AZ - Last words & prison letters of executed killer Robert Towery

Drugs (and alcoholism) change people. Every former addict on the "outside" of prison understands this. Rehabilitation programs involve understanding the hurts one has caused, feeling remorse, and apologizing to the victims.

Prisoners who have murdered someone under the influence of drugs, alcohol, associations with bad people, and unresolved anger are forced by nature of being "caged" to detox. Once enough time has gone by that they return to themselves, some are TRUELY remorseful and can't believe the things they did while under the influence.

It looks to me like this man had family that loved him and he lived to "let that in" and understand the harm he caused to so many people. They probably are beyond heartbroken that the once innocent child they knew was beyond reach in his years of pain, addiction, and turmoil that turned criminal.

I feel sure there are lessons to take from this situation. For me, it confirms that I would be VERY aggressive at intervention if my child was heading in a bad direction. - - But most of these kids have parents who probably needed intervention themselves. :(

So, yeah he killed, and yeah, he had to be caged to be stopped. I just think it is very sad all around for everyone. And I do believe that compassion and understanding the root of the problem is the only way to break this cycle.

I understand where you're coming from. And I agree. But this story doesn't mention Towery was on drugs or drunk when this crime was committed. It appears to have been totally premeditated. It wasn't a crime of passion.

I'm not a 100% eye-for-an-eye kinda gal. But I do believe that, sometimes, people who murder forfeit their right to breathe.

Mr. Towery seems to have been remorseful. However, by his own admission, he made the wrong choices time after time. HE KNEW he was making the wrong choices, but did so anyway.

There is another case here on WS involving the horrific abuse and death of an infant at the hands of three adults. None of them were given the DP, but they all should have been, IMO. The fact that they're all still breathing precious oxygen, even if they are locked up, is so unbelievably unfair and unjust. None of them will ever serve any positive or worthy purpose on this earth.

Some people just don't belong here.

There is another case here on WS involving the horrific abuse and death of an infant at the hands of three adults. None of them were given the DP, but they all should have been, IMO. The fact that they're all still breathing precious oxygen, even if they are locked up, is so unbelievably unfair and unjust. None of them will ever serve any positive or worthy purpose on this earth.

Totally agree. The suffering and murder of a child is inexcusable. It is a situation of the powerful preying on the weak, making the perpetrators more like animals than human, and those who are capable of that have nothing to offer in the way of research or reform, IMO.

I understand where you're coming from. And I agree. But this story doesn't mention Towery was on drugs or drunk when this crime was committed. It appears to have been totally premeditated. It wasn't a crime of passion.

I'm not a 100% eye-for-an-eye kinda gal. But I do believe that, sometimes, people who murder forfeit their right to breathe.

Mr. Towery seems to have been remorseful. However, by his own admission, he made the wrong choices time after time. HE KNEW he was making the wrong choices, but did so anyway.

I agree with you, Fairy1. As hard as it is for me to even type it, I am an advocate of the death penalty. I didn't reach that position easily and have not always taken this position.

But the reality is that, as our population is exploding, the prison populations are also. I am not comforted by "life without parole" convictions for several reasons.

A number of different scenarios could release these people back out into the world. I still remember prisoners released as Hurricane Katrina hit and it made me realize that earthquakes, fires, any number of natural and man-made disasters could put these people out on the streets. Then they will practically outnumber us. Prisoners also escape constantly. I have lived in several different places where there were manhunts for escaped convicted murderers. Once, I couldn't get into my own house because my street was blockaded by police cars as they did a house to house search. He wasn't found and none of us wanted to go back to our houses for fear he had just hidden himself well. :eek:

Another factor is that this earth only has so many resources to support the population density. We are already hoping there will be some brilliant minds that can figure out how to provide enough food and water for the next generations. We have seen for way too long that prisoners get a higher priority for life sustaining services than those living in law abiding poverty. Medical care is a HUGE issue and there are many innocent people who have never done anything wrong that can't get basic healthcare. Should we, collectively, have to support depraved human predators when decent people die for lack?

It makes more sense to me to provide incentives and early intervention for at-risk youth and then eliminate from existence those who choose to prey on innocents. I know it is radical, but I'm coming to believe a person might need to earn the right to bring children into this world with some kind of certification. This would, at the least, create a sense of value for children People who cannot or WILL not care for a baby should not be allowed to produce them simply as a means for support via our collective "goodwill". I also wish every child that was born was assigned a caseworker to assess their personal situation. We send far too many innocent babies into lives of hell on earth and then wonder why the prisons are full.

We have seen for way too long that prisoners get a higher priority for life sustaining services than those living in law abiding poverty.

I agree.

While I am against the DP and believe cost should never be a factor in this debate, I think that there should be a tremendous effort toward prison reform.

I believe that while it would benefit society that some criminals be given access to education and therapy, there is no point with those who are sentenced to life in prison. And life in prison should actually mean life in prison.

Prison is meant to be punishment. TV, commissary privileges, conjugal visits, prison football teams, etc and so on, are not punishment in my opinion. There should be restrictions on who can visit and correspond with the prisoner as well.

I believe prisoners should be put to work for the government. Prisoners should work for their boarding, food, and medical expenses while providing labor otherwise paid for by high-priced and often crooked government contracts.

Low security prisoners can be bused somewhere daily to work on highway and construction projects, areas where volunteers are sorely needed, etc. High security prisoners can be put to work within the prison in laundry, kitchen, etc. Work can be brought in--manufacture, web and graphic design, machine repair, etc. Companies can contract with the prison system and pay prisoners minimum wage with the majority being deducted for living expenses--housing, food, and medical. They can save and pay for classes, etc.

I believe prisons should be self-sustaining as much as possible, with prisoners being required to raise chickens, milk cows, and grow vegetables. Those with the skill should be required to maintain the prison through repairs, painting, etc.

Those who refuse to work refuse to eat and receive medical care. It's not the prison system starving them, it's the prisoners making the choice not to provide for themselves. Law-abiding citizens on the outside go without food or shelter when they are jobless--prisoners should be expected to do the same.

This is not cruel and unusual punishment, but rather an expectation of prisoners to provide for themselves just like everyone else in society. In addition, it would actually improve the lives of most prisoners by giving them a feeling of competency and social responsibility.

The lack of media and awareness of the outside changing world is not a problem for me either. Discharged military have to be "debriefed" before returning to civilian life--prisoners should as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back