AZ - BRYAN PATRICK MILLER - Victims: Angela Brosso & Melanie Bernas, Serial Killer 1992-1993 *Guilty, sentenced to death*

I am happy to hear that the investigators are seriously looking into BPM into the disappearance of this young girl.

Police: 3rd victim may be linked to canal murder suspect
Megan Cassidy, The Republic | azcentral.com 7:21 a.m. MST November 17, 2015

hoenix police are investigating links between the city's notorious canal murders and the disappearance of a third girl from her Sunnyslope neighborhood more than 23 years ago.

In September, police submitted first-degree murder charges against alleged Bryan Patrick Miller, the suspect in the canal murders, in the presumed death of Brandy Myers, a 13-year-old girl whose missing-persons case has languished since 1992.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...tim-may-linked-canal-murder-suspect/75641070/

Wow, looks like BPM officially meets the definition of a SK as of this latest development. Read the full article and apparently he had explained the details of the Brandy Myers murder to his wife. He was living less than a mile from where she disappeared, and disposed of her dismembered remains in the trash for sanitation to pick up. Horrific, but the first thing it made me think of was the Diana Vicari case from 1992, due to it occurring the same year in the same general area, and involving disposal of dismembered remains in the garbage. MAJOR red flag there when compared to what apparently happened to Brandy Myers. Also, i'm curious about Miller being mentioned as an "interesting lead" in relations to the Shannon Aumock case, who disappeared from Phoenix in 1991 and who's remains were found out in the desert while the Brandy Myers search was ongoing. I strongly suspect that the two "Canal Murders" are just the tip of the iceburg.

I should clarify that the Diana Vicari case occurred in Tucson. In any case, we're still talking about the same state and time frame.

11/30/2015 6:24 pm PST
'ZOMBIE HUNTER': POLICE RELEASE NEW DETAILS IN ARIZONA CASE
A big development in a Crime Watch Daily exclusive investigation into the suspected serial killer known as the "Zombie Hunter."

Bryan Patrick Miller is accused of killing two Phoenix women more than two decades ago.

In a Crime Watch Daily interview, Miller's ex-wife said she believed there may be more victims that we hadn't heard about. Now police are releasing new details that all but confirm those suspicions.

A 13-year-old girl raising money for her school knocks on the wrong door, and Brandy Myers is never seen again

http://crimewatchdaily.com/2015/11/30/zombie-hunter-police-release-new-details-in-arizona-case/

Although most of his minutebpm 1.jpgbpm 2.jpgbpm 3.jpg entries are sealed, I decided to check out his case while I was in the records room at the courthouse. I took pictures of some of them with my cell phone, as printing them all would have ended up expensive. The are his "defenses" and/or mitigating circumstances. Why we should have mercy on him according to he and his lawyer. I hope they are readable, I will give it a try. I have to zoom on my computer to read them so here goes...

