 1097, 1101 (Fla. 1st DCA 1999). "

If the Medical examiner in Caylee's case has concluded that the cause of death was the duct tape, and testifies that the placement of such could have caused the death, might have or probably did, then IMO from the above, the jury can rely on that expert testimony to conclude what the cause of death was.

IN her written conclusion the medical examiner, in Caylee's case stated …“Although there is no trauma evident on the skeleton, there is duct tape over the lower facial region still attached to head hair. This duct tape was clearly placed prior to decomposition, keeping the mandible in place.”… p. 6442 evidence number.....while giving her opinion and conclusion.

I realize that she doesn't state simply....." The duct tape is what killed her", but if that is what she means, and it is clarified on the witness stand, the jury could use her expert testimony to conclude premeditation occurred with the application of the duct tape.(in FLORIDA,time to reflect).

I know other states have different standards, but Caylee's case is going to be tried within the jurisdiction of FLORIDA.

Sorry Mods, thought this topic as it relates to FLORIDA law might be interesting as a topic all it's own.

...noting a little (OK...alotuv :rolleyes:) speculation FWIW. I've been away from the topic of tape use for some time...so my apologies if this has already been covered...:bang:

Pings support that Tuesday, 6/17 was indeed the afternoon Casey gave Tony a ride in the Pontiac post-househunting visit w/ Tony's friends.

Speculation that some advance discussion of this may have compelled Casey to get Caylee's body outta the trunk during her first return visit to the house 6/17 2:30-4PM and place it in the playhouse (resulting in K9 alert). With Caylee's body out of the trunk Casey would be less anxious about giving Tony a ride 6/17PM...AND...Casey would've been motivated to return to G&C's ASAP 6/18 to deal w/ it. This scenario would fit Casey's modus operandi of only dealing w/ immediate issues w/o any real plan.

Soooooo...what does this have to do w/ duct tape?

I have been/still am thinking that Casey would've made the minimal effort when it came to handling Caylee's body post-mortem. We've previously discussed the potential that Casey used of duct tape to stem the flow of decomp fluid. And, of course, we've discussed the potential that Casey used the duct tape directly in murdering Caylee. :furious: But...what if the duct tape were used as a barrier? :waitasec:

Perhaps...IF...you follow the speculation that Caylee's body was taken from the trunk of the Pontiac 6/17 and left in the playhouse overnight to facilitate Casey giving Tony a ride post-househunting...THEN...perhaps you'll consider the potential that the duct tape was used in response to the first appearance of flies in/around Caylee's mouth and nostrils. :( IOW...either upon removing the body from the trunk 6/17 and before leaving it that afternoon OR...upon returning to deal with it 6/18 Casey observed flies, etc. collecting. Perhaps the effect this had on Casey :sick: (IOW...not out of concern/respect for Caylee) was enough to prompt her to place the duct tape there as a barrier to the fly activity.

Now - I realize 3 layers might not be necessary to keep flies out...but consider that it may have been overlapped enough to serve the purpose of covering the openings and providing enough adhesion to the face/hair to stay in place. Also consider that this scenario might fit application post-mortem since the tape was placed in strips vs. wrapped all the way around. IOW...Caylee's body lying flat vs. being upright...and not wanting/needing to lift her head to apply it...applying across the openings of the mouth and nostrils. :waitasec:

Perhaps discussed already and I missed it....just, FWIW.

...noting a little (OK...alotuv :rolleyes:) speculation FWIW. I've been away from the topic of tape use for some time...so my apologies if this has already been covered...:bang:

Pings support that Tuesday, 6/17 was indeed the afternoon Casey gave Tony a ride in the Pontiac post-househunting visit w/ Tony's friends.

Speculation that some advance discussion of this may have compelled Casey to get Caylee's body outta the trunk during her first return visit to the house 6/17 2:30-4PM and place it in the playhouse (resulting in K9 alert). With Caylee's body out of the trunk Casey would be less anxious about giving Tony a ride 6/17PM...AND...Casey would've been motivated to return to G&C's ASAP 6/18 to deal w/ it. This scenario would fit Casey's modus operandi of only dealing w/ immediate issues w/o any real plan.

I have been/still am thinking that Casey would've made the minimal effort when it came to handling Caylee's body post-mortem. We've previously discussed the potential that Casey used of duct tape to stem the flow of decomp fluid. And, of course, we've discussed the potential that Casey used the duct tape directly in murdering Caylee. :furious: But...what if the duct tape were used as a barrier? :waitasec:

Perhaps...IF...you follow the speculation that Caylee's body was taken from the trunk of the Pontiac 6/17 and left in the playhouse overnight to facilitate Casey giving Tony a ride post-househunting...THEN...perhaps you'll consider the potential that the duct tape was used in response to the first appearance of flies in/around Caylee's mouth and nostrils. :( IOW...either upon removing the body from the trunk 6/17 and before leaving it that afternoon OR...upon returning to deal with it 6/18 Casey observed flies, etc. collecting. Perhaps the effect this had on Casey :sick: (IOW...not out of concern/respect for Caylee) was enough to prompt her to place the duct tape there as a barrier to the fly activity.

