AZ AZ - Alissa Turney, 17, Phoenix, 17 May 2001 *stepdad ARREST in 2020, acquitted*

I may have only been half watching the 20/20 but I don't recall what the outcome was on the handwriting analysis on the "note". If one was even conducted.

It looks like MT was posting comments yesterday on a Youtube video on one of the interviews he gave after his release (he ended each post with his initials MRT) and spouting conspiracy theories (Shame on you, you are an American, don't let the news media entertainment or government tell you what to think. Cronkite warned us about this, etc). It looks like at least one of his comments was deleted, and this was in response to people saying how guilty he is, etc. So now the government is conspiring against him? I'm glad 20/20 is covering this case again.

I noticed that MT has been commenting on YouTube videos of his interviews since his release from prison again. Not exactly threatening, but insulting people in comments who know he's guilty. He even ended one of his comments with "MRT, the father of Alissa and Sarah", which is disturbing, considering that he wasn't a father to them at all. Everybody stay safe and report to your local law enforcement if you feel threatened.

Thanks to Sarah for sharing this message and I hope she stays safe as well.

I noticed that MT has been commenting on YouTube videos of his interviews since his release from prison again. Not exactly threatening, but insulting people in comments who know he's guilty. He even ended one of his comments with "MRT, the father of Alissa and Sarah", which is disturbing, considering that he wasn't a father to them at all. Everybody stay safe and report to your local law enforcement if you feel threatened.

Thanks to Sarah for sharing this message and I hope she stays safe as well.
makes me wonder how long until he finds WS.

"I'm shaking and I'm crying. We did it," Sarah Turney, Alissa's sister, posted on social media. "He's been arrested ... Never give up hope that you can get justice. It took almost 20 years but we did it." ❤️

Michael Turney, 72, made his first court appearance Friday where a judge denied him a reduction in bond. He is due back in court next Friday.

Alissa Turney disappeared in May 2001, the last day of her junior year at Paradise Valley High School in Phoenix.

alyssa-turney-main-ht-jt-200821_1598039118977_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

In 2009, Michael Turney told ABC News he returned home the day she disappeared to discover she had left a note and said he immediately began looking for her. Her stepfather also said he got a call from her a week later, which would have been the last known contact.

Sarah also spoke to ABC News in 2009, at the time standing by her father's innocence. But in recent years, she has worked to raise awareness about what she's concluded to be her father's guilt, posting on social media with #JusticeforAlissa and working on her podcast, "Voices for Justice."

During the press conference, officials credited Alissa's sister, Sarah, for her perseverance in this case.

This article is old- from 2020. I don’t want anyone to get their hopes up. :(

Watched the Dateline on this story tonight: The Day Alissa Disappeared. Quite a sad story.

Need a legal expert to weigh in on the question of being retried……. but I don’t believe the accused can be charged or retried for the charges for which he was acquitted; would likely be double jeopardy. (I believe that was second degree murder?) So if new evidence or a stronger case to support a different charge (first degree or premeditated or lesser charge of manslaughter?) perhaps he can be tried for that? Or perhaps different charges or federal charges?

And one would hope the sister or family consider a civil suit on some front as some others may have indicated. With different standards and obtaining evidence it might bring to light some things that would help with another or different charge or prosecution or answers as to her whereabouts or disappearance. And I believe the standard would be a preponderance of evidence vs. reasonable doubt. But may also depend on state or other law.
MOO

Watched the Dateline on this story tonight: The Day Alissa Disappeared. Quite a sad story.

Need a legal expert to weigh in on the question of being retried……. but I don’t believe the accused can be charged or retried for the charges for which he was acquitted; would likely be double jeopardy. (I believe that was second degree murder?) So if new evidence or a stronger case to support a different charge (first degree or premeditated or lesser charge of manslaughter?) perhaps he can be tried for that? Or perhaps different charges or federal charges?

And one would hope the sister or family consider a civil suit on some front as some others may have indicated. With different standards and obtaining evidence it might bring to light some things that would help with another or different charge or prosecution or answers as to her whereabouts or disappearance. And I believe the standard would be a preponderance of evidence vs. reasonable doubt. But may also depend on state or other law.
MOO
A slight update to my earlier thoughts - Not quite sure of specifics, and I am not a lawyer:

But on the ‘acquittal’. Was the defendant actually acquitted, or was the case dismissed and/or a verdict rendered based on insufficient evidence to render an actual conviction for the given charges? This gets slightly confusing perhaps, to me anyway. And there might be subtle legal differences in each of the different scenarios? MOO

A slight update to my earlier thoughts - Not quite sure of specifics, and I am not a lawyer:

But on the ‘acquittal’. Was the defendant actually acquitted, or was the case dismissed and/or a verdict rendered based on insufficient evidence to render an actual conviction for the given charges? This gets slightly confusing perhaps, to me anyway. And there might be subtle legal differences in each of the different scenarios? MOO
Sarah (Alissa's Sister) might talk about that on here.

I have not had time to watch it yet.

Imagine thinking this man could have been wrongfully accused. The unfortunate reality is that as ex LE & with 7 years to cover his tracks, and exactly zero searches for Alissa… it was the perfect crime.

I almost choked with her last comment. LOL

Anyone who has experience with a Narcissist can hear the gaslighting and manipulation. His complete mistrust in LE also makes me remember how my parents taught me with every finger pointed at someone there is 3 pointing back at you or something similar. So... what rules did he bend/break when he was in LE that made him realize how easy it was for LE to do something shady? Unfortunately, I don't think he will ever admit to anything. Maybe he will leave information for Sarah after he dies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52
Back