• Victim of physical abuse trauma from parent
  • Victim of emotional abuse trauma from parent
  • Victim of psychological abuse trauma from parent
  • Bryan was burned with cigarettes in adolescent years
  • Bryan's mother inflicted physical harm on Bryan
  • Bryan's mother used extreme fear tactics during parenting
  • Traumatic death of father
  • Loss of parental figure
  • Attachment disorder and related issues
  • Abandonment and ensuing consequences on Bryan's mental health
  • Depression
  • Family history of alcohol abuse
  • No substance use/abuse despite trauma in upbringing
  • Extreme anxiety
  • Victim of traumatic divorce
  • Victim of domestic violence
  • Sexual abuse victim
  • Traumatic death of family pet
  • Lack of structure during childhood development
  • Lack of stability during childhood development
  • Lack of parental supervision at an early age
  • No evidence of criminal history since 1992
  • Mental health issues
  • Emotional instability
  • Emotional dysregulation
  • Chronic maltreatment
  • Severe neglect
  • Mother received no pre-natal care
  • Lack of appropriate medical treatment
  • Lack of appropriate psychological treatment
  • Inadequate psychological services
  • Inadequate medical services
  • Trauma resulting from medical treatment
  • Institutional failure
  • Lack of early intervention
  • Poor coping mechanisms
  • Early exposure to violent literature
  • Early exposure to violent movies/shows
  • Early exposure to graphic material
  • Early exposure to *advertiser censored*
  • Alcoholism in family
  • Death of father at an early age
  • Isolation during childhood
  • Extreme isolation
  • Lack of positive peer relationships
  • Incidents where mother taunted Bryan maliciously
  • Incidents where mother smashed Bryan's head into the pavement
  • Incidents where mother threatened to cut off Bryan's penis
  • Racially discriminatory environment
  • Psychological effects associated with home confinement
  • Deprivation of freedom at an early age
  • Impaired relationships due to mother
  • Bryan was an only child
  • Mental health issues associated with hoarding
  • Victim of mothers anger issues
  • Bryan suffered from disassociative incidents
  • General head trauma
  • Brain injury
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Suicidal ideation
  • Inability to develop mature social bonds
  • Positive work history
  • Bryan's positive parenting skills
  • Bryan's artistic talents
  • Bryan obtained his GED
  • Participation in counseling
  • Positive involvement in sub culture
  • Positive relationships with friends as an adult
  • Positive relationships with women
  • Lack of social bonding to positive male role models
  • Lack of social bonding to positive female role models
  • Victim of being bullied
  • Family dysfunction
  • Positive life progress from date of offense to present
  • Impact of mothers death
  • Impact of maternal grandmothers death
  • Impact of mothers unhealthy relationships on Bryan
  • Bryan is naturally non-confrontational
  • Infidelity against him
    The defense investigation is till ongoing and incomplete. Experts are currently conduction evaluations and reviewing case material. The defense reserves the right to add to this list.

Any updates on this guy? Were they ever able to link him to Brandy's case?

Replying to MissMidge - At one time he was an active cyclist; and in recent years, though it didn't reflect much in his physical appearance, he somewhat rekindled his passion for cycling. The bikes in the shed were not actually that old, and I believe he still had the receipts for them.

A judge has rejected a bid to throw out DNA evidence against a man charged with sexually attacking and fatally stabbing two young women in separate attacks in the early 1990s while they were riding bikes near a canal system that winds through metro Phoenix.

Lawyers for Bryan Patrick Miller argued police violated his rights because they didn't have a warrant when collecting his DNA from a mug at a restaurant where he met with an undercover officer.

Authorities say DNA collected from the 2015 dinner linked Miller to the deaths of 22-year-old Angela Brosso in November 1992 and 17-year-old Melanie Bernas in September 1993.

In a ruling two weeks ago, Judge Suzanne Cohen explained Miller had no reasonable expectation of privacy for DNA left on a mug after he left the Chili's Grill & Bar location. "Customers who walk to a restaurant's exit, having left such items behind, implicitly communicate their intent to abandon them," Cohen wrote.

Brosso and Bernas disappeared in north Phoenix near the Arizona Canal. Brosso was found nude and decapitated in a field near a bike path that's adjacent to the canal.

Ten months later, Bernas' body was discovered floating in the canal. Authorities said semen evidence collected in the aftermath of both crimes showed the attacks were linked to the same suspect.

The killings faded from public attention after police were unable to link the DNA profile collected from the scenes to a specific suspect. The Phoenix Police Department's cold-case unit was on the cases again in 2011, according to court records.

In 2014, a genealogist who uses ancestry databases in her research was given access to the DNA gathered in the investigations and eventually came up with the last name Miller. Bryan Miller had been on the police department's list of investigative leads in the case, according to court records.

That led police to contact Miller to set up the dinner at the restaurant. The undercover officer posed as a security company employee trying to enlist Miller's help in conducting surveillance at a business located near Miller's employer.

Police said Miller denied any involvement in the killings but acknowledged living in the vicinity of the killings at the time and said he rode his bike on bike paths in the area.

Miller has pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, kidnapping, sexual assault and attempted sexual assault. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

His trial is scheduled for Sept. 21.
Bid to toss DNA evidence in Phoenix canal killings rejected

Here's a Daily Mail article from 2015. Lot's of photos, including one of a younger long-haired Miller.

Delivery Man By Day, Vigilante Zombie Hunter At The Wheel Of A Decommissioned Police Car By Night... 'Brutal Killer Who Decapitated Victim' In His Spare Time

"Miller appeared in court Wednesday without an attorney.