Now - I realize 3 layers might not be necessary to keep flies out...but consider that it may have been overlapped enough to serve the purpose of covering the openings and providing enough adhesion to the face/hair to stay in place. Also consider that this scenario might fit application post-mortem since the tape was placed in strips vs. wrapped all the way around. IOW...Caylee's body lying flat vs. being upright...and not wanting/needing to lift her head to apply it...applying across the openings of the mouth and nostrils. :waitasec:

BBM. Bond, you never cease to amaze!!!! Maybe if I slowed down on the sweet nectar/memory erasers a tad I might be as S-M-R-T as you are:blushing:

The tape might have reached far enough back to cover the ears, also, if it was long enough to keep the mandible attached.

Only question would be whether there would have been too much decomposition by June 17 in the afternoon for the tape to stick properly, if Caylee's body had been kept in a hot Florida trunk since (probably) at least the late afternoon of June 16. I think there would definitely be too much decomp for her to successfully apply tape on June 18 (note the coroner said tape applied before decomp, presumably for this very reason).

So...following along this rabbit-trail...if there were flies apparent on June 17 when the trunk was opened, doesn't this mean that Caylee was dead and outdoors for at least some short period of time (even 10 minutes would be enough, from what I recall of the articles we all read) prior to being placed in the trunk?

I suppose there would have been insects attached to the sticky side (inside) of the tape at some point as well, but probably those would not have stayed in place after the body was just bones and the sticky side of the tape was no longer sticky.

The tape might have reached far enough back to cover the ears, also, if it was long enough to keep the mandible attached.

Only question would be whether there would have been too much decomposition by June 17 in the afternoon for the tape to stick properly, if Caylee's body had been kept in a hot Florida trunk since (probably) at least the late afternoon of June 16. I think there would definitely be too much decomp for her to successfully apply tape on June 18 (note the coroner said tape applied before decomp, presumably for this very reason).

So...following along this rabbit-trail...if there were flies apparent on June 17 when the trunk was opened, doesn't this mean that Caylee was dead and outdoors for at least some short period of time (even 10 minutes would be enough, from what I recall of the articles we all read) prior to being placed in the trunk?

I suppose there would have been insects attached to the sticky side (inside) of the tape at some point as well, but probably those would not have stayed in place after the body was just bones and the sticky side of the tape was no longer sticky.

Excellent points, AZ. (Expecting nothing less, of course :) )

The degree of decomp making 6/17 (vs. 6/18) a more plausible option for affixing tape makes perfect sense. :thumb:

Speculating further on 'when'... exposure to flies could've happened
(a) anywhere on 6/16 relatively soon after the event,
(b) upon opening the trunk arriving @ G&C's 6/17,
(c) or even as late as in the playhouse 6/17 before Casey left @ 4PM.​

Expanding on (b) and (c) I can envision Casey multi-tasking 6/17. She could've opened the trunk and taken the body out to the playhouse immediately upon arriving, OR, opened the trunk and gone inside to start copying computer files, gathering clothes, etc. With either option she could've checked on the body (envisioning sorta wrapped in the WTP blanket for handling purposes FWIW...perhaps JWG would offer the seafoam carpet from the back porch) before leaving...noticed the fly activity... and then been moved to fetch the duct tape.

Pure speculation...but since clothes hangers were found in the Pontiac trunk post-7/15...perhaps it would've made sense to take the body out first to make room for clothes from the closet...which eventually were taken off the hangers and worn before moving them in w/ Tony. On 6/17 IF there was already a decomp stain in the bottom of the trunk (maybe just beginning stages) then it was likely very small and not perceptible to Casey...so no reason not to toss clothes in there. In fact...would hafta go back to Tony's statements about when Casey moved her stuff in. Since he was in the car 6/17...IF Casey hadn't moved her stuff in before 6/17...and he didn't see/comment on all her stuff being in the back seat...then, perhaps it was in the trunk outta sight.

IIRC, no rolls of tape were found @ G&C's...only the remnant placed on the gas can. IF we give'em the benefit of the doubt :rolleyes: and say the tape didn't get tossed after Casey's arrest (i.e. even when Casey was out on bond) it would make sense that the tape was applied to Caylee whilst her body lay in the trunk, before being moved to the backyard...which would have the roll of tape being left lazily in the trunk of the car to be discarded later by Casey vs. being applied in the backyard whence it might still be around to be discovered by LE 12/08. :waitasec: This would mean fly activity late-6/16-to-early-6/17...

I believe someone did suggest the presence of insect matter on the adhesive side of the tape would support post vs. peri-mortem placement when we were hashing out those two options. Although...it seems that eventual insect activity @ the disposal site would make it difficult to discern eventually.

Well then Bond, if we go along with this tape as a barrier idea, how did Caylee die? What would have led Dr. G to her conclusion that Caylee's death was due to homicide?

I'm not trying to be a pain in the assumption, but...

The "ewww factor" of placing tape on a decomposing body is more than I think KC could have handled. Heck!! Even I couldn't see myself doing that if I was trying to clean up after committing that kind of crime.

You are way more imaginative than I am and a hell of lot smarter, but I just don't see the tape being used as a barrier. I'm sticking with it being the cause of death.

Great theory, but I just can't see KC taping Caylee's mouth postmortem either. Maybe flies were the reason for the double bagging.

If KC threw clothes on top of the decomp stain wouldn't they smell at some point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01