According to police, he denied any involvement in the killings during a police interview.

He acknowledged living in the vicinity at the time of the murders and that he rode his bike on the bike paths.

Jason Brosius, who worked with Miller at the time of his assault arrest in Everett, said he never saw Miller exhibit any strange behavior.

'He was kind of a quiet person but he wasn't anymore quiet than anybody else,' said Brosius, who still works at the same company, a provider of truck accessories. 'He didn't show any crazy, weird flags to me. He seemed pretty square.'

Brosius recalled how Miller moved right after his acquittal without saying much to anyone.

'He came back here, collected his personal stuff and that was the last anybody saw of him,' Brosius said. 'He said he was going back to Arizona, and that was it.'"

I have no idea how to post news clippings, someone brilliant please help. Bryan was the canal killer in Phoenix in the nineties and a very creepy person. He was also my paper boy. His trial is about to start soon.

Extremely sad case. One girl decapitated was just a high school freshman out for exercise on her bike.​

A judge has rejected a bid to throw out DNA evidence against a man charged with sexually attacking and fatally stabbing two young women in separate attacks in the early 1990s while they were riding bikes near a canal system that winds through metro Phoenix.

Lawyers for Bryan Patrick Miller argued police violated his rights because they didn't have a warrant when collecting his DNA from a mug at a restaurant where he met with an undercover officer.

Authorities say DNA collected from the 2015 dinner linked Miller to the deaths of 22-year-old Angela Brosso in November 1992 and 17-year-old Melanie Bernas in September 1993.

In a ruling two weeks ago, Judge Suzanne Cohen explained Miller had no reasonable expectation of privacy for DNA left on a mug after he left the Chili's Grill & Bar location. "Customers who walk to a restaurant's exit, having left such items behind, implicitly communicate their intent to abandon them," Cohen wrote.

Brosso and Bernas disappeared in north Phoenix near the Arizona Canal. Brosso was found nude and decapitated in a field near a bike path that's adjacent to the canal.

Ten months later, Bernas' body was discovered floating in the canal. Authorities said semen evidence collected in the aftermath of both crimes showed the attacks were linked to the same suspect.

The killings faded from public attention after police were unable to link the DNA profile collected from the scenes to a specific suspect. The Phoenix Police Department's cold-case unit was on the cases again in 2011, according to court records.

In 2014, a genealogist who uses ancestry databases in her research was given access to the DNA gathered in the investigations and eventually came up with the last name Miller. Bryan Miller had been on the police department's list of investigative leads in the case, according to court records.

That led police to contact Miller to set up the dinner at the restaurant. The undercover officer posed as a security company employee trying to enlist Miller's help in conducting surveillance at a business located near Miller's employer.

Police said Miller denied any involvement in the killings but acknowledged living in the vicinity of the killings at the time and said he rode his bike on bike paths in the area.

Miller has pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, kidnapping, sexual assault and attempted sexual assault. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

His trial is scheduled for Sept. 21.
Bid to toss DNA evidence in Phoenix canal killings rejected
He was my paper boy by the canal and asked me to look in his trunk where there was a headless woman’s torso he had made as an art project. I called it in to the police and quit the Arizona republic delivery service. The police didn’t take my call seriously and never filed it.

Man charged in Phoenix canal killings mentally fit for trial, judge rules

"In a ruling on Jan. 4, Superior Court Judge Suzanne Cohen agreed with two court-appointed mental health experts that Bryan Patrick Miller is psychologically competent to be tried on charges in the deaths of 22-year-old Angela Brosso in November 1992 and 17-year-old Melanie Bernas in September 1993."

The police didn’t take my call seriously and never filed it.

I worked in homeless services and he was a security guard in the dining hall where meals were served. I called after his arrest to ask that they look into a few similar murders of homeless women who would have trusted him. Nobody ever called me back and from the looks of it, they have never investigated that lead or took any interest in the possibility that he killed more than the two named victims.

I worked in homeless services and he was a security guard in the dining hall where meals were served. I called after his arrest to ask that they look into a few similar murders of homeless women who would have trusted him. Nobody ever called me back and from the looks of it, they have never investigated that lead or took any interest in the possibility that he killed more than the two named victims.
Sigh. Too bad, but I’m not surprised at that attitude

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back